Aparthotel Aquarius

BelleVue Aquarius
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Isla de Lanzarote

Cute hotel lizardCute hotel lizard

A sunny afternoon on PapagayoA sunny afternoon on Papagayo

Two windows on the edge of volcano craterTwo windows on the edge of volcano crater

mammacarlamammacarla

Carnival

hello,

can anyone tell me dates and details about the carnival 2011 in Puerto del Carmen?
Any advice (from a local perhaps) or tip pointers about this festival, what to expect?

by ranger49

Hi - the dates are 10 - 12 March inclusive. VT member lomi lives in Lanzarote and has sevral pages/tips about the Island should you need more local information. Lucky you- escaping these dreary end of winter weeks:) Have fun at the Carnival!

by ATLC

Too late, I'll be back by then.
But I thought Ash Wednesday is 9 March 2011? Means that Carnival should be before that, right?
I asked because I'm not too familiar with the catholic calendar.

by ranger49

Yes - you are right about Ash Wednesday - unusual for a Carnival to be held in Lent. I'll see if I can check those dates out again.

by ranger49

A-T - you have probably checked it yourself by now but every site I've found gives those same dates in the first week of Lent.
The pre -Easter Carnivals and Fiestas in Spain that I have been to have been the weekend before Ash Wednesday.

by ranger49

I meant to quote thos site

by ATLC

I'll be there until Sunday March 6th. So I may experience it or just miss it.
But I would like to know.
Would it be a very noisy, nightly affair for days on end? I would be sort of happily anticipating and slightly dreading it.

by ATLC

Thanks. I've also e-mailed lomi. I'd already come across her pages.

by ranger49

The first Carnival I went to was in Nerja about20 years ago. We were all very impressed with every aspect of it, It was colourful, imaginative, organised and great fun. We stayed until after midnight and there were still families with small children in the Square and the Balcon. No aggro, no drunkeness, a real joy.
It seemed noisier a couple of years later and a younger member of the family who was with us the first time and goes back to Nerja almost every year (since her honeymoon there),says it is much bigger and she thought the ex-pat community are more involved in the organisation these days. But recently she has fallen in love with Lanzarote,only cane back two weeks ago and was disappointed to miss the Carnival.
I'm sure lomi will be able to help with up to the minute info.

by mustertal

The main carnival is held in Arrecife only a short bus ride away 7-9th March, usually starts about 6pm, but get there early.

by ATLC

Thanks thanks. Looks like I'll miss it then. Am leaving March 6th.

Travel Tips for Isla de Lanzarote

Here is the car park at the cactus garden

by rachel_sun

Here is the car park at the cactus garden,you will not miss it,just look for the giant cactus. I went to the Gardin De Cactus(cactus garden)and enjoyed it very much.It has over 1400 varities of cactuses and a nice bar,which does food and a gift shop.I found this place very exciting and it is cheap to get in.It is open daily.In total,there are over 10,000 plants here and some of the cactus are huge.

tel- 928 52 93 97

opens from -daily 10-7pm(summer)
winter- 10-6pm Cesar Manrique done up this old quarry into a beautiful cactus garden.The first thing you notice is the huge 8 feet tall metal cactus in the car park.The garden is an oval shape and has terraces.There is a huge mixture of cacti and it took me over two hours just walking around and looking.The gardens were spotless too.So many different types too.Tall ones, prickly ones,spider like ones,flowering ones, furry ones etc.There is an old windmill on a hiill over looking the entire gardens and as far as i know its still used to grinding grain.
The restaurant bar here was very nice and i enjoyed sipping a nice malibu and coke while enjoying the beautiful gardens.

Relax

by Madasabull

If there was ever a place to relax, this was it. We didn’t want to go home. We were there for two weeks, and we could have easily stayed there another month. We went in January, and it was probably the quietest time of the year, and maybe even the coolest, at about 75 degrees.
But the best bit was defiantly that it wasn’t over crowded.

Beautiful beaches all around Lanzarote

by rachel_sun

At the Jameos del Agua there are also the worlds only blind Albino crabs.I enjoyed having lunch here at the cafe.Food was delicious and a good price.
Concerts are held here,in the cave section and it seats 500 people.This place is mysterious,with lots of little paths and plant beds.This place turns into a nightclub on Tuesday,Friday and Saturday.Concerts and lectures are also held here on occasion. tel- 928 83 50 10

open from july-sept-daily from 9.30-7pm.....oct-june daily from 11-6.45.....also tues,fri,sat from 7pm-3am(nightclub and restaurant)

This place is very unusual and again i really liked it.Cesar Manrique had great taste and flair and i found everything he did really nice and kind of exotic as well as modern.

[HOUELLEBECQ's 'Platform' my journey companion]

by pikuu

Why I took Houellebecq's book "Platform" with me on Lanzarote? I don't know. Maybe because it was the smallest book on my shelf called: "read them necessarily". Anyway I hadn't special purposes to take just this book with me.

Reading it, slowly I become convinced that "Platform" was great choice. Why?

"Platform" is the controversial story with some obscene and sexual elements. But one of main plots is strictly connected with modern style of tourism. Visiting Lanzarote and reading Houellebecq I can compare the author's ideas and mass culture criticism with real situations, places and behaviors.

Lanzarote is not a place such devastated by tourist industry than other destinations. But even visiting this place, relativly free from mass tourist invasions I have to agree with Houellebecq ideas. Most of people with big smile take all the stuff, which travel agencies push in. And even more... they expect that the industry will give them this all "splendid holidays kit' including artificial natives, German pubs on Majorca and tours around island: from shopping mail to the heritage parks and from aquaparks to the ancient excavations.

Great novel not only for vacation!

P.S. Big surprise!!! Looking for info about Houellebecq I found that he wrote the novel called.... LANZAROTE. It sounds like magic. Totally by coinsidence I took with me Houellebecq "Platform" and reading it I compared author's ideas with island's reality. And... at the same time existed the same writer's book devoted just for Lanzarote. I've already ordered it from net-bookstore :))

Drinking Water Guide

by lomi

Lanzarote and Water

Lanzarote is a dry island, with hardly any water resources. The island suffers chronic drought. Help originally came by sea: a tanker brought fresh water in its holds, which was then transported, on the backs of horses, to wherever it was needed. There are still cistern fields, check dams, storage tanks, banked fields, cross-terraced fields, etc., to be seen, which bear testimony to the difficult days gone by.

THE SOLUTION FROM THE SEA
Although Lanzarote is completely surrounded by sea - it is salt water, and cannot be used for agriculture or human consumption. The only solution is to eliminate the salt from seawater - desalination - and turn it into fresh water.

WHAT IS A DESALINATION PLANT?
Basically, the seawater is filtered in tanks, installed near the seashore. Then the water is pumped through filters - sand and purifying materials - where the water is freed from any substances it may be carrying. Then the water is sent under high pressure to the membranes where the miracle occurs: on one hand salt-free water comes out, the fresh water, whilst on the other, the rest of the water carries off the salt brine.

CAN YOU DRINK THE WATER?
The water is completely safe to drink. But many people do not like the taste. Almost all the locals invariably drink bottled water.

You shouldn't drink water from public spouts and fountains unless there is a sign saying 'Aqua Potable'. But you will more often see signs saying 'Aqua Non Potable', 'Water Not Drinkable'. In bars, supermarkets or restaurants ask for 'agua sin gas' (still) or 'agua con gas' (sparkling).

Comments