Avenida de Tirajana 1 , Playa del Ingles, 35100, Spain

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about IFA Catarina

the catarina melting pot

by TripAdvisor Member fran2000

just come back from a very enjoyable holiday at the catarina 02/07/2007.Staff were great ,rooms really nice and spacious, food very good and the overall feel to the hotel was pretty relaxing.There is also a chidrens club as far as i know but a mini disco was on every night and the kids loved it.What i mean by melting pot is that there were all nationalites there and all sexual persusions plus familys and grand-parents ,young couples and elderly couples.nationalites counted were northern irish, southern irish,english,scotch,welsh ,then came germans,french,dutch ,spanish,portuguese,israelis,hungarian and more that i did not recognise the languages.there is a free bus to the beach from outside hotel every day but i would recommend to go up to the first roundabout and catch the bus into Maspolomas Beach,about 5 different buses, numbers on the bus shelter.white sand,great breeze very deceptive so start with high lotion maybe 15/20 and some very nice shops for only 1 euro 10 cents single journey per adult.you can also catch the bus to the capital Las Palmas from opposite side of roundabout NO 30 to Santa Catalina square/park for about 10euro 30cents per adult.Yumbo centre best centre to go for shops .Citta Centre beside first roundabout but Yumba i think was fourth roundabout up but an abundance of shops/restaurants if you want to take a break from hotel food .Water Park not up to much but went to Sioux City and really enjoyed the night close a thousand people alot of them thought they were the cowboys but great fun with the show,line-dancing,singing and barbeque.All in all a really good break among very friendly people

Excellent Hotel for Families!

by TripAdvisor Member LindseyW-B

We have just returned from a fantastic holiday in Gran Canaria where we stayed at the Lopesan Caterina!
We flew from Manchester and there were no problems at all!We were greeted by friendly staff at the hotel who escorted us to our rooms.
The rooms were amazing, really spacious and we overlooked the pool. This was fantastic because we could watch the entertainment from our balcony!Not all rooms have this view though.
The showers were powerful and our rooms were cleaned everyday with towels and bed linen replaced.
Food was excellent with a variety of choices, meats, pasta, salads, soups, deserts everyday.
Entertainment team were great and really funny!Anything goes with them which kept everyone entertained! Bar staff friendly and made you feel welcome!
The only problem was bed reserving!Dont expect to get a bed if you dont reserve. The rule states NO BED RESERVING, but people still get away with it!
Quieter area of Playa del Ingles which suited us fine but there was still entertainment in CITA shopping area.
We recommend you go on Zig Zag Safari!Book through hotel as cheaper than agent! Fantastic day, was long but amazing and excellent value for the laughs we had!
Strongly recommend this hotel. Plenty to do, not far from the beach and shops and excellent value for money!Recommend the first two weeks of July as it started to get very busy when we left!

excellent family hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sunshineDurham

me & my husband stayed in this hotel with our 7yr old & 3yr old which they both loved mainly because of the animation team who made sure kids were entertained day & night giving us a break we were also given 28 vouchers from the hotel for the kids which you could exchange for drinks,popcorn,icelollies.
hotel was very clean & food was good im a vegatrian so there was not much choice for me as it was mainly meat or seafood which most of the salads contained aswell.
hotel has various shows on an evening after kids mini disco the magician show is not to be missed.
would recommend to buy drink vouchers for dinner as it costs about the same for 1 drink & was not charged for the 3yr old.
would recommend holiday world as it is brilliant for kids they have rides which are cheap,bowling and a british run pub that has a playstation for kids costs a few euro in a taxi to get hear.would come back to this hotel again but the resort itself does not seem to cater for families

clean rooms

by TripAdvisor Member criaana

we stayed at this hotel for to weeks from the 9th-23rd july The rooms were cleaned every day and clean towels ect, The reception staff were very friendly and as helpful as possible and the waitress/waiters were friendly but some were very hard to understand and you wouldnt always get what you ordered but never mind we had about 10 pints that were eaither a funny colour tasted funny or had bits in so watch out for thoese as we were not the only ones The pool wasnt very clean and at night the entertainment was by the pool and some children feel in and if a glass was smashed and cleaned up sometimes the next day by the pool you would cut your feet so i dont think that they should have glasses buy the pool The entainment at night was up to much most nights and we would be in at 11pm on a monday and thursday they had singers which was realy boring for the children and us and they were on for times as we were there for to weeks the entaintament was on 9.30-10.30 and then everything was finished, we went to the yumbro centre which is realy lively at night with lots of bars and shops we also went to sioux city which was a brill night expecially with the free bar i would say go as even the children love it but as most of you with teenagers i would watch that the rep doesnt charge you for and adult as you have to pay for a child over 12 in the hotel as an adult the rep charged for my 12yr old as an adult but should only had charged for a child which was an extra 24 euros

Excellent Hotel...had a great time...again..

by TripAdvisor Member Travelsn0b

Hi, just back from 7 day stay in this hotel. I am a repeat traveller to playa del ingles, since having my 2 children, ages 8 and 5.
Prior to this my husband and I travelled the world, ie far east, carribean, US, Africa and the what i would call nicer spots in europe - we were travel SNOBS !! First visited P del I because of having a 4 hr flight with 2 small kids and am I glad I did - this is a wonderful family location, I dont think I have ever encountered such child friendly, good humered and kind people anywhere else with no ulterior motive other than being NICE...
This hotel is great, all the reviews are spot on. Rooms were cleaned to a high standard every day, with linen changed once in a week. Not 1 cockroach, even though I dont mind them, all public areas totally spotless, ALL staff very helpful and efficient. The few points I noticed are:
Air conditioning - this is controlled by the balcony door, ie when the door is in the locked position ..it works, open the door and it cuts out.
Pool area - very small and slippy, with no towel hire..we had to buy towels as any hotels we had stayed in before you could hire towels. Also, proper glasses are allowed here which I dont think should be as we saw a little girl get her foot cut in the kids pool while we were there. This was dealt with very efficiently, but could have been avoided by the use of plastic cups. Also best time to get a sunbed here is about 3pm, as the others who are out since the crack of dawn all go in at that time! Bus to beach left promptly at 11.30 and arrived back at 3.15 every day.
Restaurant - get a drink voucher at the reception for your evening meal. It cost euro10.60 for 2 adults/2 kids, and you can drink what you want. great value for the kids, as they put away some amount of fizzy drinks on hols as they are deprived at home..
Food very good, well presented, well cooked and plenty of variety.
Few grumpy chefs in kitchen, but if you gave them a smile and a gracias the came to life ! noticed some of the other guests, while obviously well off, were very rude to the staff, manners cost nothing, and make all the difference to someones day !
Last thing - if you want good value shopping, take the 66 or 90 bus ( Turn left when you come out hotel door, and bus stop is at the corner of the rd) to Vencindario, the Atlantico shopping centre there has some great shops, zara, mango, Springfield etc prices much cheaper than ireland - plus a huge Carrefour, where you can get practically anything...toilitries etc very cheap here, you could easily spend days here ! I also noticed here this time, a dental clinic who do laser tooth whitening for euro120.. if I was on my own, I would deffo have gone, as its euro600 here in ireland. Just a word on doctors, go to the large clinics dotted around the town if you need one, it costs about euro70 and your follow up app is free, I discovered this on my first visit, 4 years ago. Presciptions also a fraction of the price, and in some cases, the pharmicist will dispence certain antiobiotics themselves, so for something not too serious, its worth going there first. There is a nice pharmicist in the yumbo center, if you use the entrance near the hard rock cafe you will see it on the left.
All in all a great holiday again....great hotel, lovely people, weather and food, in a nice country with all the amenities you need for travelling with children...

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kyltie

This hotel was brilliant. My boyfriend and I went away for a relaxed holiday in the sun and this is exactly what we got. The rooms were lovely and spacious and we had a great view of the pool from our balcony. The hotel facilities were excellent catering for all ages, we tried to play tennis a few times but it was just too hot! There was entertainment all day provided by the hotels animation team, who spoke several different languages fluently, ranging from pool games, aqua aerobics, and great eveing shows.
The choice of food at the restaurant was vast, again catering for children, adults and the fussy. It was never empty and I would suggest going about 7.30- 8 as this seemed to be the time when the kids had finished their dinners.
The location was good too, shops are all around for souvenirs and food. I would definetly recommend the cita centre for presents too. The hotel is a short distance from maspalomas sand dunes, and the hotel offers a free bus service to the main beach. Be careful, theres a nudist one too!
The staff at the hotel couldn't have been more helpful, even the maids always smiled and said hello. Reception speak very good english and its open 24/7.
Fantastic holiday, would definetely go back there again

Brilliant Break

by TripAdvisor Member Fozzy1986

This hotel is an excellent place to stay if you are looking for a quiet break away, where you can escape from the hustle and bustle of the busy commercial centres.

It is a short 5-10 minute walk from the centres, I recommend walking along the beach front as you can see right along the sand dunes. But if you want to take a taxi it only costs 5 euros including a tip.

I thought the food was great, and such a large selection which differed each night excluding the usual favourites such as chips and pasta etc. If I hadnt wanted to go and try out a few restaraunts then me and my girlfried could have easily eaten their each night quite happily. I recommend El Gaucho's if you are eating out, wonderful service and even better food!!

The hotel is lovely, it is cleaned daily and cleaned very well! Our cleaner even made our towels into swans! The rooms are simple but very spacious with a lovely bathroom. The balcony is a good size to relax and have a drink on at night as it faces in the direction of the sun set which is very pleasant.

We did a few things while we were there...we went go karting, camel riding(smelly but fun), a couple of markets. We went to a market in San Fernando which is ok, nothing special and we also went to one in Puerto Rico which is a beautiful place, its nicknamed Little Venice and its easy to see why. Take the bus though as we took a taxi and got stung 35 euros, the bus is good as you can see right over the edge of the cliffs, but if your not a good traveller then dont look out the windows.

Meloneras which is a 5minute taxi journey away is lovely aswell, its slightly upmarket with nice shops and lovely restaurants along the front, Grand Italia is another reccomendation. There is also a smallish casino there which hosts a Las Vegas Show, I got dragged by my girlfriend and I had my doubts but it was very good and worth seeing, and the little trip to the casino after was enjoyable and paid dividends!!

All in all, a wonderful holiday staying in a wonderful hotel!

Absolutely terribble !!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member thomasBirmingham

Warning do not go to this hotel. This hotel is stuck in the 70's and is absolutely terrible. We have just returned from two weeks at this hell hole. Where do I start, the food is cold and there is not much choice, the show cooking food is not cooked properly my son was given chicken that was raw in the middle. The fruit is rotten. There is no fresh juice at breakfast only diluted concentrated rubbish. The restaurant stafff do not speak English. The air conditioning does not work and when you complain to reception they will tell you there is nothing they can do. On a number of occasions during our stay the pool area was not cleaned from the night before and there was food and broken glass around the edge of the pool. There are broken tiles around the pool and the ladder feels like it is going to break off.
The rooms are clean but very very basic and the reception area is very poor with plastic work surfaces and fake plants.
I do not know why this hotel is being offered as a four star. In the only womens toilet there is a massive hole in the ceiling which has been there for weeks. When we approached our rep she said she had reported many problems with this hotel but they where never fixed.
I can only emphasise DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL unless you like tacky entertainment with children falling into the swimming pool and very very very poor quality rotten food.
We would never go to this hotel again and are currently after compensation for our terrible stay. Other people staying at this hotel actually had to pay extra to move out and stay somewhere else. Unfortunately we could not afford to do this.

Hated this dump so much had to pay to be moved to a decent hotel !

by TripAdvisor Member Tracey_HCheshire

We arrived at this hotel at 9.30pm and when I went to my room it was not what I ordered. I had asked for a family room or an interconnecting room but was presented with 2 single beds and a double sofa bed. I immediately went down to reception who were really unhelpful and asked me to ring my travel agent. I pointed out that they would not be there at 9.30 at night ! I then told him that I would pay for another room as I had my 15 yr old niece and 8 yr old son with me and it would be inappropiate for them to sleep in the same bed together. Again he was really unhelpful and offered no solution to my dilema.

We were then offered a cold buffet and told to go to the resturant to get our meal. If was absoluting revolting some cold un-identified seafood dish. My niece is allergic to seafood and my son and I hate fish so we went back to reception who then arranged for us to eat at the pool bar. We were then given a bread roll ,2 wilted lettuce leaves , 2 olives a tomato and some rubbery cheese. went went to bed hungry hoping that the breakfast would be better in the morning.

Breakfast was disgusting ! Sloppy scrambled eggs , solidfied beans , rubber sausages and bacon with more fat on it that rick waller !

Dinner was the same repetitive undercooked slop everynight and when you ordered drinks the staff always got it wrong as the could not speak english.

The pool was ok but the pictures are really deceiving making it look larger and more attractive than what it actually was. One day 2 workman were arc welding some ralings next to the pool and sparks were flying everywhere the kids had to run past them with towels wrapped around them so then did not get injured ! On another day a power cable was plugged into the outside toilets where kids could trip or worst be electricuted it water dripped on them as there was no breaker attached. Have they heard of health and safety !!

The entertainment at night was hideous I really cannot decribe how bad it was. I was totally geared towards the Germans who were all really enjoying it .

I only stayed at this hotel for 4 days and paid to go to Dunas Suites which was really nice.

This hotel is a very poor 3 star and every english person we met hated it . They all said that like myself they could not believe some of the reviews that people had given saying that it was nice and had rated it 5 what planet were these people on !

Very nice place

by TripAdvisor Member beseeinyou

We were here for the first week in April 2007 and firstly the weather was outstanding, in fact almost too hot with zero cloud cover except for one day.

We were in Room 167, it doesn’t have much of a view, it overlooks the play and garden areas but is mostly obscured by the trees and bushes etc. The room was fairly well sized with new fixtures etc., the TV has only 2 English channels, the mini fridge is good for storing drinks, a decent sized balcony has small table, chairs and wall mounted washing line. The sofa converted to a double bed for our child and was comfy. There are plenty of hangers in the built in wardrobes which also contains a large safe which costs 2 Euros per day (14 for the week).The bathroom is as new and well appointed, a minor point was that the bath plug was missing and never got reported by the cleaners to maintenance, it is a good powerful shower but watch out as periodically it goes very hot, then very cold, before stabilising again. The room was cleaned every day with a nice touch being arranging our child’s pyjamas and teddies on the beds.

The main pool area is popular but if you’re not too late you can get a spot and the pool itself is good as it is heated.

Breakfast has a good choice, lots of fresh bread, cheeses, cold meats, cereals, fruit etc., also hot food but I didn’t care for the German type sausage and the bacon was very fatty but the egg man is fantastic, he non-stop makes fried eggs and omelettes, very good indeed. There’s also a selection of pastries. In the evening there is again a wide selection with fresh meat and fish cooked on the grill in front of you. You can also buy a voucher at reception for unlimited beer, wine & soft drinks during your meal, at 3.30 Euros I thought this was great value. The prices at the pool bar are also reasonable with daily happy hours / specials etc.

We actually ate out a couple of nights for a change of scene. The Hard Rock Cafe, whilst walkable, is only a short taxi ride and was excellent and we tried the Chinese just up from the hotel before the roundabout, also very good.

We took the local bus up to the Waterpark, it is easy to do as the bus passes the roundabout just up from the hotel. We didn’t stay long though as none of the water is heated and it is so cold it’s virtually unusable, only for the very brave!

The sand dunes are mighty impressive and only 5 mins away, the main beach is about another 10/15 mins and is large & clean though it was very windy when we were there, and the much talked about nudist area is well marked and hard to stumble across if you wish to avoid and believe me most of the sights there are worth avoiding!

I would certainly return to this hotel in the future and we have actually booked for Gran Canaria again next Easter but we are going to try the Gloria Amadores at Puerto Rico this time.

The jeeps, halfway up the mountainThe jeeps, halfway up the mountain

Ruth on the hike to Pico ViejoRuth on the hike to Pico Viejo

Barranco de MascaBarranco de Masca

Pico ViejoPico Viejo

Costa Del Silencio

by Jennifer.Wright

Does anyone know of the Residencial Costa Sol apartments in Silencio and could give me some idea what they are like. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Costa Del Silencio

by prutske

Hello, I aim owner of one apartment in costasol and i must tell you that the complex is very nice and selected.the complex is recent and well done. If you want to see some pictures i can send them to you by email.My email is bonamie.gino@skynet.be and i aim from belgium but a englisch lady take care of my apartement. She cleaned and help you if you have any questions.The swimmingpool is large and nice.there are shop in the arena and you're about 10 minuts from the airport.

Comments