Iturriena Ostatua

Iturrienea Ostatua
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Affordable B&B

Not always easy finding reasonable accomodation for the budget minded traveller, but Iturriena Ostatua does fit the bill.

Very friendly owner and staff (family), public area a "nick-nacks" paradise of lots of little things to look at and keep fingers away from. Small courtyard with neat garden and all located on the first floor of a 5 story building (no lift). Rooms small but functional and comfortable and have furnishings with real character, however bathrooms are tiny.

Breakfast served in foyer and quite reasonable for price of 8 Euro each.

Property surrounded by restaurants, cafes and bars amid a maze of small streets.

More about Iturriena Ostatua

Bilbao, Santander. Which one to choose?

by Gerje

I have to spend some days in Spain. I have a meeting in Santander but I am flying to Bilbao. I plan to rent a car and I have approx. 2 spare days. Any good suggestions? Should I spend more time in Bilbao or in Santander? Is there anything in between these 2 cities that I should not miss? Are there any scenic routes or should I take the fastest route?

And is it easy to get the tickets to the Athletico Bilbao game or should I book these in advance?

Any help is appreciated!

Gert

RE: Bilbao, Santander. Which one to choose?

by zizu

You should spend more time in Bilbao! The coast between these two cities is fantastic! but I think Basque Country is better ;-)
Athletic´s stadium worth a visit, so you have to go!!
Have a good time here!

RE: RE: RE: Bilbao, Santander. Which one to choose?

by spacehopper

Hello,

Bilbao every time,it's one of my favourite cities in Spain. It's a very fun place, basque food is the best, people are very friendly and you have to check out the Guggenheim building (especially at night, I have always found the contents take second place to the building, but I guess it depends what you are into) and of course the puppy outside . The Artxanda Funicular is great too, it sweeps you up and gives you views of the city and is very cheap

If you haven't booked a hotel I can recomend you stay at the Iturrienea Ostatua (944161500) which is slap bang in the middle of the Casco Viejo, the old town which is full of tapas bars and should provide enough entertainment. The hotel is small and full of character. Very good value considering the locaction.

Santander is ok,I found it a bit dull. It rains a lot so the people are a little miserable. You must have lunch at one of the restaurants down by the fishing port (c/ marques de la Ensanada, barrio de puerto pesquero) Amazing, unpretentious seafood at very good prices.

I did try to go and see Athletic Bilbao but it was sold out so I would try and book in advance, I suppose it depends who they are playing against. I don't think there are any places you are going to miss in between Bilbao and Santander, there are a few places in Asturias I could recomend but that is is much further west than you are going.

I hope this helps and you have an ace time.

Best wishes