Barcelo Gasteiz Hotel Vitoria

The Tower under RepairingThe Tower under Repairing

Travel Tips for Vitoria

Pinchos

by Rhondaj

Elsewhere in Spain, these small portions of food are called 'tapas', but here in Vitoria they are called pinchos.
Cafes and cafeterias have counters lined with glass shelving or glass platters, under which sit plate after plate of pinchos for you to choose.
Two good things for non-Spanish speaking people-
One: You can see what you're getting (although sometimes they don't taste like what you thought they would!)
Two: You can just point to what you want without having to worry about mispronouncing the words.
One good thing for everyone: they're cheap eats!

MUSEO DE ARMERÍA DE ÁLAVA

by RudoElCojonudo

This little museum have some interesting weapon collections. Only for warcraft addicts!!
FREE ENTRANCE.

Timetable:
Mondays CLOSED.
Tuesday to Friday 10:00-14:00 / 16:00-18:30
Saturdays 10:00-14:00
Sundays 11:00-14:00

Museo De Bellas Artes

by Rhondaj

We strolled many a day along the pedestrian promenade, Paseo de La Senda, before we thought to continue under the railroad pass to see what was there. (Usually we turned right onto the promenade towards our hotel.)
What a delightful surprise!
Paseo de Fray Francisco is another pedestrian walkway passing by stately palaces and 2 museums. The walk is lined with majestic trees. A stroll along the street alone is a must-see. But here is a picture of the Museum of Fine Arts, which you may care to visit.
Open:
Tues.-Fri. 10-2 and 4-6:30
Sat. 10-2
Sun. 11-2

The Reception

"Meeting new people"

We called our table the International Table. We represented: America, Belgium, Brazil, the Isle of Jersey, and Spain!

"Eating and Drinking Heaven"

The meal lasted about 2 hours with so many courses I lost count! I could barely eat a thing by the end of it all, but Bob was more than willing to help clear my plate. And our glasses were never empty!

Studying the menu!

"Social Blunder"

Where I come from, gifts are taken to the reception and placed upon a designated table. I knew I was in trouble when
1. I saw no such table.
2. No one else came bearing gifts.
and
3. I was getting odd looks.

Turns out, here in Vitoria, gifts are given to the bride and groom before or after the big day, not on it! Oh well. So now they know our custom!

Other social tip for ya' :
female to female greeting, or male to female greeting- kiss or 'air' kiss left cheek, then right cheek. Looks like I'm gonna plant one right on her lips though!

"Manuel and his bevy of beauties"

I'm not sure which ones are who, but I do know that Manuel has 5 sisters, so he must be used to this?

The bride and groom cut the cake. None of that smashing the cake in your face here. ( at least in this case)
How civilised!

"The dancing begins..."

and goes on and on and on! And there aren't any slow songs! And if you sit down for a bit, someone comes along, grabs you, and you're back out on the dance floor!

"Weaving through the tables..."

The congo line at wedding receptions must be universal!

Comments