Value Score No Data
Good For Families
Pretty Bungalow Living
We didn't have much money to spend but needed a break to get Mum away from the cold Irish weather (it's really bad for her joints). OUr travel agent offered some great last minute deals in all inclusive hotels, but we decided to try something different and opted for this largely self catering complex situated in the quiet area of Los Pocillos. At just €35 per bungalow per day it really is a great bargain for three star! I had emailed ahead requesting certain things and on arrival everything was provided to precision plus complimentary red wine and bottled water. Very impressive.
On arrival we were greatly impressed. We had bungalow no. 35 - poolside, whitewashed with green trim, and draped with fuschia pink bougainvillea it was like something from a travel brochure. Inside it was equally impressive - two generously sized rooms plus a full bathroom. The bedroom had twin beds, a locker, and plenty of wardrobe storage space. The sitting room had a generously sized sofa which doubled as a bed with a pullouit bed underneath; there were also two comfy armchairs here, a coffee table, another occasional table, and a small flatscreen tv with a number of English speaking channels. There was a generously sized kitchen area to one side of this with lots of cupboards and fully stocked with crockery and cutlery.
Outside there was a large pool with levels ranging from 1.10m to 1.50m accessed both by steps and by ladders. A smaller children's pool directly adjoined it. I believe there is a second pool in another section of the complex but we didn't go there.
A typically Canarian garden 9 complete with lots of lava gravel), a restaurant, and bar completes the development.
The entire area is scrupulously clean.
Now for the downsides (and what a pity there are any, as this has the potential to be perfect....):-
* There is no airconditioning in the bungalows. Some of them have been upgraded and have ceiling fans in the bedroom. While the fans provide some element of respite I cannot say that either of us had a good night's sleep all week because we were tossing and turning in the sweltering heat.
* There is no shelter or shade around the pool. Umbrellas can be hired at €7.50 per day but these can be of little use on the frequent days when the wind was wild (and regular visitors to Lanzarote will know this is often).
* The beds are uncomfortable and narrow. We requested matress toppers which were provided but I found these to be almost rubbery in texture and they didn't "breathe"....
* The TV remote has to be rented from reception.
* We ate just once in the restaurant and found the food to be well below par - we had breakfast and, for example, there was no bacon at all, the sausages were all frankfurters, and the eggs were only available scrambled, burned, and grey.
Unique Quality: There is a lot to recommend this resort.
Fur younger people who want to drink a lot and collapse into sleep without worrying about the heat then they are ideal.
You have no worries about cleanliness, helpful receptionists, barmen who make huge cocktails, and very friendly nice neighbours.
Know that it's in a very quiet area indeed and perhaps ten mins walk to the beach. However, for about four euro a taxi will take you to the very bust centre of Puerto del Carmen where you will find all the bars and shops and nightlife you could wish for.
Directions: In Los Pocillos behind the Riu Olivinas hotel.
Popular Hotels in Isla de Lanzarote
Puerto Calero, Puerto Calero, 35570, Spain
Calle Timon 3, Puerto del Carmen, 35510, Spain
Urbanizacion Cortijo Viejo, Puerto Calero, Lanzarote, 35570, Spain
Avenida Krogager S/N, Tinajo, 35560, Spain
Explore the World
- Iberotel Borg El Arab
- Hotel California
- Yellowstone Park Inn and Suites
- Marriott's Grande Ocean
- South Beach Condo Hotel
- Ghion Hotel
- Hotel De Mallemoolen Amsterdam
- Oberoi New Delhi
- Resta Reef Resort
- Cape Winds Resort
- Tides By The Sea
- Royal Voltaire
- Ramada Plaza Hotel Anaheim Resort
- Best Western The Venetian Ct