Urbanizacion La Jaquita Guia de Isora, Guia de Isora, 38686, Spain
Hotels.com Melia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 53% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Gran Melia Palacio de Isora

"What a huge disappointment & waste of money"

by TripAdvisor Member jacsy911

The hype was all fantastic,we had even watched this Grand hotel being built on our many visits to Los Gigantes-what a huge disappointment this place is.The staff are so unhelpful & are obviously told not too smile(especially in the restaurants). We had the mis-fortune of eating in the over hyped Asia restaurant-if the sour faced waiters didn't put you off your meal then I can guarantee that the food it's self would-it was truly disgusting on a massive scale,the chicken satay starter was almost dangerously under cooked,& the main course was even worse - if that wasn't bad enough there where NO apologies from staff or management merely the offer of the desert menu - we didn't pay for the food in the end,but then why should we-we hadn't eaten it & proberly saved ourselves from food poisoning or worse.
Yes the grounds are fabulous,the pool is enormous,the fountains are breathtaking - but - this place is possibly the worst hotel I have stayed in & 5* oh boy it's along way from being that!!!

Poncy and pretentious but service is rubbish

by TripAdvisor Member flower44

Very stylish hotel, fantastic pool and beautifully landscaped garden throughout, grand designed interior, very well appointed rooms with cute balcony. We booked a double room which consisted of 2 singles put together . The bathroom is fantastic, big bath for 2, separate shower room and separate toilet. The water controller seemed to be playing up as most of the time the water got scolding hot and even turning it to the coldest level did not cool the water. This can be annoying when your hair and body is covered in soap but both the shower and the bath outputs only burning hot water. Anyway, the hotel itself is defo 5 star standards, however the service and the food completely lets it down. It is marketed as an international hotel however over half of the staff doesn't speak a word of English, so unless you can speak Spanish you are in for a long communication battle both at reception and at the restaurants.

Food: There are 4 restaurants available we tried 2, Oasis pool grill and Club Ocean I have to say both were totally disappointing. Both venues are crying out for international standard culinary skills. The menus are very limited in choice and the quality of food is below good standard, the service is non existent. When we lunched at the Oasis pool grill once we sat down were asked what we wanted to drink. I asked for a drink menu I was told that there isn't one and just say what we want to drink and they will bring it to us. By the way this is marketed as an A la Carte restaurant! We ordered bottled beer that came with large wine glasses. The menu here is very poor, very little selection which consists of all dishes with meat. I am not a vegetarian but in a hot temperature eating meat 3 times a day can get a bit much! I ordered king prawn and vegetables tortilla wrap, I got prawns with a few lettuce leaves wrapped in a burnt tortilla wrap. When I tried to question the whereabouts of my vegetables 4 different staff came up to our table and none of them could speak any English. Eventually someone arrived who told me that the vegetables are wrapped inside my tortilla. I unwrapped my tortilla and showed him the lettuce leaves and 1 single sweetcorn. He picked my place up and took it away. Eventually another set of wraps were put in front of me by a non English speaker waiter, it contained completely overcooked, mashy style vegetables but the whole thing was so oily that the olive oil was dripping out at the other end as I attempted to eat it. No apologies, no attentiveness, no manners. This is the only place available for eating during the day in the hotel, apart from the prices you’d be hard to find anything that’s reflects it’s 5 star A la carte marketing. People with young kids will be hard pushed to find anything suitable to feed them with here!

The Club Ocean’s menu is limited in choice, the starter and the main course came with exactly the same set of complement presentation. I do not understand why there is such lack of food standard for paying customers.

Ordered room service asked for steak well done it came burnt in the outside and totally bloody inside. My husband’s baked chicken was totally pink inside it was rank.
On a positive note the breakfast is very well presented with a wide choice of delicious food to choose from so full star for the food here. Service is again on a weaker side, very short staffed, long queues for eggs as only 1 person is on duty. If you are a tea drinker you need to take your own teabags as half of the time no black tea available and the water for the tea is only luke warm.

Internet access: the hotel advertised with high speed internet access in rooms available on wireless. This is not the case, wireless is only available in the lobby, you can plug in to the wall socket in the room but the connection is painfully slow. The wireless in the lobby is the same, you can just about can check a web based email after a long wait but the connection speed is not suitable for browsing the internet.

There was a mini bar charge added to our bill for snacks and soft drinks that we didn’t have. When I mentioned this to reception they asked if I was sure and said that I need to sign a declaration form that I didn’t consume these items in order to be removed from my bill and was presented with a piece of paper all in Spanish that I needed to sign. I found this totally outrageous, they make a mistake by adding things to our bill we did not have then I have to sign a form, in a language I do not understand, in order to be removed from my bill! No apologies for their mistake, I was only left feeling that they don’t believe me. A budget hotel treats their customers better!

The little local shops close at midday on Saturday till Monday so during this time guests are totally reliant on the hotel for drinking water. In the mini bar this cost 5 EUR/ 50cl bottle. One would have thought that a 200EUR+/night hotel could afford to stretch itself and provide complementary water but this is not the case! They do provide 1 piece of chocolate so I guess it’s good entertainment to toss a coin of who has the 1 biteful of complementary chocolate. The room has a table with a great big empty fruit bowl. The point I am making that the little touches of a 5 star hotel are missing!

Seems like they hired the best interior designers to create this place but run out of money for everything else to complement their poncy image they trying to live up to. The service is a complete joke; the food is actually disgusting, therefore with it’s current offering not recommended.

Attractive Hotel - Average Food

by TripAdvisor Member Reviewer2

We have always stayed at the nearby Abama when at Tenerife and fancied a change. However next holiday is definately going to be back at the Abama.

Firstly the grounds are attractive but a bit pretentious and the grass around the pool is just messy. We stayed in the club rooms which was much more pleasant as there was a seperate pool area and it was quieter and a lot more tranquil. However they have music speakers placed beside all the sunloungers which constantly plays pan pipe music that after a couple of hours was really irritating. There is an off switch that I availed of but the waiting staff very kindly kept turning back on when they thought I wasn't looking! There is also the option to have table service breakfast in this area which was also enjoyable.

The jets in the pool which had attracted me to here were not working in any of the pools which was very disappointing.

Food we tried most of the restaurants and found only the buffet to be any use but it was so large it really didn't make for romatic relaxing dinners. Both of us had extremely bad food poisoning after eating in the Michelin restaurant. I agree with everyone else the lunch restaurant is completely rubbish. We ended up getting taxis back to the Abama for two nights for meals and I really didn't want to leave.

Rooms are ok if a bit on the small side and they have clarins toiletries in the bathroom which was enjoyable.

We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

On balance I will be relieved to return to the Abama for my next holiday and really wish I hadn't tried the Palacio.

luxury

by TripAdvisor Member sunshinelover84

went for a long weekend with my family to celebrate my grandpa's 75th. the resort is wonderful; spacious, bright, stunning furniture and features. Very modern and contemporary. Lots of pools and bars. Rooms are gorgeous with lovely clairns products! Cleaned daily to high standard. Flat screen tv but not much in the way of british channels. very good air con system. buffet breakfast was great with everything you can imagine; fruit, cereal, pastries, sausages, eggs, toast, cold meats, cheese, roasted veg, yoghurts, nuts, smoked salmon, tea, coffee etc etc even champagne!

on site the drinks and food are expensive. and the food isnt up to same standard as the hotel itself! drink service can also be slow at times! funnily enough i read on this very site a man ordered a salad with a missing boiled egg - and the very same thing happened to my step father!

we tended to spend the day in the resort and venture out in the evening for dinner. Found a great restaurant called 'tonys' , which is approx 5 mins from the hotel(just on the main street). Great for fish and meat lovers alike. service and food was top notch.

Can not understand the bad reviews

by TripAdvisor Member JayAberdeenshire

We originally booked to stay at this Hotel for 9 nights but after reading some pretty bad reviews we changed our booking to 3 nights - What a mistake! The Hotel is beautifully designed, has ample sunbathing areas including extremely comfortable sun beds, hammocks and large outside beds with roofs and screens. The staff were extremely helpful and most of them spoke enough English to get by whilst others were fluent.
We were on holiday with our 2 girls, aged 9 and 12 and they both throughly enjoyed the Hotel. They had several pools to choose from as well as table tennis and other activities they could get from the Poolside towel hut.
We all enjoyed the breakfast where the choice was vast and the quality of food excellent. We did try and eat at The Ocean Bar one night but after looking at the menu decided that it did not really cater for the kids. There is however plenty for them to choose from at the buffet restuarant. We only eat at the Hotel one evening but this was nothing to do with the food on offer it was just that we fancied eating in Alcala one night and Los Gigantes the other.
The rooms are really nice and the Clarin products in the bathrooms and the bath robes add a touch of class.
The interior design of the reception, bars and central courtyard is special and althogh we are looking to buy property in Tenerife we will definitely be returning.

Friendliest Service We've Encountered

by TripAdvisor Member ThenHePackedAndLeft

This review is based on a eight night stay at the RED LEVEL-
section of the hotel.
The whole resort is fantastic, but the secluded RED LEVEL-
part of it, is a dream.
From the moment you enter the private RED LEVEL lobby, to the
moment you leave, they treat you like royalty.
The resort is breathtakingly beautiful indoors and outdoors.
The rooms are gorgeous: beautiful ceiling cupola covered with gold and high class furniture. Large terraces with a private jacuzzi
and stunning view towards the island of Gomera.
All in all, just what you would expect from a top five star hotel,
plus a little bit more.
The quality makes it very good value for money.
The staff seemed very happy and were always smiling.
The level of service surely lives up to the standards of the best
asian luxury resorts.
Thank You everybody working at this fantastic hotel!
You made my holiday. Can't wait to get back.

Will only get better & better

by TripAdvisor Member ItchyBigFoot

Well after studiously analyzing all the reviews available on
Palacio di Isora and knowing that some were good, some bad, some very good & some indifferent we decided to test the water with this brand new hotel. Arriving just short of 3 months after it opened we were pleasantly greeted by the porters & taken to reception where we advised them that we were Mas card holders which is a loyalty scheme membership for SolMelia. I politely requested a room upgrade (I had also requested this by email & through the central reservations call centre but received no confirmation & no email) as we have shown quite a lot of loyalty to the Melia brand. After a bit of reluctant posturing by the receptionist we were upgraded from a garden view to a sea view, which is exactly the same room except for the view.
I have to say the rooms are lovely, well appointed, comfortable & with a great bathroom, huge bath for 2, monsoon shower, twin sinks. The walk through the lobby, main Piazza Atlantico, Ocean bar grill, & the chill out terrace ia breathtaking, phenomenal design & layout. The gym is the best gym I have ever seen in any hotel & I've stayed in quite a few 5 stars. I fully take the point of some of the reviewers that not enough staff spoke English fluently & I think this will improve over time when they start to identify their markets more carefully. I found 95% of the staff to be very friendly & as efficient as they could be. The Oasis Pool bar seemed to suffer from the worst service, and one of the waitresses seemed to have a permanent frown every day. Guys in the towel hut were very friendly, Italian waiter in Ocean Bar Grill very efficient & great attitude, And a special mention for Danel the barman in Lava (I think he's also in the Ocean Bar) what a gent.
Lovely chilled out music piped around by the pool areas by non intrusive Bose speakers and boy is that a big pool! Advise getting down to pool no later than 8.00 am if you want to be guaranteed a Balinese bed, just put a shirt and magazine to mark your bed, towel hut opens @ 9. Other Balinese beds on terrace above Gym & spa you can still probably get a bed up until 9am, but there seems to be a little problem with drains/smell.
Now I come to the food. Breakfast - amazing, great choice & variety & serve until 11/11.30am so you could have a late big breakfast & skip lunch which is only the afforementioned Oasis, some choices are good, Burger, Sirlion Strip Bolognaise & Asian style chicken noodle, but pricey, no kids menu. We did not try the Buffet dinner but instead tried the 3 a la carte restaurant. Nami Asian rest was good, good choice tasty enough, not huge portions which we enjoy anyway. Ocean Bar & Grill we ate in 3 times, first night fantastic meal, nice amuse bouche, we had Monkfish, and Duck in wanton both very good, tried them on our last night and not so good, head chef had gone home early I think!! Second night there was good. We were offered comlimentary Cava on our 2nd & 3rd nights in this restaurant, well we left a good tip the first night. Dani Garcia's Calima restaurant of which his Marbella Calima just got a Michelin Star was our little treat. The €75 per head tasting menu (€85 & €95 as well) was absolutely fabulous, stunning execution & concept, first taster was an aperitif, fresh white peach sangria with strawberry popcorn ice - which is pureed strawberry dropped in to liquid nitrogen and it forms popcorn like crystals that explode with flavour in your mouth!! Lovely! Anyway to sum up, great place with some teething probs that I'm sure they will iron out. Very expensive if you only eat in hotel every day. Las Americas is €25 in a taxi, Airport €55 -€60, Los Gigantes about €12. Bus goes from 200yd from hotel to Las Americas, 477 evry hour I think, 473 every 15 mins but 473 goes everywhere & takes forever.
I hope this information is helpful & thanks to everyone who post reviews on TrypAdvisor it really does make the difference between an ok holiday & a great holiday. We are really looking forward to when we can return.

Beautiful!

by TripAdvisor Member JENNFUH

My husband and I stayed for our 8 night honeymoon, and were really happy with our choice. As several, previous (mostly positive) reviews state - the staff was friendly, and helpful; the design was incredible; the views - be it of the garden or ocean - were excellent. And despite the poor food reviews I have read on here, well my hubby and I are vegetarians, and managed to eat quite well during our stay. No problems there! We were surprised with a gratis romantic honeymoon dinner at the Ocean Club, where they made us a totally delectable vegetarian meal, that I still crave to this day!

Can't say anything bad about this place specifically, aside from the rather hard beds (but we're used to our Tempurpedics at home); but the area it's in (Alcala) is certainly lacking vitality it seems. We rented a car (thanks to Anke, who pretty much helped us plan out our entire stay on the island. excursions and all), and that was one of the best decisions we made, as it allowed us to see everything beyond our immediate 'hood.

Overall we loved our stay there, and would absolutely recommend it to a friend. Just rent some wheels, and you're golden! :)

Some of the reviews are harsh

by TripAdvisor Member Cread1974

Having read some of the previous reviews we nearly cancelled, I'm glad we didnt. We stayed at the Gran Melia in October with our 1 year old and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel itself is very impressive although the rooms do seem to have been finished in a hurry, which is a shame. We stayed in a sea view and we did move as the air conditioning didn't work in the first room and it actually wasn't much better in the second. Although, we found the air con didn't actually go below 19c which to us is not that cold (but to the staff was cold enough!)

We found the staff to be very helpful and extremely friendly and yes not all spoke english but that didn't seem to have any effect on the service we received. Although, for some unknown reason the reception is the slowest I've ever encountered, even the simplest of enquires takes half hour.

Because of the previous reviews we didnt eat in the restaurant at lunch times and really there isnt much for small children to eat. But Alcala has two good supermarkets for water, baby essentials etc. The evening food was good but the slow turnover meant everything got a little dry. This probably isnt an issue in high season and the food is quite Spanish which we enjoyed. A big complaint is the restaurant is outside and smoking is allowed everywhere and when there is a table of 10 next to you smoking throughout their meal, its very unpleasant. The hotel does get busy at weekends and the service does go downhill. We didnt eat in any of the other restaurants as the hotel was quite empty and they didnt open. Breakfasts are very good and we could take food for our baby to have at lunchtimes.

Having stayed at the Abama I think it is unfair to compare the two. The Abama is not without its problems in particularly the food and service, with the exception of Kabuki. But the Abama is more expensive. The Gran Melia is a great hotel and shouldn't be overlooked but the Abama just feels more of a 5*. All said and done we really enjoyed our holiday.

Red Level - superb! One of the best hotels ever!

by TripAdvisor Member anyone

We have just returned from a wondeful 4 day trip to this hotel - yes we too were worried after reading some of the review but absolutely no need! This hotel is absolutely gorgeous! And Iam hard to please as you will see from my other reviews

This was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and once the teething issues settle down I am sure it will be one of the finest in the world!

From the minute we arrived we were blown away by first the entrance which is simply quite spectacular to being escorted personally to the red level area and shown round the hotel enroute to this private exclusive area - even though we arrived late at gone 11am the private butlers still unpacked all our luggage for us whilst we enjoyed a complimentary top brand spirit! How relaxing and the perfect start to a short break - once the room was ready with all our clothes neatly unpacked we were escorted to the room and shown round all the facilities with the private jacuzzi on the spacious ocean view balcony the nicest surprise of all - the room was stunning - on a par with a room at Sandy Lane in Barbados - yes some things are straight on the walls and mayhae been rushed but overall the room and the bathroom and balcony were absolutely superb - hard to understand though Spanish workmanship - top quality plasma TVS on the wall but not quite straight!!

A bottle of cava (shame it wasnt champagne) was chilled in ice with some small canapes which was a nice touch

The Clarins toiletries were superb! Loved the shampoo and conditioner and all other kinds of toiletries are though of as well - just in case you forget your toothbrush or shaver!

The private club house is superb and breakfast is served on a lovely patio overlooking the ocean - you can take a more comprehensive breakfast in he main hotel restaurant but it is a buffet and busy and I prefer a more exclusive quiet experience even if the choice isnt quite as large - it was plenty for us!

Drinks are free in the club house before dinner 7 to 930 and they even serve Tattinger Champagne for this and sometimes round the pool in the day time which is a lovely touch!

There is always something to drink complimentry in the red level club house and usually cakes all afternoon - I did recommend they might look at sandwiches as well as if it is called afternoon tea they maybe should do something other than cakes - if there is any improveent that can be made here it would be to look at the Ritz Carlton Club lounges and improvethe various offerings throughout the day other than just the cakes 2-6pm

The pool area is fabulous - the water a touch cold though even though they did say it was heated - if it was it certainly wasnt warm enough for me and I am can usually brave a fairly cold pool as I swim a lot - as it was too cold I didnt swim as often as I would have liked

The private balinese beds round the pool are a nice touch and the whole pool scene is one of extreme calm and relaxation - no children allowed! They do police it well and check that people in the red level area are definitely guests in red level

The staff in the red level are superb - particulalry Alex who was fantastic - they even prepared our balcony jacuzzi bath with petals, roses, chocolates and towels and robes with top quality bathing products to enjoy a glass of champers as the sun went down on the balcony in your own private jacuzzi - heaven!!!

The main hotel has superb faciltiies and it is great feeling like you are staying in a boutique hotel in the red level exclusive area but having all the fabulous facilities at hand next door in the main hotels - the main hotel lobby is phenomenal - just too good to explain - the photos just done do the fountain show justice! It really is spectacular with bars and shops and restaurants all round he central atrium - the first restaurant we ate in the Asian one was disappointing with only half the menu available and service not as good as within the red level area - the next night we ate in their gourmet fine dining restaurant which was superb - little choice but absolutely brilliant if you like fine dining - the last night we were recommended a sea food restaurant in San Juan - called Marlin - absolutely brilliant! Cant wait to go back there - fine dining close to the harbour - top quality food and service and 112 euros for 2 with a bottle of Vina Ardanza 2000 in with that price as well!

The restaurants within the hotel maybe need improving but the facilities themselves and the bars and the entertainment every night in the central lobby area were excellent!

Fantastic stay - wish they would let us go again at Easter but they are putting their rates up and wont do the same rate we got - so my advice book quickly before the rates go up

This was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and with a couple of tweaks here and there I think the ratings will continue to improve

Many thanks to everyone in Red Level for a thoroughly enjoyable stay!

Comments