Hotel Merlin Resort

El Jable 36, (Formerly Hotel Ocean Club), Callao Salvaje, Tenerife, 38678, Spain
Otel.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 54% more and rated 14% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Merlin Resort

What Is Everyone Moaning About?!?!

by TripAdvisor Member JueandMark

I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING!!! We have put this site up because we are thinking of going back for Christmas and we are just gob-smacked......What is everyone on about?!?.........My partner and I went to this hotel last summer [this being my partners first time abroad] and we thoroughly enjoyed it. OK......The food wasn't gourmet,but there was a supermarket on the corner of the street. The rooms were clean........Not Hilton standards,but the sheets and towels were good. The entertainment was quite varied, and catered for both adults AND children during the day AND night. The staff were friendly and helpful,even the kids club reps didn't shun the kids when they were off duty and in the bar [and lets face it....some parents don't care where there kids are as long as they're not around them] but that was just the quality of the reps I guess........looking out for the children. We just enjoyed it. We met [and keep in touch with]some great couples and families from this holiday, so all I can say is if you are looking for a "Butlins" atmosphere with the guaranteed sunshine then go to this place. We are booking soon,and NO, we're not related or have any connection to any staff.reps etc..........
WE JUST HAD A GOOD HOLIDAY.........THANKS FIRST CHOICE!!!!

the sentence doesnt fit the crime

by TripAdvisor Member pallett

o k i dont know why they sent us here. we payed for 3*+ and got 1-. we had to spend loads just keeping away from the place. this is a throw back to the seventies compleat with hi di hi entertainment. kids and loud teenagers running amock, a school canteen to try to enjoy your meals in (well its food of sorts). the veiw of cranes is impressive and they all work. the pool side is discoloured and just old. our room was grubby with sheets that are original.

Hotel Hell!!

Rooms dirty, Food very poor (even the several stray cats wouldn't eat it)
Alcohol very poor.
In our opinion this was the worst holiday we have ever been on and several other guest's at this place thought the same.
The only good thing about this holiday was the weather, But no air con.
Spend your hard earned cash on a much more deserving hotel than this Rick Mayo's 'Hotel Paradisso' (Hotel Hell)

Unless that is you like stale cheese rolls for snacks and all the ledt overs from the luches and dinners mixed together and flung onto a Pizza and can live on veg for a week (first hol I've ever been on and lost weight!!)
Towels were only changed twice in a week!

Oh and HELLO ALL INCLUSIVE means all drinks paid for but this mob charged you 3 Euros for cocktails.

If you do end up staying here you will get lovely food down the road at Beckams pub and Titanic Pizza.

CAN SAFELY SAY WILL NEVER BE VISITING OCEAN CLUB HOTEL OR TRAVELLING WITH FIRST CHOICE AS WE WERE RIPPED OFF unfortunatly we didn't get a CHEAP deal.

What you get is what you pay for

I visited this Hotel after reading the reviews on this website and was dreading going. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised, the food was excellent a different choice every day catering for all needs (not 5* of course) but certainly edible, the all inclusive drinks were fine for local brands and as previously stated what you get is what you pay for. The rooms were basic but clean, the entertainment throughout the day and night was excellent Hayley, Liam, and Dave you do a brilliant job.
I booked a late deal and was more than pleased with what I got.

First time abroad for kids

I travelled with a friend and her son along with my husband and 8 children came with us.
Now I read what others write and can agree to some of it although not all of it, staying there a week we came across some MINOR problems, but isn't that everywhere??
My children and foster children hadn't flown before and between us all we paid well over four thousand but I do feel others forget that is also the flight not just the hotel, The food was edible as others say, and I fell very well cooked,There was a variety pretty much the same everyday but hey you do not have to cook!
The drinks granted were *okay* although watered down, that isn't just this hotel that does this.
The staff cleaned constantly although I heard many grumbles about rooms, ours again was cleaned, now my two daughters stayed in my friends apartment but as she was going out early the following day they bunked with us, I found the next day the maids had put another bed in for us! How lovely is that!
We had 3 rooms altogether which were all cleaned to the highest standards.
The staff were very miserable looking, but again haven't they some reason to be the place is changing to a German hotel and from what I understand the staff have all lost jobs.
The comment about the stray cat is absolute rubbish, one of the waiters owns those 2 cats and YES they DO eat the food we fed them on and off, and they ARE both innoculated etc.
I have to mention...There were comments made which we overheard around the poolside that *They wanted a quiet hoilday with no kids* WELL DON'T GO TO A ALL INCLUSIVE HOLIDAY THEN! Is it not obvious families will be there!!!
Holidays with no children CAN be booked!
One of the receptionist with long dark hair was absolutley lovely! Helping with anything, Polite and gave total respect. I stood there one day when a man shouted at her about the coke machine not working and he didn't like the tea, She straight away got on the phone and sorted it as much as could be, and he continued to shout at her!
The entertainment wasn't fantastic, you spent alot of time waiting in an evening between each thing and one of the staff from first choice mentioning no names, spent her time with the customers on evenings out and tended to have her favorites which were these groups of guys...
Liam was well liked and loads of fun for the poolside games etc, and Hayley I found a bit out of order when I heard her say to a lad *Shut up you brat* (rep) BUT I must stress was a huge help when there was a problem even though her shift had finished, she restored my faith.
Yes a comment I also read about all inclusive about a kitchenette with four rings and no utensils is rather strange and you did have to hire things BUT we borrowed a kettle from another family we met who didn't have to pay who think it is because they made the effort to speak some Spainish! LOL
Overall we had a good time, I would suggest perhaps less time thinking about the bad and go all out for enjoying what parts you can! My kids loved it although they haven't known different, Being abroad before myself yes I have been to much better, but it isn't all that bad! The biggest downful is if your are about to go you have alot of work going on there with the change over!

Not that bad

Read the reviews and was apprehensive, ok the hotel is a bit tired, but our room was clean, the bed linen was spotless and the room was cleaned every day that it should have been. The food - no problems, the cheese sandwiches were not stale and it was good to see fruit on the snack bar, a good choice at each meal, desserts a little disappointing, but hey there was always ice cream and this was excellent. The drinks - again no problems, I didn`t see anyone turn one down. I never saw a cockroach all week. Why don`t people read the brochure? it tells you exactly what is "all inclusive" and it does not include television and cocktails. The hotel staff and reps were always as helpful as they could be. The downsides are the depth of the pool, lack of air conditioning and bad mannered British children. We got this holiday at short notice and at the end of the day got what we paid for.

Suited our needs

by TripAdvisor Member fixit-1

We have just returned from this hotel and found it typical of the seventies package deal no air conditioning and building work all around.
Entertainment was what you would expect from this type of holiday.
Food reasonable. We found that the roof top sun terrace was a god send only draw back with this facilty was the lack of hot drink/bar facilty and a toilet. My biggest disappointment was the British guests, Shouting ans swearing in the corridors with no consideration for other holiday makers and that was just the parents, the kids was worse.
Overall. It suited our needs. a week in the sun away from work, but we would not go back.

Woudln't Go Again

by TripAdvisor Member Heather83

My boyfriend and i went to tenerife for his birthday last year. We were allocation on arrival and ended up in the Ocean Club.
On the plus side our room was clean and it was a good size with a couch and a double bed in it.
The food was cooked well but i didn't find there was much choice. A lot of the same thing every night with a choice of pizza and chips and not much else. This was dissapointing as when we go away we like to try all the local delicacy however i only remember there being one dish that was a local one the rest was english food. The staff were friendly but seemed rather quick to clear away your plates- even when we hadn't finished eating. I suppose this could be a good thing as there are no plates with food left around on tables however it did feel like we were being rushed to eat our meal a little.
The pool was a good size but we only spent 1 day by it and never visited it again. The behaviour around the pool i found was embarassing to say the least. There were cups everywhere even though there were bins for people to use, there were plates left with food on them and ice cream dropped on the floor and left. This meant that there were flies all over and frankly we were both embarassed to be British if this is how we "brits" behave abroad. Children were running riot and no one seemed to be taking any notice of them so they were doing what they wanted- and yes i know its their holiday and they can enjoy themselves but i think that it doesn't hurt to have a little respect for others who were at the hotel.
To be honest we were rarely at the hotel. We found other ways of amusing ourselves for example we took advantage of the excellent bus services that were really cheap. Plus the free bus that went from the hotel to playas de las americas.
The night time was particulary bad with kids running riot eveywhere. They were throwing stones at people as well all over the floor, they were causing havoc and again parents turned a blind eye. So again we steered clear of the hotel on a night.
The drinks were good, being all inclusive was good as it meant you could get a cold beer or just a soft drink anytime which i found extremely handy. The snacks during the day were decent enough but not a lot of choice. There was usually just cheese sandwiches and on a night they put out pizza slices. But there wasn't usually much of a chance to get them so if you go you have to be quick of the mark.
So overall we made this holiday ourselves- we only used the hotel to sleep and for our evening meal and that was about it. Which is a shame as we were all inclusive and didn't really take advantage of this. This hotel is ideal for famalies but i wouldn't recommend it for couples wanting a nice relaxing holiday!

What a mess ans its shutting down at last

We have just come back from what is a twoo week family holiday from hell, we were greeted in the early hours bye what my farther in law said was the biggest cockroach he has ever seen, and they never went away. All we got told bye the staff is that we are in a tropical climat. And the fact is that their is an open (no cage) emergancy generater round the back feet away from the kids club house too close for me. The food was and will be out of a tin, the kids meals were chips (cold) and squid rings, as for the adult menu its rubish.
We were glad to be told bye the receptionist that a German group had bought the colplyy and it was shutting from the 1st oct 2005 to the 15th dec 2005 for a refit, in my eyes it needs blowing up out dated and out off luck.

I enjoyed it

I really enjoyed staying here. I mean fair enough the food wasnt great but so what there was plenty of places to eat around it. Beckhams bar was lovely to eat in and there was more. The entertainment was gud enuf that girl that sung could realy belt out a tune. Seriously wasnt that bad. STOP MOANING!

Comments