Urbanizacion Cortijo Viejo, Puerto Calero, Lanzarote, 35570, Spain

Booking.com NH Hoteles Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• lomi's Profile Photo

Spa Hotel near Marina

We stayed at this hotel over a weekend to spend time with some friends who had sailed to Lanzarote and were berthed in the marina in Puerto Calero.

The hotel is located 5 minutes from the marina, designer shops, bars and restaurants. It says in the literature it overlooks the beachfront, I guess you can see the sea from the hotel but there is no beach as such in Puerto Calero.

This 5 star hotel is not pretty from the outside. It has over 300 rooms, four restaurants and three bars. At the far end of the building is the health spa with a host of water features, gym and therapy rooms.

Unique Quality: Our air conditioned room was unfortunately located right next to the pool, where there seemed to be a hotel host on a megaphone for 3 hours a day, coaxing tourists into various games and activities, not a place for tranquillity. The room itself was nicely decorated, clean and spacious.

In the evening we found the restaurant standards far below average for a 5 star hotel, ie. limp browned lettuce, soggy chips, overcooked vegetables, and it was annoying that they charge extra for espresso coffee. However, there are many good restaurants to choose from in Puerto Calero, just a short walk away.

More about Hesperia Lanzarote

Beautiful hotel

We stayed at the Hesperia Lanzarote for 1 week in September. It's a beautiful hotel with fantastic, friendly service. More than we expected in every respect.
The rooms, pools and hotel grounds were kept exceptionally clean. The breakfast buffet was huge. The bars, particularly the piano bar had great service and music, and at very good prices.
I would visit again without a second thought.

A genuine 5 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ordep

I stayed at the Hesperia Lanzarote (Puerto Calero) from 26 July to 2 August. We were lucky with the clowdy weather, temperature never reached 30º C. The Hotel entrance is very impressive: large windows facing the sea and a roof 4 stories high. During the check in they offer you a glass of cava (champagne from Catalunya).
The hotel as 3 restaurants but if you like canarian cuisine I advise to reserve table for several days at the "La Caleta" the moment you arrive. The buffet of the main restaurant as good food and thematic dinners: chineese, japaneese (delicious sushi), spanish, portuguese... Try a bottle of El Grifo white wine from Lanzarote vinneards. You may also visit the Cellar (bodega) and a Wine Museum (free entrance).
The hotel staff is very nice (mainly from Galicia), they really try to make your staying unforgettable. The problem in this hotel were some guests, like that british father in one of the 3 pools having a bath with a baby in dippers!!! Try the spa pool (covered), you'll have to pay but it's much better...
In the morning they offered us fresh apples and in the afternoon small chocolates. The music creates a quiet ambiance only disturbed by the way guests close their room doors!
The hotel does not have a real beach (they brougth sand from elsewere...) but if you have some sort of pool shoes you can try to reach the sea passing a few rocks and stones...
If you want to rent a car be carefull, it won't match the photo on the catalogue, so ask to see the car they intend to give you before signing the contract. In my case I had to switch car twice in the first day (I ended with a Citroen C 3).
You can reach Puerto Calero with a 10 min. walk allong the seaside. There you will find a shopping mall, a whale museum, restaurants (Amura is the best), water activities like a short cruise in a yellow submarine. The Hotel as a free shuttle bus service that guests can use to go to Puerto del Carmen (a noisy place with a lot of shops, restaurants... and a sandy beach wich is a rare thing in Lanzarote. If you really like paradise beaches go to Orzola (N) by car or taxi (30 min.) and catch a ferry to La Graciosa island. I intend to spend my next summer holidays on that island.
What more can I say? This is probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in Spain (the other candidate is the 3 star Hotel del Oso in Picos de Europa).

A very peaceful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mand-Lou

Just returned from a weeks break at the Hesperia Lanzarote. I did a lot of research on which hotel before I went away and used others reviews as well, this hotel had excellent reviews and I can see why. The rooms were basic (I wouldnt say luxurious) clean, well equipped. We were given a sea view room with no problem which was lovely.
Breakfast was fairly well organised with a good selection from the buffet. There did seem to be some problems with the coffee and tea - or lack of it, because staff seem to have their priorities wrong, instead of focusing their efforts to make sure guests were well-filled, they insisted constantly on doing other things and ignoring our plights! We didnt use the hotels restaurants as we preffered to experience other resorts or went down to the Port. There are a great selection of restaurants in Puerto Calero as well as in Puerto del Carmen and Playa Blanca.
The hotel had a great entrance lobby and was very chic, modern. The problem I had was the distinct lack of atmosphere around the place. It was VERY quiet. Some people may like that, but we are a young couple and it would have been nice to have a buzz about the place as well as some entertainment of an evening should we of decided to stay in. Staying at the hotel in the evening is not an option as there is NOTHING going on and it is so quiet. The pools and outside areas are very nice although I felt the general grounds were almost 'sterile'. Lanzarote is a lovely island (we hired a car and saw most of the main highlights in one day), it was very windy during our stay and we were told most of the island was like that not just the location of the hotel. The actual location of the hotel is on the beach front (there is no sand, just rocky headland), you are a 10 min walk from the Port and other than that you need a taxi to get anywhere. Puerto Calero is a fairly 'new' resort area and you can tell as it is still fairly quiet and there are a few building works going on further away from the hotel and along the coastline. We found we preferred Playa Blanca, as there you have it all....the buzziness, the beaches, the shops, and classy restaurants at the marina. I would certainly recommend the Hesperia, but only if you are looking for a 'quiet' holiday and 'good' facilities. I certainly wouldnt class it as a 5 star hotel - it isnt when comparing it to other 5 stars I have stayed at...it lacks the service, atmosphere and luxury feel.

The Gem of Lanzarote

My partner and I visited the Hesperia for two weeks in July 2005 and can say it is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. On arrival you are greeted with Champagne and shown to your room by lovely staff. The gentleman who showed us to our room was very polite and made conversation with us all the way. He also gave us some good suggestions about were to visit, which even though it was my fifth trip to the island I found having a residents view fabulous.
The room was very clean and comfortable - we were given a free upgrade without even asking as they had a sea view room available! The showers were very powerful and we had clean towels everyday, including beach towels.
We had a lovely cleaner, who always left us two chocolates each at dress down as we told them we liked them!
The pools themselves are cleaned every morning and we saw them being tested 5-6 times in our two week trip. There are plenty of sun beds and they were also cleaned and re arranged every night.
There was a regular waitress who provided you with fruit every morning by the poolside.
The Breakfast Buffet is out of this world! I have never in my life seen so much variety of food. No matter what your breakfast usually is - it will be there! All the hot food is also prepared and cooked in front of you. There is champagne on tap and we had a steady supply of coffee and warm milk. As we were there for two weeks we became very friendly with the staff and they would remember little things we liked and would give us the table we preferred, remember our room number and names and also practice our Spanish with us!
There are usually three main waiters in suits who show you to your table, they work in all the restaurants and are very polite and helpful.
The best restaurant is La Caleta - a real must. You will have to book but it is worth it. The food is fantastic and atmosphere lovely.
Puerto Calero is a five minute walk along the water edge - a lovely walk especially in the morning. We went to the restaurants there quiet a few times and would recommend the tuna at Lani's. They are the main restaurant chain in Lanzarote - but each one is very different!
The highlights of our holiday were:
* The Piano player each night in the bar - absolutely fantastic - will play the songs you love!
* The meal in La Caleta - service and food fantastic
* The breakfast choice and quality

As you can see we both had a fantastic holiday and have booked to get married there next September! We can not wait! They are arranging a special BBQ for us - The staff are just so lovely and helpful.

Not 5 Star

Have just returned from the Hesperia after a week's holiday there. What a disappointment! There is no way this hotel is 5 star. Have been to other 5 star hotels and this falls way short in a lot of respects. The food is terrible -flies everywhere landing on the cold meats and salads at the buffet! The hot food is cold. The breakfasts do not offer the choice and quality of the other hotels we've been to in the same catagory. They seem to be doing everything on a shoestring - the bathroom toiletries are a joke! No slippers and you have to pay to use the spa! We got no chocolates either at the supposed turndown - no beds were turned down so we were at a loss to know what they acturally did! The staff are very good - reception very helpful and friendly. The managers could take lessons from them. At the so called guests welcome evening one glass of cava per person and a small dish with a few olives were provided - everything was rationed - unlike other hotels. The managers just spent their time speaking to Spanish guests - such rudeness we have never encountered before anywhere. So much for the "welcome evening". The Caleta restaurant has a very limited menu and is nothing to write home about. Potatoes arrived about 15 mins. before the rest of the main course and by then they were cold. Most peculiar way of doing things. The bar staff were friendly enough but too regimented about closing times. Overall a very disappointing holiday and there is no way this hotel should have 5 stars - it does not deserve them. The standard simply is not there - they seem to be doing everything on a budget -pennypinching. Would not return to this hotel.

Where was the magic?

by TripAdvisor Member wigg

Our normal holidays involve a lot of traveling around. We like to spend our money seeing places and as a result we don't always stay at the best hotels. After a very tiring year we decided to treat ourselves and having spent a lot of time looking into various options we settled on a week at the Hesperia. Having looked at their website and read all of the great reviews on this site we were extremely excited. Now we've never stayed in a 4 star hotel let alone a 5 star so have little to compare the Hesperia with, but to be honest I was expecting more. When I think of 5 star hotels I imagine pure luxury. Whilst the hotel has the potential to be fantastic, unfortunately it doesn't currently deliver.

The good points:
- A fantastic looking hotel with a spectacular entrance area and beautiful grounds
- Wonderful pools with plenty of sunbeds for everyone
- Reasonable sized rooms with a good finish
- An astroturf tennis court rather than the usual tarmac one
- Excellent and friendly reception staff and cleaners
- Reasonable priced drinks
- Apples by the pool

The disappointments:
- No welcome drink
- Arriving and being told that we would have to pay 10 euro each per meal to use the a la carte restaurant despite being half board
- Cold 'hot' food (they need 2 chefs for breakfast)
- Overworked restaurant staff who didn't have enough time to distribute coffee and tea
- A miserable greeter at El Risco (the Italian restaurant)
- Having to pay for an iron
- Having to pay for the internet
- A distinct lack of TV channels
- The fact they let a car rental company fill all of the car parking spaces near to the entrance even when the cars weren't being used
- No chocolates
- Occasional turn-downs
- Running out of toilet roll

Don't get me wrong, we had a great holiday and the hotel was much nicer than we are used to. We managed to get a very good deal and as a result I still felt that our holiday was good value for money. BUT if I had paid £900 per week per person as Thomson were charging then I would have been very very disappointed.

This is a great hotel with friendly front-line who couldn't do any more than they are, but as other posters have suggested you get the impression that the faceless management are doing everything they can to cut corners. It's hard to put your finger on it, but the hotel just didn't deliver that something magic that I had hoped for. The frustrating thing is that all of my complaints are minor things that could so easily be rectified.

I really hope they get things sorted so that I can go back again next year.

PS. If you do go to Lanzarote you must visit the Montmatre Bistro restaurant in on Avda del las Palmeras Teguise. Jean Pierre and his family offer an excellent French menu and I would thoroughly recommend the Chicken Montmatre, the Beef Forestiere, the Stroganoff and especially the lemon mousse...... brilliant!

We loved it...

We have just returned from a 7 night holiday at the Hesperia, and we loved it. I looked at these comments before I went and so didnt know what to expect.
We have stayed in 5 star hotels in the UK, but usually stick to villas when we are abroad. The hotel was immaculate in terms of presentation and cleanliness and thoughtful touches such as bar staff bringing apples to us around the pool and being up-graded to a sea view room at no extra cost were fantastic. We found the breakfast to be amazing with my boyfriend having about 4 courses each morning just to get through all the different types of food on offer!
Not being the type of people to eat in the hotel each night or attend a welcome meeting I couldn't comment on those services, but the pool bar was cheap, and service was friendly and quick. The room was cleaned/turned down twice a day, although we didn't get a chocolate every night, but personally that didn't bother us. Yes, the Spa was extra but worth it and we were never under the impression that it was free anyway.
All in all, I have recommended it to my friends and family and will probably go back one day soon. Hope this has helped!

Can't wait to go back...

We popped into Thomas Cook for a late availablity bargain. "Late availabality" meant 4 days' notice. "Bargain" turned out to mean a week in a ***** hotel for £420 each. We thought there must be a catch, but we've arrived home again and we still haven't found one.

The Hesperia deserves every one of its 5 stars. Perhaps it had a bumpy opening (it has been there only 2 years) but whatever problems other reviewers mentioned have utterly vanished. Although large, the hotel is stylish and welcoming. The rooms are elegant, comfortable and spotless. The breakfasts, bar food and the one formal restaurant we used were all excellent. Staff were outstandingly professional and uniformly helpful and friendly.

The hotel is ideally placed about 3/4 of a mile, perhaps a little less, from a charming (though busy) marina and fishing harbour with some excellent restaurants along the waterfront and a smashing little "supermarket" for all those extras - like litres of Grant's whisky for £10!

In all, the Hesperia is among the best hotels we have holidayed in. (It would also be good for business meetings and training courses, if you have the right kind of boss!)

I'm just off to Mr Cook's to book another visit...

Fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kellster22

I stayed at the Hesperia with my boyfriend from 15 to 22 September this year and had a fantastic time.

We booked the holiday through Thomas Cook &More just over a week beforehand and payed the bargain price of £364 each for a week, bed and breakfast. We arrived at the hotel at about midnight and were greeted by a porter who took our bags. Check-in was great - we were told about all the services available at the hotel and given a welcome drink. Once our bags were brought to the room, we were able to order a room service meal (which is available 24hrs a day).

The room was lovely (we were given a free upgrade to sea-view, requested when booking). There were two sets of towels (one specifically for the pool), bathrobes, toiletries, a mini bar, an electronic safe, hairdrier and a TV (although there were only two English satellite channels, which was disappointing). We had two almost double-sized beds, which were extremely comfy. The maid service throughout our stay was ok, although as other reviews state, they seem to be rationing toiletries! However, we had a problem with some of our toiletries going missing, which we immediately reported to the reception manager, who then gave us a bottle of champagne, cake and replacement toiletries, which we were satisfied with. It makes you weary of what else may have disappeared too though. Our beds were turned back most nights, with a chocolate on the side table, unless we had the ‘Do not disturb’ sign on our door!

The outdoor swimming pools are beautiful – very clean although suprisingly cold! We didn’t venture downstairs to the spa. We ate at the Pool Bar a few times and the food was nice, although there wasn’t much choice. We found the staff there friendly, but painfully slow and disorganised. We experienced the same problem nightly in the Piano Bar. The only restaurant we ate in was the Botavara – for a buffet breakfast everyday and an Italian themed buffet one evening. The breakfasts were good – there was a lot of choice but towards the end of our stay, when the hotel became much busier, the staff couldn’t cope with the demand, and were slow to provide tea/coffee. The evening buffet again gave a lot of choice, but was ridiculously overpriced at 30 Euros a head, not including drinks. The staff also annoyingly asked us to sign the receipt slip in the middle of our meal if we ordered anything else. Also, be warned: the restaurants have a dress code of long trousers and shoes for the men, which we were unaware of before arriving. We were glad we had the option to eat out most nights, and found a lovely, amazingly cheap Italian restaurant in Puerto Calero marina called Papardella’s. We’d recommend it! A full meal cost less than 15 Euros each!

The walk to Puerto Calero itself took about 15 mins along a well-lit, costal path. Our rep said you could walk further onto Puerto del Carmen but don’t take their advice!!!... We tried it and ended up turning back after about an hour, with sore feet from the unmade path! The hotel operates a courtesy bus to/from Puerto del Carmen twice a day until the end of September. In any case, a taxi only costs approx. 7 Euros. Puerto del Carmen just seems to offer the usual ‘Brits abroad’ choice of Irish pubs, tacky shops and tattoo parlours, plus the beach is very busy. We stayed in the luxury of our hotel except for the odd venture to Biosfera – a shopping centre in the middle of Puerto del Carmen with lovely Zara and Mango stores amongst others.

Don’t go to the Hesperia expecting karaoke and bingo – there is very little daytime and evening entertainment and that’s just the way we liked it! There isn’t a great array of excursions either – the usual boat trips and scenic tours… enough to keep you occupied for a week anyway. The staff at the hotel were very accommodating, and little touches like courtesy copies of an English newspaper and apples by the pool made our stay memorable. We would certainly consider returning to the Hesperia.

Playa Blanca Hotel Beaches

by albert123

Am I correct that the hotels in Playa Blanca do not have private beaches? You have to walk to a public beach? Can one rent deck chairs umbrellas there?

Playa del Carmen if I am correct has a nicer beach? Anyone heard of the Hesperia Lanzarote?

Re: Playa Blanca Hotel Beaches

by mustertal

Hi,Do you meen the Hesperia Lanzarote hotel ? if so it's in Puerto Colero, a new, small resort where the wealthy keep their yacht's,as for deck chair's,the main beache has them for hire,but,Papagayo Beach which is said to be the best on the Island,is remote,so don't think they have them.

by mustertal

Also Hesperia Dorada hotel,so take your pick,thats at Playa Blanca.

by albert123

I greatly appreciate you pointing out that the Hesperia Lanzerote is not in Playa Blanca. The hotel looks really nice but I am assuming that they are not on or close to a beach then.

Playa Blanca to me looks like the nicest place. Do you agree?

Any hotel suggestions? The Timanfaya looks nice. Do you know it? Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

by mustertal

yes i agrea Playa Blanca is a nice quiet resort,but has a little more to offer than Puerto Colera.

by albert123

Yes but Porto Colera if I am correct is not close to any nice beaches? Where would you recommend staying?

Thank you.

by mustertal

Playa Blanca would be my recomendation,as it has some of the Island's most beautiful beaches if that is what you are looking for,even a nudist beach.It is a quiet place with good restaurants,but it is still being developed,so ask about work going on close by.
I notice you mention Playa del Carmen ???
Do you mean Puerto del Carmen,? This is the liveliest resort on the Island,with very good beaches,the old harbour has nice sea food restaurant's and bars,the resort is very hilly so not suitable for anyone with a mobility problem.Hope this is of some help.

by albert123

Yes I meant Puerto del Carmen. How long does it take by taxi from Playa Blanca to Carmen? Are taxis expensive? I think there is a public bus too?

Do you have any hotel recommendations in Playa Blanca.?

Thank you for your tips. Much appreciated.

Comments