Castillo De Antigua & Suites

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Castillo De Antigua & Suites

Excellent Holiday!

by TripAdvisor Member xSunShineOnMex

My family and I stayed at this hotel in August 2005 and we found it brilliant. The atmosphere was friendly, the rooms were alright and the entertainment was amusing, sometimes. Although I do think it's more for the younger guests.
I do agree with some of the other reviews of the hotel, some of the staff were VERY rude and not very helpful at all, it seemed you had to wait about half an hour before you got served. I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat in the restaurant, we found ourselves walking into town everynight where we found and great selection of restaurants. There were Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Portugese, and many others.
We would definately go back to this hotel... and we are! We're going back on the 5th and i expect we'll have an excellent time.

Out of this World

by TripAdvisor Member EJai

this hotel is amazing it comprises of 3 hotels making up 1, but dont be put off by that as they are all very seperate as well.

Also if you get there and you thought you was in 1 and your in another dont be put off as there identical, jsut one is San Jorge, one is Antigua and one is Suites.

The pools are amazing, the views spectacular, even when we were there the animacion team were fab, Sergio and and Mr Shaky Shaly with his water aerobics,

I cant comment on restaurant as i was SC, but the SC facilities were amazing, the rooms were huge, we had bathroom, huge lounge with kitchen and the seperate bedroom. the shops reasonable priced.

I went out of season so it was very very quiet but thats how i wanted it, not sure how the bar staff would of coped with lots of people they werent the most efficient with 20 people in hotel.

The area is lovely, and we found The Flying Scotsman was amazing!!!!!!! Cuddy is the best compare and the people were excellent, again i dont know what these places are like in season as the resort was quiet, but i will totally go back here i LOVED it, the SLOWBOAT 2 restaurant is amazing as well, and take a trip to Jandia, wow the beach is stunning.

The complete lowdown … great resort, though a few caveats

by TripAdvisor Member durhamsunseekers

We stayed in the Castillo San Antigua for one week, half board, in late September 2006. There are three complexes in the resort, and Antigua is the middle building, with the pool that faces the beach (see pictures from Expedia or wherever). It’s not a problem if you are in the other complexes as you can use any one of the pools, all of which are nice (the San Jorge has a swim up bar, for example). We had a great sea view room (see pictures) though note that not all rooms do. I regret that I did not take a picture of how close the San Jorge and Antigua complexes are together and if you get a ‘land view’ room, your balcony could face another, I would say within 15-20 feet of each other (!). I guess it depends on what type of holiday you are after. We planned on spending our evenings overlooking the ocean and sipping on cold beverages (while our baby slept). Many might wish to spend their evenings in the pubs and bars, many of which have tables set up outside facing the sea (at least in the summer months).

The half board option was very good. We felt the food was of a good quality, and there was plenty of variety. We happen to like fish and local Spanish cooking so that it was especially nice that there was usually at least one or two dishes that were authentic. But, for the prevalent English tourists there was everything from chips to fish sticks to roast ham, beef, veal, you name it. The ‘Show Cooking’ was more like ‘cook to order’ (no fancy flame flying), but it was usually very good. They had sirloin steak on a few nights (not quite a top-cut sirloin, but still very tasty and cooked to order). The breakfast likewise was good and the show cooking often had eggs to order and crepes. We enjoyed every one of our meals and tended to fill up on the two meals with snacks at lunch from the local grocer. It was all you could eat, and we always left full. If I have one reservation, it was the puddings/desserts. Nothing to write home about but okay. Also, breakfast included drinks (e.g. fruit juice and coffee), but dinner did not. A large local beer (and most other drinks) was 3 Euros. Not bad, but you can buy a pint of the same beer in the grocery store for about 80 Euro cents (which I often did to save the pennies).

Many of the guests (maybe a third?) seemed to be on the all-inclusive thing. They could drink all they wanted, all day, and eat all they wanted, all day. It ended at 11:00 pm, however, even though the pubs/bars would be open much later. Time to get out the wallet. I sort of envied their ability to get a slush drink from the bar every hour or so, or grab a beer while at the pool at leisure. I’m not sure I would have spent the amount it costs though, so use your judgement. It looked attractive at times, but then I think about the fact that we probably saved a pile of money by using our apartment fridge, stocking it with locally bought stuff. Again, go with what suits you.

Overall the week was great, but with all-inclusive guests you often encounter certain behaviour. There were a few of the staggering types, and I would say that such packages just tend to attract a particular clientele. I hate to judge, but let’s just say that there seemed to be a lot tattoos, stomachs that showed too many adult beverages over the years, and noise at night. It was not unbearable and I would say that everyone was friendly. All I’m saying is it not a five star resort, and when you want to get some sleep at night, the occasional hollering can be annoying. We experienced this because we had to keep our windows open to stay cool. On that note, there is no air-conditioning in any of the rooms (I asked as I thought there was), so keep that in mind. The winter months probably would not pose a problem though.

The pools had limited hours (9am–7pm). I often thought a 9 pm dip would have been nice. The staff were professional, helpful, and friendly. They often came to say hello to our baby (she is cute) and accommodated a number of our requests. The one bedroom apartment we had was plenty big and the balcony was the same. I’ve been told all three complexes are similar in that regard. The kitchen was truly a kitchenette … basic (no oven, only a basic two hob stove, but did have a microwave). The hotel overall felt like a good 3 star. It had nice finishes, like wood doors and windows, and maintains a Spanish feel--not a stiff modern feel at all. It shows some sign of age, yet nothing terrible (for instance, our bathtub needed a good re-caulking as it was beginning to mould). It was okay, but I always think a few improvements would go a long way. Maybe others wouldn’t notice. It definitely was not a four star, but I kept thinking that a few improvements might have brought it close (well, maybe not). The furnishings, for example, were too basic (laminated, i.e. thin veneered, oak).

We did happen to witness a bit of a theft, but, well, this sort of thing can happen anywhere and we probably just happened to encounter it by fluke. A young guy was hanging around the back of a sun deck which I could view from our patio. Many people lay asleep on their sun chairs and he would walk slowly to check if they were awake. He didn’t realize I was watching when he started to look through a sleeping ladies handbag. I yelled at him and he quickly scurried away. We called security but they did nothing. I guess it’s simply a warning to be vigilant. There are a pile of shops (from surf-wear to internet cafes) located in the complex so they leave access open to the public. So, the upside is great shops and amenities. The downside is the open door policy, at least during the hours of business (i.e. during the day).

I recommend the resort for the price, that is, if you get a good deal. The food was good, and it was nice not to have to worry about cooking, or restaurants. If you go half board, you could always get a meal out for lunch if you still wanted. We would like to return as the location is great. Keep in mind that the local beaches are manmade, and the local one is in need of some more sand (it was still nice). There is another about a 3/4 mile away which was great, and really good for swimming. We went there a lot.

So, if you want four-star, go elsewhere. If you want a good holiday for the money, I think the resort delivers.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member karenghirl

We stayed at The San Jorge Hotel in this complex and found it to be a fabulous establishment. Our 2 bed apartment was huge, spotless and cleaned 5 times during the week. Although the complex is large, it doesn't have that crowded feeling. The pools were kept clean and because there were several pools, it never felt overcrowded. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. The complex is only a 5-10 minute walk to the very centre of the resort, so close enough for comfort but it was very peaceful at night. If we ever return to Caleta de Fuste ( and I hope to one day)we will definately book here again.

Lovely November Break

by TripAdvisor Member kazhez

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely relaxing winter break staying at the San Jorge.

We booked a flight with Thomas Cook and and found a great price for the hotel on a hotel website (cheaper than a package deal!). The taxi from the airport to caleta de fustes was less than 10 euros each way.

We stayed self catering and were delighted to find that our apartment was spacious and spotlessly clean. It had lounge/kitchen areas and a seperate bedroom. Best self catering app I've stayed in. It also had a TV (no coins required) which showed a couple of English speaking channels (Fox and Eurosport).

The pool area at the San Jorge was great. Plenty beds for everyone (although the hotel was nowhere near full). Pool tables and air hockey were available for about 2 euros a go. Temperature was good for sun bathing, not too hot with a gentle wind keep us cool.
The huge sandy beach is located 5 min walk from the hotel so don't panic when you see the black rock beach that the hotel is next to.

The only downside of the hotel was a few noise problems. Our balcony/windows were at the front of the hotel (facing the street) and building work across the street woke us up early in the morning. Also the maids push around carts filled with towels etc and these make a racket. None of this spoiled our holiday though.

Recommendations - The Spa next to the Barcelo tennis courts is well worth a visit. We paid a flat rate to enjoy all the pools/sauna etc.
Go to the Indian restaurant round the corner. Great service and amazing food. That was our best meal there.

Avoid - Tony Romas, we got terrible service. Worst meal there.

Comments