Gran Playa Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

More about Gran Playa Hotel

comfort at Gran Playa

by TripAdvisor Member rustyNI

Just back from Gran Playa, Sa Coma. After reading reviews we had tried to cancel holiday but would have lost half payment. Anyway went and enjoyed it. The staff were very nice and helpful, not like that reviewed, from the reception staff till the cleaners they could'nt have done anymore for us. The food is that of any Spanish all inclusive basic rice dishes and meat in various sauces. We fond something everyday that suited us to eat the apartments were clean and comfortable with cleaning done everyday except Sunday (but on request they would have cleaned). Entertainement was very suited to kids and our 7 yr old and 20mth loved the crack. I would imagine high season to be crazy but thats what you want. Would go again, this time maybe leave until May as not all the shops, etc were open.

Not bad for the money

by TripAdvisor Member Zoopa

We stayed for 13 nights at the Gran Playa - after reading the reviews was worried. However was pleasently surprised.
Location was good, apartment adequate and cleaned most days and sheets changed 3 times during our stay. Staff friendly as long as you were friendly to them. Food ok for what we paid. You can't expect gourmet on a cheap holiday. Plenty of sun beds and space around the pools, which were very clean.

However during the peak season the hotel does seems more geered to families with children under 10, We had teenagers who were a bit bored until they met up with similar teenagers
and are now saying it was the best holiday ever.

All in all good value for money. For a cheap holiday it wasn't bad.

EVENTFUL!

by TripAdvisor Member claretschris

Gran Playa! What can i say?
Myself my wife and two sons aged 14 and 10 arrived around 2 in the afternoon running about an hour late which was ok. On arrival the sour faced receptionist asked for a 20 Euro deposit for our all inclusive wristbands and did not even give us a welcome, a smile,a thank you or a DID YOU HAVE A PLEASANT JOURNEY!
That very same person had the same attitude all week not just with the English but with all nationalities.
The only plus side to her attitude was that she informed us that the restaurant was still open until 3 pm.
We actually had a great week,because that is what we do as a family.Although the weather let us down a little it did not affect us too much and the resort is actually very nice,with a lovely beach,plenty of friendly bars(English or otherwise) and when the sun shines whereever you go to eat or drink it is reasonably priced.
The cleaning staff in the hotel are a credit to themselves and they keep the rooms spotless with the resources they have,they are also cheerful and nothing is too much trouble.All towels and bedding are changed throughout the week and the rubbish always cleared.
There was a strip club below our room but we heard nothing from them at all so it can be ignored during your stay,My 10 year old wanted to go and have a look but the wife said NO.
The restaurant waiting staff were efficient,with tables being cleared promptly and their manner was pleasant, even under pressure.
The bar staff seemed to be of the same elk as the receptionist we met on the first day and throughout the week,not interested in our stay and as a test i tipped one member of staff during the week and lo and behold my wish was his command?
To me that is wrong, We pay good money to be treated with a little bit of respect and for myself and my family to have a good time that we spend a good majority of our working year trying to acheive.
Don't get me wrong we are a very UP AND AT EM family and we were going to enjoy ourselves no matter what,but a little common courtesy wouldn't go a miss now would it?

To end my epic i would like to say that Sa Coma is a lovely place on the east coast and if the weather is fantastic then you will have a great time.
Lots of areas to walk and plenty to occupy you,especially if you like a drink.
The cleaning staff were the best in the building!

Maybe they should be running it ?

Reasonable and clean

by TripAdvisor Member Pink_Flingo

We booked this hotel after reading the very positive reviews in June. A few days before I checked again and saw all the very negative ones. Left with trepidation, I wondered what we had let ourselves in for.

Thankfully, on arrival (at 3 am after a delayed flight), the receptionist was polite even though we had just woken him up. He asked if we wanted any food, and told us where we could get water from.

Breakfast was the best meal of the day - with plenty of choice - cereal, fry, fruit, toast. Lunch and Dinner were pretty much of a muchness, with a strange range of food that didn't really make a "meal". There were always chips, bread and salad though. Warning - there is no provision for vegetarians, most of the rice and pasta dishes contained either meat or fish stirred in with them.

There is an entertainments programme throughout the day - pretty standard to all inclusive hotels, with "stretching", shooting, volleyball, etc. Sandy and his friend work hard running these through the day and then leading the bingo and other entertainment in the evening (we got involved in a game called "Go Fetch" - maybe not entirely suited to a family hotel, but good fun was had by all!).

The drinks rule of one per person is again standard in many AI hotels - although the servings were rather meagre. The beer was highly drinkable, and the juices, fizzy drinks and ice drinks were fine too. Ice cream is available on a help yourself basis form the pool bar, also tasty cakes (and inedible looking sandwiches!).

Overall, the hotel was clean, the staff were polite (we were only there 3 days, but when we greeted them in Spanish, they would smile and be polite back), although it could do with renovation. I'm not sure it was worthy of 3 stars - more a good 2 star rating, but it did what we wanted it to.

The facts about Gran Playa and why you should avoid

by TripAdvisor Member smiler1974

My wife , 14 yr old son and his mate arrived at the Gran Playa on the 10th September.
We arrived at 11.30am and was greeted by the same sour faced receptionist i think most of the other reviewers encountered.
But did they know that she was actually english.
We were shown where to store our cases as the room was not ready yet but were not able to get our wristbands but when i went to the pool bar to get a drink they didn't notice anyway.
The room was ready an hour later and we were in room 113.
Clean and basic with 2 coaches for the boys to sleep on and a nice big balcony.
Rooms were cleaned daily except Thursdays and sundays and clean towels always provided.
Unfortunately there was a waste pipe located behind our bedroom wall which made an awful noise when people in the apartments above flushed their toilets.
I didn't complain (why i hear you ask) because we booked with an online accomodation site i didn't think their was much point.
if we would of had a rep then maybe i would of.
The food was TERRIBLE breakfast consisted of stale cereals with UHT milk, Pate , Cheeses and Chopped meats alond with Beans, The fattiest bacon i have ever seen and cold undercooked fried eggs.
Lunch and dinner were no better with a variety of dishes including rabbit with onions, frog fish with pepper sauce and rice dishes that my son said tasted like rice pudding.
Entertainment was non existent mainly due to lack of participation the only action during the day was shooting in the morning.
Evening entertainment was rubbish and aimed at the german/dutch guests and small children.
The evening venue was non smoking which is fine but because you had to go out to smoke everyone was served drinks in plastic glasses the only exception to this was in the dining room.
Lots of sunbeds on offer but not enough parasols.
pools were clean.
Sa coma itself was lovely and Majorca as a whole was nice but in the future i will go to palma nova.
if you require any further info do not hesitate to contact me at daniel.tuley@vodafone.com

Why you would want to stay here I have no Idea!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Kcozy

Well, where do I start with this hotel. We arrived around 9pm on the saturday night & the restaurant had just closed. we asked if they could arrange for some food & they gave us 2 loaves of bread, cheese & salad after 2 hours of requesting this. The staff were very very rude and obviously didnt want to be there espcially the english lady who didnt seemed bothered about helping anyone.
The food wa absolutely disgusting. I would feed my 2 dogs with the food that was served. there was no kids selection whatso ever so my 5 yr old son lived of bread cheese & butter.
We ended up eating out every night incurring another £300 on top of what we had already paid for what was an all inclusive holiday.
the rooms were clean & maids did come in every other day to make beds. seemed as tho the hotel could have once been a self catering hotel as there were cooking facitiles available and a fridge in your room.
the pool was ok, the tiles were starting to come away on the childrens pool & my son slipped on the bit around the pool that let the water drain away. this could have broken his leg as it came away really easily.
No english family were happy witht he hotel. there were alot of Germans in the hotel which let there children run around in nothing which I found disgusting in this day in age and no need for this.
I clearly would not recommend this hotel to anyone at all as you will be wasting your money.
You can contact me on Kcoz99@aol.com for any more opinions.

Karen Cosgrove
Blackburn, Lancashire

be warned

by TripAdvisor Member Snowdrop2007

Stayed at Gran Playa from 8th Sept 2007 for one week. It was the worst weeks holiday we have every had. We arrived at 1.30 in the morning and were greeted by the receptionist who asked for 20 euros as a deposit for the all inclusive arm bands (thishas never happended before) We were offered soft drinks and a snack and we thought this is great - never had this before its going to be a good hotel - how wrong were we. We were on the first floor and outside our patio door was a large pipe which made a constant huge noise. The next morning we asked to be moved but there wasn't a room free until the following day. The food was very poor - actually awful. The breakfast was the only meal which my husband managed to eat. There was little, if any, choice on the lunch and evening meal, it mainly consisted of salads or rice/pasta. The food was mainly what German's would have. The staff, all six of them, were not very pleasant, I think we may have had six smiles off them all week - yes thats the six put together. The drink was single measures and, if like us you did not have children and didn't want to listen to the ridiculous entertainment, you had to drink from plastic glasses outside at the pool side bar (which was closed on an evening - so you had to use the one inside - basically nowhere for adults to sit and have a drink). Serioursly think twice before you book to go to this hotel. We wish we hadn't chosen this as our holiday hotel. We just wish we had read about this on the internet before we booked and we would have listened to what people had to say. We will know better for next time - I hasten to say NOT at the Grand Plays

Good basic holiday accomadation

by TripAdvisor Member mikeNorfolk

We stayed at the Gran Playa for the half term week with our two children. We arrived at about 2100hrs - a cold meal provided.There was plenty of food to choose from, if you are willing to try different dishes, plenty of fruit and veg, cheeses and fish dishes.

Our room was warm, quiet and it had a good size balcony over looking the pool. Maid service was every other day.

We found the staff friendly and helpful. The person involved with the childrens entertainment and bingo tried to get people involved but as it was near the end of the season there were not so many folk at the hotel, which might be the reason why the entertainment was limited, our children used the two pool tables a lot 1.50 Euros a game.

Over all a good holiday location, very central to the resort and other resorts like Cala Millor which can be reached by road or through the picturesque, Nature reserve . The nature reserve also leads to a small castle and if you dont want to walk pony riding and bikes are available.

TREBBLE FAMILY

a very average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rgmay

I would not go back to this hotel by choice but our time there was not altogether terrible. we arrived early hours of the morning and were promplty asked for 20 euros for wristbands and then taken to our apartment on the other side of the road from the main hotel by a man who did not have a clue where he was going. i would also warn of the 'gentlemans bar' situated right next door to the hotel and it would not be unusual to see lap dancers out front. The area itself in mallorca is very nice and appealing but i would not rate the hotel and definately will not be returning.

Be warned of hell

by TripAdvisor Member 988998899889

it was the worst place in the world i went to another hotel. it smell
the staff where very rude to me!!!!!!!!! dont stay there!!!!

Olive Art ExpositionOlive Art Exposition