Villa Andorra

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Isla de Lanzarote

Interesting use of mirrorsInteresting use of mirrors

Pool area with surrounding bungalowsPool area with surrounding bungalows

Bus tour throug volcanosBus tour throug volcanos

at timanfaya volcanoat timanfaya volcano

Where can we eat???

by eclectica

Coming to costa Teguise in Jan. My partner cannot eat lactose (milk products) or gluten, but would be happy with seafood, or a decent steak and chips - though would really prefer to try local food if not cooked with butter/milk/wheat ...and to complicate things further i am vegetarian!
We're staying self catering, but would like to have a few meals out.. any recomendations greatefully received!!
cheers

by Pijlmans

Vegetarian in Spain...Good luck :-)

My girlfriend is also a vegetarian...so it's almost always pasta or pizza for her...

And with two people om a special diet you're lucky you're self catering...

Sorry I can't help...

Dennis

by eclectica

We are quite happy to choose different things on the menu! I would be happy to find a decent place that does pasta/pizza for me (though lots of tapas are ok too), but also can do plain cooked meat/fish/chips for 'im!! but just want somewhere in costa Tequise where we can both find something! cheers

by eclectica

Thanks - I have to agree. I've never had any problem in Spain myself. The big problem is (in every country, England included) my partners allergies. Although we mainly self cater (for safety) it's just nice when on holiday to have the odd meal out - so would be still very pleased if anyone could recommend a restaurant in costa Teguise where he could safely eat!

Dear Ilargitxo,

It was never my intention to say something bad about Spain! I like your country very much, see for instance my Canary Island pages...Been there!

It's just in my experience, that it is kind of hard to find a good vegetarian meal, because most meals are meat-based. Also in other countries, like you say, indeed. But when I compare the possibilities in restaurants to have a vegetarian meal in e.g. the Netherlands, or in Spain, it will be a lot easier in the Netherlands...I don't know how many times me and my vegetarian girlfriend have been looking for restaurants in the Canary Islands that serve just a single vegetarian dish, without success. Whereas in the Netherlands, most restaurants will have at least one or two vegetarian dishes on their menu.

It's funny that you mention that "legumes and fish are very normal in Spain"...A fish is an animal too and many vegetarians don't eat fish either...In fact, your reaction is a good example of the problem we often encountered in Spain...

So it's not just ignorance talking here...But maybe we have been just unlucky with the restaurants we picked until now...We indeed also have self-catering most of the time and we prepare good vegetarian meals with delicious Spanish ingredients ;-)

So again, I did not want to offend anybody...I hope you see what I am trying to say...

Cheers
Dennis (Meat-eater pur sang)

by Pijlmans

So you would agree with me if I say: Vegetarian in the Canary Islands...Good luck!

:-)

Travel Tips for Isla de Lanzarote

Beaches and a Moonscape

by scubiski

You may never actually get to the moon but you don't need to because you can visit Lanzarote in the Canary Islands and experience everything the moon has to offer (sort of) plus you can chill out at some beautiful beaches. There is night life and fun too Lying on the beach - 2 and a half hours from London, in May and the weather is sunny, 28 degrees and perfect....life sure was tuff...

Moonscape-Timanfaya

by laney5

Didn't really want to visit a place where every tourist went but this was well worth the effort. Go into the national park, find the main entrance and pay only 8E to get in. Drive up to the viewpoint and take the free bus journey(you need your ticket) around the volcanic landscape. You will be amazed by the scenery and you can listen to the commentary as you go. Not allowed to get out of the coach but you can take as many photos as you wish. Not to be missed!

Lanzarote and its stunning landscapes

by rachel_sun

Most accomadation is on the south coast because that side is sheltered from the strong trade winds.The trade winds gust from northwest of Lanzarote and Lanzarote is 645km from the tropic of cancer.Trade winds only blow in tropical locations.Lanzarote is a very dry island and can only have around 16 days of rain a year.Thats only 130mm or so a year.
Spanish is the main language of the island although English is also spoken in most places.Because Lanzarote is unspoilt the nature and flora and fauna of the island are fabulous.I loved the dramatic landscapes and volanic patterns everywhere.Lanzarote has stunning unspoilt beaches and im so glad its being protected from being over developed. Because it has been protected from over devopement it is a very pretty and peaceful island.Tourist resorts are confined just to a small part of the island.So that leaves massive parts unspoilt and very pretty and peaceful.

Festival

by rachel_sun

There are lots of fiestas and festivals on throughout the year and here is a list of some of them.

Carnival brings two weeks of music,dancing,partying at Arricife and Puerto del Carmen.It finishes on Ash Wednesday with the Burial of the Sardine.

In January its the Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos Festival(Three Kings Parade) held on the 5th of January at Teguise.

Febuary on the 2nd is the Fiesta de Nuestra Senora de Candelaria.This is a massive festival is some villages and towns.

March-April is Easter so there will be fiestas and events happening everywhere during Easter week.

June has the Fiesta de San Juan held on the 24th June.This celebrates midsummer in Haria.

August is the Fiestas de Carmen held over 2 weeks from the 1st of August.This is in Puerto del Carmen.Fishing boats are decorated and sailed out to sea on last Saturday.
And the Fiesta de San Gines is celebrated for a whole month and has parades, processions and dancing in the streets.

December .Things happen all over from plays to dancing and processions.

This is just a taster of what goes on and there are many other things happening.

Language please!

by lomi

Although many Spanish people in the resorts speak some English, it is appreciated if you at least try and speak Spanish as a courtesy. In the villages they only speak Spanish (or Canarian).

The islanders use a short greeting when meeting or parting. Hola - pronounced Olah - hello
Buenos Dias - good morning
Buenos Tardes - good afternoon
Buenos Noches - good night

Go on, dont be bashful

If you can only say 'Gracias' (thankyou) use it. Please.

Comments