Bilbao Jardines

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• bonio's Profile Photo

In the old town

Had decided we wanted to stay in the old town, this was the first hotel we saw, luckily they had a room for us.
    Cosy and comfortable, friendly welcome, good location and just a few minutes walk to both railway stations.
    Breakfast is available, extra cost.
    Happy to stay here again.

Directions: Arriaga tram stop at the end of the road.

More about Bilbao Jardines

The flower Puppy

by daryll

Another famous sculpture that found in Bilbao.
Pansy flowers all over the puppy sculpture.
Flower Puppy, I dont know what and why the flower Puppy is there next to Guggenheim museum.

Puppy

by bonio

On your visit to the Guggenheim it's probable you will see the puppy as well. Just at the entrance is a tree cut, is topiary the word for it? to look like a large puppy.
Mrs Bonio very impressed.

The Puppy

by Rhondaj

Jeff Koon's gigantic puppy sits in front of the Guggie. Can you see by the building just how big this pup is? (hope it's house trained!)
The flowers when I visited were shades of orange, yellow, and white. I wonder if they change seasonally?

Puppy

by AnnS

One of the things I liked best in Bilbao was 'Puppy', a floral sculpture of a West Highland Terrior, situated right outside the entrance to the Guggenheim Museum.

I'm not sure whether the flowers are ever changed but when I visited in winter, he was covered in pansies of every colour imaginable.

PuppyPuppy

The PuppyThe Puppy

With the PuppyWith the Puppy

The PuppyThe Puppy

Left Luggage

by woodstock

I will travel to Bilbao with heavy luggage. Since I will leave the city after visiting the shiny musuem, I would like to know if there is somewhere convenient (the train stations etc.) for me to leave my luggage.

RE: Left Luggage

by Belsaita

Last time I was there the train station of Abando had luggage storage facilities ("consigna"). Maybe a local could confirm this as well prices, etc. The Guggenheim museum has its own "consigna" as well, it's free but maybe they would not accept big luggage (I did used it sometimes, even without entering the museum... when after bussiness I wanted to wander a little before heading to the airport but without carrying my laptop).

Say hello to "Poppy" for me and drink some txacoli!

by Basajaun

Hi!!!

Yes, the "consignas" (Left Lugagge) are un full working order at the Abando Station. You will find no problem of timetables or anything else, because they are an automatic locker sistem (you haven't got to talk to anybody to leave or to get your pack back).

The price is about 4 to 6 Euros per day (not really sure, but i could find out if you want to.

The museum has got a left lugagge, but even if they would take a big pack, you still would have got to haul it all the way to the museum and back (and haul again if you feel like having a walkabout around the riverside (and you will, believe me).

For me, the Abando Station is the best choice. Is in the very center of the city and you will get there by many buses and the subway, so you will not have got to go to a corner of the city to get your stuff and come back again.

If you want to get a confirmation of the price, just tell me I will be very close to there this very week.

Best Regards

Inaki

by woodstock

Thanks a lot for everyone who provide me with an answer.

I have been there and found the left luggage service.

Puppy is great. Just wonder if the flowers are real and how do they maintain them.

by Belsaita

Yes, the flowers are real! I saw once the gardeners replacing some of the dried plants. The type of flowers changes along the year. I supposse the rainy weather helps, there must be something inside the structure that retains the humidity.

Puppy was supposed to be an ephemeral artwork, just for the opening of the museum, but the Bilbainos organised demonstrations asking to be left there. And now is one of the symbols of the city!

Comments