Tonga Hotel

Club Hotel Tonga
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 96% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Tonga Hotel

FANTASTIC can't wait to go back

by TripAdvisor Member bushfeilds

Stayed at the Club Tonga for a week from the 22nd July
Read other reviews and I have to dissagree. Ok transfer time is a pain however on arrival at the hotel we where pleasantly surprised check in at the hotel was quick and straight to your room .When we got to the room we were really surprised the room was very clean and tidy. Bedding and towels are changed on a daily basis. The pool areas where great there are three pools on the complex and they were cleaned daily. There were lots of sun beds around the pool. The Restaurant was set times but hey most are, they try to put different kinds of food on each day. At eating times you are only allowed two drinks per service. Within the complex there is a mini market but it is really expensive it is best to use the shop in the ca’n picafort palace across the road. With your rep you can book excursions we went to rancho grande I highly recommend that it is the best evening also we went to western water park well it is small and not a lot there so I don’t recommend that but other that it was fantastic holiday can’t wait to go back next year…….

fun hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ang66

we went to the club tonga on october 18th for 8 nights. we did not know what to expect after reading some of the reviews. some of the hotel needs updating like the bathrooms, they also need a little more draw space in the rooms the lifts were slow, but we had a great time the hotel staff were friendly the entertainment staff were fantastic if you have children they absolutely love it, they have a kids show each night and they never get bored with it. the food does get a bit repetative but doesnt all hotel food. they have a snack bar which serves hamburgers pizza and snack food. there are three nice pools which were kept very clean. the hotel is in a good location about five minutes walk to the sea, the beach is lovely and there are some lovely restaurants and bars along the beach front. you can get a lovely meal at the old boat which is situated opposite the beach. overall i it was a good holiday a nice friendly hotel and lovely place. if you expecting the ritz its not for you. if you want a nice 3 star friendly hotel then this is what you get. although we ate out a few times we still felt that this was a real bargain break.

Horrible!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member SallyECook

If you are thinking of booking this hotel – don’t. I went in September and I don’t know if things were this bad because it was so busy but the high rise hotel doesn’t have enough facilities or space to cater for the amount of people. The restaurant is too small, the tables too squashed together – you have to dodge around to get back to your table with your plate of food. If you’re getting food for your kids then by the time you have finished the assault course of getting the food back to the table you have had enough and don’t want to be bothered with your own. It is not that tempting, especially as one morning we had mouldy rolls.

The pool area is jam-packed. If you can find a sun bed the chances of getting anywhere near the pool are very, very slim. This is a problem if your young children want to spend most of their time in the pool and you want to sunbath. Someone complained about there being no sun umbrellas. Well you don’t need them as you are in the shade from the hotel for most of the day. The queues for drinks in the evening are ridiculous. I queued for at least fifteen minutes on most evenings at peak times when the entertainment is on. On a plus, the room was clean and the location was good, but I would never go back to this hotel again. In fact, I am never going all inclusive or three stars either come to think of it, Club Tonga has put me off for good!

As honest opinion as i can

by TripAdvisor Member Bennyboy29

Wow after reading the reviews this should be called the Marmite Hotel! Have just got back yesterday after a week so if anyone is about to go or thinking of going i will try and give you an acurate picture without having my own rants hehe

Rooms - I had no problems with the room at all inside, it was on the small side but only like some premiere lodges you would stay in, we only went as a couple so could imagine with children maybe a squash, not sure if families have bigger rooms but i don't think so. The room is cleaned everyday and all the facilities were good, great powerful shower, but get in early in the evenings if you like it hot. I read one review where someone said about the fan blowing hot air around, well it does, but if you flick the switch on the fan itself it will blow downward cold air silly haha. Our view was'nt good but we had a lower floor, our friends were on floor twelve and had a brilliant view of the bay all round to Alcudia, but then they had to mess about will lifts so its swings and roundabouts. I have one great tip for you, if you are like us and enjoy a little lye in after plenty of beer, ask to have a room away from the lifts, it can be like sleeping in a market when the kids get excited and bound down to the pool. Ahh yes and 1 more thing about the room, good tip, don't count on their being music channels for when you are getting ready to go out in the evening because the only non spanish soap channels you get are CNN and eurosport which did'nt bring out the hairbrush deva i my wife, so bring a little stereo or something, oh and the remote can cost you a 10 Euro deposit in some rooms.

Facilities - Two very good sized pool and one little one for the toddlers, can't tell you how good for swimming cause was too much of a girls and thought it was too cold but loads of braver people were having a great time on there. We did struggle to get sun loungers but then we were getting up quite late, there were loads of them thou so i can imagine if you got up at a reasonable hour then you'd be alright. There are loads of nice grassed areas so we just bathed there. There are two very nice tennis courts 25 Euro deposit for your rackets but you have to buy the balls from the gift shop. A volleyball court and a football/basketball pitch. There is a gift shop, but here's a tip, go to the one in the hotel opposite, twice the choice half the price.

Drink - Here we go, the drinks are very nice and you can have pretty much everything including as i saw once to my amazment champagne (not sure of quality though). There is a 2 drink rule which to our annoyance they enforced every so often usually one of us could get the drinks in for all four, but then other times you would queue for 5 mins to be told by the same bar person just 2 so someone else has to then start queing losing all conversation then for about 10 mins, which when having the holiday laugh as you do can be annoying. The bar staff thou work so hard and if i worked there you would never get a smile out of me and i would look as miserable as some of them do. However, a couple of the younger girls there were always smiling and made up for it. I will include evening entertainment in with this and i can say i have not a clue how good it was, because unless you get downstairs very early you will be listening to it from ouside by the pool and can't see a thing. Not 100% but pretty sure the entertainment lounge is non smoking as is the bar apart from a little vault style place tucked away. Which is a bit of a sod because the evening did get quite chilly when your outside all the time. Oh and the box heads (germans) struggle with the quing method which causes the usual jokes but just throw some heckles their way they don't understand hehe

Food - Now this is where i have my beef (pardon the punt). Aweful absolutly aweful, The hotel has about 1200 guests i am told and the resturant holds about 150 at a time i would guess, now you do the maths We sat on a clean table once, always had to get our cuttlery. The veg and chips/ potatoes were fine but the meat was in a league of its own, do you remember those tinned pies that when you opened them they had the definate dog food smell, well thats how i describe it. The staff in here were the slowing people i have ever seen, they seemed more interested in polishing a spoon then clearing tables, we had to clear dirty plates from previous people just to sit down a few times. In the end it got the better of us and we just gave up and went out for our meals, which i must say in the local resturants was amazing, so the rubbish about the hotel food is just spannish food is a joke, the spannish people in the local bars mock the place and laugh about people eating the stuff. Truely horrible BUT they had lovely cheese, there is a plus point. Oh and there is a little bar in the far corner for your drinks which is nice when it is manned. so figures here are we ate there about 5 meal times, and out of four of us 1 person managed to enjoy 1 meal.
Snack bar is the better alternative and when the pizza is freshly made is very good. The burgers had turns one day sloppy and horrible other days really nice. They toasties chips etc, am quite sure this food is more suited for the kids and think you might struggle to get a youngster to eat anything in the main resturant.

Reception - I had no problems here at all, read some reviews saying the were rude so thought would add my bit. No probs, they sorted taxis for us and spoke good english.

Local Area - Beach is about 5 mins walk as are all the bars and resturants. The resort is as said before like any other spannish destinations with the fake designer gear and everywhere offering an english breakfast haha. But some places to note that we all enjoyed Williams for football, Trotters on the Beach for Kareoke, Pub No1 for quizzes. Jamica bar for cocktails, Charlies for nightclub. I also have to recommend that if you want to go out for a very special meal, although is quite pricey try the Chocolate House (ignore the name nothing to do with chocolate), the food here is excellent, meal for 4 with 3 drinks each was 93 Euro but woth every penny, could not eat another bit but was bursting to haha. The beach is lovely, loads of sunloungers down there for you. good tip, although Alcudia looks close on the beach its isn't, we walking it and were absolutly knackered for the day, get the bus.
There is a market on a friday which is worth a look, there is the haggling tip which works, offer a quarter, pay a third, if they say no then walk away and watch them chase you, then pay what you offered and your laughing.

In summary then, we all agreed that e would not go back to Club Tonga again but then we said we would never go all inclusive again. This hotel is a cheap cheap holiday so can't complain too much but we did end up spending about £700 for the four of us to enjoy this holiday. the point could be made by when you were out having a meal, you could see loads of blue wristbands (the hotel gives you these to show all inclusive). Maybe though you could say that the kids activities and the facitlities combines with the price compensate, but i disagree. I would go back to Can picafort but not to that hotel. give it alot of thought before booking and work out what the things most important to you are, as i have said loads of people seemed to love it.

Anyways hope this helps and if you have already booked enjoy yourself and make the most of it

great town

by TripAdvisor Member dodgey

the hotel looks grand on the road up to it, we got into our room and was it small, no room for any cat swinging. the bathroom had a odour about it that didn't leave for the time we were there a problem outside as well. the food was ok but mostly seemed bland and overcooked. we spent most of the time on the beach and round that area and found an english run pub with games quizes and BINGO the bane of us all, the owners anne and neil were very nice people and were really helpful and chatty and we had a lot to eat and drink there and met some nice british people.
would i go back to ca'an picafort yes! would i go back to anne and neils bar yes! would i go back to hotel tonga (as british english i ave the right to remain silent).
we met some geordies and they stayed at the haiti across the street ..........
the town was very nice and the beach although narrow was lovely the place was not noisy very nice place

Brilliant Hotel - Fantastic for families

by TripAdvisor Member samantha.sunshine

I stayed her end July / early August with my 10 year old son. I have to say I was very impressed with the hotel - we both had a fantastic time.

The food was lovely, it's buffet and every day there is salad, rice, pasta and sauces, a choice of meat and fish, vegtables, 2 or 3 styles of potatoes, soup. At lunchtime there is also a paella. For desert fruit and lovely cakes and mouses. My son ate well every day. Breakfast too is good, you can have ceral, cooked breakfast or toast or breads.

As with any hotel there are never enough sunbeds, but I lay on the grass on a towel and during the day always managed to get a bed at some stage. The reception also say that if a bed is reserved for more than half hour and no one uses it, that it is acceptable to remove the towel.

There were queues at times at the bar for drinks, but when do you ever go to a bar and get served straight away in peak season? The longest I ever waited I think was about 4 mins - not too bad.

The rooms are compact, but kept clean. The lifts may be a problem if you are on the higher floors, I was on the 4th and walked - I spoke to some people who had requested lower floors when booking and got them - so worth a try if you're not up to stair walking!

The entertainment staff are excellent - they are friendly, put on a variety of professional shows and I was really really impressed by them. The kids loved the entertainers and every day there is a kids disco which the parents are roped into.

There's a football pitch for the boys to keep amused on, pool tables, volleyball court.

I really can't find anything to complain about - I can understand that if you are a fussy eater who likes moaning and wants everything done instantly and isn't prepared to wait a few minutes to get a drink and isn't prepared to lie on the grass cause of 6am "towel on sunbed brigade" (which to be honest is the same anywhere!) you may not like this hotel.

However if you want value for money, somewhere where the kids will have a fab time ( I hardly saw my son at all he was having so much fun), and you are prepared to put up with the occasional wait for a drink then you'll love this place. I will more than likely go back again - next time for a fortnight and not just 9 days.

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member lisa00

Stayed at this hotel for one week, from the moment we arrived we wanted to go home! Hotel very clean, lifts incredibly small (not enough room to swing a cat!), Hotel room very basic indeed, having only one plug in the room proved to be a bit of a problem.
Entertainment for kids excellent, and the choice of 3 pools was very good, however tables and chairs around the pool filthy! The bar staff incredibly polite, although it was a pain only being able to get 2 drinks per person, especially for the men as there beer were in half pints only!
Meal time at the zoo springs to mind whenever i think of mealtimes, you would think that some of these people had never been fed before! mealtimes were the same everyday, often only the choice of meat would change. the pool side food made a nice change as they offered toasties and burgers, chips and hotdogs.

Enjoyable

by TripAdvisor Member Battersbys

We stayed at the Tonga at the beginning of October 2006 and arrived lovely and fresh because we had hired an air conditioned taxi from the airport so we didnt have to endure the 2 hour transfer.
We whizzed through the booking in process and allocated our room which was on the 3rd floor and was massive with its own balcony, a good start so far to the holiday.
Had a look around the facilities and was ok with them all i had a look at the entertainment programme and was amazed at the content and wondered if the entertainment team ever got to sleep or have a break.
The dining area was cramped and very busy and every time i went down for a meal with the family we had to get our own utensils from the racks on the wall, the staff in there were very friendly and the food was excellent, some people said it was geared out for the Germans french italians and russians, i dont know, but if they all eat salads and pastas and meat and soup and chips and bread and ice cream and drink coke and lemonade and eat cake then i must be one of them.
The staff were friendly and the resort itself was very nice, the promenade was relaxing nobody hassled you the bards in the resort were friendly and the people were all ok.
I recommend the Sun Burnt arms if you have kids, they have toys and internet access and computer games X Box i think to keep them entertained if you just want to get out of the sun and relax.
We never ate out of the hotel because the food was excellent but from what i saw of the bars and restaurant food from around the resort you would be hard to go wrong.
In conclusion we had an excellent holiday at the Tonga and have booked to go this year and i may add that i have got the same holiday at the same time as last year for £500 less for 4 people all inclusive.

Nice in Low season

by TripAdvisor Member Shelledpea

nice hotel set back from the beach ~ about 6mins walk down a slight hill.

Rooms~ on the smaller side, would have been too small if the children had been with us. All the rooms have just had new furniture but they haven't replaced the curtains, light fittings or bed throws (Which seems a little oddd!!) bathrooms had 3/4 bath with shower over, vanity sink and loo. Fully tiled and very clean.

Food ~ plenty of choice salads, veg etc but most of the meat was a bit ropey ~ didn't expect much more having paid £16 a night each. Ice cream is available all day from the bar. Snack bar serves burgers, hotdogs, chips and toasties from 11am tll 5pm.

Drinks ~ all served in a half glass, plastic till 7pm and between 11pm and 12am. No coffee in the restaurant apart from at breakfast. The sangria was Ok the wine terrible. Post mix coke was better than in a couple of the bars we went to.

Entertainment ~ it varied from very good to terrible. Bingo 5 nights a week 1.20Euros a ticket. Scuba diving trials with PADI bubble maker certificate for kids available once a week in the pool 10Euros. also horse riding, rifle shooting, mountain biking all about 10euros a session. 2 nice pools with quite a lot of garden area. Tennis equipment available to hire. Got hooked on the pinball (~ If anyone beats my husbands high score let me know ~ he got 123,000,000) 2E for 3 games.

Ca'n picafort is like every other resort in Spain,a wide variety of places to eat and drink both clamouring for both the english and german trade with the odd british pub (no. 1, williams, wotsits etc) offering the soaps for those who really should have gone to benidorm and bratwurst bars for the Germans who are similar. there are a few small tapas bars to be found for those who want to try a bit of culture and not just hollands pies.

Bus to Palma 4.70 Euros hourly and 2.30Euros to Alcudia(the Tuesday market was excellent)

Gorgeous white sand beach.

LOVED IT ( Preston, England )

by TripAdvisor Member roggers

We stayed at this hotel in may the weather was great we went with our four year old son and the kids club was great they really looked after the kids.The food was ok but remember you are in spain not at home.The rooms were ok not huge but lets face it all you do their is sleep.You can always get a sunbed nobody gets up ay 6 and buts their towels their the hotel is very clean.The bar only gives you two drinks a time but when you no the staff they will give you more.Beware lifts are really small but dont be lazy you the stairs.We found a bar that serves really nice food called sunburnt arms they have five x box and e-mailing service and the staff were great we would defo go back really enjoyed it.

Church of Montision (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)Church of Montision (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)

mit traumhaften Wanderwegenmit traumhaften Wanderwegen

Magaluf - the beach I've stayed!Magaluf - the beach I've stayed!

Cala D'Or - SpainCala D'Or - Spain

Diving

by Creedo

I am a keen diver and would like to know if there is any good diving around Mallorca and whether dive companies will be operating in May.

Also are there plenty of hire car facilities in Mallorca.

Thanks in anticipation. Creedo

RE: RE: Diving

by Belsaita

I certanly heard way more stupid questions, so no need to be offensive to anyone!

(well, the part regarding car hire is plain obviuos to say something... of course a major touristy destination would be plenty of these!!!)

The part regarding diving is not stupid at all. There are lots of spots for diving in the Balearics, but it's not a place famous for diving, beacuse there are better places. It can be fun, but do not expect anything really spectacular if you compare them to diving in tropical seas, red sea, great reef....etc (hope to do all these some day!!) Yes you can dive in May even it will be a bit cold (again, depending on where you compare to). I cannot help abut diving companies as never used any in Mallorca, but sure you'll get plenty of results on Google or any other search engine.

Comments