Vincci La Plantacion del Sur

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 26% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Vincci La Plantacion del Sur

A great hotel in waiting, but improve the service

by TripAdvisor Member TSYChelmsfordUK

The Hotel Vincci La Plantacion is a 5-star treat in waiting. 4 and a half stars at the moment.

The arrival at the hotel is impressive. The reception area looks great - genuine 5-star appearance - and our room (237) was superb - lounge area, TV's, bathroom, great sea views, balconies, all of the highest quality.

The hotel itself is built on a piece of land that is shaped like the bow of a ship, with the pointy bit facing toward the sea (although it is not directly on the beach, but a 10-minute walk downhill, which is a bit of a pain coming back at night after a drink or two).

The pools are good but the two main pools are freezing cold, which is no good this time of year. As a consequence, only the bravest souls ventured in (and quickly came out again).

A downside was the service. OK, but not quite good enough for a 5-star hotel. The reception staff, in particular, were not up to it. They were not rude or anything, just slightly incompetent. Examples -lending out all the tennis rackets to another party who had not booked so that, when we turned up (having booked earlier), we were unable to play. Plus, little idea on recommendations on where to eat outside the hotel.

Things a little indifferent pool-side, too. Pool not heated (see above), waiter service haphazard and people were allowed to do the "turn up in the morning and put your towels over the bed to reserve even if you only use it late afternoon". A pool-side attendant should be around to make sure this does not happen and this sort of thing should not be allowed in such a high quality resort (I know it does but it's one of my main bugbears with hotel holidays).

The gourmet restaurant served some great food and the service was excellent, but the restaurant is in an unattractive corner of the hotel and was empty most nights. They need to re-design that a bit and the place will boom.

Closest comparison would be with the Bahia Del Duque across the road. It's a lot smaller than the BDD but far better designed, particularly reception, the bars and the rooms. However, the BDD is beachside (which is nicer) and the pools there are great. The BDD is better for kids.

Overall, someone has clearly spent a lot of money creating a lovely hotel. Improve the service and tidy up a couple of edges and it would be a luxurious 5-star hotel worthy of the title.

Gorgeous property, just rememer to guard your valuables!

by TripAdvisor Member MJTN

My husband and I stayed here for a pre-holiday trip (3 nights) as he had to work over the holiday season. We chose La Plantacion based solely on tripadvisor ratings.

The hotel was gorgeous and our stay was perfect, besides one small mishap. Our room was 5+star quality with a great view of the ocean and a balcony to watch the sunsets, our room was clean and the decor was amazing. The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our entire stay. The restaurant was above average and the pools/gym/spa facilities were the best I have seen in Spain. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone...with one caveat.

On our first morning (after a night arrival) we had 300 Euro taken out of our wallets. We were partly to blame as we didn't use the room safe and just kept our wallets in the wardrobe when we went to breakfast/pool. When we came back in the afternoon to go shopping we noticed we had both had half of our cash taken. We knew this because we had just exchanged money at the airport and hadn't spent any money yet. It seems like this may happen to guests quite often (in many other hotels) - as many of us don't always notice exactly how much money we have in our wallets during a holiday. We just want to bring this to potential guests attention - even when staying in such gorgeous 5 star properties - we should always use the hotel safe.

We told the hotel manager and she investigated for us, but couldn't really do anything and we don't think she really believed us anyway. As she said it had never happened before and she was shocked. We didn't cause a big scene about it, but we think it may happen more often than not and guests just don't realize they have had money taken, they may just think they spent it the night before. The fact is it could have been another guest (or hotel staff) who got into our room, possibly while the maid was cleaning or by somehow getting over the balcony from the next door room. We don't really know.

But overall this was a spectacular stay in a gorgeous property that has much potential to be perfect. Just remember to take precautions with your valuables.

A little piece of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member globetrottterr

I have just returned form this amazing hotel as part of an inspection trip. I spent 2 nights and loved every single moment. On arrival we were greeted by a very handsome young man who took our baggage, then we were taken to a veranda for champagne and canope's, then to my room(() ground floor which was perfect. Plasma tv amazing furniture, spacious, just divine. The bathroom is to die for. look at the photos posted, the balcony had reclyning furniture and a view to die for, (thye only negative with this room was that the bins were collected about 2 am and the noise woke me up)
There a are 6 infinity pools here, one is heated but still very cold. The food was excellent, plenty of choice and a chef cooking to order. The staff were very polite altho a few on reception were quite frosty but the rest of the staff were perfect. We went to the Sunset party which was lovely, plenty of champagne and a harpist whilst watching the sun go down Perfect!!
I didn't want too come home and would love to go back next year altho I do have a 12 and 16 year old a think that they would be bored after a few days, The evening entertainment is in a small ish room called the jazz club but you have to over 16 to go in.
The pools do need warming up even the heated one is very cold.
I stayed in a standard room but we were taken round all room types. I loved the villas which had private jacuzzi's very romantic scattered with petals. Perfect for a honeymoon couple.
The hotel is elevated and a taxi to Duque shopping centre is about 6 euros and to Las Americas it was 12 euros. The hotel run a courtesy bus to the beach.
The staff are dressed so well and all are good looking which is a nice bonus. The hotel is so clean not a thing out of place and it smells gorgeous, one of the manageres Simon is up and down all the time checking everything is in order. This hotel opened on 23rd December and their main market is English altho when we were there the majority were Spanish.
One thing that struck me was how quiet the hotel is, even during meal times so if its rest and relaxation in amazing surroundings then this hotel would be just perfect.
Cannot find a fault with this hotel

A hotel with potential

by TripAdvisor Member Rickylionel

Stayed over the Christmas period. Was offered Cava whilst checking in which was a great touch and promised a lot. This is a new hotel. Beautiful and very well landscaped swimming pool areas, great bedrooms and bathrooms of a high quality, good balconies for watching fabulous sunsets.
There has been fair criticism of the quality of the food and slightly amateurish service. The girls on the reception are all sweet well meaning and very helpful, but lack the staff training that one expects from a good 5 star hotel. Their knowledge of local restaurants is almost zero! The manager of the restaurant needs to pay more attention to food not being replenished quickly enough, and scrambled eggs at breakfast most mornings were a disgrace as they had been left for so long. Room cleaning was very good and attentive. The gourmet restaurant is so unpublized it is almost as if the management wanted to keep it a secret, consequently even though there are only 7 or 8 tables the restaurant looks dead most of the time. We dined there with friends one night and the food was exceptionally good, but with only three tables taken lacking in atmosphere. The bar on the ground floor was never open during the entire week we were there, and consequently there was a lack of a central meeting area for people. The disco was empty and far too loud. Spa looked good although we did not use it. Even though the hotel was probably three quarters full, it seemed empty with a general lack of atmosphere which was a shame.
The hotel has splendid views over the coast with its elevated location, but it does mean a fair hike if you want to go walking etc to the shops or beach and a taxi ride back.
In all, it needs a management that will shake up the hotel and the dining experiences, publicize the activities, open up the ground floor bar and improve the lacklustre menu at the swimming pool which is very below par. Why not have staff offering drinks round the pool was a criticism we heard from quite a few guests.
Having said all that, the hotel is beautiful and very good quality although not really a 'GL' hotel as advertised but a good five star which given time and more management interest could be very good indeed and probably the best bet in Tenerife.

2 star service - not up to scratch

by TripAdvisor Member alidaly

We’d booked in for our two year anniversary for two days (Jan 1 – Jan 3 2007) expecting 5 star service and what we received was nothing of the sort.

We’d arrived on New Years Day. There was no-one to meet us at the hotel entrance, in fact other guest were struggling to load their suitcases into the back of the cars. We turned up at reception and had to wait 10 minutes to check in and another 10 minutes for a buggie to our junior suite room.

The suite was really nice, great view, very modern sleek, impressive. The Jacuzzi was dirty (we had to clean this ourselves). You could maybe give the room 4 stars, five stars if they cleaned the Jacuzzi.

We made our way up to the pool (no heating by the way, too cold to go into, in fact I did not see one adult bar the kids in the pool over the three days). There was no pool attendant and we had to get our own towels and move towels from the beds and remove the coffee cups from the side tables, so we could have space – not great.

We then went to get some lunch, my glass of sprite broke on the table, shattering glass everywhere. The waitress cleaned it up but did not bring me a new drink – they then said they had run out of sprite because it was new year’s day and that I’d have to have another drink. Which I did (my blood starts to boil). We’d ordered burgers which were OK – they were processed and not fresh, again something you kind of do not expect at a 5 star hotel.

That evening we went to the buffet for some food – we waited for 10 minutes to be seated as we did not really have an idea on where to go, what the deal was etc. After the meal which was OK (nothing special) we went to sit outside (again moving the old coffee cups from the tables) and sat down hoping to be served. We waited for 10 minutes in vain before I got up and found someone to take our drink orders.

We’d also been invited to some cocktails in the Jazz Bar – we meandered down to find it shut and another couple waiting outside in the same predicament wondering what to do. We quickly decided to call it a night and escape to the only luxury we could find (our hotel room).

The next day was just as bad. We complained, were offered 15% of our extras bill (c £40), which we declined. While we were waiting to meet the general manager, we decided that we’d have some lunch at the pool area. They were fully booked and told us we had to go inside to the buffet for lunch. I declined and said we wanted to sit up at the veranda above the pool and be served there as there were a number of tables with great views out towards the sea.

The waiter was not keen but caved in after I said we’d be going up. As we sat down the general manager made his way over to us (not knowing we were the couple that had complained) and told us we could not sit here for lunch. We quickly feedback that we were the couple he was waiting to see………..suddenly he kicked into gear, apologized (as he should of) and quickly offered us some free champagne with our lunch. Actually in the end they paid for lunch (which was much appreciated).

The service did not get much better for the day. The Spa was nice but they did not speak English, so trying to book a treatment was challenging. Also trying to get an iron for my shirt was impossible. Day one they did not understand what I wanted (granted I’m in Spain, and do not know the Spanish for Iron) and never received one when I asked (waited for 20 minutes before I called it a day. On day two I went to reception and managed to get an iron with out an ironing board, so I had to iron my shirt on the desk in the room.

We eventually got £350 off our bill. We’d never stay here again. The service was atrocious, not even 2 stars. I will be complaining to the small luxury hotel of the world group that this hotel seems somehow to be part of.

Do not book here it is not 5 stars. I’d stay at the Sheraton or Bahia Del Duque if you’re looking for 5 star service.

I’m a positive person (my wife will tell you) but this brought out all my negativity.

Happy travels all!