Avenida Bruselas s/n, (formerly Gran Melia), Adeje, Tenerife, 38670, Spain
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Gran Hotel Bahia del Duque Resort

I live In the very luxary...

by yliu

I live In the very luxary hotel during this business trip.
The name is :GRAN HOTEL BAHIA DEL DUQUE.
I got very good relax here.
They have their own restarunt,I think about 6 or 7.That is really great.
USD$300 single
USD$330 Double Do not miss their fish restraunt

Excellent Villas

by TripAdvisor Member steveg69

Leaving a cold Gatwick Airport and arriving 4 hours later in a sunny 22degrees Costa Adeje would make anybody smile but my smile got even bigger when entering our "Las Mismosas" villa at the Bahia Del Duque hotel. My partner and I plus two "over excited boys 5&12 couldnt have asked for better accomodation.
The family villas are expensive (although we were holidaying for 10days over christmas) but are worth the money. The villa area also has its own reception/breakfast terrace area which is excellent and a great swimming pool, with lots of large comfy sun loungers.The villas do vary in size so i would recommend them for couples or families. Theres a new restaurant "Las Aguas" which is excellent and although Michelin standard is very child freindly. The staff are a credit to the hotel , really friendly, good service etc, they get to know you pearsonly which is nice.
We didnt venture out of the hotel much but we we did have a day at Siam Water Park which i would certainly recommend.
The mini club and teens club are good and the hotel also has tennis courts, squash courts etc...
Although i would return to the villas i wouldnt stay in the hotel itself , this is my own personal preference.
My only disapointment was the food in the hotel restaurants, i wasnt expecting michelin starred food,after all i was dining with children but it was very average.After speaking to other families this did seem to not just be my opinion. However one particular family who visited regular did say the food was normally better. please dont let this one small detail stop you from holidaying at the villas its all excellent.

Mis-information....a different viewpoint.

by TripAdvisor Member AletheiaLondon

Booked in mid-November to stay 1week Abama [please read review for revealing comparison!], then move to Bahia del Duque for 1week. over the xmas period.

At Bahia del Duque we stayed in the Casas Ducales area in 2adjacent double rooms, the first for my wife and I, the second for my 2year old boy and nanny. Internally rooms relatively small but not prohibitive; recently renovated and clean. Staff in Casas Ducales appropriate and genuine.

BdD does not profess to compete on level terms with Dubai big hotels (major competition other than the level of the Euro)..and this is not something they get wrong, so I dont use this as a comparison, but what I do expect from a 5star lhw hotel is a certain standard. I cannot comment on the villas which to be fair to the hotel are an attempt to bring the hotel standard higher by a big gap, but for me the hotel was tired and lacked any exclusivity. Tired should not be interpruted as old, as although having passed many years, tired represents a worn character, one that may have sat happy 10years ago, but does not match levels of service and quality that is around now and so increasingly accessible. Lack of exclusivity relates to rooms, the grounds, the restaurants and the location.

However what I really had issue was not the tired and valueless nature of the hotel as a whole, but the abhorrent corporate attitude of misinformation advertised in literature and the website when we booked one month before, that the ESPA Spa would be completed in 'Decemeber 2008' - we arrived 23rd Dec 08. Having stayed at at least two ESPA centered SPA hotels - Reethi Rah and Castello del Nero - when we booked we expected to not just have access to a treatment room, but to take advantage of the full atmosphere, facilities and peace one should find in what is advertised as a 3000m2 spa. The Spa was still a building site, there was no hope of a completion anytime soon (officially it is scheduled for Spring 09 now). On my visit, there were 10-15 workmen with drills and major equipment externally still clearly trying to create the final product - ie there was lacking structure, this wasn't finishing touches; internally dust and loose wires were a common feature. To lure clients with misguided facilities is not the client-friendly approach that I would expect of a hotel that is part of LHW, or advertised by any of the major players in the travel market. This is the type of strategy I used to hear about sub 3* hotels 10-20 years ago employing in certain parts of the Med. I have voiced my concerns to several parties and am awaiting a reply, but felt compelled to inform those that dont like to be mislead in the meantime.

Additionally, despite a pretty high tolerance to some levels of noise, due to my wonderful 2year old boy, we found not only the possibility of relaxing outside the rooms impossible - ie inappropriate Spa and unwelcoming external areas, but not only could I hear my nanny and boy talking at normal levels through the walls next door, but the same volume from the room above. Echoing corridors made of tiling (unfortunately to maitain character) made any sleep before 1am a frustrating task. Beds were average.

We tried to give the hotel a chance, but restaurants were average quality with above average prices relative to the quality. The location sent me back to my less cultural holidays, the beach was public, but seemed clean enough, but charges were naturally in place to use facilities. Entertainment for kids was good - a brief highlight, though the kids club lacked imagination of any sort and was small for a very big hotel aimed targetting families amoung its other groups. The more senior staff gave some boost to the service and were to be commended.

However we left on xmas day, 2days after our arrival, 5days before our planned departure - and returned to Abama, who were very welcoming as you can imagine to have us back.

I read that many guests on this site have had a great holiday here, so I mean no offence to those views, but it seems I have found the other side of the coin and hopefully my reasons illustrate and justify my opinion.

If you haven't been to a newly built redesigned hotel in the last 10years, then the standards may not disappoint, but please check before going to make sure what you are hoping for is what you end of receiving.

Now there's a thing........

by TripAdvisor Member intricate web

We approached this visit with some trepidation. We needed a holiday in the sun after a difficult period. The Canaries seemed the answer from a climatic point of view but we had been to Tenerife before and had not been impressed. The hotel, although the most expensive in the resort , didn't seem to sparkle in the eyes of TripAdvisor visitors either. Hence the reservations....

1: The place

What a change! Costa Adeje is clean , attractive and civilised. The promenade is well designed, beautifully laid out and the flora at times stunning. You can walk for hours east or west. (or is it north or south?) The Las Americas side was similarly clean and enhanced, no doubt with EEC monies. Sure Tatville still existed but seemed much more benign than hitherto with the insidious British influence not as much in evidence . Los Christianos looked on the up.Tenerife looks like it is consciously pitching a bit further upmarket. It is still overpopulated with cheap and tatty British bars and "restaurants" but they now look incongruous. Perhaps the weakening pound will encourage the authorities to continue the trend and look to more continental standards. They deserve credit for going in the right direction.

2: The hotel

We had seen Bahia del Duque being built and thought the italianate pastiche a little OTT and lacking taste in a Disneyish sort of way. However from the inside a different perspective is gained. This collection of traditional italian villas are stylish and realistic. The grounds are laid out in a most attractive fashion with sweeping staircases, gardens. pools , wonderful sunbathing areas/facilities and an overall atmosphere of authentic luxury. The designers are to be congratulated for their vision and imagination. Inside it feels real and special. A relaxing and charming atmosphere.

3: the food

Breakfast is simply excellent. Even the most fastidious will find something to please.The facility is light and airy, well staffed and even equipped with free newspapers from 9am.

There are various restaurants , including a Michelin starred one which we avoided. The Italian was the best of the the three we tried. Expensive but high quality. Staff service everywhere was almost Four Seaons standard. Staff are friendly , helpful and efficient.

We ate out on a few nights . El Tarito nearby is unprepossessing but excellent food. The castillain soup was new to me but highly recommended. The place is not cheap and they do tend to add any extra on rather steeply, eg 7 euro for bread and a bit of pesto . However it is so good that we went twice. Even better is Chez Bebita , just round the corner. A simple french restaurant serving a set meal in a lovely atmosphere with typical haughty French service. Very filling but good value. Mama Rosss in the centre continues to serve good food in atmospheric surroundings.

We were surprised at the cost of eating out, even allowing the the falling pound. it is certainly more expensive than suburban UK now. You can eat ridiculously cheaply in Tatville but on the experience of two dodgy lunches-not recommended.

4 The room

Simply stunning. And no problem whatsoever with noise from elsewhere in the hotel, despite lots of kids. There is a cocktail bar nearby outside the hotel with a singer who goes on too late and his voice does carry but the double glazing sorts that out.

5 The entertainment

Is very low key but stylishly done. We haven't enjoyed ourselves as much in any other hotel. The only pity is so few of the residents attend, no doubt due to the lack of pushiness by the hotel management. But 10 out of ten here.

Overall impressions?

The hotel is excellent in very regard. You have to pay for it ,but if you can afford it, it is worth it.

Tenerife? We came away with a different impression this time . We no longer see it as a soulless , last choice but somewhere for relaxing in soothing surroundings and luxury. Definitely a class above Sharm El sheikh and has advantages over Dubai.

And we didn't think we be saying that a couple of weeks ago!!

Fantastic Hotel, Lovely Area...

by TripAdvisor Member Just-Married21907

We booked this hotel as a last minute break to get some sun! Upon arrival we were given a welcome drink, and first impressions of the hotel were very good. Having been to Tenerife a few years ago, I wasn't sure what to expect but Costa Adeje is a worlds apart from the not so nice Las Americas!

We had upgraded our room to a superior double, and I think the only real benefit to doing this was the view over the sea, as the room itself seemed quite small in comparison to other hotels we have stayed in. When you are paying the prices that this hotel asks you do expect slightly larger rooms, and more room on the balcony - but overall we really can't fault it as it had everything you could need, except an iron and board, however, we called the clubhouse and they brought one over straight away.

The weather when we were there was very overcast and therefore we were very thankful of the heated swimming pool which is just lovely. The pool areas are gorgeous, and kept very clean - with the most comfortable sun loungers ever!

The restaurants in the hotel were ok, although a few of them were closed when we were there (low season). We did however eat at Las Aguas and this was exceptional - however, be warned - it is not cheap! We spent the best part of 300 euros on a meal for 2 but I have to say I enjoyed every single mouthful!

My only gripe of this hotel would be the charge they make for use of the tennis courts! When you pay quite a lot to stay at this hotel in the 1st place, you do not then expect to pay 25 euros for 1 hour of tennis (15 euros for court, and 5 euros for each racket). I really feel the use of the courts should be included complimentary as part of your stay. Also, if you want to play after 5 o'clock they then charge you a further 6 euros to turn the lights on!

Overall, we had a lovely break and would definitely return to this hotel without a shadow of doubt.

ps. the next hotel along from the Bahia is the Iberostar Anthelia and this looked really, really nice - and probably a fraction of the price!

pros and cons

by TripAdvisor Member DRodgers

On the plus side the Hotel gave us a complimentary upgrade to a suite from junior suite without being asked. They had already discounted substantially so that was an unexpected bonus. The suite was large with separate sitting area and huge balcony. We had paid extra for a sea view and on reflection this was absolutely the right choice. The view was fantastic .Unfortunately the furnishings were average especially the uncomfortable couch and the extremely hard bed. The latter was made up with sheets so tight it was like a straitjacket. The bed was made up as a twin even though we had booked a double. A word with the maid and we were changed to a "matrimonio" style.
Throughout our stay the service at all levels was faultless and very friendly.
January in Tenerife can mean some cool and windy days. The hotel rooms only have air con that can cool the room. There is no heating facility. This led to requests for heaters not just from ourselves but from fellow guests in the villas. Ridiculous in a 5 star Hotel.
Some of the other reviewers mention soundproofing and it is an issue. The corridors are not carpeted so every step is heard and the doors cannot be closed quietly. Noise travels easily from adjacent rooms. The low level of occupation during our stay meant that noise was not a problem, but it did also mean that the management rotated the closing of restaurants on certain nights. This restricted choice , while understandable from a business point of view, is a bit naughty when you have advertised a full range of eating options.
Evening entertainment is restricted to the piano bar. This usually consists of tribute bands playing for about an hour from 10pm. Good standard of performers meant some enjoyable evenings even if the shows were brief. We tended to spend some evenings in Los Christianos where there is more on offer.
The pool areas are probably the best part of the hotel complex. Lots of imagination has gone in to the layout of the various pools ( some heated) and there is always a tranquil leafy spot to park your comfy lounger for the day.
We found the restaurants to be average apart from the very expensive Las Aguas which provided fantastic food in bizarre surroundings. ( imagine a trendy designer let loose in a high metal roofed hall and you get the picture)
The best asset of this hotel in our opinion is the staff. They were all exteremey friendly and courteous at all times. They are all dressed in traditional Canarian costume and take a pride in all they do. They more than make up for the shortcomings of the hotel including the disneyesque architecture. Would we go back? Yes we probably will.

amazing villa accomodation, poor service

by TripAdvisor Member sibNorway

stayed in a 2-bedroom villa with our two daughters age 2 and 4. My parents and siblings with families stayed in three other villas beside us. We had a fantastic holiday; the villas are enormous and very comfortable, as is the private balcony with its own largish pool. The hotel showered us with in-room gifts: champagne or wine every night, plus gifts for the children. Also free access to internet and our choice of newspapers delivered daily.
As our extended family counts 14 people, we used the common pool area reserved for the villas. We had this area to ourselves and it was really nice, with a lawn for the kids, pool-toys for free and wonderful sun beds. We could also eat lunch in this area (although we had to move to a table).
We ate in the hotel's various restaurants every night, and (the kids) had great fun at the mini-disco afterwards. The restaurants are nice and good at accomodating children (high chairs and children's menu no problem). Also, our daughter's food allergy was taken seriously every time.
My daughter tried the children's club for a couple of hours, but did not really like it. It seemed very busy and there were no special welcome or introduction. None of the minders talked to her or introduced her to the others, it was more a storage place. I could very well be wrong here, as we did not try it again after this one time. The facilities were nice, though.

Now over to the other side of the coin. We experienced some inexusable incidents in the villa area of the hotel:
- every morning at breakfast there were some mix-up of our orders. As well as this we had to wait at least 30min for our food to arrive. Every day. It was bordering on a Fawlty Tower scene. The staff are extrememly well meaning and friendly, but this does not help when we pay obscene amounts for our holiday.
-every day at the pool there were some mix-up of orders - and again the delay. How can 4 bottles of water take 40 min to arrive(repeated every day), when we are the only customers??
-every day at lunch there were mix-ups of orders. I cannot remember the waiting time, but service was definitely not swift here either.
-the room service menu is very limited and not very good quality - our french fries were cold and soggy each time. And again, a lot of mix-ups of orders.
The villa reception were helpful and quick, but seriously failed us two times:
-we reserved at the Italian restaurant one evening, through them, and when we arrived at the reaturant it was closed. Apparantly it's always closed this weekday, as they should know. All other restaurants in the hotel were fully booked and we were left without any other alternatives. We heard no apology from the reception.
-the day prior to our departure day, the reception rang us 3 times to ask for our flight details so they could book a taxi for us. We ordered one, with child seats at a specific time. Luckily, I rang reception to confirm this an hour before we were to leave. They knew nothing about the taxi and said they never rang us the day before (why be defencive, did they think I made it up??) I said I did not care as long as they booked us another car. The car never arrived, and I asked if they could drive us in one of the hotel's cars, as we were already delayed. The receptionist immediately told me to go outside the hotel and stand by the road and get a taxi if I did not have time to wait. The other female receptionist gave me looks I would never expect to be given (and up untill then she was the sweetest and helpful woman). Very unprofessional.
To me, all the blunders seem to be down to a lack of system: the waiters do not know which table to wait, do not have a systematic dialog with the kitchen, the receptionists do not have a proper system to log communication etc etc.
It is a disgrace that a hotel which set out to be flawless make these small, but extremely annoying mistakes, in the light of what we had to pay to stay there.

relax & quiet holidays at tenerife

by TripAdvisor Member NyWines

My wife and I stayed at the Villas for five days a few weeks ago. We had a very nice welcoming with some drinks at the reception and a tour with the golf cars around the resort..the villa was ready by the time we got to the hotel which made it easy for us. the hotel is perfect.situated.The beach and malls just a short walk away, and for golf players different golf courses, lot of facilities and marvellous spa just opened with a wide range of treatments. almost six restaurants in the resort, a lake and ducks, many bars,and pools.So wonderfull. We don´t know the rest of the rooms at bahia, but the villas were very spacious and excellent decoration, private pool and a big bath with a sunroof.
For us were very quiet and relax holidays.Staff were very friendly and helpfull. There is a breakfast buffet at the reception area and also for lunch which was very enjoyable for us, even there were many children and big families. We really love the grapefruit,coffe,the fresh fruit and the scrambled eggs in the mornings at hte breakfast area reading the newspaper until noon. We miss it!!:One day ,we got in the villa and they had organized a special bath with roses and candles. we really apreciated this small things they did for us to make us fell special. most of the days we ate at the villa, we had the chance to have food delivered in our villa coming from the restaurants at the hotel which make it easier for us. It was the first time in a hotel I am asked when I would like to have the minibar replaced and ask for any special drinks at minibar and fresh fruit. perfect holidays. We definitely we´ll come back after august not in busy periods.

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member katemul9x

Very nice hotel, booking in was fast and effiecient. Room very disappointing our first room had a window box for a balcony, we complained and were moved the next day. This was better although, we faced a brick wall and had to stand to see anything. The view was not great looking out to the side of the complex, the room was larger than the first one, it was a bit tired and dated, in need of upgrading but comfortable although for 2 adults and one child a wee bit cramped, it was in my opinion not 5 Star.

The hotel itself was lovely the grounds beautiful and although the hotel was full, through the Easter holidays it seemed very peaceful. The hotel did remind me of the TV programme The Prisoner I expected to bump into Patrick McGoohan or to encounter the ball. We did manage to get sunbeds every morning around the top heated pool which was favoured by the Familes with young children although I did have to get up at 8.00 to get them, the usual scenario, people come down leave their towels and don't appear until lunchtime. Mostly British unfortunately. This was not a major problem because there were plenty beds all over the complex and you could come down at any time and be assured of getting a sunbed but if you wanted a prime spot you had to be down early!

The Kids Club was great my 8 year old loved it, the ages ranged from very young (although you did have to stay with under 5's) to 9 years. They open at 10.00 and could stay until 8.00, they would take them to lunch if you wanted for 12 euros charged to your room, and deliver them back to your hotel room or sunbed if requested. They played the usual games, arts and crafts, and would often be seen marching the kids around the hotel on treasure hunts etc. Almost every day at 4.00 a bouncy castle would emerge and the kids would bounce around having a great time. The staff were excellent they looked after all the children efficiently they were signed in and were enclosed in a central safe area, my 8 year old was allowed to enter and leave at her leisure being one of the older ones but this was discussed at great length after my agreement and knowing where we were in the hotle area, they were very efficient. I would have no hesitation in entrusting children to their care.

We had booked half board this was an excellent choice the food was very nice, with themed nights every night we ate every night in Bernegal the buffet restaurant, this was our choice because we could have eaten in any of the other 4 or 5 restaurants although we did find out that the menu is different if you have booked half board to that of someone who is paying for their meal, in my opinion the menu for half board was not nearly as extensive as that of "paying guests" in fact I did take the Manager to task over this when I visited the "Club Room" where guests can book the restaurants, and I was asked if I wanted to see the half board menu or the "Normal Menu" this was passed off as a translation error although she did inform me that people pay a lot of money to eat in these restaurants and that we could eat for free, and more or less - what did I expect!! As a result we did not visit any of the other restaurants the food in the buffet restaurant was excellent anyway, plenty to chose from I ate Ostrich for the first time it was delicious, such a selection from starters to deserts you could not ask for anything more and they would make anything for our daughter that she desired if she did not fancy anything available in the buffet. I had no complaints about the food here, no queuing and excellent service, just as you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

The entertainment was also very good in the evening outdoors, again the kids loved it, a mini disco and usually a Magician or some other child friendly entertainer, and after 10.00pm the evening entertainment moved indoors to the Piano bar, I cannot comment on this we did not hang around after the outdoor entertainment finished.

One hint we did not find out until we had been there a few days, they have free bottles of water in the towel area, we had been buying these from the bar area and nobody told us we could get them free.

All in all we had a lovely holiday and would have no hesitation in returning

Superb service, excellent rooms

by TripAdvisor Member huw60

We have stayed here many times, and return because of the superb service and the excellent accommodation. The staff are the hotel's biggest asset. Pools (heated and cold) are well maintained. Breakfast buffet is really good but food in other restaurants can be mediocre. The hotel has expanded in recent years but it still doesn't feel too big or impersonal.

Looking for a luxury hotel in Europe on a budget!

Hi all :)

Looking to treat my fiance to a week away some time in October/ November.. Looking to go somewhere hot but really want a luxurious hotel

that one looks great but a bit out of my budget!

Has anyone been to one that they could reccommend?

Looking to spend £1000 max for 7 nights..

by cimber

Hi,
Have a glance at 'The Tenerife Forum' - plenty of advice & accommodation on offer there.........

by bbtb

Not looking at the canarys hence why i posted in the europe forum not the canary forum :) it just so happend that the hotel that was reccommended on trip advisor was in the canarys..

The destination is unimportant as long as its 'warm' 25oc, its the nice hotel that im after :) Will take a look at cape verde cheers

by bbtb

has anyone stayed in a really nice hotel recently that they care to recommend??

by johngeres

I have stayed in Hotel Bernini Bristol in Rome, Italy. It's a beautiful and affordable luxury hotel.

Comments