3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 103% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• maykal's Profile Photo

Hostal Cala Saona

The Hostal Cala Saona dominates the bay of the same name. It is not huge, with about 50 rooms, and has a small pool and a sunbathing terrace with views down to the beach. A restaurant served up the usual package holiday nightmares...buffets offering many opportunities to play "what the Hell's that?!" The poolside bar was THE place to be as the sun set behind the yachts in the bay...and that was really the only evening entertainment that there was. However, we generally hated organised entertainment on holiday, so this suited us fine.

Unique Quality: Cala Saona is quite a long way from anywhere, as things go on Formentera...apart from the hotel, there were just a few villas among the pines and a beach bar or two. That was part of the attraction.

Directions: Cala Saona is on the west coast of the island.

More about Cala Saona

by BurgerQueen

Cala Saona is a wonderful beach on the West coast of Formentera. Being located on a bay, it is very intimate and quiet.
Because of its wonderful waters, Cala Saona is also appreciated by jelly fishes.. I got "beaten" while I was quietly resting close to the beach! But no worries, lifeguards are equipped with liters of ammonia :-D
Be careful, it could not be worthy if too busy...

by maykal

Cala Saona has one of the best beaches on the island, and never really gets too crowded. The water is usually calm, and it is a favourite place for yachts to moor. The beach also attracts nudists, which somewhat shocked my parents...by the end of the holiday, my Mum had become an expert at discreetly photographing them as they sunbathed unawares, while my Dad developed a keen interest in snorkelling!! Tourists of a different kind entirely sometimes float into the bay...jellyfish. I imagine it would sting something chronic if you accidentally swam into one of those while taking a break from nude sunbathing...ouch!

by DPando

On my first trip to Formentera before i know every nook in the island i reckon this beach as one of the best but no way, its crowded so many italians, and its kust like a resort
In my second time few days ago i didnt go, some friends went some days before and they talk ***s about this place..

if you like isolated places with nobody next to you this is not the proper place.. besides its not a nudist beach.. (italians dont use to do it, lol) so a real good reason to dont go again

Isla Formentera...Benvinguts!

by maykal

Formentera was the last "hot" holiday with my family. After the two successful holidays on La Gomera (I chose the destination that time...I was only 11!), it was down to me again to choose the summer 1993 holiday...my suggestions of Gambia and the Caribbean went down like a tonne of bricks, but Formentera seemed to get a better reaction. We settled on two weeks at the Hostal Cala Saona.

I am a fan of islands, particularly small and remote ones...while Formentera is certainly not remote, it wasn't exactly on everyone's lips, and it definitely qualified as small. Reached by boat from its bigger brasher neighbour, Ibiza, Formentera is a paradise for beach lovers and lazy cyclists...and, much to my Mum's surprise and my dad's delight, nudists!

It was very much a beach holiday, but we did hire mopeds and a car to tour the island, and found that there is a lot more to Formentera than first meets the eye.

Cala SaonaCala Saona