Avenida Generalisimo 165, Las Caletillas, 38520, Spain

Satisfaction Average

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• WStat's Profile Photo

Is, looks and feels like an 39year old hotel

The rather big hotel with its more than 470 rooms- buildt in 1970 - does not even try to get close to its spanish 4-star category. In fact, it is an average 2-3star. Small, but clean rooms, mini-balconies, minor to none additional amenities. Food self-service style, not bad but also nothing special. A small outside-pool with restricted space and a somewhat better seawater-pool by the sea are the hotels bonuses.
    The small garden area is cut in half by the coastal road, which causes some noise during the night.

Unique Quality: Children-friendly hotel for cost-conscious people and families in a not very attractive surrounding

Directions: 14 kms south of Sta Cruz in the village of Las Caletillas

More about Catalonia Punta Del Rey

Good bargain holiday

I had read the reviews before going to this hotel for Christmas 2005. They were quite a mixed bag so I was not really sure what to expect. However, for the price I paid for an all inclusive package over 7 days, I left feeling very satisfied with the holiday.

In my experience, the food was perfectly adequate and reasonably varied. Some complained about some food being cold but there were many dishes being offered which were meant to be cold - a common Spanish custom.

Some complained about the service and of English not being understood, but I did not find this. Nearly all staff which I encountered could speak English fairly well and appreciated my attempt to speak some Spanish. Granted, they were not the cheeriest staff I have ever encountered but I think the fact that they seem to work very long hours goes some way to explain this. They certainly pulled out all the stops for the Christmas night meal, with wine being poured as though there was no tomorrow!

The entertainment was of quite a good standard in my experience, apart from the inane prize giving sessions for feats carried out through the days earlier entertainment, that seem to accompany so many holidays now. Ironically, I think they do this to cater for the British taste! Granted, the main entertainment did not usually start until around 10 pm, but the shows I saw were actually quite enjoyable. There were plenty of areas in the hotel for kids to be entertained, until the shows started.

There was some queueing for drinks, which got worse as the night went on, but you find this in nearly all hotels which are heavily biased toward all inclusive holidays - I would say the majority of people there during my stay were all inclusive.

I would also add that the hotel does not cater for any particular nationality, and certainly not just the Spanish. When I was there I would say it was a fairly even split between German, French and British - and mostly middle aged, or a tad younger, with not that many children. However, there certainly were some families there with quite young children. Also quite a few of the '18-30' group - mostly British.

There is nothing much to do or see in the surrounding area of Caletillas. The hotel has made a reasonable job of building a seaside oasis in what is really quite a barren landscape - so true of all the Island though. A car rental is a must, if you are not content just to chill out by the hotel pools and eat and drink yourself into oblivion. I had a car for the whole duration, which is very cost effective if you have not arranged transfers from the airport in the south -taxi fares to the hotel and back would not be much less than a weeks rental! Caletillas is well placed for visiting all parts of the Island - Puerto de la Cruz is only 30 minutes away, and Los Christianos is 40 minutes away.

I found the hotel room quite acceptable and well serviced. The bathroom was completely covered in marble tiles. The 4 star rating is perhaps debateable, and the location is not the prettiest nor the most interesting, but if you are looking for a reasonably good hotel then this one takes some beating for value for money. A typical day for me was to spend the mornings and early afternoons around the hotel, and then to go the south to Los Crisianos or Costa Adeje, or to go north to Peurto de la Cruz where the weather is usually quite good late afternoon and evening.

A holiday is what you make it. If you are looking for luxurious surroundings, with excellent service and entertainment morning to midnight, then you have to pay for it! I won't tell you what I paid for Punta Del Rey - you probably would not believe me!

Good luck!

Nice weeks holiday

by TripAdvisor Member tartann5

After reading the reviews i was not really looking forward to this hotel, but when we got there in the middle of the night we were warmly greated from staff.
The rooms were very clean and the staff very friendly.
The food was very nice they had lots of fish dishes but always plenty meat dishes available steak, port chops chicken turkey, pastas and pizza etc plenty of choice and always had a nice bottle of wine with it.
I felt it was very good value for the money.
There was plenty on site to do and a beautiful lagoon to swim and dive into the sea. Our children did not stop the whole week they had a ball.
With the capital city santa cruz only 20 minutes away it is a lovely old town to visit with nice shopping. Dont listen to the bad reviews see for yourslef and i am sure you will enjoy it. It was very good value for the money we paid.

Ok Hotel, wouldn't go back

I visited the hotel at the end of October for 4 nights with my sister and my 2 year old niece.

The hotel was very clean, but i wouldnt say it was a four star.

If you have a small child i don't think there is much for them to do and there is not a beach nearby, we went in a taxi to the nearest beach and it cost us 44 euros in total to get there and back.

The staff seemed friendly but did not know a bit of english at all so were not very useful. This worried me incase there was an emergency. The food was ok, there were more of a choice at night than at dinner. I wouldn't have been able to stop longer than we did.

The entertainment was late starting and i think this hotel caters more for the spanish than english.

Overall ok for a few days, i wouldn't go again. I had my £300 digital camera pinched on the last night which was a bit upsetting and i didn't get no help from reception, i ended up reporting it to the police myself at the airport.

I think i knew who took the camera but i've no proof. All i can say is watch your belongings carefully if your planning on going.

nice hotel but very bad food

the staff is very helpfull but the food was very horrible. every day the same [-]. the location is very good if you have a rental car. santa cruz is about 10km. in the little town las galetillas is nothing too doo or noting too see. we where very lucky because we where there when the tropical storm delta was passed. the damage was huge. windows and pool are destoyed. they say on sites on the web that the pool is warmed but its much colder than the sea. about 12grades celcius. near the hotel is an industrial zone. you can find a better place too stay for the same money. and thats the true. sent me a mail for more information. sorry for my bad english but thats because i am flemisch. greetz. pieterjan

an absolute disgrace and waste of money

me my girlfriend + son stayed there for the new year we was told it was 4* superior and there is no chance of that maybe in the 70s when it was built but certainly not now the food is awful and badly served and in no way of 4* standard.the drink they serve whilst wristbands are in affect (all inc.)is of the cheapest variety not one named brand ie smirnoff,baileys ect. The service at the bar (whilst waiting for the cheap plonk that youve payed for up front)is so stressful you need a holiday from this holiday, entertainment poor, maintanence of hotel v. poor, rooms poor, i could go on all night but i think this should deter you enough, this hotel is one to avoid at all cost cos it will cost you other wise. ##### OVERALL RATING #####

VERY POOR

YOURS TRULY DARREN AND FAMILY

AVOID

Nice Hotel but not a 4 star superior. Possibly 3 star.

My Mother, partner & myself stayed here over Christmas 05 for a week. It wasn't a 4 star superior as advertised, but not many european hotels are. Its located in between central places on the island and getting a bus is easy. We hired a car for 3 days as its so cheap & you can see the whole island in a day. The rooms are clean and comfortable with bed linen changed every other day and towels changed every day. The food was varied, fresh and semi hot & the staff friendly. The all inclusive drinks are local brands, but not that different from branded goods. & you can drink as much as you like. The location is quiet but has things for all the family. Its not as bad as people make out, i was dreading it after reading the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Its mainly occupied by Spanish & German guests, but its nice to get away from the typically english hotels. The East of the island is lush green but gets cloudy from the mountains about 2pm, the south is always hot & sunny & worth a visit for a day as the beaches are lovely. We enjoyed the whole holiday, but it won't suit everyone. I've got some pictures so e-mail me if you want me to send them to you.

Good value

We stayed here at the end of Jan 06. Had mum and Dad with us. Food was varied and very good although a little cool but that could have been due to the bad weather they were experiencing.
Rooms were good although we were on the 1st floor and until the entertainment finished it was a bit noisy.
The staff were friendly and as helpful as possible although it should be noted that this is a spanish hotel chain and therefore the main residents are spanish.
We met one couple from Cornwall who were staying for 2 months!!
The area is very quiet and the taxi cost 55 euro's each way so if you're up to it a car from the airport is much better value.
We flew with BA from Manchester and couldn't have had a better flight.
All in all a good holiday.

only lasted 2hours!!! awful

definitely would not recommend this hotel, its cheap for a reason! we arrived an hour before we could check in, as soon as we had a look round whilst waiting we realised what a disgrace it was.The pools were filthy and the hotel is in serious need of repair and lick of paint! The staff at reception were rude and unhelpful.Luckily we managed to get a transfer. My advice is pick another hotel.

A rather boring place !

by WStat

"Just on the way from Sta Cruz to Las Americas"

Compared to the southernmost and northeastern places, the hotel-areas of Las Caletillas and Candelaria are partly artificially constructed conglomerates from the early 70ies, when the rather short distance to Sta Cruz and to the old northern airport was an issue. Candelaria has a nice Basilika and sea-promenade, but if you have the choice, choose rather one of the other places , mentioned above for a longer stay !

Comments