Hotel Gema Esmeralda Playa

Booking.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Gema Esmeralda Playa

Christmas hang over

I too read peoples views of the hotel before I went some good some bad I just prayed it would be good for us. It was our first christmas away from home. It looks great when you first arrive just as the peson before me has written. looks 4star downstairs but a different matter in rooms we had chips in the bath cracked and loose floor tiles and on the balcony as well. The cieling was a mess in one part of the room proberly had leak some time, the mirror on the wardrobes were cracked and to top it all we were to have two double beds an landed up with 2 twin and a fold up bed for my 16 year old daughter to sleep on. The worst thing was we were supposed to get christmas dinner it never happpened it was a meal worse than usual as there were'nt many staff on duty. Staff were allowed to finish at 10pm on christmas eve the bar was closed at 9.30 pm and the lights switched out in the entertainments area that was christmas eve for you. The waiter in the resteraunt were polite and helpful but the waiters in the bar areas were very rude. The food was okay but the same things most days and after awhile it gets boring. The place could be cleaned better in certain areas rooms, pool, games room. This is not a four star hotel. I am in the middle of complaints procedure and I certaily would not go back there again, Dont go there if you want to celabrate christmas. I was told they dont celabrate christmas by hotel management. Everyone was upset about it, it wasnt a good atomsphere to be in. One good thing we had a great view.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hanScotland

this was one of the nicest hotels ive been to. I had seen alot of bad reviews about it and was starting to get worried. me and my boyfriend were off to tenerife for 2 weeks. Though the hotel doesnt look anyhing special from the outside, when your in its really nice. Marble entrance and lovely fancy lifts. Rooms were pratical with usual things. Air conditioning was really good!! View over the pool and sea so it was really nice. Food was lovely. We went half board and i think we came backa stone heavier haha. Lots of different choices. Beach just down this small hill and bus stop for all excursions right across the road. perfect location!

Not as good as 3 years ago

This is our second visit to this hoteland feel that the hotel has gone downhill in some aspects. The rooms and hotel areas are clean and tidy although no hangers in the wardrobes. Only Sky News and Eurosport on the T.V.. The food was repetitive after 2 days, hardly any variation in menu and mostly warm to cold. The best meal of the week was on the flight back home!!! We hardly saw any smiles from the hotel staff. We went all inclusive, but that only between 11.00am and 11.00pm. The hotel is in a good location, close to the beach, shops etc. If we visit again we will choose another hotel unless this improves greatly.

Hotel Is Good

by TripAdvisor Member JoKev

Recently stayed at this hotel having travelled to Tenerife for the first time. First impressions were extremely good as the lobby/reception area is very grand.
The rooms are not up to same high standard but were comfortable, a good size and cleaned on a daily basis (towels and all). The view from the room is great wherever you are in the hotel. It was quiet at night despite our room being poolside.
The meals were of a good standard.....walking into the dining room in the morning was always a pleasure due to the hotel having its own baking ovens, baking fresh croissants, danish pastries etc. This was a great touch!
The pool area was great with 3 pools to choose from....though the kiddies paddling pool strangely wasn't the warmest. The main pool is actually heated so is very pleasant to go into.
All in all, we would recommend this hotel to friends, so can recommend it to strangers too!!

Not for foodies

I didn't read the reviews on this hotel until after I booked. I know not a good idea. As many others have said the actual hotel is ok, its old in comparison to others in the area however the reception, rooms ,bar ,pool area and cleanliness are ok. This is however not a four star hotel and whilst several people who stayed there were regulars its definately an acquired taste. ie if you like plain warm food and bad restaurant service this is ok for you. Even on our first night going down on the lift others were more or less warning us about the food. Forget a relaxing breakfast it was more a race every morning to get a cup don't expect a saucer as that would come later. Once you queue for your chosen drink , there is only coffee ,hot chocolate or normal tea ie no choice of teas ,don't expect a teaspoon unless you ask one of the staff (I say staff not waiters as all they did was clear tables for the next group. Breakfast itself wasn't bad and you did have freshly baked pastries, however don't dream of your fried eggs the way you like them,they only come in one shape. We tried lunch one day instead of dinner. The service was better I think that was more to do with the restaurant managers presence ,even then it was hard to know what the food was as there were no labels to identify whether it was meat ,fish etc , mainly all covered in batter . If you like chips you are ok. Dinner forget it if you expect a relaxing meal that you can linger if you try and get there any later than 8.30 the food is cold and they start clearing away rather than replemishing. We were shown to our seats, we asked 3 times for a wine list , we waited 20 mins on someone coming to take our order and when it came it was wrong, (remember this is 4 star) , Certainly no silver service here. Also the adverts describe the hotel as being in Costa Adeje , it is in Torviscas and only 5 minutes from Port Colon which whilst a nice harbour ,its not good if you want to avoid english breakfasts for 2 euros and want to avoid live football matches on TV with heavy drinking at night. Head out of the hotel and go to the Fanabe area,it has a lovely promenade and heads into Costa Adeje. Back to the Esmeralda the one big plus is its new spa , its only opened 3 months, I had a lovely hot and cold stone massage and a pedicure . The spa is more fitting in a better hotel. Only go to this hotel if you like plain ,semi warm food . If you are a foodie like my husband and I only book bed and breakfast. When we arrive the first room we were given the door was open ,beds unmade and towels lying everywhere , the 2nd room was made up however no towels and poor air conditioning. If you go to the hotel in the hotter months hire a fan from the guy in the hotel shop, he also has kettles and irons for hire. It was our first time in Tenerife and I would recommend hiring a car and going to places like Los Abrigos where there are fantastic seafood restaurants at reasonable prices.

Definately Not FOUR STARS

by TripAdvisor Member SusanL55

This was our first trip to Tenerife and really looking forward to it, we always go four star on our holiday hotels and our first impressions of this hotel was good the reception/lobby all in polished marble very nice as were the lifts to our hotel room floor, this is were we entered another world there was iron doors opening onto our floor and the rooms were very much in need of repair and updating we got this holiday from SKY Holiday text and would certainly think twice about doing this again. In some of the rooms the plaster was falling off and generally needed some TLC There wasn't enough bedding/pillows for the three of us staying in the room not that they would have improved the beds much as they were as hard as nails and my nine year old daughter only just fitted on the folded down bed they supplied. The balcony had obvious been repaired and still moved slightly which gave us great confidence. The bathroom often had the most unholy of smell coming from it. This hotels advertises that it has all facilities of a FOUR STAR HOTEL in the rooms however the only thing that was' free 'was the cooling system , SKY TV all 3 channels (news etc) and a hairdryer everything else had to be hired

Breakfast was from 07.30am but it never opened on time so it was like a race with everyone merging at once, if you went down later you had a warm meal and ate at a table that had been 'dusted down' from the previous diners and their rubbish (t. bags butter/jam tubs) still left in a tub in the middle of the table. On one occasion there was no hot drinks at all, the two machines weren't working and there wasn't a waiter in site to offer alternative so you had to make do with watered down juice. We were half board so had the pleasure of evening meal (he he) you didn't know what you were eating half the time the only items that looked OK was the ever present (at every meal) fruit salad and tinned pineapple rings or you could go advanterours and try the salad (lettuce,tomato and sliced carrot) once again you often sat at a table that had been 'dusted' down from the previous diners there was no choice of wines or beers you could only have dry wine or dorado beer (or soft drinks) no drinks lists. You couldn't even have a coffee after to your meal you had to go downstairs into the foyer. Food was often spilt on floors which was expertly picked up by a waiter with a paper napkin (not washed just picked up and a quick rub). Needless to say we spent a lot of our holiday money eating out. I have never ate in a supposidly FOUR STAR hotel like it and we have travelled all over the world. There certainly is NO FOUR STAR service in their restaurant.

We found that staff on the whole were quite friendly except around the pool area where the bar staff were often too busy having their own conversations to serve you, in fact I think probably got a good start to my tan waiting for them to serve me. There was a life guard on duty around the pool but for what good he did, he must have really high scores on the games on their mobile phones because he didn't lift his head from his phone at all so anything could have happened in that pool to anyone and he would be the last to react. The pool itself wasn't cleaned properly and you often shared your swim with other mediterean critters. As well as the lining of the pool coming away in places and you could feel it against you arms and feet.

I think that this hotel should be re assessed ASAP instead of pretending to be something it certainly isn't also there needs to be a lot of updating done. However I do have something to thank the Esmeralda for if it hadn't been for it's awful restaurant we wouldn't have found and dined at some other lovely places which really contributed to us having a lovely time at Tenerife. So I would recommend going to Tenerife to everyone, but unless you want basic accomodation to sleep in and you don't mind what you eat and like to pose in a lovely foyer go to the Esmeralda.

loved the hotel, shame about the attitude of some of the staff

The hotel is fine. I have no complaints about the food. The room was perfectly adequate. I have read other reviews and have noted comments about the air conditioning. We were not in a suite. Our room was always perfectly cool. The other people with us had a suite as they had two small kids with them. They would not agree with my comment re the air conditioning.

The location is fantastic, very convenient to all that goes on in the area. The pool area is great. Oh yes, stay out of the middle lift out of the three. They were having regular problems with that one whilst we were there. The entertainment was far better than I probably expected and the "animacien" team were brilliant.

BUT. If you go like us, all inclusive, be warned. You will very quickly find that in the bar you are treated like a second class citizen. The staff can be very rude when you order your drink and then get the magic card out of your pocket.

Some of the more senior members of the serving staff should change their jobs and become debt collectors or the like. Then their surly manner would probably earn them high rewards.

We had a great holiday but then I am not highly volatile. If I had a temper then I would most certainly have lost it over the actions of a just a few of the staff. I did complain and the hotel mangement sent a bowl of fruit and a bottle of water to my room.

Nice hotel, OK location

by TripAdvisor Member holidayguruFalkirk

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel in January. We first of all waited 20 mins whilst the receptionist (perma tan male) spoke to an old couple then when it was our turn he ignored us and answered a phone. Once we got into our room though we were very pleased the views are stunning and you can see both hillside and sea. Our only disappointment with this hotel was the staff and the location - Adeje is like a resort on its own and it is 7 euros away from Playa de las Americas centre. However there are many things to do along with a few nice eateries on the front. More suited to couples an families. Entertainment is atrocious dont go! Head 200m round the corner and have fun in the karaoke bar where the dj is always up for a laugh. Tenerife is 10 times better than it was 10 years ago far more scenic than Spain.

not a 4* hotel but.....

by TripAdvisor Member ScotsTrav

I stayed here for 2 weeks half board from 28th July, room 440, at the very far end of the hotel on 4th floor. I never had any problems with the lifts but I rarely used them and I never heard of any problems with them during my stay.

There were gorgeous views from my room which had an enormous superkingsize bed (NOT two singles pushed together, a real all in one superking! - I travelled alone so there was at least one perk for the extortionate single person supplements!!).

The food was always OK if a bit repetative, always plenty. All staff were always pleasant and helpful. I was particularly observant of the staff attitude to the all inclusive customers and could see no difference with how they were treated. Staff were to be commended for their linguistic abilities - there were German, Dutch, Polish, Austrian, Russian, Italian and various English speaking nationalities staying at the hotel along with other nationalities.

Minor repairs (provide black out blind/repair tv/blown light bulb and keycard) were carried out promptly by staff.

I saw the pools being cleaned every day along with the pool and communal areas (guests could have made better use of the rubbish bins provided!).

The location in the Torviscas area was ideal (a bit hilly and road works being done) with vast assortments of bars, resturants and shops nearby and the beaches and marina within 5 mins walk. I was also able to walk to and back from all the sites in Las Americas at one side and Del Duque/Adeje to the other side. I took an inexpensive taxi ride back one night.

This hotel was.... at one time...... a 4* - back when it was built but, it is in desperate need of updating and redecorating. Many of the tiles are cracked or chipped, part of the vanity unit in the bathroom was missing as was some of the border wallpaper. Most of the walls were in dire need of repainting. The (lime green) bathroom suite had a number of chipped areas and the shower head gave out a thin (but powerful) spray.

Facilities in the room were basic - hairdryer, air con, 3 English speaking tv channels, shower cap, wash gel and shoe shine pad. I would expect to see a greater range of items such as tissues and other cleansing products.

Unfortunately the only way to ensure the bedroom doors closed/locked was by slamming them shut - especially disturbing as there were 40 rooms along one corridor and people were coming and going at all hours of the day and night!

Everyday there was the usual scrabble for sunloungers and parasols. I could see a great stack of loungers in a store in pristine condition but these did not come out. A broken toilet seat in the pool area facility had obviously been broken for some considerable time, obvious by the deterioration of the plastic around the break, and had not been replaced (certainly not during the 2 weeks I was there).

This is very much a family hotel, with large amounts of children but this is not surprising given that I went during the peak international school holiday season, so, expect to have all ages of children running around the lobbies, bar, pool and corridor areas until the very early hours of the morning!

All in all, this was an OK hotel - but not a 4*. I have stayed in others and would rate this as 3*. Taking this in mind, I would return to the hotel.

Nice hotel

hoetl was very nice. Just make sure the air con is working properly in each of the rooms. Childrens activities ok. food excellent. Eat as much as you want.

Comments