Avenida Gran Canaria 18, Playa del Ingles, , 35290, Spain

Costs 64% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Gran Canaria Princess

This is absolutely NOT a 4 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member How2

I've read a few of the many reviews on this site about the Gran Canaria Princess and I can only assume that the guests that give it rave reviews stayed in a completely different Gran Canaria Princess to the one I returned from yesterday (4th September 2006). I have never felt compelled to write and slate a hotel before and always look for the good in every holiday. However, I think our very recent experience needs to be shared with other prospective customers. We booked this trip to try to give ourselves a bit of relaxation and "luxury" following our nightmare trip to Halkidiki the week before, where we were forced to be evacuated back to the UK because of the terrible fires. We wanted (and paid for) 4 star luxury and absolutely did not get it. Hotel bedrooms - comfortable, clean(ish) and the aircon works - but did not have the usual 4 star appointments. You have to pay to unlock the fridge and there are no spare sockets to use for anything you may want to plug in - you'd have to unplug the light , fridge or TV to plug a battery or mobile phone charger for instance. Pools - nice for a wallow but not a swim really and that's if you can find a space to plonk yourself near it for the day (or in it acually - there were so many inflatables that I was constantly bumping into them whilst having a cool off). The hotel claims (in it's guest information literature) that it is does not allow guests to reserve loungers but I witnessed (every morning at 8am without fail) an army of ants carrying the hotel brown towels to book their place for the day - some of these ants don't actually arrive to use their beds until quite a while later (I witnessed a group of people arriving to use their beds at 3.10pm and they had been booked long before I arrived to try and legitimately get my coveted space at 9.45am!!! The loungers end up so close together that you would be better off being parachuted in to be able to get to yours. They also charge you to replace the towel, so we kept ours for the week as we figured they'd had enough money out of us already (the 4 star I stayed at last year replaced them at the end of every day). Restaurant - I have never ever had to queue for a meal at any hotel - and I've stayed in a few. You shouldn't have to do this at a reputed 4 star hotel - they should be better organised and maybe run a 2 sittings option. The service in the restaurant was ok(ish) depending on the waiter - sometimes they just plonked the wine on the table and let you get on with it and sometimes they would give you a taste and pour it for you - depended on their mood. The food was nothing special and I've seen more sumptious buffets in a 3 star. Two members of my party had upset stomachs and needed pharmaceutical intervention. Lifts - the hotel has 3 small lifts, although only 2 were working for the duration of our stay. They are totally inadequate for the size of the hotel and number of guests. We were on the 5th floor (of 7) and nearly always gave up and had to climb or descend 5 flights of stairs. The kids club was all but useless. They did the same mundane things with absolutely no enthusiasm every day and night and my little boy gave up with it after day 2 as he was so bored. This hotel is a borderline 3 star at best - don't be fooled by the pretty (out of date) pictures and the good name of the Princess Hotels like we were. If you want 4 star luxury don't go to the Gran Canaria Princess.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member P.m.b27

A group of four of us have just returned from staying at the Gran Canaria Princess Hotel for a week and we all absolutely loved it. The hotel is spotlessly clean with excellent service. The Pool is quite large and clean aswell. The sun loungers were a little bit of an issue. It's not that there weren't enough it's just that they were a bit crammed in so you had to be quick off the mark in the morning to get one in a decent spot. i can imagine peak season this may bother some people. The Thomson reps were friendly and helpful and were available most of the time which is rare! We organised a helicopter trip and a catamaran trip through them which was well worth the money, wouldn't both so much with the submarine trip though.
This hotel is in an excellent location, you have the beach within walking distance down the road as well as the Maspalomas sand dunes which are impressive to see. You are only a bus ride from Puerto Rico as well. Although it is quite near to the nightlife in Playa del Ingles which was good for us you couldn't see or hear anything of that from the hotel. You do have the Kasbah centre up the road which is worth a look, as well as the Irish centre up the road. You do also have the Yumbo centre which is popular for the gay or lesbian scene which isn't necessarily everyones cup of tea but to be honest we had a couple of good nights there because there were no touts to bother us!!
For the hotel itself I would definitely go back there, the buffet was brilliant, really good quality food and choice, we had a vegetarian travelling with us and she didn't struggle for choice like she normally does. You do have to queue a bit but we found eating later on reduced that problem. The rooms themselves are light, airy and spacious with aircon and a nice clean bathroom. Probably the nicest room I have stayed in abroad to be honest. The only areas for improvement I saw were the lifts as they are small and for the amount of people staying there is a bit of a pain after awhile and also for us staying half-board we would have liked drinks to be included with the evening buffet as they are with the breakfast, but heh you can't have everything. Definitely recommend the pool bar for the evenings it was so comfortable there and really relaxing drinking a cocktail by the pool. Hope this gives you some idea of what to hope for. Enjoy your hols!!

go for it!

great break away! first i would like to remind people that this isnt a 5 star hotel so dont be horrified that it has a few minor flaws. i am 24 and do not agree that it is just for old people. infact it was my birthday while on holiday and even without informing the hotel i came back from breakfast to find a ice bucket with bubbly and a lovely letter. nice touch!

if you want to go out for nightlife then its all around you just have to go down the rodd and its there. hotel is quiet but playa de ingles has alot to do outside the hotel if you choose. the evening entertainment was really good-although maybe a bit late if you have kids (shows tended to start about 10.45). yes the hotel is a bit dated but its immaculatly clean, especially the rooms. and as for torn linen ours was lovely and clean and fresh. if it was bad i would have told reception and they would have sorted it out. they were really friendly and helpful and spoke exeptional english. food was abundant and different every night (breakfast stayed the same so could get boring but the quality was really good - a bit too good as we gained half a stone each while we were here) before serving bowls were even empty they were taken away and replaced with fresh food. again the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff were terrific in the restaurant.

i read these comments before booking so i specifically asked for a low rise room so the litfs wouldnt be a problem. i can see peoples negativity here as they were small and always full so make sure you ask for low rise and take the stairs. pool area was lovely, enough beds but not enough space for all of them so it got crowded some days but its not a private villa dont forget so expect sharing. its one of the cheapest princess hotels (because of its age) so the value is good its just not as decorated as nice as others. my parents have stayed in here and maspolomas princess and what you get is the same just this one is dated so if you cant afford a five star like maspolomas princess then dont hestitate to come here. i dont think youll regret it.

at the end of the day the hotel will do what they can to make your stay the best possible so let them know if something isnt satisfactory so they can change it, dont just moan afterwards. happy holidays!

Great Hotel !

I have just returned from the GCP after a stay of 1 week and can highly recommend it! The rooms are spotlessly clean and the maid came in everyday to make the beds, towels were changed about 3 times during the week.

The food was pleasant and I ate out a few times as well.

The Yumbo, Plaza and Kazbah shopping centres are a 10 minute walk away. The hotel is also popular with gay couples, families and middle age people. I would definitely recommend the hotel !!

The only negative I found was the entertainment; the hotel has a variety of acts on each night and to be perfectly honest they weren't much good.

On the whole, a really nice hotel, friendly staff, close to all the local amenities (including the beach) and would probably rate it at 9 1/2 out of 10.

how can a bad review be given

by TripAdvisor Member marls1

read all reviews before we went but after we booked, so went there with mixed feelings. arrived around 4am tired, a cold drink and biscuits were waiting in foyer. we were dispatched to our rooms quite quickly, the hotel was very clean food was better than we have had in other hotels. had to get to pool early if you wanted an umbrella but there was always beds. the beach isnt that far away but take a pair of shoes you can walk on the sand and go into the water with, the sand is very very hot.
the waiters in the restaurant are very efficient and the bar waiters are something else they even remember what you drink and the speed they move at it makes you giddy just watching them.
the lifts are small, when we went the hotel was full but we didnt have any problems obviously if you do join the mass exodus after the entertainment is finished you will have to wait, why not go into the piano bar and have another drink and listen to the music in there they will even let you sing. all in all a very good holiday.

TRUE REVIEWS AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member penn1e

I am sooooo glad to read the latest reviews on here, obviously from normal people like myself who go on holiday to enjoy it and not to slate it without good cause.I have been going to the GCP for years ,infact my first visit was 1992 so it was newish then, and I can tell you the standards are just as high now as they were back then,obviously the building will have deteriorated(as we have )but there are a few of the staff STILL there now since back then,our last visit was in June 06 and we actually booked to go to the suite Princess,only because it was a special occassion and we thought we would try it,we lasted 1 day !!!! made a few phone calls and got moved to GCP,it was unbelievable the differance in our mood immediatly,as soon as we walked in the foyer it was like being "home" and we ended up haveing another fantastic holiday there,and yes the the other princesses are more plush,but no atmosphere,cold,only people wandering around,we also have tried the maspalomas Princess and I kid you not, you were lucky to see the same person twice during your stay!! We have made many friends over the years at GCP both holidayers and staff (they know who they are) and may it continue. Can I also say for anyone out there that is saying "no hotel is that perfect" I agree there is small faults,some nights the show was a load of [--] but at least its all on the board and you can plan to do something else, we always do. All I am saying is theres always options!!!!!!!! Jackie & Bobby

Lovely, friendly hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Sazza16

We have just spent 11 days at the GCP and had a super time. The last time my husband and I stayed here was 9 years ago. This time, with 2 young children and my young single bother and parents in tow we found it to be as wonderful as we remembered. The pools are great, plenty of sunbeds and a fair amount of parasols. Unlike some other hotels we visited, it is ok to take inflatables into the pool. The daily activities were plentiful for adults as well as children. The evening entertainment varied - we saw some spectacular shows but others were not so good, however, you can always venture out to the Kasbah or any of the local bars as mentioned by another reviewer. Also, the mini golf is great fun. The buffet breakfast and evening meal offered a lot of choice and it was hard not to be greedy! The staff are all friendly and helpful, especially the entertainment team - my kids adored them. It is easy enough to walk to the beach for a change of scenery and there is a local waterpark called Ocean Park which is only a 5 min taxi ride away. It had enough slides to entertain my 7 and 8 year old children, although the main pool was a bit slippy. Back to the GCP - what can I say - everything was clean and well organised. We never had to wait long for a table in the restaurant. For a quieter breakfast experience, try the La Choza upstairs (same food but less people). All in all we had a great time and would go back again.

Downgrade to a 3*

by TripAdvisor Member Barbara_Andy

We were recommended to use Princess Hotels, as an excellent high class hotel.
Booked a one Week holiday to miss trick/treaters and bonifire night in UK.

Took the risk of Hotel allocation on arrival knowing we had an option of 4 hotels ie Maspolomas and Tabiba, Suite Princess and Gran Canaria all of which had been advertised as 4 *. We arrived a 1am at the hotel to a small buffet in the room, a nice gesture. However getting comfortable in bed was a problem, the beds were so hard my joints and back ached the next day…we had to request sponge on the bed as a cushion. The holiday rep introduction chat was informative however all trips are very very expensive.

Spent a little bit of time locating the executive lounge, thinking it would be somewhere rather exclusive found it to be the reps tent…..next to the games tent.

Reading review of How2 Bedfordshire 6th September reminded me of some of the other problems we experienced, ie no plugs to charge camera/mobile/kettle had to use the socket in the bathroom not ideal and very dangerous. There is a charge for the safe and the fridge, items I feel are necessary and should be covered in the cost.
The walls are paper thin, and it is possible to hear conversations through the walls, there is also a major road GC500, not far from the hotel…constant hum of traffic.

The key to the room is also a key for the lights, if there is two of you, it may be difficult if the other person wants to quality time alone. There is an option of a second key, ask at the reception.

Our room was on the second floor backing out onto the pool table/air hockey….I can still hear the clunk clunk of the games. There were two tennis courts, as you can imagine these were very rarely used, due to additional costs!
It is true about hotel guests reserving their loungers with towels, I clocked one couple at 0745am.

My partner and I found a secluded spot for sunbathing, thinking we were safe from Kids and smokers only to be surrounded by other loungers within a short space of time….very claustrophobic…. Bathing area is far too small for the size of the hotel.

We went down for evening meal at 830pm, we did not experience queues, however I found the selection of food rather limited (Veggy) I managed to loose weight on holiday!!

Lifts are unbearable, for how many of them, would expect a speedy service. We gave up waiting and walked up and down. Marble staircase is difficult to negotiate if you vision is slightly impaired ie no lines to mark the edge of the step before the next step begins.

Rather than going on any trips, we booked a hire car . We matched the price of car rental against trips and certainly think the car was better value for money. Used the car over 4 days, traveled around the island, small bays Puerto Rica/Puerto Mogan and into the mountains….fabulous.
Also used the car to explore other Princess hotels on the Island. Suite Princess is in a Puerto Taurito bay in the middle of nowhere with cranes nearby, Taurito Princess also in the same bay. The Mogan Princess is also within the same bay of the other Princess hotels, however the location of the hotel is set higher in the edge of the cliff (my partner is apprehensive of heights and would find this hotel a problem) also has a very steep uneven hill as access, not ideal. Maspalomas and Tabiaba are next to each other, ideal if your partner prefers the shade and you want to sit in the sun. Flooring in the all the hotels are cold marble, may prove difficult if you need crutches, witnessed a tall gentleman with one leg fall over badly due to his crutches slipping on the floor. Ouch!!

Taking everything into account, I certainly agree with the comments of 6th September How2 Bedfordshire, the hotel should be downgraded to a 3*.

Gran Canaria

by Jules2102

"The Beach"

A Beautiful island, again a second visit, but this was 15 years later and without the children.
Stayed in the Gran Canaria Princess, Las Palmas, very clean, rooms basic but big, huge corner balcony.
Food good, pool warm.
Busy place, clean beach, plenty of sun beds, we walked the beach. But be aware of the Nudist section.

Gran Canaria

by RobMorgan

"Hotel Gran Canaria Princess"
I must admit, this is the laziest holiday we've ever had, I read 3 books !!!
It's lovely to get away, no work, no post, no phones,no rain either !!!

By the "Nudist Beach" at Masapalomas, Lizzie said "take your pants down Robbie, no-one will laugh at you" !!! But I'm shy, honest.

This is Elsa, the lovely lady that cleaned our room every day. Always cheerful in her work.
She taught me a little Spanish too, "hasta pronto Elsa".

Masapalomas sand dunes.
There are plenty of groups of nudists in the dunes.
Don't know what game these were playing, but I didn't join in !!!!!

Gran Canaria Princess.
This is a part of the pool area with a bar in the middle. Wish I was there now !!!

HOW TO GET THERE. Well, fly of course !!!
I have my own private jet now & fly everywhere myself. Beats delays at airports.
So anyone needing a very cheap flight anywhere in the world please contact me (just bring a pocketfull of coins for the meter) !!!!

Promenade between Playa del Ingles & Masapalomas.

Lizzie having a well earned cool drink in the shade.

"Trekking" through the the famous Masapalomas sand dunes. One thing though, watch out for nudists, they were everywhere !!!!

Well, I've always wanted a scooter !!! Kept me quiet for half an hour anyway while Liz did a bit of shopping!!!

"WOW" it was carnival week when we were there, what a bonus !!! Very spectacular, colour, lights, noise, just like being in Rio.
Well done to the people of Gran Canaria for making a fantastic display, great effort.

Carnival again. Good time had by all.

It was my birthday while we were there too, lucky me.
Thanks to all who sent me "happy birthday" wishes.
Wonder where I'll spend the next one ??? Any ideas ???

At Parque San Telmo.At Parque San Telmo.

At the entrance of the park, king Doramas.At the entrance of the park, king Doramas.

This building is next to the square.This building is next to the square.

El Corte Inglés.El Corte Inglés.

Gran Canaria Princess...Thomson Platinum Hotel

by Heavens-Mirror

Hi Guys & Girls
been looking at going to the Gran Canaria Princess hotel in Playa De Ingles in April 2007.
Does anyone know if this hotel is any good as ive read lots of mixed reports about it on holidaywatchdog.com.
Also what is the weather like in April time?
Thanks,
Stacey xx

RE: Gran Canaria Princess...Thomson Platinum Hotel

by Mark2spark

Can't say about the hotel, but the canaries are warm to hot all year round. Ive been in April before and it was about 25C - 30C.

RE: RE: Gran Canaria Princess...Thomson Platinum Hotel

by Birsen

Hi Stacy,

Playa del Ingles is very touristy place. I didn't hear any bad thing about the Princess Hotel.Check it out in the Canarian forum at http://www.canaryforum.com/ if somebody knows about it.

You will have fun in the south sure.But If you feel like to visit the city of Las Palmas check my pages on VT. at:

Take care

Birsen

RE: RE: Gran Canaria Princess...Thomson Platinum Hotel

by Heavens-Mirror

We are a young couple looking for somewhere reasonable busy with good nightlife and bars and restaurants aswell as a few clubs if we fancy it. Ive been told Playa Del Ingles is great for it.
xxx