Hotel d'Or Tobago

Satisfaction Average

Costs 104% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• toontraveller's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Accomodation

We chose this hotel simply because it was the cheapest on offer with food included. The hotel is a minute from the beach right on the point at Palmanova. All rooms have a sea view and it isn't bad either. The rooms are spacey and clean with a balcony, safe, pay TV and spare pillows. Bearing in mind this was the lowest of low seasons I don't want to over criticize but the sheets were not changed in 5 days.

There is a spacious bar, lounge and restaurant with plenty of good food on offer. The restaurant staff were very friendly but the reception staff not so helpfull.

In summary, good value for money at this time of year.

Unique Quality: The hotel lifts were as good as useless. They hardly ever make it to the basement where the restaurant and bar is and were broken at least twice while we were there. It didn't help that jokers pressed the button for every floor as they walked down the stairs.

Directions: Can't miss it, it stands out on the point at Palmanova.

More about Hotel d'Or Tobago

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member MarkDB

Just returned (9th Sep) from Hotel Tobago. It was our third visit and will almost definitely be our last although we want to return to the resort. The hotel is in serious need of some investment. Hopefully either the Dor chain will be snapped up or this particular hotel will be sold.
It is looking tired and tatty, the bar and lounge area require a complete refit.
As I have noticed in earlier posted reports, the service and attitude of some of the staff leaves a lot to be desired. Again the bar comes in for the centre of the criticism. They think it perfectly acceptable to stand and talk to one another while you are waiting to be served. They need to cross the road to the Blue Bar to see how excellent service can be provided.
The location is faultless, probably one of the best positioned hotels in the resort, which is why it is such as shame that it is in decline. One other small point to gripe about, as well as the main entrance there was also access to the beach road from the swimming pool area via a gate. This has now been locked with no explanation, which means you have a lot longer walk up to the main entrance to get back to your rooms. Whilst I understand maybe the need for increased security if they have encountered problems with non guest getting into the area, why have they not fitted a swipe access like other hotels in the area or given the guest a key.
It is with some regret that I have written this as I have always really liked the hotel, but it has to be said that it is past it's best

Worst Hotel Ever!

by TripAdvisor Member AScottishGirl

Just back from 8 nights stay in the Hotel Tobago and I can safely say it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Where do I start!! Well the room we were in was on the 7th floor and overlooked the beach, I think that was the only good point! The bathroom in the room smelled of sewage most of the time and the balcony door did not lock at all. The maid seemed to come in everyday but somedays all she did was empty the ashtray and leave. Our beds were unmade one day, the toilet stank a few others and you were only given clean towels every 2/3 days or so.

We stayed half board and flew with Fly Globespan. The food in the hotel was horrendous. They did not cater for anyone but the spanish, the hotel was full of Spanish people. My friend and I ate salad and chips all week. The made chips for dinner and then seemed to put the unused ones back out at breakfast, along with the hard and stale rolls and bread.

The hotel was generally noisy and although advertised as Palma Nova im not so cetain its not in Magaluf as the bar accross the road all wear T Shirts with their bar name and "MAGALUF" on the back.

We also needed to purchase extra baggage from Globespan for the flight home as our bags were over the free weight limit on the way out and they charge you a fortune! The hotel had internet access but no printers.
We decided to approach reception for help as Globespan were stating the extra baggage purchase option could "only be done online" and that "you must print off the final page with the reference number and proof of purchase to present at check in or your extra baggage would not be accepted". The hotel reception were very rude and unhelpful, staring ast us as we requested them to print off a page we would email them from the
computer downstairs we were paying to access the internet on. The womansimply said impossible, refused to help and proceeded to talk to another Spanish client. Even at checkout they were rude and abrupt, we didn't bother asking them about any of our other grievances. To add insult to injury when we checked in at the airport the check in staff did not even look at the printout we had for the extra baggage (printed in a pub thank god!) or ask for the reference number!!

There was also ants in the room!

Overall this was the worst hotel I have been in and I have stayed in a few in my time!

Only go here if you don't care if what your eating mostly looks and
tastes like something your dog wouldn't eat and you don't mind staying in a noisy hotel with no help from any staff!

Its only redeeming feature was the fact it was right off the beach and the room was air conditioned.

A Terrible Hotel, have never stayed in a 1 star but can only imagine it can't be worse than the Hotel Tobago!

Very good hotel excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member Martyn_1207

Apart from having to stay in aother hotel on our first night (it happens everywhere!) the rooms we had had great sea views over the beach beneath.

The food was fine but at the end of the week it started to get a bit repetitive. The food is not "english" but what do you expect inb Spain. If you want your won food then stay at home. Two of the people on our party are very fussy eaters and they managed great every night.

Loacation of hotel if great and the staff went out of their way to help with any problems we had.

Would definately go back. Maybe of people started to appreciate the staff better, they may get a better response if they encounter problems!

Just Dont Go!!!

by TripAdvisor Member klpar7

Booked this through globespan who are normally great and do fab holidays but this was a huge let down(complaint is in the post!). Funnily enough you cant book this hotel through them after April so i'm assuming they have terminated their contract-thank god! Don't really know where to start, water for bathing and washing dishes is brown, no hot water, no flushing toilet, no air con and not even a fork or knife in the room. If you can call it a room it was more like a tiny cell! the area round the pool stunk of sewage and the kids pool was dangerous with broken and jagged tiles. There is no daytime or evening activities and tere is no snack bar either. The food, if you're unlucky enough to be haf board, caters only for the spanish guests and even then was disgusting. I was concerned after reading the other reviews before i went but am generally a positive person and thought it couldn't be that bad but take my advice and stay somewhere else!!

Great Hotel & Resort

by TripAdvisor Member ANDY-OAFC

I'm sick of reading poor reviews about this excellent hotel. Firstly, why do people book a hotel which primarily caters for our european cousins and is situated close to Magalluf then complain of foreign food, rowdy proximity etc? Secondly, the hotel make adequate security provisions (locks on doors, safety deposit boxes available at reasonble prices, security guard etc) - the hotel cannot control criminal activity any more than we can in protecting our homes and cars. Thirdly, why do people review the hotel & resort in respect of problems encountered on flights or at airports. Finally, why do people book a three star hotel at three star prices and expect five star accomodation and service?

Anyway, I stayed at the Tobago with wife and daughters (13 & 11) in August 2006 and had a lovely two week holiday.

The hotel and rooms were clean and generally nicely decorated and furnished, admittedly a little tired in places. Maid, reception, bar and restaurant service was excellent; one slightly eccentric bald Spanish waiter who amused me with his Fawlty-like tendencies.

The restaurant opening times were extensive and there was a good selection of food at breakfast and evening meal. The food is not typically British, but even my fussy girls manged to find something enjoyable each meal time - and not one loose stool between us.

There was limited entertainment daily and the little we saw of it was below average, but who wants to stay in the hotel with all that Palma Nova and Magalluf have to offer. We've had years of the 'Thomson Superfamily' experience and we did not miss it at all.

Anyway, the best bits. The pool area is great - although the large hotel was full, you could get sunbeds all day long and the pool was never crowded. There is a lovely spacious bar and terrace, drinks are reasonably priced and there is internet, pool, darts, TV etc. The vast majority of rooms have fantastic views over Palma Nova bay. The location of the Tobago is excellent, the beach is a one minute walk and it is a little further to the centres of either Palma Nova or Magalluf - two distinct resorts for the price of one which offer lots for everyone. The air conditioning in the room was very effective.

Magalluf does get lively after 1am and if this makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should question whether you should be out at that time at your age. I was awakened by kids going home occasionally, but we were all young once and if you've had a couple of glasses of sherry yourself, nodding off again shouldn't be a problem.

Would have no hesitation in booking again.

liked the location

by TripAdvisor Member dbluedave

I have to say I booked this hotel, before i read any of the reviews, so i was i done in when i read some of them, because some of them were scathing,

well i went there on my own, single room on halfboard basis, got there early, ie before 12:00pm checkin 5:00am to be procise and the receptionist was very helpful let me have my room early NO EXTRA CHARGE!

the room was very clean balcony over looking the pool, cleaned every day clean towels etc, no problem,

the food, i thought was good varied selection, the hotel had lot of spainish there so the food geared towards them, i enjoyed it, except for one night, i think the chef must of been off or something because it was awful, i must admit if that had been my first meal there i might not of bothered eating in the hotel again, the breakfasts were fine a good selection

the staff i found ok, the location was perfect if you want nightlife and then retreat because it was just far enough away if wanted a bit of quiet, i will have mention its on a bit of hill it didn't me but i walked past few people grumbling about it ,

all in all i would go back again i liked the place, i would just be weary of whose cooking on any particular night :@)

Great Hotel, at a great price.

by TripAdvisor Member Juleigh

After reading previous reveiws I was quite wondering what I had let myself in for when booking this hotel for myself and 5 friends.
It was a wonderful stay...more than I ever hoped for, for the cost of £11 half board per night. The staff were extremely friendly (and helpful), the rooms were clean and comfortable...mine and my friends rooms having spectacular views over the bay. The food was lovely, and yes, it did cater for the spanish quite a bit...but I for one really enjoyed experiencing the spanish diet....which was a lot of fresh veg, fruit, pasta's, different types of fish...as well as roast meats (beef, pork, chicken, lamb) chips, mash and jacket pots. Ok, the only thing missing was the typical greasy junk food...burgers, sausages, and anything else you can buy in your local chippy....which I certainly didn't miss!

Oh, and another thing, the beautiful beach is litterally 5 mins walk away!

Our group can't wait to go back again....I have struggled to think of a negative to say about this hotel, but sorry I can't. Our experience was all good.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member si2008

just back from a fantastic weekend stay at the tobago ,,went on fri 17th and returned on mon 20th and after reading the bad reviews on here was wondering what what it was going to be like ,,well i have no idea which hotel the bad reviews where stopping in but myself and the wife had nothing but fantastic review for the tobago ,,,wonderfull staff very plesant and helpfull
fantastic food all weekend ,,clean rooms ,,,so it must be A++++ from myself and the wife for the tobago and we will be booking another stop there

Bargain!

by TripAdvisor Member polcon

We went to the Tobago for a cheap getaway and were very nervous after seeing reviews here, but figured that as we had paid as much for a week half borad as we paid for one night in a lovely hotel in Bangkok, we would get what we paid for. Very pleasantly surprised to find lovely clean rooms (maybe needed a little airing but no worries, and cleaned everyday by chamber maid, without fail!), lovely sweet wee waiters and very nice food. Lovely spanish food! No surprises there as we were in Spain! If you want non stop chips then go to Blackpool, love! (sorry, but really....). Bargain all round and we would go back if we were after another budget break!

Comments