Carrer del Port S/N, Cala'n Bosch, 07760, Spain

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Valentin Star Hotel

Fabulous hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member RLS1

Just returned from a great holiday at Valentin Star Hotel.

We booked our stay independently through travelrepublic.co.uk. Upon arrival at the hotel we were informed that there had been a problem with our booking, and we were sent to Grupotel Club Turquesa Mar for our first night. This was the only disappointment of the holiday - we felt that the Turquesa Mar was of a lesser standard than the Valentin Star. The staff at Valentin Star were very apologetic, and gave us a bottle of champagne and a fruit basket upon our return, but as we were only in Menorca for six days this was a big inconvenience for us. I would not recommend booking through travelrepublic.co.uk.

However, once we had returned to the Valentin Star, the rest of the holiday was superb. We were lucky enough to be allocated a room overlooking the pool. Rooms were spacious and clean. We were also very impressed with the food available in the restaurant - as a vegetarian I had worried about how much variety there would be for me, but I had no problems. Food was of a good quality and service was excellent. This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

We didn't have any trouble getting sunbeds around the pool but I think it may be a struggle during the school holidays. The pool itself is huge!

We found the entertainment in the evening to be very enjoyable and sat out on the terrace every night.

The hotel itself is located just 5 mins walk from the beach and in front of the Cala N Bosch marina. The resort itself is fairly quiet, with only a few restaurants and bars - ideal for families and couples.

All in all a great hotel - the only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because of the booking error.

Great Hotel, excellent location!

by TripAdvisor Member Kazza_282

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the Valentin Star, it was a long transfer of over an hour and a half, but well worth it. Hotel was immaculate the whole time we were there. Reception staff were a bit miserable but all other staff we're impeccable! Pool is huge, ideal for toddlers as it has a baby pool plus shallow end. Sadly we didn't have a pool view room, but couldn't complain, it was a large room, with nice bathroom and equipped with a decent hair dryer!
Food in the restaurant was ok, admittedly like a canteen, but there was always a big selection and staff were always pleasant.
CalanBosch is a quiet resort, lots of bars, no clubs. Great beach but quite busy as it's only small. We hired a car and went to Cala Mitjana, beautiful beach visited by the locals more than Brits and perfect for Snorkelling, would definitely recommend a visit. I would definitely return to this hotel - it's perfect for relaxing - you will never want to leave the pool side! Words of Advice, don't pay for late check-out prior to going, you can pay for it there for 20 euros. However we didn't bother as they let you use a room and have a shower free of charge. Drinks are more expensive than in the local shops, but you're on holiday - who cares!!!

Great relaxing holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Bowerino

Just returned from a great relaxing holiday at the Valentin Star. As other reviewers have said the hotel is lovely and clean. Our bedroom was great with a huge bed. Our terrace looked out onto one of the side roads - which I was a little disapointed with after the great reviews of having a pool view however it turned out to be lovely and quiet

Now the food seems to have got some bad reviews but to be honest I couldn't fault it. We went to dinner approx 1 hour into service and the selection of food was great I believe even a fussy eater could find something they could enjoy - also found the temperature of the food fine. With all buffets I believe you can get the feeling of being in a canteen but overall I thought the service was excellent and actually looked forward to meal times.

To be honest we spent all of our holiday by the pool and we were still able to get loungers after 9. People semed to come and go so you could always wait at the bar until one came free. Pool was a great size and the children seemed to love it. It was freezing to begin with though!!!

Nightly entertainment was so so some nights better than others. Bar service was great when you first sat down but for the 2nd or 3rd round it was a nightmare to get the waiter/waitress attention. Drinks also seemed expensive approx £3 for pint and £4.50 for a vodka and coke. Wine however was more reasonally and we had a couple of good bottles of wine for approx £9/£10

Overall if you enjoy a nice quiet relaxing holiday this is a great hotel to visit . I would just like to thank all the previous reviews for this hotel as it helped me pick this hotel for our holiday. We definately consider staying here again

Great hotel and pool

by TripAdvisor Member Taitys

We’ve just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Valentin Star which we enjoyed very much. Hotel was extremely clean both inside and around the pool area. The pool was fantastic for babies and toddlers and there was plenty of room for swimming if you wanted to. Our room was situated behind the stage area, so no chance of an early night for little ones until the music had ended usually around 11.30pm. Entertainment was a bit of a let down, apart from the odd tribute band. The downside of the holiday was the cramped table arrangements in the dining room, where there were never enough high chairs and when you did manage to get hold of one there was sometimes no room to fit it in because of the close proximity of the next table. Buffet area was total chaos with lots of people milling around in different directions trying to find everything they needed, so if your food wasnt cold when it was served it certainly was by the time you made it back to your seat. Restaurant staff were always very polite and friendly, but I couldn't help feel that they were being told to do so as it did seem a bit pretentious to say the least.
On a final note don't post your post cards in the hotel box as they never actually arrive, we posted them a 6 weeks ago and still no sign of them!
After all that, I would still recommend the hotel and would certainly go back again in the future.

Relaxing stay

by TripAdvisor Member KatyJS

Have recently returned from a 14 day stay at the Valentin Star, travelling as a family with a toddler and baby (3 years, 7 months).
The hotel accommodation was fabulous - I couldn't fault it. Our room was large and easily accommodated the 4 of us (my son on the pull out bed and a cot for my daughter). The bathroom was also very spacious. The room was cleaned every day and bed linen changed twice weekly, as per the norm.
Public areas were well furnished and kept spotlessly clean.

I had previously e-mailed the hotel to request a pool view room on the upper floor, and was pleased to note on arrival that this is exactly what we had been allocated. I would recommend requesting a pool view as some of the balconies and terraces on the other side of the hotel overlook a road and/or bars so not too sure if they may be a little noisy.

The swimming pool was probably the hotels best feature - large enough not to ever get crowded and also perfect for babies and small children as the shallow end shelves very gently,
The hotel does remove towels to prevent people reserving sunbeds so you could usually find a sunbed even if you didn't make it down to the pool until 11.

The food was perfectly reasonable and what I would expect from a 4* hotel buffet, however the dining experience is somewhat hectic due to the rather cramped area where the food is displayed and also the close proximity of the tables to each other. There were also a lot of babies/toddlers there during our first week, so a lot of highchairs only added to the somewhat cramped feel. This eased for the second week however and according to the bar staff, by August the hotels clientele is mainly couples. Having said this, the dining room is managed by what must be the most efficient Maitre'D I have ever encountered, and the staff were also very efficient and friendly.

The evening entertainment was mixed but generally better than the average hotel offering. The only gripe is that there did not appear to be enough waiting staff in the evenings, so it was quicker to go to the bar yourself to get drinks. There was a (very short) mini-disco most evenings for the children but other than that there were no organised childrens activities - not a problem if you are looking for a relaxing break like we were, but if you are looking for non-stop action then you may be disappointed.

Overall this is a high quality hotel in an excellent location. I would highly recommend it to others and would also happily return there myself.

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member rache3l

On arrival
We arrived at 1 am to be told of a problem with the booking, we would have to come back in 2 days, they arranged a taxi and sent us to the all inclusive turquesa de mar in son xoriguer. While this didn't bother us there were a few people who didn't like living out of a suitcase and the food there was not great, but drinks on tap, breakfast, continental breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea & cakes and dinner made up for it. On return to the Valentin Star we received a bottle of Cava and a fruit basket.

Room
We were lucky to have a lovely room facing the pool so we could watch the entertainment from the veranda, the room had aircon, radio, hairdryer, sat tv (sky news, german & spanish channels) and also a fridge & safe at a cost. The safe costs 2 euros per day. On a night the hotel was very quiet there were no disturbances and I a light sleeper slept soundly.

Pool
The pool was lovely and the surrounding area well maintained and clean. After staying the Turqueisa de mar it was nice to come here to the peace and quiet. My only complaint about the pool are the sunbeds are closely packed together and not very comfy. You have to get up at about 9am to bag a bed. There are plenty of parasols and areas where you can find shade. There is background music all the time in the pool and also in the dining area which can be annoying.

Dining room
In my opinion this is where the hotel let itself down. The tables are very closely packed together and there aren't enough staff to clear the tables in between courses they're usually busy setting tables.

Food
The food is ok, there was usually something i liked, but a couple of times i had to have soup and salad. Although the waiting staff are friendly and polite they don't know what was being served, when i asked what the soup labelled 'no meat' was they couldn't tell me. The show cook didn't seem to put much out. Desserts were a let down, mainly comprising of jellies, mousse, rice pudding, sponge cakes and fruit.

Bar
At lunch service is very good, you can get steaks, grilled chicken, pork, salads etc for a reasonable price and they serve quickly. On an evening the service, for drinks, is very slow.

Staff
Are all very friendly and polite, I think it's in the job description for them to coo at all the little ones.

Entertainment
Was ok, we watched the beatles and queen's we will rock you tribute bands. The magician was very bad. The acts were usually finished before 11pm.

Resort
The resort centers around the marina area, there are just enough bars and restaurants for a two week stay. The resort is flat and easy to get round. There are planty of supermarkets and souvenir shops (postcards, beach stuff) and an activity centre for children.

Beach
The sandy beach at cala n bosch is beautiful and clean and only minutes from the hotel. The negatives are the jellyfish, no toilets
and the expense, two beds and parasol cost 18 euros per day! The sand and shingle beach at Son Xorgier is not as nice.

Tranfer
We arranged through a company for a taxi to collect and return us to the airport it cost about £90, but was well worth it.

Very relaxing and pleasant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mathusulah

We got back from Menorca on Saturday, after a week, half board, in a relaxing and pleasant hotel. The staff are very accommodating, the hotel and local area is spotless and well kept.

We booked through Expedia - excellent service and great communication. The only downside was that there was no transfers arranged - as there were three of us, me, my wife and our 13 year old son, we opted for a hire car - booked with Expedia before departure.

We arrived at Mahon and while waiting for the baggage I got the car sorted out with very helpful Hertz staff, I agreed to pay full insurance and they upgraded the model to a saloon. As soon as we were ready we went and picked up the car, and set off on my first overseas drive! Fortunately the traffic is nothing like over here, so we were fine - we had taken our Tom Tom with European maps which proved a Godsend.

When we got to the Hotel we found reserved parking, the key was available from reception for 10 Euros (refunded on return).

Our bags were taken to the room and when we got there we found that our room did not overlook the pool, as requested, we went back to reception to be told that there were none available, we accepted this as we weren't bothered, our room overlooked the small shopping area to the rear of the Hotel, as we got to know the Hotel we think ours was probably one of the best - quiet, not close enough to the kitchens, not overlooking the bars and although overlooking the pool would have been ideal, that does mean a certain lack of privacy.

The pool is exceptional - it does get a little busy at times, but its clean and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. My son met some new friends and they spent most days playing in the pool, my wife and I both swim and managed to enjoy the pool as well.

Food is typical hotel buffet breakfast, evening meals had loads of choice, a little lacking in fresh vegetables but plenty of salads, meat dishes, hot and cold and a wide variety of cakes and pastries for dessert.

Drinks are extra with the evening meal.

After the evening meal we retired to the bar and enjoyed watching the sun set over the roof of the hotel. The evening entertainment wont win any talent shows, but they were different every night and inoffensive.

I also went out and visited the local bars - the Shamrock run by Irish staff was fine, I met a few tourists from other Hotels who had been told that the Valentin Star was the better in the area - obviously I could not compare but it was good to hear!

We used the hire car most days and visited Cuitadella in the mornings, and had lunch in the main square - es Quiosc - cheap and great service for coffees, sprite and a snack, pizza, sandwich - 12 Euros for all three of us!

We also went to Galdana on recommendation (about 45mins drive) - a much larger beach than the local beach, my son and I spent a couple of hours snorkelling, amazing life in the rocks and alcoves.

We also drove out to Punta Nati - a lighthouse on the northern coast - the landscape was breathtaking - and absolutely silent - something I have never experienced in the UK.

Main recommendations:
Hire a car - see more than just the local area
Visit Cuitadella - shops, architecture and cheap, good food and drinks - market on Friday morning.

Not five stars because: entertainment, food.

Great time

by TripAdvisor Member shelboy

Lovely clean hotel, well situated by the marina for cafes, bars and restaurants.

The service and staff were very friendly. The main gripe was with the restaurant. Breakfast was fine but the evening resembled a school canteen and the meals were warm rather than hot (but when reading reviews that seems to be the way the Spanish have things).

We had a pool room which was great with a balcony overlooking the stage. Finished about 11-11.30 so didn't seem too late as some people have suggested. When we shut the balcony door you could hardly hea anything so slept very well. As usual the entertainment was a mixed bag.

Good to hear from recent reviews that can't reserve pool loungers. To avoid lounger rage we went to the beach along the coastline. The Cala'n Bosch beach was a bit crowded and small but the one at Son Xorgieur (forgive spelling) was great and there are some little beaches/coves along the way.

A great holiday but not cheap though. Good restaurants were La Fontane and Chaplins.

Great hotel- disappointing resort

by TripAdvisor Member Ricardo78

We selected this hotel having read the reviews on tripadvisor. The hotel is situated in a fairly cramped and built up area around a fairly low class marina. This is a classic example of the British invasion of Spain- with out any of the redeming features of a vibrant nightlife. The resort is ok for family's other might get bored. The beach is ok- but probably one of the worst we visited on the island.

The hotel itself is great. The rooms are very clean and fairly spacious. The air conditioning works well and the you just have a sense of quality in all the fittings and fixtures.

The food is good. However the restaurant can become a little busy at meal times- and fills up with alot of screaming kids! If you sit outside you can avoid that though!

The major downside of our stay was the rudeness of the other British guests, who were pretty embarrassing and turned a really nice hotel into Butlins. It was pram and tatoo central. The hotel staff however are very friendly and couldn't be faulted.

The pool area is great- but we could never get a lounger as the old folks had all gotten up early and taken them.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CheshireBonnie

I can only say that those who have given this hotel a poor rating must be extremely hard to please.

The hotel was fantastic, there was absolutely nothing to complain about. The pool is huge, I expect it could get a bit crowded in school holidays - but where doesn't? The rooms were a good size, we had a view of the marina, and were extremely clean - towels changed daily.

We were half board and even though the food was a bit 'samey' by the end of the week, there was plenty of choise and it was always hot - even when we had a power cut - not just the hotel, but the whole resort!

The staff were great, very friendly and keen to please. We didn't see much of the entertainment, as we tended to go out for a walk after our evening meal, but that we did see was good and it was all finished by 11pm.

We took two 17 year old boys with us, who had a fabulous time in the resort - even though there are only a limited number of pubs for them to visit. There room was alway messy - typical 17 year old stuff - but the maid never complained, even when they stayed in bed late, she went back to make the beds etc.

Comments