ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote

NICE WINTER BREAK

by TripAdvisor Member JamieNottingham

We have just returned from the club hotel riu paraiso lanzarote, in playa de los pocillos. Overall my girlfriend and i enjoyed our stay and had a nice winter break. However first impressions didn't live up to our expections.

We booked through thomas cook finnesse, and decided to pay an extra £65 each for a superior room. After checking in, the porters took our cases to the room. The room was clean, and spacious but the furniture looked rather dated and a little shabby. The view from our balcony was shocking... No sea or pool view, just trees!. After paying the extra supplement for our holiday we asked if we could change rooms. In general the reception staff were friendly, but one particular lady working on reception that day was very rude and was shocked that we wanted to change rooms. We was told that the hotel was full and we couldn't change until the next day. However after changing rooms the next day we decided to make the most of the holiday. The room was smaller but the view was much better. Though wouldn't call it 'superiour'

The food at the hotel is good, but very repetative and after a while you get fed up with eating the same thing day in day out. The facilities, pool areas, service, location and entertainment were second to none. The food was okay, but the accommodation let the hotel down. The hotel consists of 2 buildings, connected by an external walk way/bridge. The main building which houses the reception seemed to be more modern. Our block didn't have a reception, but had a pool and restaurant and seemed to have a more relaxed atmosphere. Though you could tell that the decor needed a re vamp. The weather was pretty good considering it was february.. Though expect a few cloudy days. The blue dolphin trip to fueteventura is a must for a change of scene.

The riu hotel group is owned by the german chain, so the hotel mainly catered for german holidaymakers. I wouldn't rate this hotel as a finesse property, and i wouldn't recommend paying the extra room supplement. All in all a good hotel, but needs a good re vamp. Would go again, but wouldn't pay the amount of money we paid.

Paraiso = paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member jarednmaddy

Spent a week with a girl friend at RIU Paraiso in October 2006 and had a wonderful time. Enjoyed it so much we are staying at a RIU hotel in Malta next month. The food was excellent, especially the Asian restaurant and the potatoes and mojo sauce that is a local dish. Food was very varied and always available. Room was small, but adequate and clean. Did not spend much time there. Nighttime shows are entertaining, and there was plenty of alcohol. Did not participate in any of the daytime animation. Spent most of the days at the pool, across the street at the beach, or in town shopping. Spa packages are reasonably priced, and the spa service was heavenly. Would definitely recommend this hotel! I don't think there is anything bad I can say about it.

Trouble in Paraiso

by TripAdvisor Member marked121

Booked our honeymoon in the Paraiso in Playa de la Pocillos through Budget Travel who have this as part of their "something special" package. Spent a lot of time humming and hawing over where we would stay in lanzarote but this seemed a great choice. On our arrival in the hotel the porters and receptionists were warm and friendly and then proceeded to book us into the dingiest room I have ever seen in my entire life. I am by no means a complainer, but we booked a hotel room for our honeymoon (which reception knew because it was in their diary) and they put us in a self catering apartment with a rusty bath, dodgy electrics, a leaking ceiling and a kiddie pool literally right outside the front door. Bad start to the honeymoon. We then rang travel agent rep who told us to meet her in reception in 15 mins. She arrived and gave them a hiding for putting us there. Now because all other rooms were taken we only had a choice of two basic hotel rooms. At the sight of the first new room my wife started to cry which you can imagine makes you angry. The second room was pokey but not as bad as the first one. We had no other choice but to take it. Very bad experience.

I must say that the entertainment staff there during the day do a good job. Nice and well motivated and good football matches to play in. About 90 - 95% of the people staying would be german. Trust me on this. They are quite ignorant, wouldn't smile or say hello in corridors while passing.
Out of our week there we ate in three nights. One in the andalucia (avoid at all costs), one in the buffet (nice enough) and one in the asian restaurant (great and very professional). Avoided the night entertainment and bars in the hotel (really poor and full of grumpy germans). Lanzorote itself though is a beautiful island with great restaurants (fillet steak out of this world!) and many great bars. But please and seriously, avoid Riu Paraiso at all costs.

Fab winter break

by TripAdvisor Member darrenSouthWales

Stayed at the Riu Paraiso with my wife and two boys - aged 7 and 13 from the 18th Feb for 7 nights.
Having read the reviews was fearing a bad experience but what a pleasant surprise.
We stayed in the Palace part of the hotel which is the more luxurious of the two former seperate hotels.Rooms adequate and spotlessly clean - first time Ive felt compelled to tip the chamber maid at the end of the holiday.
The food - fantastic.I can only think that people have previously been negative due to the fact that they give you so much choice every meal time and when you have just about everything every meal time - that can be classed by some as repetitive!
Pools and sunbeds,no problem but too cold to stay in for too long.
Entertainment ok- choice of the relaxed resident singers in the Palace end or the kids disco and more varied and louder entertainment the other end.
The All inclusive package- very good value.The spirits choice was limited- no Malibu but had Beefeater Gin and Smirnoff vodka but got to ask for these otherwise you get the local stuff.The cocktails ready made and not very strong but otherwise beer,house wines and soft drinks generally very good and plentiful.
The weather was the icing on the cake-mainly warm and sunny with occasional cloud.
We will certainly be returning as overall an excellent choice for a week's winter break.

A month at the Paraiso

by TripAdvisor Member limousin

We have just returned from the Riu Paraiso hotel at Playa los Pocillos Lanzarote. We were there from the 1st February to the 1st March. We went with some reservations given the mixed reports from other reviews on trip advisor. We had booked the month through the Riu central booking office in Spain.

When we arrived we were allocated a very large suite (we had booked a junior suite) with two bathrooms, a lounge and a separate bedroom. The problem was that the room had not been refurbished and was quite tired. I was not happy to stay there for a whole month. The next morning we went to see the manager of the hotel , Manuel Ortega, who was excellent. He firstly offered us to move to another Riu hotel. We wanted to be near to Puerto del Carmen so that was not the best solution. He then got the porter to show us many other rooms and suites. We looked at one on the 3rd floor which had just been refurbished which we then accepted. This was all on the Palace side of the hotel. We had two balconys so we had the sun from sunrise to sunset which was great. Our room was 500 metres from the reception desk but we only went there for more water (1 litre bottles supplied as you wanted them which could be stored in the fridge in the room). On the whole the reception staff were very helpful and pleasant. There was a safe in the room at no extra charge. The management staff were impressive, often visible with a hands on approach.

The hotel in general is very clean. Towels changed daily and bedlinen changed 3 times a week. Yes it does need constant painting and is a bit like the Forth Bridge and the upkeep must be a constant nightmare for the staff. The Palace side of the hotel is quieter and is more upmarket. This side of the hotel was only joined by a bridge and walkways to the Paraiso last year and so the staff and decor are better. The Paraiso side is probably better for families as this is where the action takes place. The food is better on the Palace side as well. The very wide ranging buffet is reasonable and in a month's stay we could usually find something that was very acceptable. The on the spot cooking is good as you can ask for your fish/meat/eggs/pancakes to be freshly cooked if you did not mind waiting. The drinks were excellent. Real Coke and Sprite and Fanta etc. and in the bars the cocktails and liquers were the real thing - I was quite surprised about this. So really the food was alot better than we expected as this was our first stay in an all inclusive hotel and we did not think it would be very good. The Andalusian and Grill restaurants were not alot different and not very exciting but the Asian restaurant was excellent. You need to book at reception in advance for these restaurants.

The staff were excellent and very helpful and friendly. The weather was very good and we hired a car and saw alot of this unusual island with all its volcanoes and varying landscape.

We went to the entertainment on several occasions when it was'brought in' The flamenco and argentinian dancing were very good as were the acrobatic shows. We talked to people with families and their children seemed to enjoy the mini club very much.

OK but impersonal

by TripAdvisor Member chrisclarke

We booked with a 4* AI Favourites package and, having read the reports on Trip Adviser, the hotel of the three possibles that I did not want was this one. When we were told this is where we were staying we decided to make the most of it as it was only for 1 week.
We were warmly greeted on arrival and asked to wait for 10 minutes while the receptionist checked our passports. We were then asked who we had booked with as we were not on the list. Another couple who arrived at the same time had the same problem.
We were given a very small room, big enough for a double bed that could be walked around, with a very small balcony. To reach it we had to walk across the 'bridge' that separates the two parts of the hotel. This bridge is about 200 metres long! The only lifts are in the middle of the next building so we walked right along to the lift - then had to double back on ourselves, right to the 'bridge' to get into our room. Since arriving home, we have measured the distance on Google Earth from reception to our room and it was 400 metres! Not far off quarter of a mile! It didn't help that there was only one lift (of 4) working when we arrived and the same one working when we left - although the others did work from Monday to Friday!
Bottled water was available on demand from reception and drinks stations were open all the time for self service, serving hot drinks, fruit juices, lager, fizzy drinks and slush puppies.
Guests are able to use either of the two buffet restaurants: the one in the building we were in was definitely inferior to the one in the main building, both in terms of decor and food and presentation quality. We tended to use the one in the old 'Palace' building for breakfast and lunch and go to the new building for dinner as all the entertainment happens on that side of the hotel.
The animacion team worked hard to provide some good entertainment, but the room was too small for the number of guests and visibility is hampered by large pillars. On our last night, we just couldn't get in.
The room was kept very clean by the maid who worked hard. She decorated the bed each night, making water lilies and other patterns with the bedspread and wonderful swans with the towels. She was the one excellent thing about the hotel.
Staff on reception were helpful and responsive but it was an effort to have to walk all the way over there, especially when we both suffer with hip problems that don't make walking easy. We felt sorry for a large number of guests, considerably older than ourselves, who were having difficulty with the walk.
Sunbeds were never a problem. There are lots available and it didn't matter what time of day we went out, we always found a free sunbed in the area we wanted to be. They are packed in very close so it can be difficult getting up and down from them as there is nowhere to put your legs down at the sides.
The food was of good quality and there was a reasonable choice, although the salad selection and desserts got quite monotonous after a while. In addition to all the other drinks, wine (red, rose and white) were on tap at meal times.
There was nothing specifically wrong with this hotel. It is hard to define why we were not impressed but this definitely was less personal than any of the other 4* AI hotels we have stayed in and some of those have been equally large. Also, the size of our room, which we were able to keep until 4.30pm on the day of departure for no extra charge, was disappointing and made us think that this was a room that was only used for emergencies.
We were also not impressed with Puerto del Carmen, finding it rather tacky in comparison with Playa Blanca where we have stayed on previous visits to Lanzarote.
We would go back to Lanzarote again, and we would do the AI 4* favourites again. If we got the Riu Paraiso again, we would be disappointed - but we didn't have an unhappy holiday so would accept it for a week as there was nothing really specific - just a feeling of not having been at the best hotel.

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member tracky66

We were a party of 6 that checked in on March 29th, very straight forward. All our rooms were very clean and adquate for our needs.
Food and Drink: Fantastic selection, and the Asain/Chinese resturant was brill. All branded spirits and soft drinks, and fabulous cocktails, Tea/Coffee always available
Entertaintment: very varied, something for everyone, also a great nightclub that goes on until 2am
Entertaintment Staff: First Class, espcially JAY who was so lovely and friendly, (he''ll go far)
Resturant and bar Staff: Could not be more accommodating, A1
Pool areas: lovely setting and plenty of space, although towards the end of the week as the Hotel started to get busier, sunbeds were getting snapped up, so you may have to be up early to reserve your spot around the pool.
I also felt that they need to replace some of the sunbeds as some of them were quite tired and old looking and the parasols were a little few and far between and could do with replacing and more of them.
Maid Srevice: Our maid was an artist she did somthing different to our sleep wear and bedding really pretty, also fresh folwers, it was delightful.
We meet some great people too, Rick and Nick from Toronto Canada, My teenage daughter met Sophie, George and Ollie from Surrey, My freind's little boy made a great pal called Jules.
So all in all, a great Holiday, great Hotel, although I am glad I went the week I did, as it did start to get very full and felt it did get noisier. The only other negative is that where our rooms were you could hear suit cases being wheeled in or out at all times of the night and early morning so that did disrupt sleep a little, but hey your on Hoiday and everything else was fab.
Remember that a holiday is what you make it, I never had any concern for compliant, and had a lovely time.
Go on your holiday with an open mind and have a great time.

nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member al156

I recently stayed at the hotel and had a great time. The rooms were fine, and the staff were all pretty helpful.
The only slight downsides were that the pools were pretty cold, and the meals were very repetative.
) who stayed at the hotel on the week of 28th March to 4th April, as i need to return something to them. Please contact me if you know this family
Thanks

fab hotel

by TripAdvisor Member did

Please dont be put off by negative reviews on this website, from our experience this was one of the best hotels we have stayed in and we are well travelled!!

We found it very hard to see what everyone has been whinging about. Ok maybe we were on the better side of the hotel, but in no way were the bars naff as suggested, the spirits were all branded and beer and soft drinks etc were easily avaliable on tap and the staff were very good!!

"overall"

Staff were very friendly and helpful

Rooms very spacious

Food varied and good choices (try the asian and grill)

Hotel was very clean

plenty of sunbeds avaliable (athough pool was a bit cold)

Within easy walking distance of beaches and hotels.

I would definatley reccommend the RIU parasio

Surprise holiday

by TripAdvisor Member bikerblue

Have just returned from surprise 50th birthday at Hotel. I have to say the food was very good, room was clean and well maintained. The staff are very helpful. I would suggest that anyone staying here is avisable to stay on 2nd or 3rd floor as ground floor does suffer from the odd cockroach. I rang the hotel 2 days before and requested 2nd floor room and they had us booked in on that floor. There are plenty of sunbeds so no need to place towels on beds in the mornings. Its about 40 min walk to the old harbour but very easy as loads of shops on the way. There is a car hire in the hotel which we used and was very competetive to those in resort. Book the Asian restauarnt as soon as you check in as it gets very busy.. Excellent food.Compared to other Riu's I would say it needs the odd coat of paint but having said that we found it very good value and we would visit again.

the train waiting at platform 5 .....the train waiting at platform 5 .....

Corpus Christi salt carpetsCorpus Christi salt carpets

Chef GregorioChef Gregorio

Great ViewGreat View

Mosquitos?

by barbandjon

Having checked the temperatures online it seems that it will be fairly warm in September - can anyone tell me if there are a lot of mossies - they love me and I want to be prepared (well prepared) for the little blighters.

Barb

by Miguelzgz

I have been in Lanzarote only in December, and it was more than warm...hot. But there was no mosquitos at all.

Nobody I have known who has been in Lanzarote has ever told me about the mosquitos...so I assume there are no mosquitos there.

Good luck.

by mustertal

They do have Mosquitoes, not many, but better be safe than sorry. We always take mossie "plug ins" and never had any problems.

by jugs291

Hi, like you i am a favourite meal for the mozzie's however i found the " cure "
take vitamin B compound tablets a few days before your hols and then take one every morning throughout your hols, they are available over the counter at all chemists and cost roughly £3 for 28 tablets. i have been using these tablets for last 3 yrs now and have been "mozzie free zone " its the yeast in the tablets the little blighters dont like, alternatively marmite is another substitute.
hope this helps .

by barbandjon

Hi Jugs

Thanx for that - sorry but I dont fancy the marmite remedy (like the advert) but I will go to Boots and get some vitamin B tablets. Anything that will stop me getting bitten has got to be a bonus. I have just bought a new formula spray as well. I am a wheelchair user and we seem to stir up the little blighters so my legs are the first choice. Hopefully I will be able to be bite free this year.

Barb.