Isla de Gran Canaria Hotels

Our Members Say

• kevin36 profile photo kevin36
  • Reviews: 282

Gloria Palace Royal: Superb Hotel

The Dunas Amadores is a superb new hotel, built by the Dunas Hotels group, but recently purchased by the nearby Gloria Palace Amadores and now named Gloria Palace Royal.
Where to start? From the moment you arrive you will be looked after ,I have to say this is one of the Best Hotels I have ever stayed in,you are greeted when you get off the coach, they take your cases off to your room and you are normally given a Free welcome glass of champagne.
The Hotel itself is modern and very well laid out the rooms are spacious and Air-conditioned.
The service was excellent in all departments from the Reception,waiters and cleaning staff.
One thing I feel I have to tell you that is a little delicate is: The Island is hot all year round and one of the residents are Cockroaches so the chances are you may see a few,the tip is not to stamp on them.
The Hotel staff were brilliant,on our first night we had two visitors which are easy to spot one phone call to service/reception and the cleaner was dispatched,she arrived in minutes,sprayed and cleaned the surfaces and we never had anymore for the rest of our stay.
Id like to make it clear that this is not a problem with the hotel,you will find them wherever you stay no matter how clean,they are one of the residents of the island,but this particular Hotel does everything it can to keep them away and they will tell you no matter what time of the day,"Ring them" and they will take care of you.
That aside I could not really fault this hotel at all, the Entertainment could have been better ,but I was reassured that they are working hard to improve it day by day,and from what I saw i have no reason to think otherwise.

Unique qualities? Everything about this Hotel is Unique,starting with arriving at the Airport and asking the rep where our coach was? "your staying at the Gloria Place Royal" you will love it ,it is my favorite Hotel,everyone seems to recognize this hotel as one of the best.
The views over the bay are breathtaking and the pool is perfect temperature wise and depth wise.
We were all Inclusive which had added benefits, the spa is Included and we visited nearly everyday from steam room to aqua showers and beds it was great.
All rooms have a Sea View,the reception area has newspapers every day with magazines three computers for Internet and even a charging console,so if you forget your charger the chances are they have one at a small fee to use.
There was never a problem with sun loungers there are plenty to go around and there was not many people trying to put towels on,they do state in their policy or rules that it is not allowed and they will remove them,whether they do?, i do not really know,as we never had a problem getting a lounger.
last but not least the waiters are very attentive and see that you are looked after,the plus side also was there are no seating arrangements you turn up and the staff take you to your table, and the food was excellent.
I could go and on but i wont look at the video for yourself and see,I had to shorten it but i think you will get a feel for it. The Video

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches, Fishing
  • Written July 22, 2009

Gloria Palace Royal

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Apartamentos Dorotea: A good location and a very friendly staff.

We stayed at Apartamentos Dorotea for 2 weeks in December 2007. It belongs to the "Trujillo Castellanos group" and is classified as an economy hotel and is rated 2 stars. There are 40 apartments in this hotel and 5 floors. The lobby is small and open from 9-13 and 16-20 o'clock with excellent staff, really friendly and helpful, which made us feel really welcome. There is an Internet-connection for free for 10 minutes at a time in the lobby. Our apartment was spacious, with 2 bedrooms (we were 2 people staying there), an excellent balcony, the bathroom and kitchen were modern and everything was clean and to our satisfaction. The kitchen had a toaster, fridge, a coffee-maker and a kettle. There was a pay-per-view TV. The safety-box fee was 37,34 euros - 10 euros deposit for 15 nights. All in all we had an excellent stay there, everything was up to par and I would recommend it to anybody and would definately stay there again.

The pool area was nice with a bar-snack area. Dorotea is a 5 minutes' walk from the beach (uphill from the beach) and a couple of minutes' walk from a convenience-store and Kasbah, which is up the steps on the left hand side (looking at the beach). The location of the hotel is really great as it is so central, on the left hand side (looking at the mountains) you walk for about 7 minutes and there is Yumbo-center, it is better to walk up the street to the Koka hotel and turn left and walk to the end of that street and turn left again and walk for a couple of minutes and then on the right hand side is Yumbo-center. The other route is walking all the steps, up and down, which lead to Yumbo-center, but they are not for everybody and can get really tiring and I saw a lot of people with maps trying to find their way, as the continuation of the steps from Kasbah to the Yumbo-center can be a bit hard to find.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written December 28, 2007

Apartamentos Dorotea

• Henrik_rrb profile photo Henrik_rrb
  • Reviews: 456

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Tamarindos: 4 star hotel - but was it really that good?

For sure it was a pleasant stay, with great service and helpfullness from the staff.
But it costed a lot too, we got rooms with a view over nothing, and the sun never got to our balcons, during the whole day.

It's a very luxury hotel, with a lobby that probably is the biggest I have ever seen. The rooms are big, plenty of tv-channels, minibar and fine toilet.

The restaurant in the hotel was also great, with breakfast-buffet served every morning. The dinner buffet was fantastic, although incredible expensive, as we noticed when we checked out... Lucky we just went there once...

The hotel garden was amazing, and took me in my minds back to Thailand and Phuket. Also the pool-area was good, plenty of space for everyone, and hotel towels for all the guests.

Also some nice bars around the pool area.

There were also a tenniscourt, and a squash court, that was free of charge for the guests. The quality of the tenniscourt was really good. At least that's what I say, since I beat my brother in three games in a row during the week... :)´

There is also an activity-house in the garden, where the staff organize different activities every day, including tennis, squash, minigolf and water gymnastics.

There is also an internet café with 3-4 computers, although it's really expensive, 3 euro for an hour.

I should mention the casino too, which is placed in the hotel basement. Obviously one of the most luxury casinos on the island, as it was over crowded every night.

Not a place for someone, like me, who just wanted to spend 10-20 euro on the roulette... Every mark costed 2,50 euro, and it was more or less impossible to get a place around the table.

Not to mention the amount of money that was gambled away every time... uffa!

So, it's a very nice hotel, without any doubt. Question is though if it really is worth all the money. We have stayed at hotels even more luxurus, where we paid quite less than this time.

Pool area - great, with two pools. One with warm water, around 25 degrees Celcius. Then plenty of sun chairs, so there was never a problem to find an empty chair.

Hotel bars - also nice, some of them even a bit too strict?

Tenniscourt - great. A bit too windy now and then only.

Restaurant - great food, but really expensive! We found the same quality of the food, for much cheaper price, just outside the hotel area.

View - crap... We could have paid something like 200 euro extra per room to get a view over the ocean. But hello...? With the price we already paid we could have gone half around the world...?

The price for the hotel is hard to say, as the trip and the hotel was included in the same price. But sure it was expensive...

• Related to: Casino and Gambling, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 3, 2005

Hotel Tamarindos

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rebecca Park bungalows.: A 2 star bungalow.

We stayed at the Rebecca Park Apartments for 2 weeks in March 2008 in an apartment with 1 bedroom. These bungalows are of normal standard, clean (apart from a few ants in the kitchen) with very friendly staff which make you feel very welcome. There are 50 apartments there and four studios. A restaurant, a mini market, a pool-bar, pool and a tennis court.

Our apartment was really nice, but the windows in the bed-room faced the swimming-pool as did the bath-room, so when taking a shower one had to keep the window shut as to not be on display. I could go out of the bed-room window into the swimming-pool area so there was no opening that window as well if one did not want to be seen from the swimming-pool area which was a disadvantage really. Our apartment had a living room with a sofa (sleeps 1) and a bed, a kitchenette and TV, with a lot of channels (for free), a safety-deposit box in the closet (which you pay for at the lobby), a nice bath-room and a bed-room. There had been some painting experiments in the bed-room, a different colour of yellow had been splashed here and there on the walls, making it a bit shabby, apart from that the bed-room was really nice. We had a terrace facing another bungalow. The terrace was nice, with a table, a table-cloth, 2 chairs and 2 sundecks. The only thing bothering us there was that the path leading to other bungalows was right in front of the terrace, too close for comfort, you can notice how close the path is on my picture in my next tip.

There are two computers with Internet connection in the lobby, but the Internet speed was extremely slow, REALLY slow, so better go to an Internet café. There is one really good Internet café (5 hours for 5 euros) on the corner of Avenida de Gran Canaria and Avenida de Tirajana. It is on the same side as the CC Chaparral, just walk towards Tirajana and down the stairs on the corner, there are a few restaurants and this Internet café.

Rebecca Park is about 1,5 kilometres away from the beach, one just walks to the end of Tirajana to Riu Palace and then along the Dunas which takes you straight to the beach. Yumbo centre is really close, only about 5 minutes' walk and you are there, which is an advantage. Take a look at my next tip for more pictures and information. On their business card they have a website www.grupoamcotur.com but I found www.hotelstreet.co.uk/Hotels-4046-Rebecca_Park.html to be much more useful.

• Written March 27, 2008

The swimming-pool

• sachara profile photo sachara
  • Reviews: 3950

Gran Hotel Costa Meloneras: Family reunion in Gran Canaria

Because of the 55th anniversary of the marriage of my parents we stayed with our family (13 people) in this huge hotel with 1138 rooms and suites.
The architecture of the hotel is Canarian and the hotel looks a bit like a castle. There is a lot of art and decoration inside the hotel. Most people like its ambiance and artmosphere very much, but it is not my kind of style.
The huge hotel is divided in 7 patios with different colours and themes.

4 restaurants, different bars, shops, spa, fitnesscentre, swimmingpools, tennis, minigolf, jeu de boules, life music, activities for kids and much more......

• Related to: Beaches
  • Written November 17, 2003

Gran Hotel Costa Meloneras

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bungalow Parquesol.: My second stay in a bungalow.

I was not satisfied with my stay at Parquesol. It looked all right on the photos from the agency, but it was cold and not at all inviting. My first impression was that I was sitting at the bus-station or in a bathroom with all the tiles on the walls. I first tried one bedroom, but got almost claustrophobic in there, the bars on all windows and double-bars in that very bedroom made the room very dark and in it were just beds and one bedside table. We pushed the beds together (both of the bedrooms had seperate beds) and in the middle was a big gap, so this was as unromantic as it could be. Everywhere where I have stayed there has been a dressing table in the room, but in this bedroom there was just no room for it, and the walls were too close for comfort. So I moved into the other bedroom, it was the same but less bars on the window so I had more light. I bought pictures and taped them onto the walls to get some life in the room. The blankets we got were filthy, full of dust and there were blood-stains on the bedspread, and as there was just a sheet to cover yourself with I had to cover myself with both the bedspread and the blankets as it was very cold in the bungalow! My guess is that the blankets are never washed. I ended up borrowing a heater as I was sleeping fully dressed.

Then there were so many mosquitos in the bungalow and I got many bites during the night. There were ants all over the kitchen and bathroom, even though we borrowed a spray to kill them.

Being so close to Yumbo and there being an opening in the ceiling of the bathroom there was LOUD music and singing until 4 in the morning, so there was little sleep to be had on this trip.

The TV was the smallest ever and right up in the ceiling so there was no watching it, not a chance, and for 1 euro you could get 2 hours' of watching, but that was in vain as there was nothing to be seen there.

There was no phone in the bungalow and no Internet at the reception.

The bathroom was ok, but it wouldn't have hurt them to leave a small bar of soap there for people having travelled all day arriving late at night.

There were 2 entrances to the bungalow, one by the terrace and one by the kitchen and the cleaning ladies started moving the deck chairs and table at 8 in the morning making a lot of noise and then entering the bungalow very early to clean, so there was no sleep to be had. There was no sign saying "Do not disturb" and one could expect to be disturbed whenever. Not at all nice.

I totally recommend people to stay away from this place.

• Written December 29, 2008
Tip Photo

The living room and kitchen.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bungalow Parquesol.: Outside facilities.

The outside facilities at Parquesol are much nicer than being inside. There is a nice terrace with deck chairs and a table and a big parasol and lots of flowers. There are 2 small swimming pools with salt-water which were supposed to be heated, but were really cold and we were told that the heating had to be fixed. I stayed there for 3,5 weeks and only on the last days did the manager have it fixed.

Apart from that the outside facilites were lovely, a creek with water running all day long (until 18h) seperates the bungalows which face one another and it was lovely listening to it while sunbathing or talk to the neighbours across the creek. There is a pool table and enough space by the swimming pools for the whole of the guests at the bungalows to have morning gymnastic (which they did).

The reception was open at some fixed hours which I could never find out as when it was supposed to be open it was closed or vica versa. The manager did not speek any English so sign-language was needed. Sometimes though there was a woman in the reception who spoke English.

If the inside of the bungalow would have been as lovely as the outside I would stay there again.

• Written January 2, 2009

The swimming pools.

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1926

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hotel los palmitos: very nice place away from the tourist scene.

i stayed at a hotel called los palmitos.
it's situated up in the mountains away from the big tourist scene on the coast.
it's an ideal place if you want quiet surroundings, but still be active.
the place has many sports facilities.
especially the tennis facilities are very good.

it's a hotel that is quite different from most hotels you see in gran canaria as it dosen't cater to the big crowd, but to a small specialised clientele who likes an active holiday in quiet surroundings.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Hiking and Walking, Birdwatching
  • Written December 18, 2005

hotel los palmitos.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Las Camelias.: A two star (key) apartment hotel.

I stayed at Hotel Las Camelias for a month in October-November 2009. It is excellently located, by the main street in Playa del Ingles and only a few minutes walk to Yumbo center. I was very happy with my stay, although the apartment is small it was really cosy and the furniture, the pictures on the walls and the curtains were tasteful and you just felt at home (which is not always the case when staying at a hotel). The TV was a pay-per-view, i.e. one euro for one hour, so I didn´t touch that and even though I have seen such TVs at other places I still find them to be so tacky. The kitchen has a gas-stove so bring some matches in case you arrive late.

The balcony was huge and the balconies at the end of the hotel (-01) are even bigger. And one can enter them from both the bedroom and the living room which is a plus and made the apartment look bigger. The sun didn´t arrive until ca 14-18 though. I stayed at 606, I would advice you against staying at -05 as the ventilation from the very popular restaurant down-stairs runs through these balconies cutting off a part of them leaving you in the dark. This ventilation wakes you up at 5 which was a bit annoying though. The restaurant is a buffet open from 12-23 - 9,95 euros for adults and it was ever so popular and when you were sunbathing and swimming in the pool there was sometimes an audience as the restaurant is on the first floor of the hotel and sometimes guests there came into the swimming pool area of the hotel.

There are a lot of privately owned apartments at this hotel, surprisingly many, and next to us there was a couple with a small child who cried almost the entire month, so the couple next to us had to change rooms and other people were going out of their mind. As the hotel is U-shaped our room was too close to other balconies and we constantly had to draw the blinds as other people had a view straight into our bedroom. So there were a few flaws to this hotel, but all in all I was satisfied and would stay there again.

There is a 15 minutes walk to the beach (Las Dunas) and from there another 15 minutes to the ocean.

On the ground floor there is a Spar supermarket, but I found it too expensive compared to other supermarkets.

As VT only allows for 5 photos for hotels, which is way too few, I add additional photos in a travelogue here.

• Written December 5, 2009
Tip Photo

The swimming pool at Hotel Las Camelias.

• sachara profile photo sachara
  • Reviews: 3950

Gran Hotel Costa Meloneras: Pool and ocean

Gran Hotel Costa Meloneras has lovely gardens with a lot of palmtrees and all kind of flowering plants.
There are several nicely designed swimmingpools with fountains and rocks.
The most striking of all is the view from the terraces of the hotel at the water of the swimming pool with the ocean at the background.
It is so perfectly designed that it looks like the swimmingpool and the ocean are one.

• Related to: Beaches
  • Written November 17, 2003

pool and ocean

• Gerrem profile photo Gerrem
  • Reviews: 424

Hotel Costa Canaria: Great accomodation

As a child i was 6 (!) times in this hotel and it was always great. In the early 90's they renovated it .

The hotel is situated in the south of the Island of Gran Canaria in the little town San Agustin. It has a direct access to the beach and the promenade after a little walk throgh the beautiful and spectacular tropical garden of the hotel (11.000 m2).

The international airport is only 25 km away.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written August 25, 2005
Tip Photo

• tompt profile photo tompt
  • Reviews: 2523

Marbella Golf: quiet appartments with lovely gardens

Marbella golf is an appartment complex in a quiet corner of Playa del Ingles,Maspalomas. The two room appartment we had, had a kitchen / sittingroom on the groundfloor. From there you could walk in the garden, where you have some privacy as no other appartment is looking your way. On the first floor was the bedroom and bathroom. The downside of this was there is no badroom on the groundfloor, so don't drink too much beer in your garden, or you have to keep going upstairs............ ;-)
A supermarket (Spar) is 5 minutes walk away, the shoppingcentra at least 10 -15 minutes.

- The complex has a swimming pool.
The walk to the beach is about 30 minutes !!

- At the reception (open all day) they have an internet connection, for 3 Euro / 15 minutes.
Didn't use it so don't know how fast the connection is.

• Written January 30, 2005

our garden

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

Gloria Palace Amadores: Stunning Sea Views

We booked this trip on a Thursday and flew out that Saturday. We weren't expecting much and so to say that we were pleasantly surprised would be a gross understatement.

From the moment that we arrived things ran swiftly and smoothly. There were many of us checking in at once, but all our rooms were ready and glasses of sparkling wine and fruit juice quenched our thirst as we checked in.

On being shown to our room I continued to be impressed. It was very large indeed with one full wall of glass leading to a large balcony with panoramic sea view. The room was adequately furnished and the beds were very comfortable.

The entire hotel is immaculately clean. I would rise early every morning to reserve sunbeds (more of that in a moment) and there would be half a dozen staff cleaning the pool area, polishing the chrome, wiping down the tables and sunbeds.

There were two outdoor pools and an outdoor kids pool, plus an indoor pool and thalassotherapy centre. Unfortunately both outdoor pools were being repaired while we were there - one each week - so there was always a rush for sunbeds. That saying, I imagine that normally there would be plenty of beds to go around. The upper pool even has an enclosed nude sunbathing area. Also at that pool there is a very spacious snack bar with food at most reasonable prices (e.g. €2.70 for burger and salad).

There is an extensive animation programme for people of all ages. This includes varied activities such as archery, darts, aquagym, waterpolo, kids disco, nightly cabaret etc. In general it's to a high standard with noteable exceptions (in this regard I strongly advise you to avoid the very amateur mimed production of "Sister Act - the movie").

The food is of a very high standard. It's all buffet service but the menu changes nightly and there's something for every taste. In addition to a wide variety of prepared salads and hot dishes, there is also a grill area where meat and fish are fried to order. An oriental meal is available every night. Every night the buffet has a theme - French, Cuban, Canarian etc.

Outside the hotel a walkway stretches in both directions - five minutes walk to the left is the beach and village of Puerto Rico; ten minutes in the other direction is the pristine beach of Amadores.

This is a hotel that has everything for people of every age. The nicest thing of all for us was how friendly the other guests were. We made many new friends as we chatted around the piano bar every night. We will be back!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written December 26, 2008

The upper pool

• Birsen profile photo Birsen
  • Reviews: 378

Hotel Parque Tropical: Great location in Playa de ingles area

fa We just stayed last weekend in this hotel. I really enjoyed it. It was a 3 star hotel but just renovated and become a 4 star hotel now. The price was very good also. 2 people 2 nights 113 Euro and including breakfast.

Situated at the beginning of Playa del Ingles, directly looking to the sea, the Hotel Parque Tropical is central located and quiet at the same time. A small beach is only 100 metres away from hotel and about 500 metres the main beach of Playa del Ingles which is reachable through the maritime promenade that cross the urbanization following the coastline. In the same area, just a few metres near the hotel, you can find a shopping center with all kind of bars, restaurants with typical canarian specialities or international cooking, discotheques, pubs, boutiques and all type of souvenirs-shops.fa

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written February 28, 2006

• Birsen profile photo Birsen
  • Reviews: 378

El Reina Isabel Hotel: Good location 4 star

El Reina Isabel Hotel is ideally situated right on Las Canteras beachfront in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and has become one of the best hotels in the capital to spend beach vacations. However, because it is located in the central business and shopping area of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, the Reina Isabel Hotel is also the perfect business hotel.

The Reina Isabel Hotel, one of the best hotels on Gran Canaria, offers its visitors two great advantages: its strategic position in the local business world, and its prime location on the seafront, enabling its guests to enjoy their beach vacations on Las Canteras beach, where the hotel’s own sunshades and sun-loungers offer comfort and relaxation.

• Opinion of Price: about average