Blau Punta Reina Club

Blau Punta Reina Resort
Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 174% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Low rise, not a tower block in sight!

The resort has several restaurants and a bar, which offers entertainment of the ‘lets get the children up on stage and sing and then when the kids had gone to bed, ‘let’s get their drunk parents up on stage to sing’ variety. We opted to avoid this spectacle, but couldn’t resist walking through at around 11pm each night on the way home from the evening meal, just to see what we were missing out on… None of the restaurants are cheap, but then with most people on packages and with kids they’ve got a captive audience so it’s to be expected.

Unique Quality: This was my second ever stay in a hotel or resort of this ilk and all in all I was fairly satisfied with the place (apart from one thing - see my Porto Cristo Dangers tip). We could very easily have ended up in one of the larger even more soulless resorts, so as a package destination I’d recommend this hotel on a self catering basis, but would advise having a car. There’s a scattering of bars and restaurants within walking distance, tourist bars you understand, none of them seemed terribly exciting though. If you’ve got a family, this resort might be ideal as there aren’t that many places for your kids to ask you to spend your money! Buy them an inflatable mattress at 5 euro or send them off with the hotel reps that look after the kids during the day, lay back and enjoy the sun

Directions: On the east coast of Mallorca. South of Porto Cristo on the coast road. Follow the signs through Porto for las Cuevas del Drach and keep driving. Turn left at the second exit.

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

NOT Porto Cristo either...

The main thing about this place is that it’s not right in the thick of a somewhere like Cala Millor. Readers will have noted by now that Cala Millor, a place I'd compare to most of Tenerife, is my idea of holiday hell, with hardly a sign in Catala or Castillian, everything being in German or English. If I wanted to have bacon and eggs for lunch I'd stay in London and go down the Willesden High Road, thank you very much.

Unique Quality: The resort is one of two or three in Cala Mandia, all pretty much self contained, but none of them are tower blocks. Our block was three stories high, we were on the second/top floor so weren’t kept awake by screaming teenagers at night wandering past our window. Punta Reina had three decent swimming pools, the outdoor ones, I was told, were freezing (well, it was October...). They were policed by the most disinterested life-guard I’ve ever seen, mobile phone attached to ear most of the time which would have been less amusing if I'd had kids. The indoor pool was full of children (something I don’t particularly like at the best of times…) until around 5pm, so you could get a few hours in slightly more undisturbed and without blow up floatation armbands flung in your face, before it closes at 8pm if you wanted.

Though to be honest, when I swim I look like I'm drowning, thus, I don't really 'do' swimming pools anyway, so it really made no odds to me in the long run.

Directions: About a 5 minute drive south of Porto Cristo on the coast road. Follow the signs for las Cuevas del Drach and then keep on driving.

NOT Cala Millor

We booked this place as part of an exceptionally cheap flight, car & hotel package through Expedia and I think we struck lucky. I saw it listed on the net as being in Porto Cristo, but as I discovered while driving back and forth in Porto for 40 minutes on arrival, it’s actually another 5 minute drive south on the coastal road in a place called Cala Mandia (also found, confusingly on road signs and maps as Cala Mendia…).

Unique Quality: The resort is made up of both studios with their own kitchen and 1 or 2 bedroom rooms. We weren’t on an ‘all-inclusive’ which meant we could come and go as we pleased and had an excuse to search out restaurants inland in Arta. It also meant that each day started with a self-catered breakfast over the pool. Ok, so it wasn’t a view of the sea, but bearing in mind most days my breakfast consists of a strong sugared coffee and a fag outside my office I wasn’t complaining!

Directions: A 5 minute drive on the coastal road south of Porto Cristo.

More about Blau Punta Reina Club

Pretty and mid-way between vile...

by kit_mc

"Small, tidy and not a tower block hotel in sight."

This town, directly east of Manacor at the centre of the east coast of Mallorca, is a fairly decent surprise. On the other side of Mallorca to Palma, it's about an hour and a bit drive away from the airport. This was the nearest town to the resort I stayed in for my week on the island. It was luck more than design that got me here, but after seeing the larger more touristy resorts such as Cales de Mallorca or Cala Millor (hiss, spit), I was glad we'd ended up bang in between them. Hence, mid-way between 'vile'.

A few km away at Cala Mendia (or Mandia, depending on the mood of the person spelling it), is where we stayed in the Blau Punta Reina Resort. Looking it up on the internet, we actually thought that the resort was in Porto Cristo, so ended up with a bit of a confused drive back and forth through the town before finally finding a place to park and race into the tourist info for a map and directions. Of course when I say 'park', I mean to stop the car completely illegally on a pedestrian area, shove on the emergency lights and force non-Spanish speaking Andrew off to the nearest tourist information centre while I sit sheepishly in the car wondering if I can get away with pretending I speak no Spanish whatsoever when the Police come... 'Me Foreign. Me no understand big sign of car with line through... Honest Senor'.

"Things to do in Port Cristo, hmm..."

There ain't a whole lot to do in Porto Cristo to be honest. There's a nice enough church, a pretty harbour front and even a small sandy beach, requisite sun loungers and umbrellas installed of course. A few decent enough restaurants, geared for tourists primarily overlook the harbour or if you fancy a quick bite of the fast food variety, there are anonymous tourist cafes and a Burger King.

The town might make a decent daytrip away from the crowds of the larger resorts as there aren't any of the massive tower blocks lining the sea front. A walk through the slim streets takes you through typical late 19th or early 20th century architecture, that is, fairly anonymous, nothing amazing but quaint enough.

In fairness, most people will be here for one thing and if they come on a tour bus, they might not even make it to the town itself. Las Cuevas del Drach are a series of caves containing one of the largest subterranean lakes in the world - apparently - a km or so south of Porto Cristo. These rival a number of other sets of caves along the eastern seaboard of the island including some near Arta. In fairness, you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all from what I can tell, so if you've seen the caves nearer Arta, I'm not sure these would be worth a special trip.

The whole trip to Mallorca was a bit of a lesson in 'Don't always listen to The Guide Book' and Porto Cristo was a case in point. It gets barely a mention in RG, yet you could easily lose a day in Porto Cristo, wandering the caves, checking out the town's backstreets or taking a walk around the harbour. Decent enough beaches lie at a couple of points south, before Cales de Mallorca. Just don't expect to find anything totally extraordinary and don't expect to be the only tourist in town. We went with few expectations and found it pleasant enough, even managing to get lost and find ourselves on a rocky outcrop with a great view of the bay and harbour, yachts bobbing away. For a coastal town in this part of Mallorca, this is about as good as it gets.

Comments