Isla de Gran Canaria Hotels

Our Members Say

• thinktink profile photo thinktink
  • Reviews: 16

Bahia Blanca Apartments: Value for Money Off Season Find

A lot bigger than what I expected after booking last minute through laterooms.com we got a 2 bed apartment for approx £300 for the week.

The apartment was clean and tidy and had everything you needed for self-catering.

Not ideal for anyone who isn't too fit/healthy, its a 15 min walk to Puerto Rico, and the apartments are up a hill, there is a lift in the apartment complex but it is quite slow, even in my mid 20's I felt quite breathless taking the stairs.

Awesome view as it is built into the side of a mountain.

Free shuttle service to nearby market village with some great gift/souvenir ideas.

Quiet pool and rooftop jacuzzi, steam rooms and spa.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches, Whale Watching, Budget Travel
  • Written January 23, 2013

Apartments

• deholiday profile photo deholiday
  • Reviews: 1

Los Lavaderos: GRANTURAL RURAL HOUSES

This is a lovely self catering country house located in a small town. The house is completely equipped and you have all you need and more, like at home. There are 3 double rooms, kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a cosy living room with fireplace. The decoration vintage is wonderful and the garden and terrace is delightful.

There is even a private pool with hamacks to enjoy the good weather. Treatment with the owners very kind and friendly. The area around is very green with a small forest to walk.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Eco-Tourism, Family Travel
  • Written June 14, 2012

Rural house Garden and Terrace

• kevin36 profile photo kevin36
  • Reviews: 282

Suite Princess Playa Taurito: Suite Princess

We stayed at the Suite Princess Playa Taurito from June 13th -27th June 2011, after seeing mixed reviews we were a bit concerned,however I can personally say : We found no problems with this Hotel at all, it is rated 4*** and in my view is exactly that.
Cleanliness : Rooms were cleaned every day.

Meals : There should something for everyone with varied menus,Cooked breakfast with Sausage, Beans, Bacon, scrambled Eggs,Cereals etc.
Themed meals on certain days.
Drinks: Depends on likes.
We had Tequila Sunrise and Bucks Fizz,there are various Cocktails available,Beer,Wine and Soft drinks.(All Inclusive).

Romantic Meal evening : Book this when you arrive (Its free)

Entertainment : A bit Hit and Miss, but in general acceptable. One show in particular I thought was Excellent was (The Flamenco Show)

The Pool : Two Pools,One Heated Shallower, one not Heated Deeper,however you couldn't tell the difference they were both nice and warm.

The Rooms : Very Spacious with Sea Views and large balcony's, complete with table and chairs.
Shower / Bath, hair dryer etc.

This Hotel is set in a valley with Views of Puerto de Mogan, some people moan that there is nothing to do?,well we stayed for 14days and found plenty of things to do.
The Bus service is very good and Air conditioned .
Easy to remember go to the Roundabout first stop by roundabout goes right (Puerto Rico) bust stop Across the road goes to Puerto Mogan €1.30each,€6:00 by Taxi, if in doubt ask the driver most speak very good English.

This is the first time we have been to a couples hotel and I have to say it was relaxing.

Firstly, this Hotel is a Couples Hotel (Adults Only).
Its very peaceful and the Staff we found to be very good and helpful in all departments.
I would like to say a big "Thank you" to Laura and Gemma, Thomson and Fist Choice Reps who were Excellent and very helpful,if you want to know anything about the surrounding area they know it.
Nothing was too much trouble,I went in numerous times testing their knowledge,there is not much they don't know and have some very good tips!.
Tip1: Its cheaper to use the Hotel Room Phone that the phone boxes,sounds too good to be true? its True ask them.
They also have a swap Box and Books in their Office of items left from fellow travelers,so if you forgot your shampoo,hairspray,Sun tan lotion etc have a look.
Excellent Idea.
The Reception staff are always on hand and we were greeted with a smile every time.
There is a Car Hire Company in the Hotel Jurecars,again very helpful with good service.

The Hotel is Modern, spacious,and there is calm atmosphere .

Suite Princess Video

• Related to: Fishing, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written April 1, 2011

Suite Princess

• Maidstoneman profile photo Maidstoneman
  • Reviews: 121

Hotel Neptuno: I will return

I really enjoyed my stay here in March 2011. It was a first for me to go away on my own (my partner didn’t have the leave left) and I am so pleased I made this choice. The hotel was welcoming, friendly and safe and there were other single travellers, too.

Yes, it is a little 1970s, but none the worst for it. The room was spotlessly clean and the army of maids who descend on the hotel each morning is proof that they are well employed. The air conditioning worked well, and the provision of tea making facilities was a nice touch (even though they use condensed milk!). The TV channels were limited but I used my laptop for free wifi to keep in touch. There is also an internet centre for those who haven’t brought their laptop with them.

There is a shop in the foyer and huge indoor seating areas, some with games tables, none of which were crowded.

I only took breakfast. It was impressive, fresh and tasty. As much as you wanted. I soon discovered that there were good and bad times to go down. Sometimes it was like a market but if you chose right it was as calm as anything. Food never ran out, even at 11am when Breakfast ends.

In the early evenings the hot water could have been hotter but in the morning and afternoons it was plentiful, and it really wasn’t a deal breaker.

As a gay man the beauty for me was to be in an adults only hotel with a high proportion of gay men – probably 60%. The remaining guests were mainly older married couples. The hotel has a back entrance straight into the Yumbo Centre – ideal for getting back from the clubs. My room was at the end so I didn’t get a pool view but it was quite quiet. A bonus was a distant sea view!

I travelled independently so probably paid over the odds. The packages with Thomas Cook had some horrific night flights which I won’t do. So I got the Easyjet daytime flights and booked the hotel directly. If you want to save money take the No 66 bus (one an hour) from the airport. It is 4 Euros as opposed to the taxi at 50! The stop is just 3 minutes walk from the hotel.

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Beaches
  • Written March 8, 2011

Bar

• Maidstoneman profile photo Maidstoneman
  • Reviews: 121

Hotel Neptuno: I will be back

• Written March 8, 2011

• windpaard profile photo windpaard
  • Reviews: 126

eva,lumy,casa lila,salvador: puerto mogan

pension eva is very cheap about 20 euro for a room but not a ensuite bathroom,they have only 2 bathrooms for 9 rooms,928565235
just around the corner from eva you havr pension lumy928565318, with small apart with bathroom and kitchen also very cheap.from eva you have to walk about 10 minutes to come in the centrum.
near the bus station you have casa lila, calle da la puntilla,22, for about 40 euro with bathroom and 45 euro with bathroom and kitchen,
in the old city(up the moutain) you have pension salvador c/ corriente,13, they have rooms for 20 euro and apartement for 25 euro,I stayed hier,if you want to stay with little luxe,take than the apart. venezia de las canarias,bij www.booking.com you can get it for about 55 euro,
puerto mogan is a little artificial, and the beach is not so good, the beach of the praia dos amadores en anfi are much better,but you have to go with the bus,to the north you can make a big walk about 9 km till the next beach,

cheap and OK

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written December 26, 2009

• piglet44 profile photo piglet44
  • Reviews: 210

Cordial Mogan Valle apartments ,Puerto Mogan: reasonable and convenient

this is an apartment hotel complex next to the Mogan Playa hotel.It is very large, has 3 swimming pools and a sauna, and you get a spacious self catering apartment 10 minutes walk from the beach at Puerto Mogan. You have everything you need in the kitchen, and a supermarket right across from the complex.The rooms are cleaned most days and it makes for a pleasant relaxing stay.You have a huge balcony and if you are lucky you can see the sea and then mountains from it.

views, location,reasonable price

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written December 19, 2009

view of Mogan

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Las Camelias.: A two star (key) apartment hotel.

I stayed at Hotel Las Camelias for a month in October-November 2009. It is excellently located, by the main street in Playa del Ingles and only a few minutes walk to Yumbo center. I was very happy with my stay, although the apartment is small it was really cosy and the furniture, the pictures on the walls and the curtains were tasteful and you just felt at home (which is not always the case when staying at a hotel). The TV was a pay-per-view, i.e. one euro for one hour, so I didn´t touch that and even though I have seen such TVs at other places I still find them to be so tacky. The kitchen has a gas-stove so bring some matches in case you arrive late.

The balcony was huge and the balconies at the end of the hotel (-01) are even bigger. And one can enter them from both the bedroom and the living room which is a plus and made the apartment look bigger. The sun didn´t arrive until ca 14-18 though. I stayed at 606, I would advice you against staying at -05 as the ventilation from the very popular restaurant down-stairs runs through these balconies cutting off a part of them leaving you in the dark. This ventilation wakes you up at 5 which was a bit annoying though. The restaurant is a buffet open from 12-23 - 9,95 euros for adults and it was ever so popular and when you were sunbathing and swimming in the pool there was sometimes an audience as the restaurant is on the first floor of the hotel and sometimes guests there came into the swimming pool area of the hotel.

There are a lot of privately owned apartments at this hotel, surprisingly many, and next to us there was a couple with a small child who cried almost the entire month, so the couple next to us had to change rooms and other people were going out of their mind. As the hotel is U-shaped our room was too close to other balconies and we constantly had to draw the blinds as other people had a view straight into our bedroom. So there were a few flaws to this hotel, but all in all I was satisfied and would stay there again.

There is a 15 minutes walk to the beach (Las Dunas) and from there another 15 minutes to the ocean.

On the ground floor there is a Spar supermarket, but I found it too expensive compared to other supermarkets.

As VT only allows for 5 photos for hotels, which is way too few, I add additional photos in a travelogue here.

• Written December 5, 2009
Tip Photo

The swimming pool at Hotel Las Camelias.

• kevin36 profile photo kevin36
  • Reviews: 282

Gloria Palace Royal: Superb Hotel

The Dunas Amadores is a superb new hotel, built by the Dunas Hotels group, but recently purchased by the nearby Gloria Palace Amadores and now named Gloria Palace Royal.
Where to start? From the moment you arrive you will be looked after ,I have to say this is one of the Best Hotels I have ever stayed in,you are greeted when you get off the coach, they take your cases off to your room and you are normally given a Free welcome glass of champagne.
The Hotel itself is modern and very well laid out the rooms are spacious and Air-conditioned.
The service was excellent in all departments from the Reception,waiters and cleaning staff.
One thing I feel I have to tell you that is a little delicate is: The Island is hot all year round and one of the residents are Cockroaches so the chances are you may see a few,the tip is not to stamp on them.
The Hotel staff were brilliant,on our first night we had two visitors which are easy to spot one phone call to service/reception and the cleaner was dispatched,she arrived in minutes,sprayed and cleaned the surfaces and we never had anymore for the rest of our stay.
Id like to make it clear that this is not a problem with the hotel,you will find them wherever you stay no matter how clean,they are one of the residents of the island,but this particular Hotel does everything it can to keep them away and they will tell you no matter what time of the day,"Ring them" and they will take care of you.
That aside I could not really fault this hotel at all, the Entertainment could have been better ,but I was reassured that they are working hard to improve it day by day,and from what I saw i have no reason to think otherwise.

Unique qualities? Everything about this Hotel is Unique,starting with arriving at the Airport and asking the rep where our coach was? "your staying at the Gloria Place Royal" you will love it ,it is my favorite Hotel,everyone seems to recognize this hotel as one of the best.
The views over the bay are breathtaking and the pool is perfect temperature wise and depth wise.
We were all Inclusive which had added benefits, the spa is Included and we visited nearly everyday from steam room to aqua showers and beds it was great.
All rooms have a Sea View,the reception area has newspapers every day with magazines three computers for Internet and even a charging console,so if you forget your charger the chances are they have one at a small fee to use.
There was never a problem with sun loungers there are plenty to go around and there was not many people trying to put towels on,they do state in their policy or rules that it is not allowed and they will remove them,whether they do?, i do not really know,as we never had a problem getting a lounger.
last but not least the waiters are very attentive and see that you are looked after,the plus side also was there are no seating arrangements you turn up and the staff take you to your table, and the food was excellent.
I could go and on but i wont look at the video for yourself and see,I had to shorten it but i think you will get a feel for it. The Video

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Fishing, Beaches
  • Written July 22, 2009

Gloria Palace Royal

• Rachel1985 profile photo Rachel1985
  • Reviews: 1

Revoli Playa Aparthotel: Great Apartment-Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria

Puerto Rico is beautiful, easy to get around and has plenty to offer all holiday-goers. The beach was immaculate as was our apartment complex, the Revoli Playa Aparthotel. We will definitely return to the Revoli again for many reasons. The service everywhere within the complex was fantastic, from the reception desk to the maid service to the waiters and bar service. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was clean, bright and spacious. The pool area was clean and child friendly with plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas. The amenities were great- a supermarket with everything you may need, a beauty and hair salon, a massage therapist, an internet cafe, a jewellery shop, a clothes shop and an arcade are all located by the poolside!! So convenient!! The daytime activities (if you wished to get involved) and the nightly entertainment were brilliant. Finally, although we didn't use it, there was 3 age divided Kids Clubs which seemed safe and entertaining. We only ate in the hotel one evening as we like to try local cuisine and tend to go to the less "touristy" restaurants.
"Bubbles", a restaurant within the shopping centre, was chosen by our 6 year old son to dine in one evening. The name and the appearance of the restaurant had me cringing before I even walked in.HOWEVER I was very, very wrong!! I will never again judge a book by it's cover!! Fantastic service (really warm and helpful without being pushy or annoying), very reasonable prices and, most importantly, DELICIOUS FOOD! Cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Huge choice of sides, not the usual fries, fries or more fries!!!! Myself and my partner decided on a main of Chateaubriand served with potato gratin and vegetables. Best meal we had on holidays. Our 6 year old had swordfish which also went down a treat! "Bubbles" is definitely worth a visit!
The only thing I had a problem with are the row of shops by the marina (Puerto Escala) These shops were not run by locals but by people of Indian/Pakistan etc. origin. (This was not an issue-their way of business however was!!) We went into a shop called BAZAR FAIR DEAL II. It was certainly not a fair deal! We were looking at a video camera and had not yet decided whether to go ahead with the purchase. I was leaving my partner to decide while I went outside with our son. Before I left the shop I put €50 on the counter as my partner was holding the camera. I said "There's money in case you decide to buy that. I'm waiting outside". Before I knew it the money had been taken from the counter and placed in the shop cash register (till)!!! We said that we had not yet decided to purchase the camera and asked for our money back. One of the shop owners (there seemed to be a number of them) told us they did not do REFUNDS!!! After a half hour of squabbling we left with €30 of our original €50 and 200 cigarettes which we don't smoke (we gave them to a friend). DO NOT ENTER THIS SHOP AS NOT ONLY IS IT DISHONEST ABOUT THEIR PRICES AND THE ORIGIN OF THEIR PRODUCTS BUT THEY ARE ALSO COWBOYS!!
remember the name AND AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.........BAZAR FAIR DEAL II

The Revoli Playa Aparthotel was only 10-15 minutes walk from everything.

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written May 25, 2009
Tip Photo

Revoli Playa Aparthotel from our sunloungers!!

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bungalow Parquesol.: Outside facilities.

The outside facilities at Parquesol are much nicer than being inside. There is a nice terrace with deck chairs and a table and a big parasol and lots of flowers. There are 2 small swimming pools with salt-water which were supposed to be heated, but were really cold and we were told that the heating had to be fixed. I stayed there for 3,5 weeks and only on the last days did the manager have it fixed.

Apart from that the outside facilites were lovely, a creek with water running all day long (until 18h) seperates the bungalows which face one another and it was lovely listening to it while sunbathing or talk to the neighbours across the creek. There is a pool table and enough space by the swimming pools for the whole of the guests at the bungalows to have morning gymnastic (which they did).

The reception was open at some fixed hours which I could never find out as when it was supposed to be open it was closed or vica versa. The manager did not speek any English so sign-language was needed. Sometimes though there was a woman in the reception who spoke English.

If the inside of the bungalow would have been as lovely as the outside I would stay there again.

• Written January 2, 2009

The swimming pools.

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bungalow Parquesol.: My second stay in a bungalow.

I was not satisfied with my stay at Parquesol. It looked all right on the photos from the agency, but it was cold and not at all inviting. My first impression was that I was sitting at the bus-station or in a bathroom with all the tiles on the walls. I first tried one bedroom, but got almost claustrophobic in there, the bars on all windows and double-bars in that very bedroom made the room very dark and in it were just beds and one bedside table. We pushed the beds together (both of the bedrooms had seperate beds) and in the middle was a big gap, so this was as unromantic as it could be. Everywhere where I have stayed there has been a dressing table in the room, but in this bedroom there was just no room for it, and the walls were too close for comfort. So I moved into the other bedroom, it was the same but less bars on the window so I had more light. I bought pictures and taped them onto the walls to get some life in the room. The blankets we got were filthy, full of dust and there were blood-stains on the bedspread, and as there was just a sheet to cover yourself with I had to cover myself with both the bedspread and the blankets as it was very cold in the bungalow! My guess is that the blankets are never washed. I ended up borrowing a heater as I was sleeping fully dressed.

Then there were so many mosquitos in the bungalow and I got many bites during the night. There were ants all over the kitchen and bathroom, even though we borrowed a spray to kill them.

Being so close to Yumbo and there being an opening in the ceiling of the bathroom there was LOUD music and singing until 4 in the morning, so there was little sleep to be had on this trip.

The TV was the smallest ever and right up in the ceiling so there was no watching it, not a chance, and for 1 euro you could get 2 hours' of watching, but that was in vain as there was nothing to be seen there.

There was no phone in the bungalow and no Internet at the reception.

The bathroom was ok, but it wouldn't have hurt them to leave a small bar of soap there for people having travelled all day arriving late at night.

There were 2 entrances to the bungalow, one by the terrace and one by the kitchen and the cleaning ladies started moving the deck chairs and table at 8 in the morning making a lot of noise and then entering the bungalow very early to clean, so there was no sleep to be had. There was no sign saying "Do not disturb" and one could expect to be disturbed whenever. Not at all nice.

I totally recommend people to stay away from this place.

• Written December 29, 2008
Tip Photo

The living room and kitchen.

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

Gloria Palace Amadores: Stunning Sea Views

We booked this trip on a Thursday and flew out that Saturday. We weren't expecting much and so to say that we were pleasantly surprised would be a gross understatement.

From the moment that we arrived things ran swiftly and smoothly. There were many of us checking in at once, but all our rooms were ready and glasses of sparkling wine and fruit juice quenched our thirst as we checked in.

On being shown to our room I continued to be impressed. It was very large indeed with one full wall of glass leading to a large balcony with panoramic sea view. The room was adequately furnished and the beds were very comfortable.

The entire hotel is immaculately clean. I would rise early every morning to reserve sunbeds (more of that in a moment) and there would be half a dozen staff cleaning the pool area, polishing the chrome, wiping down the tables and sunbeds.

There were two outdoor pools and an outdoor kids pool, plus an indoor pool and thalassotherapy centre. Unfortunately both outdoor pools were being repaired while we were there - one each week - so there was always a rush for sunbeds. That saying, I imagine that normally there would be plenty of beds to go around. The upper pool even has an enclosed nude sunbathing area. Also at that pool there is a very spacious snack bar with food at most reasonable prices (e.g. €2.70 for burger and salad).

There is an extensive animation programme for people of all ages. This includes varied activities such as archery, darts, aquagym, waterpolo, kids disco, nightly cabaret etc. In general it's to a high standard with noteable exceptions (in this regard I strongly advise you to avoid the very amateur mimed production of "Sister Act - the movie").

The food is of a very high standard. It's all buffet service but the menu changes nightly and there's something for every taste. In addition to a wide variety of prepared salads and hot dishes, there is also a grill area where meat and fish are fried to order. An oriental meal is available every night. Every night the buffet has a theme - French, Cuban, Canarian etc.

Outside the hotel a walkway stretches in both directions - five minutes walk to the left is the beach and village of Puerto Rico; ten minutes in the other direction is the pristine beach of Amadores.

This is a hotel that has everything for people of every age. The nicest thing of all for us was how friendly the other guests were. We made many new friends as we chatted around the piano bar every night. We will be back!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written December 26, 2008

The upper pool

• lomi profile photo lomi
  • Reviews: 545

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel La Aldea Suites: Rural Hotel in San Nicolas

The hotel in San Nicolas has been open a year and the interior is decorated in an attractive contemporary style. The suites all have a bedroom (ours had twin beds), shower room and another room with a sofa bed, coffee table, electric fan, chair and desk; we also had two small balconys overlooking the road on one side and the pool on the other. A big tv was placed rather inconveniently in our bedroom, so that, we had to lie on the bed to watch it.

There is a restaurant on the ground floor only open for breakfast. Yet, the food was very good. Hot scrambled eggs and bacon, cereals, fruit, cold meat & cheese, yoghurts, fruit juices, filtered coffee or decaff sachets. We didnt see the bar open during our 4 day stay. There is also a pool (unheated) outside with a sunbathing area, which we didnt use.

The town itself isnt really geared up for visitors though. We were pointed in the direction of a cerveceria, on our first night, a walk away, for an evening meal (about 8pm). It was full of young people drinking & smoking & watching football on a flatscreen. We found a Chinese restaurant, further along, unfortunately the food was dismal & we left most of it, even though we were hungry. On our return to the hotel (about 8.45pm) even the cerveceria had closed for the night... The tv had BBC World, 3 Spanish & 2 German channels... so there is not much to do either.

The next night, having eaten out during the day, we shopped in the San Nicolas Spar supermarket & nibbled on bits in our room.. and had an early night. On the 3rd night we drove to the tiny harbour & discovered the bar stays open til 8.30 pm & they will serve food if you ask... which was tolerable.

The town survives on the tomato trade & therefore much of the land hereabouts is covered in miles of plastic tarpaulin. It is not the small rural village location I thought I was getting. Artenera, further inland (and along more hairpin bends), is in that category though. However, the local people in San Nicolas are really friendly.

In summary, the hotel is attractive and comfortable, but it is not in a nice location (there is a nightclub on the corner of the street & you can hear car doors banging & disco noise into the early hours on some nights). It is also in a town that takes forever to drive to and along heart-stoppingly zig zag, switch back roads that are jutting out over the ocean... if you suffer vertigo (which I did) it is a pretty horrible drive...and you have to do it again just to escape every day.

If I was to advise anyone of a rural spot to stay and visit the rest of the Gran Canaria, without spending time in the big resorts, I would probably recommend Mogàn village or even Puerto Mogàn.

• Related to: Road Trip, National/State Park
  • Written October 13, 2008

Bedroom at La Aldea

• wolf66 profile photo wolf66
  • Reviews: 38

Riu Palace Maspalomas: White Palace at the dunes

RIU Palace Maspalomas Hotel is the one and only choice staying in Playa de Ingles.
The location at the edge of fuzzy Playa Ingles facing the dunes and the sea is unique.
Service and food are excellent.No hotel for making party,but a quiet retreat for holidays on a high standard.Worth the price for seaview room on third or fourth floor.

• Written July 28, 2008