Es Traves 5, Soller, 07108, Spain

Costs 248% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Esplendido Hotel

This hotel truly is Esplendido

by TripAdvisor Member AandAScotland

My wife and I just spent a fabulous week at Hotel Esplendido . We have stayed in lots of very good hotels around the world and were a bit concerned about Mallorcas cheap and cheerful image.... but for us this was one of the best hotels we have stayed at (all in all the best) ......sure there were some (really) minor things that could be improved upon ............but the location, the view from the bistro terrace, the room, the view from the room, the cleanliness, the view from the breakfast terrace, the bed (so comfortable), the view from the garden, the in room surround sound system and free cd / dvd library, the view from the infinity pool, the food, the view from the bar terrace, and the staff were absolutely second to none.

Esplendido by name and by Stay

by TripAdvisor Member macmason

I read all the reviews in trip advisor of the hotels in the area where i wish to stay. This hotel has reviews that you should ignore at your Peril .I booked and i was very pleased that i did . I have rated this hotel as Excellent but with the addition of the staff my rating is Excellent ++++ it is a gem that i belive is the best hotel that i booked for many many years,Total value for Euro, not one problem i will be booking again for sure

Lovely beachfront hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sanandjezz

We were transferred to this hotel for a couple of nights having had problems with our stay at the Portixol which is the sister hotel to Esplendido in Palma.

Our first impressions of the hotel were extremely good. It is a really modern and spacious hotel with lovely furnishings. The gardens and terraced areas at the rear of the hotel are extremely pretty with stunning views of the bay. The sunbeds are arranged in a tiered fashion with 2 swimming pools, one of which is a thermal infinity pool that is supposedly for adults only but not only could we not get a seat up there, it was being constantly used by young children. A tip would be not to use the sunbeds just below the pool as you constantly get splashed from the kids in the pool directly above.

The rooms are well furnished and modern. We had a sea view terrace room which was lovely but it would have been nice to have full length loungers on the terrace as there was enough room for these. Instead there are quite uncomfortable rocking deck chairs.

The food in the Bistro was pretty good, however, it was quite expensive compared with other restaurants in the vacinity. They have a new terraced area at the front of the Bistro which is really nice for eating outside and watching the sunset. However, you do need to book early for one of these tables as they are highly sought after, especially on nice days.

The bar was quite atmosphereless given the size of the hotel and the number of guests in the hotel. Sadly, it does not have the atmosphere or friendliness of its sister hotel and the cocktails were not as good.

Overall, we were really pleased to be given the chance to stay at this hotel but, given the choice again, would prefer The Portixol. One of the main reasons for this is that this hotel, Esplendido, I believe is more for families with young children who I must say appear to be everywhere and breakfast and early dining is a bit chaotic with kids everywhere.

A great choice for young families.

Outstanding for us too!

I can only add to the previous accolades for the Esplendido. I won't repeat how fantastic the rooms and views and facilities are...but will say that we have just returned from a week stay with our 3 year old son, who absolutley LOVED it....A simple holiday is the best policy with children, but we also like to stay somewhere nice and this really fits the bill. I would add though, if you are looking for a child free environment, then you might want to avoid the school holidays...we stayed a week before half term, and it was fine, and mostly the children were impeccably behaved. We had a babysitter every night (12 euros per hour), who was fantastic, and enabled us to enjoy the Bistro and bar, or dinner in one of the many restaurants in the area. Fantastic! It would be great if the hotel introduced a reasonable curfew for children in the bar and restaurant, as it isn't really fair on others if overtired children are running around late at night, However, don't get the wrong impression, it wasn't like a creche or anything!!

We loved being able to get the tram to Soller, and on one occasion connected with the old train to Palma as well...It was good fun, and takes about an hour from Soller.
We found that there was just enough to do in the surrounding area for a week and didn't need a car..and as has been mentioned there is no car park...so for us using the trams and taxis worked well..Perhaps if you were staying longer, and wanted to explore more, you would need to hire one, and there is a public car park not too far away...

The staff at the Esplendido were all super efficient, discreet and really friendly. It is a laid back here, so no bell boys fighting for your luggage or fawning over guests ( thank god!) but nothing is to much trouble, and everyone is happy to help. Unprompted on our early morning departure, we were handed take away breakfasts so we didn't miss out, which was a nice touch. Housekeeping were also very good, and discreet, no hovering outside your room ready to pounce the minute you leave...nice toiletries replenished daily, and nice waffle gowns!!

The Bistro offered a lovely, buzzy, trendy atmosphere and served some lovely, simple food. Good wine list and again efficient service. We ate there a couple of times, and it has a great view of the bay. Puerto de Soller offers some decent restaurants, 'Lua' has been mentioned and we really liked it there..also Las Olas next door was good...For a bit of a treat head to Deia for El Olivio (at La Residencia) or Es Raco d' es Teix for something a bit higher end. It is fifteen minutes away by car.

The overall retro design of the hotel works really well, and is similar, if not slightly better than the sister hotel 'Portixol' in Palma. Great lighting, quirky furniture, trendy but functional. Loads of terraces and lounges, and places to escape. At every opportunity the great view is maximised, whether in the breakfast room, the restaurant or the bar, you can sit and enjoy it all. Our room had the perfect view too, and a great decked terrace with tables and chairs etc. If you are travelling with a family I would say that the Big Seaview Terrace category is perfect. Even with the sofa bed down for our son to use, the room still felt spacious.

All in all, this place was perfect for us, and we would definately return. We likened the Esplendido to Babington House ( on sea!) to best compare the vibe and the experience, for those of you familiar with it.

Thank you to Esplendido for a great time x

A great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DKL-7

This hotel was recommended by more than one friend so we chose to spend our four final nights at the Esplendido in Port de Soller after staying south-west of Palma for a week.

When we arrived, having taken the most enjoyable train-ride from Palma, our room wasn't ready so we were treated to a couple of free drinks in the bar.

Our room had a huge bed, lovely bathroom and a small terrace area with deckchairs. The TV was very small which did not bother us - we still managed to take advantage of the free DVD library and watched a few films during our stay.

Breakfast was in a pleasant room overlooking the sea and had a huge range of hot and cold food. Given that it was included in the price, we felt that it was great value and we really enjoyed it.

We ate in the Bistro a couple of nights and enjoyed good food and service. We actually had a lovely meal in the nearby restaurant, Randemar, (for which I was amazed to see a bad review below) and I would recommend this highly.

Activities-wise, there are two pools, a gym and a spa (the latter is fairly expensive). We did a boat-trip from the harbour which was reasonably cheap and worth half a day to relax. We also did a trip to Deia but when we arrived, there wasn't too much to do. You can walk up to the lighthouse in Port de Soller - takes about 30 mins and there are nice views. Finally, it's great to take the tram into the old town of Soller and check out the little shops and tapas bars.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. I think the town is a nice place for a short stay. We do not have children but the hotel appeared child-friendly. There is a nice lounge and bar area with a good list of cocktails, book library and internet access. If you are a couple, group of friends or family who are looking for a contemporary hotel, I think this place is for you.

Good for older people as well as families.

by TripAdvisor Member UK0AP

Having visited Soller on the train from Palma and then going via the tram to the Port, we decided we would like to return. So, last week we spent three days in Port Soller followed by four days in Palma. We arrived via hire car and parked in the free public car park near by, this was fine for us as it could be argued it is not such a busy time of the year, certainly the school holidays have not begun, so, finding a parking spot was always just about possible, could be difficult at other times however. Anyway, back to the hotel. There were quite a few families with young children staying and they added to the atmosphere, we were lucky, they were all well behaved. If you like your children boiled not fried or roasted and prefer animals for company, you might not be quite so happy! The hotel was extremely clean and the breakfasts were good, the view from our Big Sea View Room with Balcony at 250euros a night was perfect and our room was most comfortable. We ate out the first night at the Randemar, without doubt it was the worst meal we have ever had - anywhere, do not be tempted! After that, as we were only staying for three nights, we ate in the hotel, I would class the food as Gastro Pub rather than gastronomique, the menu was quite limited, but the food was of a good standard, perhaps after a few days you would be wanting a change. As stated before, a trip to Deia for the many good restaurants would be an excellent idea, just be aware the road to Deia is not for the faint hearted and you certainly could not drink and drive if you value your life and limbs. Also, as the restaurants are so good they get very busy, so you need to book in advance. To sum up, the Esplendido is certainly splendid and Port Soller is a good, old fashioned, family resort, if you want a few days relaxation it is well worth a visit. Incidentally, I also knocked my head on the lights hanging above the breakfast room tables, but, it didn't hurt and just didn't seem to matter, perhaps it knocked a bit of sense into me, or improved my hearing, I can, if I close my eyes tight, still hear the sound of the waves gently rolling into the shore and the clanking of the occasional tram trundling along the sea front, wonderful!

amazing

by TripAdvisor Member casaBmajorca

We sadly only had a 1 night stay in our gorgeous spacious seaview room. Rooms very white, clean and well equipped. Staff very good looking (always helps!) and fantastic service. Lunch by the pool was only slightly spoiled by a child needing more parental control, but other than this the view, ambience and whole experience was amazing. My favourite hotel in the world.
Breakfast is the biggest feast you can imagine, with fruits, seeds, cereals, breads pastries, fry up, fresh juice, yogs, probiotic drinks - the list could go on and on. In fact i wish i had the nerve to put it all in my bag for my lunch!!
We cant wait to go back and next time we are trying out the sister hotel in Palma, the Hotel Portixol.

Wonderful hotel in charming small resort

by TripAdvisor Member TianLondon

We have just returned from a week in Mallorca having spent 4 nights in this lovely hotel. The rooms were cool and spacious with everything any guest would require. The balcony terraces with rocking deckchairs were large but even if you did not have an individual balcony there is loads of outdoor and indoor relaxation space with great views of the sea from the public areas. We loved the terraced sun and swimming area to the rear of the hotel, but it was a shame that the relaxation pool suffered from overuse by children (but it was half-term). Plenty of sun beds, towels and a great bar in the pool area added to our relaxation. I would also recommend the spa for a beauty treatment or massage.
The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly and the food, both at breakfast which is a real feast and in the casual bistro was of high quality, sensible portion sizes and good value.
I cann't wait to go back for another relaxing break in a lovely small seaside town which has many great restaurants and a friendly atmosphere. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Cool hotel but watch your head!

by TripAdvisor Member Serial_Traveller

I suspect originally this building was a hotel in the 60's that was left to decay during the 80's and 90's. Now, a design team from Sweden have come along to fool us into thinking that it's a wonderful trendy hotel - and up to a point it is. However, they need to try harder if they are going to compete with Schrager style hotels and many of the other new kids on the block.
Overall it's a nice light, bright hotel. We had the largest suite which was great - fabulous bathrooms, but the beds and especially the pillows are cheap and foam-like.
The food in the Bistro is very good but it's limited and stays the same, day-in-day-out. And they DEFINITELY need more staff to run it. The staff tried hard but they were a little frazzled.
The breakfast area reminded me of being at IKEA - it was madness, mayhem and the staff a little grumpy. Also loads of screaming kids.
MAJOR design fault that really needs to be rectified: in the Bistro and breakfast room they have these stupid low hanging huge lights over every table - we witnessed so many people (mainly men) seriously bash their heads. One older gentlemen nearly collapsed. For heaven sake, someone do something about this - simply raise them about 10 inches! No point telling the kids behind reception - most of them are too cool to be bothered.
On checking out the hotel I was delighted to find they have a swimming pool and area 'Just For Adults to Relax' - so why did so many parents allow their kids in that pool to scream their heads off when they had their own pool elsewhere? Why are so many parents so selfish towards others? For this reason I was not able to swim once - and it's mainly for this reason I don't feel I can go back. Personally I think the hotel should have a member of staff politely guide guests with kids to the right area.
Location: Port de Soller is nothing great at all - it's seen better times and they ain't coming back. Fortunately the hotel is away from the dross - Burger King anyone? But once nightime falls this is a nice quiet location to stare out to sea with a bottle of wine.
One small tip: right next door to the hotel there is a restaurant that looks very nice with outdoor seating on a decked area. It was the most awful meal we had in the whole two weeks we had travelling around Mallorca - and it wasn't cheap!
Overall we had a very nice time here - it was actually many of the selfish parents who spoilt it.

Waiting for the locomotiveWaiting for the locomotive

Squeare and the government buidingSqueare and the government buiding

Old Art Nouveau detailsOld Art Nouveau details

A nice bank building in SollerA nice bank building in Soller

Comments