Leon Y Castillo 227,Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, La
Hotels.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Santa Catalina Hotel

As we booked our holydays on a...

by RENE_CARDOEN

As we booked our holydays on a demi-pension basis, we did not care very much about food. Mostly we made day trips and even in the smallest villages one could find easily something to eat in a typical restaurant or snack bar. The only thing you got to have is patience!!! In Palma town we were pleasantly surprised eating “Tapas” in the middle of a covered market place (Mercado). We enjoyed very much the noisy atmosphere and of course the fresh fried fish, served with a good glass of wine.
Location : Palma de Mallorca near by San Miguel Street, between the churches San Miguel and Santa Catalina.

Poscards from vt´s friends: AMERICA

by Carmela71

"USA:"

Los Angeles.

Thanks Stace, I am glad you had a great time!

january 2002

Utah

thanks Again Stace ...

january 2002

"Usa, New york"

From my first vt friend in real: rvancelett

Willing to see you again!!! Rachel

christmas 2001

May 2002

Kansas from Glenda

June 2002

Seatle by Carnation
Hope my friend that you are having a great time there! and I wish you the best

"Canada"

Thanks to Roelien, Simone and Lalkens

"Anza_Borrego Desert State Park"

thanks Yubert, Hope you had a great time here this febrauary 2003

"DEath Valley National Park, USA"

thanks Yubert, hope you had a great time in Jnuary 2003

"Marina del Rey, California: Geoff"

thanks Geoff for the postcard, is always great to know you are having a good time and getting all of us jealous ;-)

"Miami from Chrissyalex"

thanks Chrissy, Glad to see you had a great time!!!

New York

"Brazil"

Santa CAtalina

december 2001

"Puerto Rico"

Coqui, a symbol fo the island

February 2002

The pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela

by KiNyA

"El Camino de Santiago"

I first heard of Camino de Santiago back in summer of 2006 when I met an Andalusian pilgrim in Salamanca. He told me about the pilgrimage route he was doing but I didn't understand him very well.

Only three days later, I visited Santiago de Compostela for the first time. The town just fascinated me and I immediately understood what that pilgrim had been explaining me in Salamanca. Already there I decided to visit the next time Santiago as a pilgrim.

After that, I spent quite a lot of time in Spain but tried to avoid revisiting Santiago, as I decided to return there as a pilgrim.

"The preparation"

Somehow I was thinking of doing the pilgrimage in the summer of 2008. Alone. After spending one entire year in Spain, a one month pilgrimage would have been just a perfect summit of getting to know Spanish, and in particular, Castille and Galician history, culture and people. And as it is a kind of spiritual route, getting to know me, myself.

In one week I changed my plan three times. First I wanted to start the pilgrimage in Saint Jean Pied de Port, a French town, starting-point of many pilgrims. Secondly, I changed my plan two days later, deciding to do the Via de Levante (Eastern Route) instead of The Royal French route. Why? I was told every pilgrim should start a pilgrimage just in front of his front door. So, back then I was living in Valladolid and thought of starting my pligrimage there, take the Via de Levante which close to Sahagun ends in the Royal French route. Few days later, as I found out I would have free few extra days, I decided to do The Royal French route, but starting in Somport, a mountain pass between France and Spain in Pyrenees.

"Back to Slovenia"

Just a few days later, I cancelled everything. The wish of seeing the most important people of my life was stronger than doing the pilgrimage … So I decided to return back home, to my country.

Very soon I found out that was a mistake. After being a long time in a relationship, my ex and I broke up – and I immediately decided to do THE Camino. I found the pilgrimage to Santiago the only option to get over it.

"Camino - And now for real!"

Back home my father said he would like to do the Camino with me. I somehow wanted to do it alone, but couldn't deny him. So, we decided to do the Camino in October, after the hops harvest on our family farm.

The plan stayed the same: To start the pilgrimage in Somport, except adding my dad's wish to see Lourdes before the start, as we were going to be in that part of France.

"The Start. Lourdes, France."

So, on October the 2nd, after landing in Pau, we took train to see the cathedral of Lourdes. It was big, impressive. And it was raining! My dad asked me if I wanted to start the pilgrimage right there & right then. At first, I was a bit sceptical, but, YES, in the end we started our pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela (Chemin de Saint Jacques de Compostelle, as they say it in France) that rainy afternoon, which supposed us to do the distance of 120 km more in the same time.

Now, looking back, I see the part of pilgrimage in the French Pyrenees one of the most beautiful parts of the entire pilgrimage route we did.

"A wonderful experience!"

All in all, in 26 days we walked over 1000 km, passing different landscapes, visiting all kinds of villages and towns, seeing some of the best natural and cultural jewels of Spain (and France), meeting wonderful people: pilgrims from all over the world, monks, nuns, and all kind of other people we met on the route. I still remember EACH of them.

When I have time I'll add more information and my personal experience of this pilgrimage to my Spain page (or to pages of towns we passed). There are just so many wonderful things we saw and went through I would like to share!!!

"Father and daughter"

And there is another thing I'm proud of: Being one (ENTIRE) month with my father. All the time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, four weeks! It's normal we had some fights, but on the other hand, I got to know him much better, he told me several stories from his childhood I had never heard before, as well as some of his actual thoughts. I must say I understand him much better now.

Regretfully, he doesn't understand me :-)

"Day by day, 26 days"

This is just a short list of the pilgrimage we did every day, day by day. In average we walked some 40 km per day.

Day 1 – Oct 2nd: Lourdes – Bruges
Day 25 – Oct 26th: Melide – O Pedrouzo
Day 26 – Oct 27th: o Pedrouzo – Santiago de Compostela

INTERESTING THINGS TO DO

by thestimpler

Any advice for some must see things in the following cities..Barelona, Zargonza, Segovia, Madrid, Seville, Valencia, Mallaga Granda and Toledo.
Thanks

Re: INTERESTING THINGS TO DO

by A2002

Alhambra and Generalife in Granada is a must see.

Re: INTERESTING THINGS TO DO

by betis1

Without the marketing I can provide a few suggestions on Seville. If here for a couple of days see:

-La Catedral (La Giralda), Alcazar and Barrio Santa Cruz.
-Parque Maria Luisa, Plaza de Espana, and the University.
-The river, including the Torre del Oro and the bullring, and then cross the bridge to Triana. Walk down Calle Betis and cross the river back to the center on the other bridge (Los Remedios).

As for nightlife the bars along the river are the place to be in the summer. If you want to wander a little (but still be in the center) head to my neighborhood of Santa Catalina and visit El Rinconcillo, the oldest bar in Sevilla (founded 1670). La Plaza de los Terceros is right there and a great place to eat for fairly cheap is La Huerta. Down the street from there (go later at night) is a bar called El Perro Andaluz, with live music most nights. Maybe you'll see me there!

La Carboneria is very touristy, but they have live flamenco on some nights (you can avoid the hefty prices of tablaos and see some normal people perform) and a large outdoor patio in the back. Have fun!

Comments