Gran Hotel Uto Palace

Avinguda Joan Miro 303, Sant Agustí, San Agustin, 07015, Spain

More about Majorca Island

Beautiful ground and well kept poolsBeautiful ground and well kept pools

Ruth on the GR 221Ruth on the GR 221

Steep streets in FornalutxSteep streets in Fornalutx

View of Sa Placa from the Misteris crossView of Sa Placa from the Misteris cross

Cycling in Majorca - from Cala Millor as a base?

by tango_jd

Has anyone experience of cycling possibilities around Cala Millor?
I started to plan out a route to the Caves of Arta but there is no back-roads route. It looks like I have to go a few kilometers along the MA-4030 which looks like a fast dual carriageway (not really cycling friendly I wouldn't think).
As the Irish say "you can't get to there from here".
Or - am I wrong?
I can, however, see that I can get to Portocristo OK along the coast.
Has anyone been to Cala Bona/Cala Millor and hired a bike for any distance?

by Windsailor

Yes, you can use cala Millor as a good cycling base. There are mainly lowlands, rather flat land dedicated to agriculture with secondary roads all around. I´m not a cyclist, so maybe I don´t really know how the roads should be, but these roads are generally in a good condition and they take you through fields and by the side of the roads you can see local masias, or farmhouses in english.
Village of Son Servera is near with a ineteresting unfinished church (construction started year 1905). Canyamel,a small village with a beautiful beach, is only a few kilometres north. And of course, Cala Millor is nearer to the Island of Ibiza, than it is to the capital city of Mallorca Palma by 10 kilometres or so. But, as I wrote before, I really don´t know if these roads are apropiate for cycling because they are in general local roads used for local traffic. There might be some heavy truck traffic too coming from the fields and villages?. Anyway, if you cycle there one day, let me know how it was.

Thank you!
That is two interesting cycling excursions I can look-forward to.
I looked on Google Maps and th eroads don't look too bad at all.
The main M4030 looks rather motorway-like so is probably best avoided but there looks to be smaller roads - especially the coast road to Canyamel - that should be OK.
I'll take my camera when we go in June.

by tango_jd

We have just returned from a lovely holiday in Cala Bona and, yes, it was a super location for doing some cycling.
Unfortunately, my wife broke a bone in her foot a few weeks before so we didn't actually DO any cycling this time but plan to go back.

The whole week was great - apart from one rather upsetting incident in Porto Christo when we sat in a (German-run) cafe on the marina and were studiously ignored and not served for 20 minutes. This also happened to another English family but the staff came and cleared tables either side of us and served a German family whilst totally ignoring us!
We just got up and left but I intend to write to the town council or whatever.....

by tango_jd

Update: We ARE returning to Cala Bona in September 2011 - I will be doing some cycling then at last!

Travel Tips for Majorca Island

~ For All That You Couldnt Pack ~

by Heavens-Mirror

The Hire Centre is perfect for all those things you couldnt pack & would probably need on holiday..... Whatever you need these will sure have it!!
They hire out Wheelchairs and Mobility Scooters with free delivery
direct to your hotel within a 10km. Radius of Magaluf. Deliveries can also be arranged to any resort on the island, subject to a delivery charge.

* * * NEED SOMETHING FOR THE CHILDREN? * * *
Cots, Highchairs, Baby walkers, Children?s Car Seats, Play Pens and Buggies etc.
Includes free delivery within 10km of Magaluf.
* * * NEED SOMETHING COOL? * * *
Fans, Fridges, Electric to a Mini Coolers and cool boxes.
* * * SOMETHING FOR THE APARTMENT * * *
We have a large range of items available for all your needs?.
Kettles, Toasters, Irons, Hairdryers, Microwaves and Much Much More.

In Summer the Shop is open 10am to 5pm
Contact available by mobile 650 40 12 40 until 8.30pm.
In Winter the shop is open 10am to 2pm, out of office hours by arrangement. (through out the year).
They are closed on a sunday in the Winter months.

you can ring Gilly or Phill on (0034) 971 131 910 or (0034) 650 40 12 40 or by email on
hireit@hotmail.com. They will give you as much help as they can.
Hire Centre
South West, Magaluf
Avda. S'olivera
Opposite McDonalds
Magaluf
Mallorca

Everything easy by Stelios

by sourbugger

It is rumoured that Palma will be on the route of 'EasyCruise' the new venture from Stelios the founder of Easyjet. He will be offering cabins for as little as 29 pounds a nigh - but don't expect and 'frills of any kind'.

Palma looks like a perfect base from summer 2005, as he already flies from several destinations to Palma.

I've worked out that if you are England next year you will be able to spend the night in Easydorm (a hostel), book your EasyCruise in the local EasyinternetCafe. Then Take an EasyBus to the airport, fly on Easyjet to Palma, pick up your Easycar to drive to a hotel booked through an Easyjet affiliate, before going on Your EasyCruise ! Easy.

Update : 2005 - In the event Stelios went for the French / Italian riveria for EasyCruise1,but Palma may well be a later base if the first big orange cruiseship proves to be a winner.

Artà.

by Maurizioago

After having visited the castle of Capdepera you could go to Artà.

In this town you can visit the church of S. Salvador, dating from the 13th century. It is built on the site of a Moorish Alcazar.

Artà lies in the north-east corner of the island. Approximately 70 km. from Palma.

Very late meals

by KeenTraveller08

We just returned from Cala Millor resort and had been surprised to discover that practically noone was eating in the diners even as late as 9pm. Tourists and locals were mainly sipping on their drinks for the whole evening. But the meals are still available at any time of the day, so no shame in eating at the time convenient for you. Just don't be surprised if the diners are not full until later at night and that noone apart from you is eating.

Our walk -- Soller to Inca.

by into-thin-air

As I have previously stated in my introduction, part of our little Majorca trip was a planned walk from Soller to Inca.
These next Sports Travel tips are how we broke this walk down into three stages and why we chose to break them down this way.
I hope that they are of use to anyone planning this route.

Comments