Roquefer

The Eight Radials From Plaza MoyuaThe Eight Radials From Plaza Moyua

BilbaoBilbao

Sunday in Bilbao

by jerry786

I am planning to arrive in Bilbao on Saturday evening, 10 July and leave on the morning of the 12th. I will go to San Sebastian on Monday. What is there to do in Bilbao on a Sunday? I've been to the museum before and probably will not go there. I assume stores will be closed. I won't have a car and don't want to ventue too far from the city.

by Permanente

I think that many stores are open (at least what I remember when I was recently there), but if you want to make an excursion, go and visit Puente Vizkaya Bridge which is not far from Bilbao, or just walk around the Old town of Bilbao...

by johngayton

There's more to Bilbao than just the Guggenheim, the city is a work of art in its own right and is great just to wander around (old city and new). Stop off for a little pintxo here and there and just enjoy. For an excellent art gallery with very much a local focus - http://www.museobilbao.com/in/ (open Sundays 10-8, entry 6 Euros). Or the Museo Maritimo - http://www.museomaritimobilbao.org (open Sundays 10-8, entry 5 Euros).

Pretend you're Spanish and just go with the flow.

by xymmot

Places close early on Sundays, I would just wander and relax in restaurants or coffee shops and enjoy the culture. Maybe wake up early and find the local markets, enjoy fresh breads and coffee. I will be in Barcelona for a week in July and expect the same. Chill, enjoy the people that are hanging out. Cheers Tommy x

by Roadquill

I was there for a Sunday two weeks ago in July and the place was dead (other than the museums). I thought the fine art museum is one of the best and has some great pieces. The park running by the river, actually up from the river is very pretty. The metro runs out to where the river hits the Atlantic. Karl

Travel Tips for Bilbao

Txakoli

by xstacey

Northern Spain is known for their Txakoli - a nice refreshing white wine. It's light but still has body. Not too dry and not sweet. Very easy drinking. This wine is hard to find in the states unfortunately, so if you like it be sure to bring a bottle or two back with you!

make sure you visit during St....

by wmnakai

make sure you visit during St. James festival. The entire regional dancing, making friends, site seeing, singing, going out to eat, and etc. was exceptional. I was treated like a brother whom returned from a long, long trip. we danced and watched the evening fireworks and parades in the street. people permitted my participation in cultural events. Fondest memory: How the youth of my age took me into their inner circles and learning that I was a Native American, danced with me in the streets and introduced me to the provincial leaders and we sang many cultural songs: Viva La Espania o Viva La Bilbao. Upon closure of festive events, gathered in the town square and while awaiting the fireworks, they lift me up above the crowd and floated my body around atop of the crowd, for what seemed hours and sang 'He is a jolly good fellow' in Spanish. What an elation that I will forever remember the rest of my life. Wished I could post a photo or picture; but, I was too busy floating around a top of the crowd that was shoulder to shoulder. Maybe someone remembers meeting myself or the events of years gone past and send me a picture.

Guggenheim Museum

by Carmela71

The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao open its doors in 1997.

The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao represents one of the most significant constructions of the century and, according to the Financial Times, 'a sign of the new image of the capital of Vizcaya'. The Guggenheim Museum was designed by world-famous architect, Frank Gehry.

Abenduako azoka

by mikey_e

When I first got to Bilbao (December 20) I thought that it was a mistake to visit Euskadi in winter. There was frost everywhere and I was ill prepared in terms of clothing. However, the next day I wandered into the Christmas fair in Plaza Berria. What a delight! Basques love to eat (since they're the best chefs in the world) and the fair had dozens of stalls selling traditional food, peppers, sausages, hams, olives, fish.... There were also concerts and folk dancing shows. Definitely way more festive and lively than Barcelona at Christmas.

The boat race

by timtregenza

Every year, usually on palm sunday (typically the start of April), there is a boat race between the University of Deusto and the School of Engineers.

Oxford and Cambridge it is not, but it has been going on now for nealry 30 years.

The finish line is at the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento).

Comments