2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about Bitacora Club

great hol

by TripAdvisor Member YorksKatkat

read lots of bad reviews on here and other websites after booking our hol, was pretty worried about what to expect. However we arrived to find a clean, very spacious apartment, sufficient to our needs for a week, fresh towels and bedding and adequate cooking facilities inc 3 hobs and a fridge freezer. We were loated around the second pool behind teh pain pool area and it was perfect for sunbathing in peace away from main pool however this area too was nice with music playing alday and the bar open for drinks etc. was also restaurant tho never tried it. the reception staff were very friendly and were great at gettng us taxis down to teh strip, we walked during teh day but come night time in heels we werent that adventurous. the hill is a steep one however never proved t be a problem and if anything it wa sa good way to do some exercise during day after lazing around the pool. there was a great supermarket on it too, 2 mins walk from apartment. The location of apartments was 10 min walk to strip. taxis were 2 euros. the apartments had internet access and a small supermarket, not open very often though. maid service was 3 times a week, sufficient enough. Problem we came across was security, we had no problems personally but nextdoor were robbed, we felt tho with a safety deposit box and locked doors etc there was minimal risk even to 2 women travelling alone. on teh whole though i would definetely recommend the Bitacora apartments.

Bit to hell at the Bitacora

by TripAdvisor Member dazclark1905

The Bitacora Club Apartments in Lanzarote are deceiving. Upon arriving we were pleasantly surprised by both the apartment and the rest of the establishment. The pool looked nice enough, the staff were friendly enough and the reception area looked clean. But its not until you get settled in that you begin to notice the real problems. Let me run through just a few of them:-

1) The beds are extremely uncomfortable. They rub against your skin due mainly to the extremely thick plastic sheeting that covers the matress. You wake up in the dead of night almost stuck to it in sweat. There is also the suspicious nature of the bites you find on your skin when you waken. Upon my last count when I returned home there were 11. Not nice at all.

2) The pool bar is open for an hour in the morning. It then shuts so the lady can go into the restaurant and help out with the full boarders serving lunch. After about two hours the pool bar reopens but many of the sunbathers have disappeared, apparently parched and having took themselves off to the beach or bed or the supermarket to get a much needed drink.

3) The supermarket attached to the property runs along the sae lines and is only open when they are not catering to people booked in on half board, full board or all inclusive. We were self catering and the food didn't look the best when we stampeded into the restaurant desperate in our search for a drink.

The problem is that there is nowhere close to get a drink - it's a good ten minutes walk down a steep hill to access another supermarket or cafe or bar or any establishment where you CAN buy a drink.

They have a vending machine within the apartment block but alas this only holds crisps or chocolate.

If you are a camel and or have some way of storing water within your body that you can access later then the Bitacora may suit you. In fact, if you are a Camel you will thoroughly enjoy it because those animals appear to be quite tolerant of flying insects that bite.

I'll not be back.

not bad for the price, but glad i didn't pay more!

by TripAdvisor Member Louiseinnewcastle

I have just returned from a week at the Bitacora club having gone on 26th April with 2 friends.

We only paid £160 for our holiday (including flights), and I can honestly say that I have stayed in worse appartments, and paid more, but the bitacora club is very basic and I am glad we did not pay more than we did.

The actual apartments themselves were ok. The maid came a few times over the week. The beds weren't particularly comfortable, but fairly standard for a 2* accommodation.

My main grumble is with the level of service offered. The supermarket never seemed to be open- it certainly didn't stick to the advertised times. The pool bar closed for most of the afternoon, when hundreds of spanish pensioners arrived for lunch in the restaurant. I would certainly agree with previous reviewers comments that the British got much less service than other nationalities. I am glad we were self catering, as other holiday makers were less than impressed with the food and service when they were half board.

The pool bar served fairly average snacks- when they could be bothered to open it. The staff never seemed to happy to serve us though.

The hill mentioned in previous reviews (cardiac hill, as one barmaid described it) is very steep, but not too bad if you're youngish and fit-ish. I wouldn't fancy doing it with a buggy or someone with any mobility problems. We did discover an alternate route to the beach on our last night,which brings you out at the other end of the strip.

On the whole, the apartments are ok, and I wasn't disappointed with them, but I would have been if we hadn't got them so cheap (I think other people there payed a lot more). The service leaves a lot to be desired though. Hopefully they will employ more staff over the summer period, so that the supermarket is open for more than 20 minutes a day and the pool bar is open over lunch time.

Incidentally, the hundreds of spanish pensioners all looked very happy with their experience of Bitacora!!

O dear, o dear !

by TripAdvisor Member beachysnscream

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week in this hotel half board. I was pleased with our apartment it seemed clean and well looked after. However, it was alarming to see what only can I describe as 'rent a kill'. in broad day light fumigating the drains with masks on, as their innocent guests breathed in the the possible toxic fumes. And, then witnessing the deaths of hundreds of cockroaches attempting to commit 'harri carri' around the poolside. Enough to put me off breakfast - I wish ! 'Breakfast' ( I think that was whats it's called!) now,call me old fashioned but not a bacon buty in sight), consisted of a dried up bread roll of and some unfathonable meat. We had a few days of 'porta del carmen deli belly' and Im pretty certain that is why..
Reception staff were I felt rude and unhelpful. We asked about local bus services, and were given no guidance except they were unreliable. 20 mins later by our own means, we found out that bus routes were available around the Island, on a regular basis. Receptionists would walk off in the middle of a conversation , yakk away on the phones, as we stood like fools or, there simply wasn't anyone even manning the desks. They couldnt do enough for other nationalities. maybe they tipped better ! my opinion but we found that basic information such as ,what time we should eat was not given.Do not expect any form of entertainment uness your over 60 and into waltzing. I disagree with the comments that this is for young couples and familes, nothing caters for this.
We wont ever return, this is not about geography, yes that hill to the beach which granted is a killer, nor about Lanzarote it's beauty and its people who we loved outside the complex. This comes down to the staff not making their British guests feel welcome.

dont stay here!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bdixon

July 2007

I have just returned from a week in Lanzarote and thankfully only ended up staying 3 nights in these apartments, but was unfortunatly 3 nights too long. My first impression of these apartments was not good, the pool was dirty, the rooms were dirty and it looked like you'd catch something. I was disgusted with the apartments but did not expect what would happen to us. On the second night our apartment got broken into and i woke up to see the theif standing in our room. It was one of the worst experiences of my life and totally ruined our holiday. We reported it to reception straight away and to be fair they were quite helpful. The police came within 5 minutes but nothing was done to reassure us and we were left in the apartment unable to sleep for the night. After asking to be moved the next day they said nothing suitable would be available until the following day, but after kicking up such a fuss we eventually got moved to a courtesy room... which, unbelievably we found out the next day could be opened by lifting up the door after it had been locked. After moving rooms for the third time, we still did not feel safe. Then when i could not stand it anymore we demanded to move hotels.
Please dont stay here. Especially if you have kids, our break in was the fourth in 3 days, 2 of the rooms that were broke in were asleep with their kids in the room.

good for what i paid

by TripAdvisor Member Jadeandzoe

me and my best mate stayed in these apartments for two weeks beginning 12th of July. we arrived very late at night and the reception staff were very helpful. we were placed in the block across the road from the main apartments and we thought that this would be more quiet. the room was good with good kitchen equipment and was very tidy. the maid came in every day and made our beds and changed our towels (they should only do this twice a week so we were impressed) it was only at 4am that morning did we discover the building site that was next to these apartments (lorries reversing outside our window at 4am) but it was not for long. it was only on day 5 when the pneumatic drill was fired up at 7am that i flew down to reception in my pyjamas and demanded to be moved. the receptionist said that it was not possible for there to be noise at the time and i offered to take him back to my room to listen to it! it was then that he moved us to the main block away from the noise. our room was bigger and better and we were happy with the move. unfortunatly the maid was not as good as the one across the road as she only can once over a whole week!

the apartments are up a very steep hill with various supermarkets along it and i would suggest you use these rather than the very expensive apartment supermarket (which was open as and when the lady pleased) having been in lanzarote before i knew alternative routes to get down to the sea front which bi-passed the huge hill!

i have been going to Lanzarote for 6 years and have never ever been bitten by anything but staying this time we were bitten at least 5 times a day. i can only put it down to something in the apartments (i wonder if other guests had been letting the local cats into their rooms)

the pool at the main block was very large and appeared to be very clean and they checked the levels every morning. lots of sunbeds but no shade as the parasols were made of what appeared to be see through net! the pool at the smaller block was much more quite but again no shade. this pool vas very deep and not good for small children.

we were self catering and thank god for that!!!! we had a sneak look at the buffet breakfast (5 euros) and we decided to walk down the hill and get one on the sea front for two euros fifty. we had a hang over one day and decided not to attempt the hill so asked for some chips from the pool bar only to be told that they dont sell chips!!!!! we settled on a pizza which cost 4 euros and my god wen it arrived i nearly fell off my bar stool! it can only be described as a frozen Netto pizza with fat rather that ham on the top. i would advise you not to eat here if you are self catering.

the reception staff were helpful and friendly but this cannot be said for the lady who runs the pool bar during the day. she would ignore you as you stood at the bar and would be on her mobile phone. when she eventually came over she would harldy speak, snatch your money off you and one day we stood for ten minutes to get our change back as she stood talking to a builder fixing the bar door. we were not impressed!!

there is no evening entertainment at the apartments which i was quite surprised at, we expected something at least once a week (not that we minded as we went out at 11pm and did not get back til about 4am) the bars are all at the bottom of the steep hill but we got many taxi's. a taxi to the front at 11pm cost 2.80 and back again at 4am cost about 3.10. during the day a taxi from the main strip was 2.00 and from the harbor/shopping centre 2.50. we got them lots to avoid the walk.

overall the apartment was good value for what we paid and we spent most of our time at the beach or around the small pool. if you are self catering you will be ok as you are free to go off and do your own thing, sorry for all of those who are half board as the food is awful!!

Lovely complex, beautiful island, but a shame about the security

by TripAdvisor Member EssexDonkeys

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Bitacora in July of 2007. We are both 19 and had a great two weeks in Lanzarote. We booked a self catering package deal with First Choice and couldn't fault them whatsoever, from the travel agent through to Mark, the rep at the appartments. After reading a few of the reviews on here before we left, we were unsure on what to expect, but were pleasently surprised.

The Bitacora is split in two/three sections, the main complex being the busiest, behind that there is another pool and across the road a third. We stayed in the main complex after requesting a pool view when we initially booked, something we would reccomend as it doesn't cost and we feel overall the benefits are better. The appartments themselves were basic, but clean and spacious and cleaned every other day. We had a fridge freezer, hobs, kettle, and toaster but tended not to eat at the appartments, eating out was easier and a lot less hassle. We also had a TV but with only one English speaking channel, CNN, we hardly watched it. The rooms do not have air conditioning which is a real downer as it can get really hot during the night and this becomes quite uncomfortable to sleep. At reception, you can hire many items during your stay. For example an air cooling unit, microwave, DVD player, Playstation etc.

In our opinion, the complex are located perfectly, only a 3/4 minute walk down to the main strip where there are plenty of bars/restaurant/clubs. Although this walk can easily turn into 10/15 minutes on the way back due to the hill, but this isn't as bad as people make out. A taxi will only cost around 2 or 3 Euro's to get back after a night out. The on-site supermaket we found to be slighty expensive, but we expected that anyway. The nearest other supermarket is a 30 second walk down the hill, and sells daily papers.

The pool is an average size and is cleaned every day by the caretakers who in general, look after the complex very well. The staff are friendly and speak English so there is no worries there. We would not reccomend the Bitacora for families due to the lack of (or no) entertainment. This turned out to be perfect for us though, as we were looking for somewhere quiet to stay during the day. When we stayed there was about 4 nights of limited evening entertainment. The poolside snack bar does good food, burgers, pizzas etc, all reasonably priced.

The main problem we found with the Bitacora was the security. We had previously read reviews where people had highlighted this, and this definately showed. The door locks can be very easily broken in to and the complex was raided on numerous occassions when we stayed. We awoke one night to find people banging on our window and trying to force a way in, only to walk down to the reception area a few hours later to find it had been raided and the receptionist held at knife point. We did report this to the police but they brushed the issue aside and were not interested (suggesting this sort of behaviour is normal and frequent).

Lanzarote itself is great, and the resort of Peurto Del Carmen is by far the liveliest and best for a good base location. We definately recommend the Catamaran excursion and you have to go to the national park too. The Tequise market on a Sunday morning is a must, great to grab all the presents and a bacon sarnie. The water park is not as bad as some people make out, but there is no grass to lay on so you are forced to pay for a sunbed. The beach and the sea are lovely, only 8 Euros for two sunbeds and an umbrella, but make sure you wear flip flops because the sand can become extremely hot. Rancho Texas was ok, but not a whole days worth, literally it will take you 3 hours (if that) and you have seen enough. If you do visit, then you must watch the eagle show as the fly really low and brush the top of your head! The go-karting track is good too, it cost us about 25 Euros in a taxi there and back. The local bus service is cheap, and great if you want to get around a bit and explore other resorts such as Costa Teguise and Playa Blanca.

Overall, we recommend the Bitacora as a budget holiday as the complex itself is really nice and is situated in a great location within walking distance of anything you need. As mentioned above, entertainment is poor and children will get bored, but if you are not concerened about these, the Bitacora is perfect. Just ensure you invest in a safe and make sure all windows/doors are locked. We would also not reccomend leaving your key at reception whilst you are out as this is how thiefs tried to get into a few appartments. We would return to the Bitacora again if security is tightened.

Will be going back

by TripAdvisor Member YorkshireSpangle

Good place to stay, 4 of us aged between 48 and 62 have just returned from a lovely relaxing holiday. We all agreed the apartments were super !!! Friendly, helpful staff and taxis available at the drop of a hat.
I booked the holiday in a bit of a rush and then read the reviews, a big mistake !! I was really concerned, but let me assure anyone who has booked this hotel not to worry. The place is spotless, we stayed in rooms 170 and 171, overlooking the smaller of the pools, an excellent spot. Yes, there is a steep hill to climb, but it's very short , I am certainly not the fittest of people,and I didn't find it a problem. We were really sorry to leave and wished we booked 14 days, we will be booking to return in the very near future and taking a few more friends with us.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member weenireeni

Booked holiday through sunmaster. After reading some of these reviews I was dreading the worst! BUt the place was clean, rooms average sizes and the pool seemed clean. The hotel is located on a hill, so don't pack high heels! 5 mins walk to beach/bars/shops. However I was pleased with the apartment because we didn't pay a lot, if you want somewhere plush, choose a different hotel!

Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Pubclown

We stayed for one week in October at a cost of £153 for a one bedroom apartment. The complex is well maintained but could do with a refurbishment, (we were told that it was last done in 2000, but we suspect that was when they finally finished the job!)
It is located in a quiet part of Puerto del carmen in between several Timeshare/Holidayclub complex's that have their own pool bars. We were quite welcome at these and were glad of it because the pool bar at Bitacora was Spanish run and therefore at times it was hard to find anyone to buy a drink from!
On the whole though the apartments are good value for money,we had no problems with security as we hired a safe, (a week for £8) and there was a security guard patrolling at night
the pools are clean and safe ,plenty of sunbeds, but no parasols the reception staff are very helpfull ,anything that you have forgot to bring you can rent from them, eg hairdryer £7 a week
So there you have it,, cheap but everything is extra!

Comments