Avda Madrid, 22, San Agustin, 35100, Spain

Costs about the same, but rated 14% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Canary Islands

Coast line in El HierroCoast line in El Hierro

Las TeresitasLas Teresitas

inside view of the shop with my doggy !!inside view of the shop with my doggy !!

on the left Radjesh and on the right my wife Jacquon the left Radjesh and on the right my wife Jacqu

Self catering accommodation.

by ATLC

hi all,

I have never been to Canary Islands, other than a stopover during a world cruise many decades ago.

We are trying to go there 26 Febr-5 March 2011 (that's soon!).
We like to avoid too touristy areas. We like local life, nice views, a market, history and, weather permitting, a bit of beach and a swim once or twice.

A few questions:
1. what would be the best location (the islands and names mean very little to me as for now)
2. does anyone know good self catering accommodation for 2 adults. Clean and a bit of comfort is great. We never choose higher than 3-star hotels, if you get my drift.
3. Transportation: How much does car rental cost? Is public transportation easy and frequent?

Links and pointers to VT tips would be great. THANKS!

by ranger49

We had a most enjoyable stay here a few years ago
and my eldest daughter went there twic after us.
I think it has changed hands since we were there. At that time we had the ground floor and the owners, Robert and Barry, lived in the much larger acccommodation above.
It was a lovely location and if there was a down side it was that the cooking area was rather small.Barry worked as guide on one of the whale watching cruises which tenants went on for free. If you are interested you can see more about it on my Tenerife page.We loved the island - which is beautiful away from the fleshpots.

by akkipaa

I am going day after tomorrow to Tenerife, Los Cristianos. Too late to create some tips to you, but I will do that later. The offering is wide, but we tried to select accoring about just to your list. Weather report today: rainy and +19C, so it's below perfect (but more than currently here -8C) on friday promises are 23 and sunny. Water temp might be 19-20 (warm to me, but...). I checked car rental from AutoRaisen (South Airport) and if was 70€/day 3days rental (Citroen C2). I wait that I can take a car from "streets" to 50e/day. Hope that I can be more helpfull after two weeks.

by Miguelzgz

My vote always goes to Lanzarote.

Hiring a car is easy, unexpensive, and the island has the "perfect" size(in my opinion, off course) to spend one or two days driving and watching several diferent things.
National Park of Timanfaya is an amazing place, don´t miss it if you do it to Lanzarote.

I can´t help you much about the hotels...but I am pretty sure that if you finally choose that island...you will find their "oficial" tourism site plenty of options.(http://www.turismodecanarias.com/canary-islands-spain/index.html)

Enjoy.

by Pijlmans

Hi Anke-Thea,

You've already seen my Gran Canaria page. I've been to Lanzarote (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6117e/40883/) and La Palma (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6117e/40867/) as well.

Lanzarote is special because of its explicit volcanic character, and very special landscapes.

La Palma is the island I liked most, because it is a great place for hiking, and the least touristic. It has both volcanic and forest-like parts, so there's a lot of variation. We had a self-catering very basic apartment there, with an amazing view.

On all islands we've rented a car, through the agency where we booked our accommodation. It's probably cheaper to book through an agency than to try to find the best deal yourself, but you can try of course...I don't remember prices though...

Just my personal view: a car gives you a lot more freedom than public transport, and for me it's worth the extra money...

Cheers,
Dennis

by ATLC

That's my view also, Dennis. Thanks!

by zanuks

For accommodation I advise to use this web: www.holiday-rentals.co.uk.
There a lot of offers.

Travel Tips for Canary Islands

CANARY ISLANDS - general info

by Maria_75

Noone knows exactly how the islands were formed, allthough many agree they were formed after volcanic eruptions, and they are estimated to be 30 million years old. Today the islands belongs to Spain, and are located approximately 100km off the coast of North Africa.

The legend say that the islands were formed when the mythical continent of Atlantis sank into the ocean. And romans referred to them as the Fortunate Isles, a name many still use today, because of the favourable winds and stable climate conditions.

"Puerto Rico"

by C.GOROSTIAGA

This is Puerto Rico's bus station. You can find The Tourist Office nearby in case you need to get information of this part of the island. All buses depart and arrive here. It's a good point of reference.

Tenerife Island

by Jansa

Teide is one of the most famous mountains in Spain. It is, also, the highest one. It is situated in Tenerife Island, in the middle of an unique volcanic landscape.
This mountain is an important identity sign in this island.

Best weather all year round.

by afra

It´s so nice to feel the smooth warm breeze when back home you were freezing under the coat. If you snorkle already, I´m sure you never forget the set. If not, the Canary Islands are a fabulous spot to give it a go. Mind you, the ocean is not a calm pool but you don´t need to go a mile inwards to appreciate the beauty & peace of submarine world.

explore

by diddeen

don't stick to the main places, get out and about. There is much to see if you go and look the friendliness of the people. Although i can't speak the language, they apprieciated the fact that I did at least try to

Comments