Riu Oliva Beach

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Riu Oliva Beach

Hotel Riu Oliva Beach

by peter-timmin about Hotel Riu Oliva Beach

Euro 60 per night The staff are fantastic, the entertainment second to none, the food is excellent, and the location is perfect.

Riu Oliva Beach is OK, nothing more...

by TripAdvisor Member comuk

I and my wife have just come back from Riu Oliva Beach. We are 28 and 25 always stay in All Inclusive resorts and love beach and sun. Before you read, I should say that I am comparing this hotel with the other Riu's I have stayed in Caribbean and the All Inclusives in Turkey. If they deserve 4.5 stars, this hotel cannot be more then 2. The official rating is 3+.

Resort: Correlejo is a small town with a wide range of shops, which are open from 8 am to 10 pm but closed between 1pm and 5pm for siesta. There are a lot of Chinese shops and restaurants owned by Chinese people. There are also bars suited for British that show sport etc. I loved the town and would have stayed here if I knew the food is that bad in RIU.

Hotel: I always loved RIU for staff friendliness, cleanliness of the hotel, AI food and drinks, great locations and value for money. This wasn't an exception apart from food and location. The animation team was OK. Do not miss the spanish dance show though.

Rooms: We stayed in the main building. The room was good size for 2 of us but might be small for people with children. There is AC and a ceiling fan. All TV channels are german except CNN and Eurosport. The décor and quality of the interior is not more than 3 star. There is a central music broadcast with 4 channels, but only 1 is working. The songs played are very old and boring. On the good side, there is a safe and no charge for it. The balcony is good size and you have a table and chairs. The shower is fine.

Food: The food is same every night, basically grilled fish, steak, potatoes, vegetables, same salad bar. You get bored after second night. I have expected a much wider choice especially fish, at a location next to the ocean. The steak cuts are very low quality. The theme restaurants are Chinese and Canarian but Canarian is again grill, which is not different than the main restaurant. Although these are themed restaurants, they are also buffet style, well only difference being a menu! Chinese restaurant is better and we ate there twice. Still not to the standard we were expecting. I would have preferred if we stayed in this hotel SC basis if possible and ate in town every night. The breakfast and lunch are the same story.

Beach: The beach is fantastic. The golden sand is great but Correlejo is windy. You definitely need to hire a parasol and sunbed otherwise sand gets everywhere. All beaches are owned by the government in Fuerte. The parasols and sunbeds are very expensive to hire, we paid 9 Euro every day for 7 days just to hire a parasol and 2 sunbeds (3 Euro each). The cheaper option is to buy a parasol for 10 euros from town and lie on the towels. It is Ok to charge for the parasol and sunbed but I think it is too expensive. The sea is not calm at all but good fun. There is a naturist section of the beach 10 mins walking distance if you are into sort of thing.

Excursions: Since we were there only for a week, we decided to participate 2 excursions on offer. We have chosen the Catamaran trip by Catalanza and the trip to Oasis Natural Park. For the catamaran trip, we were told to be in the reception by 15:40. We were there but the girl from catalanza was waiting in the bus not at the reception. Anyway, we missed the departure and went the next day. So don’t wait in the reception, go to the front of the hotel and wait for the bus. For 65 euro per person, you sail to Lanzarote in a catamaran with 50 – 60 people. You can get seasick very easily coz it is not the calmest part of the ocean. In addition, it gets quite wet and cold due to wind. The catamaran stops in a bay and you get food. This time it is worse than RIU, pasta and sauce. Well, you can ask me what I expected. This is not Italy, I am not expecting to eat pasta on a catamaran in Canary Islands. I expected to eat fish in any form. In smaller boats in Turkey, the captain does a BBQ for you and cooks fresh caught fish in front of you. Can you beat that? This is all for half the price. The sea temp there was about 19 degrees. It is about 6 meters and you can see a lot of fish around you when you feed them with the pasta you haven’t eaten. All in all, it is not worth for the money and time but you can try if you really want to do a catamaran trip. They take a picture of you when you enter the boat and sell it for 7 Euros!
The Oasis park trip is fantastic. I can’t recommend it enough. It is very well organised and everything is great. It will take pages to tell the whole trip. For 42 Euros per person, you have a great day out for a full day, which starts with a parrot show, then a camel ride to a hill up and back, sea lion show, crocodile show, and finally birds of prey show. You get a lunch, which is fantastic. The pictures taken are sold for 3 euros, and they also film the entire camel ride. The DVD with the camel ride and all other shows is sold for 15Euros. Well worth the money!

All in all, it was a good holiday but I won’t go back. For the same money, go to Turkey, you will swim in a warmer see, have a better suntan and sample one of the best cuisines in the world. There were no pictures of the hotel and the beach so I uploaded some fyi.

Relaxing Family Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member ANDIES

I returned home yesterday from the Riu Oliva Beach and just thought I would give other users my opinion. I travelled with a friend (we are both 36) and my daughter (10) and her son (9). We requested seperate but adjoining rooms in the main tower block - we were in rooms 737 and 738 and the views of the dunes and the sea from the balcony were amazing. The rooms were nicely laid out and and clean. Having checked out the bungalow rooms I would recommend requesting the main tower block as they seemed nicer. Our children did not want to go to the kids club so I cannot comment on that - there seemed to be predominantly German children and our two felt a bit out of place. We went to the beach every day which I must say is fantastic! I would highly recommend getting a beach shelter - we put it up at about 11 o clock which meant that we could stay on the beach with no fear of burning until about 3pm when we went back to the pool for a couple of hours. We never had any problems getting sunbeds at that time. The sea is lovely for older children and we felt quite happy letting ours jump in the waves and take out inflatables although you would not be able to let younger children in alone as the waves can be quite strong. I would say that the only thing that lets the hotel down is the main buffet restaurant. It lacks atmosphere and gets very busy at peak times. We got fed up of it after a couple of days and booked into the Canarian Restaurant for two nights where you have your meal on the terrace and it is much nicer. I would also highly recommend going into Corralejo town one night to Waikiki restaurant (the taxi driver will know where it is) - I have been to Corralejo 4 times with my husband in previous years and he won't eat any where else! Try the grilled prawns - they are like lobsters! All in all I would say that the hotel was good for a family holiday but personally I would not chose this if I was going with my husband and found it a bit 'Butlins' which he would hate. I hope this helps.

Great Riu hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Anniepops

We had a fantastic 2 weeks at the Riu Olivia Beach hotel, great location right on fantastic beach & sand dunes. Excellent food, good choice and plentiful. Staff were attentive and cheerful, and everything was very clean and well run. There were 2 nice pools (with towel service), mainly a destination for Germans and Spanish (although the sunbed shuffle wasn't too bad!!), only a small number of English but that was no bad thing.
Only downfalls were sometimes there was a sewage pong in certain areas of the hotel grounds (usually when they were watering the plants!!) and the only English speaking channel on Sky was CNN not good when you're after the cricket results!
Car hire was cheap also petrol and roads very good, glad we booked on the internet before we went (Holidayautos), as availability in resort was poor in August. Beaches at Jandia also very beautiful and there is always a lovely breeze.

Quality, Second To None

My family and I (two teenage children) have just returned from The RIU Olivia Beach on 10 Aug 05 and I have to say that this is the best hotel that I have stayed in in many years of oversea holidays (including Florida). The quality of food in the restaurant was fantastic and the restaurant staff polite and helpful at all times. Staying in the annex section of the hotel, I did not experience any of the problems with the predominantly German guests mentioned in other reviews and indeed found all fellow guests friendly.
I found that, in coming across any of the hotel staff whether reception, restaurant or just the gardeners all would wish us a good morning/afternoon.
Take the opportunity to have a go at Scuba diving, as we did, with Abyss Divers in the town, owned by Wesley of Southern Irish extraction. An absolutely fabulous experience made all the better by an excellent instructor.
If you wish a relaxing, feet up holiday then this is the place to be. Makeit a fantastic holiday by staying at the Olivia Beach. I'll be back.

Great place for R & R

by TripAdvisor Member milklady

Me and my husband, both in our early thirties have just returned from a weeks holiday staying at the Hotel Oliva Beach. This was our first time to the island and although we never went anywhere this time, we would love to go back and explore the island.

The hotel is the perfect place for rest and relaxation, the location is right on the beautiful sandy beach and having been to Cuba you would be hard pushed to tell the difference in the beaches.

The hotel itself is well laid out, the rooms are spacious and the staff are really friendly. We both said on a number of occasions how clean everywhere was, and how good the staff were. The food was excellent for a week, although if I was staying for two weeks I think you would get a bit bored with the choice. I am glad I read the previous reviews as I don't think we would have discovered the Chinese restaurant and that was our little haven.

This hotel and location was perfect for us as we needed a relaxing week doing nothing but de-stressing. If you are more off an energetic type then I would not recommend this hotel, also you would need to hire a car to see anything as the hotel is well out of the way - ah lovely.

wow

by TripAdvisor Member girl88

well what can i say i loved this hotel im 17 years old and went with my best mate, we had a fabulous time and enjoyed it to the full the pools are lovely and the beach is soooo close. the night time entertainment was excellent (does anybody know the rep bart, wasnt he great with the kids) and i have absolutley no complaints with the hotel what so ever.
nice food,nice drinks,nice staff,nice rooms lol everything was so nice.
i recommend it to everyone and i will certainly be going back very soon
sadie xx

Fantastic Family Fun

by TripAdvisor Member kenyonBinns

I returned on the same dates as the previous reviewer and while agreeing with a great deal would like to add some further info.
Kids Clubs: - There are two; one run by TUI which is mainly German and one run by the hotel and is international. My five year old attended both and liked the international club best. Both were excellent however and my little girl enjoyed all the activities and being part of a show.
Adult fun: I was the only Brit to join in the daytime games and found the Germans, Dutch etc, and hotel staff brilliant and supportive - advise getting involved and doing something a little different - you may win a couple of certificates as well.
Accomodation: - Hotel rooms far better than annex, but annex were clean functional and very close to lagoon pool and kids clubs. If with familiy suggest getting Annex.
Food - Excellent but as with previous review can get boring even with multiple good choices a night. All incl aspect was a massive hit with kids who started to gain a little independence.
Pools - towels supplied and changed daily, good pools but with a definite lack of any lifeguards !!
Beach - Fantastic - People come here for the best on the Island. Where else can you have a camel ride from your front door into the dunes?

Staff - Do not believe other reviews that say the staff are good - They're even better. They were the most friendly and accomodating I have come across - Made the holiday

Overall - The most relaxed I've been in years

distinctly average 3 star at best!

by TripAdvisor Member fussymadam

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in mid september. We have been to the Island before (Jandia) and loved it. I read the reviews of this hotel and it sounded great!, we stayed in a Riu hotel in Cancun last year and that hotel was fanatastic so decided to stick with the same hotel chain. How I wish we hadn't!.
When we arrived (after lugging our own suitcases up the steps) we were dispatched to the restaurant for lunch whilst our rooms were arranged.
However, they then allocated us our room, which was in the annexe. I had paid an extra supplement for a sea view (and our room overlooked other rooms and a path) We were then alloacted a second room. This did indeed have a sea view (just) but was so tiny and had a large pillar in the middle of it. It had a bathroom the size of a small cupbord with no bath and a very small shower. The bed (it was a double) was smaller than a standard double bed and frankly was a bit basic. By this time we were shattered as had been up since 3am, so we went to sleep and agreed to speak to them in the morning. However I was on the verge of tears, as we had not spent over 2k for this standard of hotel!.
Next morning (after a night of being kept awake by rattling pipes) we went to reception who very nicely agreed to give us another room. It was ever so slightly bigger, it had a bath and a wonderful view (still a large pillar and tiny bed but hey!) frankly I did not care anymore and wanted to go home!.
Finally after nearly 24 hours and 2 other rooms I unpacked.
I must state that throughout the holiday, the staff at reception were brilliant, very kind and friendly, we even had a bottle of bubbly and 2 glasses left in our room the next day, apologising that we had been unhappy - a nice touch.
The 2 weeks passed OK (other than a brief shared bout of sickness!) the beach is beautiful, the food fairly good (try the chinese its great!), the hotel is clean, but the refurb is basically a few new carpets and some paint. The choice of drinks is very limited. Our advice in the evening head to Corralejo and escape the worst hotel entertainment known to man (everything is tailored to the germans here), near the harbour there are some great reasonably priced restaurants.I have to say my biggest issue (other than the tiny beds) was the sewage smell , its terrible especially up near the area near the top sun deck and shop.
Overall the staff were great, the position of the hotel lovely but it is not in any way a classy hotel. We did find out later in the holiday that all the double rooms are very small as they are at the end of the hotels, ask for a twin if you want a better room. Personally if I visit Fuerte again, I 'll go back to Jandia as the beaches are just as good , quieter and the Fuerte Princess a much better option.

Excellent high Standard Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DerickCullen

My wife and 8 year old daughter just got back from this hotel and have to say the resort is a very high standard. The staff were excellent as well as the food and cleanliness,
The Chinese is the best restaurant but the others were varied and very good.
We found the main pool better than the resort pool as was warmer and near the beach which is as good as it gets.
Yes it was 70% Germans but they like a high standard and so do we.
The night time entertainment was ok but for £3 you can get a cab into town and check out the bars.

Comments