Dunas Suite Hotel Maspalomas

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Dunas Suite Hotel Maspalomas

It could be worse!

by TripAdvisor Member kasiaoslo

We have just come back from Dunas Suite Hotel where we booked 2 rooms apartment.

Thanks to good weather and beautiful nature around, I had a very good time forgetting about all negative episodes relating to Dunas Suites Hotel.

For me the only positive thing about Dunas Suites Hotel is the well preserved nature. The gardeners do their best to make the surroundings look beautiful.

Here are some of our unpleasant experiences.
1/The hotel is a huge maze complex where you have to walk a lot to find a reception, eat breakfast etc. The placement of suites is totally disorganized. I am wondering why the architects and project leaders arranged it like that.

2/People working at the reception are generally polite but there are some who are very rude and arrogant. We had a very impolite welcome. I asked about the suite in a quiet place with a nice view and I got the answer that the MANAGEMENT had already DECID ED where we would be. I was shocked to be treated like that in a 4 star hotel. Nothing like 'have a good stay’.

3/ We ordered waking- up at the reception one day and they did not do it explaining to us later that it was done automatically and the system was working properly. At the end, we found out that the telephone in our suite was out of order.

4/ The bathroom needs total renovation from the top to the bottom. Water taps are destroyed. There is shortage of hot water so any bathing has to planned in advance e.g. somebody takes a shower in the morning and the other person in the evening. I found no soap or shampoo in the bathroom delivered by the hotel.

Generally speaking, we had a good holiday stay in Dunas Suites Hotel since we did not demand too much from the hotel staff and had relatively low requirements.

Have a nice stay at Dunas Suites Hotel,

Katrina

FANTASTIC HOLIDAY

by TripAdvisor Member maspalomas69

My partner and myself booked a one week stay at the Dunas Suites Hotel April 2008

Having read the reviews we were a little concerned what to expect however we have just had one of the best holidays we both have ever had.

Arrived 4am Sunday morning absolutely knackered. Lovely large clean room,with lounge area. Had a few hours sleep then had a look around fully expecting the worst after what some reviews had written.

The suites are set in beautiful grounds within the complex. Very clean and tidy, pools clean. staff busy but always helpful.

Food fine. Large selection of buffet style food. Restaurant did get busy but as we ate about 8pm most evenings which was quieter.Never had any problem finding table. Good selection of food okay maybe not as hot as it could have been but this is buffet all inclusive catering for a large amount of people.

Lovely promenade about 15 mins from the beach and sand dunes which were breath taking.

Taxis very cheap and reliable just ask at reception who we found were always very helpful.

Had a very relaxed stay just wish it had been for longer.

Jenny and Colin
Jersey Channel Islands

Needs to be down graded to 3 star.

by TripAdvisor Member SomersetMolly

We stayed for 1 week arriving on Jan 12th. Our flight was delayed for 6 hours , so we arrived at 11pm. Desk was very helpfull and there was salad and chicken put aside for us. Our room was a junior suite and was near reception, it was clean and very spacious for just the two of us. I agree with every review that has been written lately, the grounds are lovely and the maids work hard to keep things clean. Pools were clean and some heated, but sunbeds were mainly hogged by our foreign vistitors, which the spanish gave more attention to than us brits!!
We chose all inclusive, but to be honest it was a waste of money. The food is awfull. Queues and more queues, only to find cold and repetitive food on offer. Trying to find a table was like looking for a diamond in the dunes!! Staff were over worked, stressed and rude. They ignored us half the time, and made us feel like children. They would grunt a reply like UH, or WAIT. We may as well booked a week in a boot camp!! The dining experience was the worst we have ever come across. We ate out 4 times in local restaurants and it was much better. * WARNING*DONT EAT BY THE POOL* The food is out for hours and always covered in flies. (Burgers, toasties, chips, salad, hotdogs.) We made the mistake the first day and didn't do it again, after having dodgy stomaches. We saw a cockroach crawling by the tea bags, and our steak that night was unedible, so tough and chewy we never ate an evening meal in there again.! Gordan Ramsey would have shut it down!! The entertainment one night was bingo. As we were so bored we thought we would give it a go. They gave us 1 bingo card and a cocktail stick. Being blonde, I asked what did we have to do. He said make a hole with the stick when your number comes up. They didn't put the main lights on and couldn't see a bloody thing you were doing! The disco is non existant, the only music is a cd which plays the same music over and over. Hence we gave up and spent time watching the only TV channel CNN, in our room. That night I was woken up by the man next door snoring!! Then drip, drip, drip. As i went into the bathroom there was a leak and water every where, lucky one of us didn't slip on it. We reported it the next morning and they fixed it straight away. Or so we thought!! Next night it was pouring out and we spent over an hour mopping up with our towels. Our pedal bin was put under and it was filling up every half hour. Then they really did fix it, with all new taps, pipes,etc, but the reception really could'nt care less, and never smiled or looked happy in their job. The beds and pillows are very hard, almost like sleeping on a slab of foam, but they were clean. Our maid was very efficient, and there were no compaints with the standard of cleanliness in our room. The bar in reception is not all inclusive, nor is the tavern at the end of the complex. We walked into Las Palmas along the beach which took us just over an hour. We spent a nice day there.. We then walked back across the dunes, this took longer and it was hard work, but well worth it. If you have a good sense of humour it's worth seeing all the nudists. They walk out of bushes with nothing on except maybe sandals and a ruck sack on their backs. Mostly men than women, and all senior in age.

The Dunas suites has great potential, but they need to get their staff personality transplants, more staff and new chefs.

Oh I forgot to say. If you like eggs and bacon for breakfast, look out for the female chef with glasses, she seems to like throwing it at you, and splashing fat all over your clothes!!

I would not go back to the Dunas Suites again, but thats my opinion and not everyone likes the same things and standards.

not a 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member welshfamilyof5

Booked this break in September, arrived on New Year's eve for one week. We have 3 children age 7,10 and 10. We opted for all inclusive, wish we had not bothered.

Quite a nice reception area, a gentleman came out and assisted us with our luggage to the check-in desk and then dissappeared. We were given a map of the resort and pointed in the general direction of our room and left to cart our luggage ourselves. Room was clean, not very comfy beds, either a scalding shower or a cold dribble, no sound proofing, could hear people inadjoining rooms quite clearly. Nice pool area, but only the small section was slightly heated, could get rather crowded on times. Mostly german holiday makers, food was very much directed at the tastes of the majority, sunbeds could be amusing too!!

The food. Yuk! Queue's to get in there, search for a table, hunt for cutlery, teapots were almost impossible to find. Very poor variety and incredibly repetative. Lived on cheese and tomatoes.

Not very helpful staff, when we arrived we were told that we had to reserve a table for dinner as it was New Year's Eve. We had to find the right member of staff, a feat in itself, and were informed that we were late making the reservation but to come along at 8-8.30pm and we would get table. I explained that we had just arrived, there were 5 people for dinner and told that was fine.

When we arrived for dinner at 8, we were made to wait at the side of the entrance with a few other english speaking famlies while everyone else who was in receipt of the all important resevation slip (which I was not given) were ushered past us. I was mortified. My children were tired and hungry, I was not impressed. We approched the staff at the door three times to complain and were ushered away from the entrance every time. It was only when I spotted the man I had spoken to in the afternoon and addressed him with my complaint did I get anywhere. I ws told again that I had been late in making the reservation and he shrugged his shoulders and said we would have to wait. I asked approximately how long and was told 10mins. So I then asked for a reservation slip for 10 mins time so that I could go and sit with my family and have a drink. I was shown to a table immeadiately. The food was grim at best.

The children enjoyed the pool area and the location is fine, we ate out a few times and really enjoyed those meals.

We would visit Gran Canaria again, weather fab but would not go back to the Dunas Suites.

We liked it!

by TripAdvisor Member CPtuk

My wife and I stayed at the Dunas Suites and villas for 1 week from the 7th until the 14th of January on an all inclusive basis,
I have come back and read the reviews on here and although I can see where some of the comments are coming from I don't agree.
If you have stayed in all inclusive family based hotels before then this in my experience is the same and in some respects even better

Room was a bedroom with two large single beds pushed together. But they were LARGE. We had a bathroom with bath and shower and twin sinks. Tv had a mixture of channels of all languages. Only 1 in english was CNN news. ok thats not so great but the brochure for this holiday warned me of that and although I love my SKY tv I can live without it for a few days. Living room had a fridge which is a nice touch to keep stuff cool / baby food - water etc...... but no kettle. So take one or hire one for 10 euros for the week from reception.

There are 5 pools in all. The main big one isnt heated, but the baby pool next to it and the jacuzzi next to it are. All the other pools on the site are heated 4 in all - and very nice - we were in them every day.

There is a childs playground with the usual stuff in it - all well maintained.

Breakfast is the usual help yourself style with everyone queuing to be served ( isn't that what all inclusive is always like) We always got a table - yes it was busy - sometimes there wasn't one - but we always found the restaurant staff quick to clear a table and get you sat down if you smiled nicely!
After day 3 we realised u can have breakfast in the outside but covered restaurant outside next to the main pool. slightly less selection but much calmer and relaxing.
Also if you book 2 days ahead you can eat evenning meal in that part too - again great table service and time to chat to the staff and get the best out of them! These were themed meals- Chinese - Italian and Canarian ( which was our favourite).

In contrast to other reports i have just read - I found the drinks most generious. Large beers - if you want a large spirits - just ask - they don't care! - I drink whisky and they would have filled the glass to the top if I had let them.
Also there is either the main bar on a night until 1AM with a kids mini disco follow by some form of entertainment. And at one of the pool bars you can drink in a quiet atmosphere until 11pm.
In addition to drinks - snacks are available all day at the pool bars - fairly basic - hot dogs - burgers - chips salad and toasties - but its food!

Yes the staff arn't the most " smiley - jolly" people - however I found that if you make an effort with them they are most obliging.
Towels are changed daily - but one day we were left with just 1 for 4 of us. I rang reception and politely explained. within 15 minutes they brought fresh towels.
Next day the baby pee'd the bed - they replaced the bedding . Next day his nappy leaked in his sleep and this time it was poo! - again - the maid came and changed it - very happy and laughing about it!

I think the staff are of various nationalities as the cross section of people staying there demands it. They are obviously busy and some are better than others at overcoming this barrier.

I would certainly go back here - knowing what to expect.

I know its meant to be 4 star - but Spanish 4 star and Uk 4 star just ain't the same thing!

Could you stay in a Uk 4 star all inclusive for this kind of money including drinks....hmmmmmmm i think not!

Don't Trust Internet Site

by TripAdvisor Member BillClintonUSA

Arrived on the 31st Dec with 3 children Twins boys at 6 years old a wee girl 3. For a 7 night stay. This aint no 4 Star Hotel more like a 2 Star. Reception very unhelpfull, and when problems arose they resort to spanish and forget their English. Our first rooms we suppost to be ajoining. they were to differnent rooms..not much good for a family, eventually we were changed to two apartments next door. Still not much good but this was the best they could do.Very basic rooms,old tvs with CNN as the only english channel. No mini bar unless you stocked it. One bar at night again very tired looking, last done up about 1970 or so, with the old wicker chairs.
Worst of all the food. They use very very poor quality ingredients,and not much choice,especially for children. We ended eating out every night even though we had paid H/B as the food was so bad and you even have to que like sheep for your table then que for the food. Unless they radically change their way of thinking, which is NOT customer focused they will lose all decent customers. PS DON'T BOOK ALL INCLUSIVE as the food sits out all day under plate heaters...no wonder half the hotel had tummy bugs.

the awful resturant and watered down fruit juice

by TripAdvisor Member ly4875

nicely laid out hotel and grounds but that's the best of it the rooms are nice but the resturant is dreadful having to fight to get a table lay your own dishes and cutlery and if youre lucky having to clear your table before you start this is most definetley not a 4 star hotel more like a 2/3 star when we arrived the reception staff just gave us a map and left us to find our our room and noone offered any help with our luggage this hotel caters mainly for german guests and are really not intrested in you if you are british in the resturant there were 2 men in suits trying to look good they may have been the managers god knows but when i approached one asking about a table one night i was just ushered away impressed i don't think the resturant staff are just downright rude most of the time as most of the staff at this so called 4 star hotel the only angels in the hotel were the maids who cleaned our room they were lovely please if you like fruit juice with your breakfast dont have it i have never tasted watered down fruit juice like that before yuck the food is very lacking in variety and tends to be only lukewarm anyway and you have to queue for everything dont get exicted about breakfast you are only allowed to have 2 pieces of bacon ha ha i have stayed at a few 4 star hotels in my time but never never one where i had to clear my own table and get my own dishes in the resturant the staff in this hotel need to go on a training course soon in how to deal with british guests i will NEVER RETURN TO THIS HOTEL
there is no entertainment at this hotel either or maybe i missed it
PLEASE STAY ELSEWHERE IF YOU ARE GOING TO GRAN CANARY

dont go!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member JANDBDORSET

We had booked for 2 weeks all inclusive but only stayed 4 days
we found the complex very nice and the suite was ok but the standard of cleaning was awful, the dining room had to be seen to be believed getting a table was difficult and when we did it took ages for the staff to clear it of the previous users utensils and leftovers and another 5 mins to lay it up again.the food was boring ,repetative and tasteless the lady cooking breakfast was hopeless and always covered in splashed oil the eggs were thrown into a deep pan half filled with oil and always came out running with oil, the staff in the dining room were rude and did not want to help ,the whole time we were there we asked for red wine with our meal but were told they only had white or rose,
So much for all inclusive
We are older travellers and were surprised at the number
of children at the end of January.they completly took over the smaller pools and the main pool had very loud pop music all day long and the food at the pool bar was left uncovered and covered in flies
The travel rep was very helpful when we asked for a move
and got us another hotel very quickly
all in all the hotel far from being 4* was probably only 2*
i must add that in 30 years of going abroad this is the first time
i have had cause to complain so to all travel agents i would say
drop this hotel as it does not do your reputation any favours

Not very happy John & Barb

Very enjoyable stay - plesantly surprised!

by TripAdvisor Member lauraj1000

We were a little dubious about this hotel, given the mixed reviews on this site, however, I have to say we were very plesantly surprised!

Hotel and Rooms:
The location was great (about a leisurely 15 min walk from the beach) and we couldn't really fault the hotel. The rooms were nice and big with a seperate living area, and the bathroom was spacious with a seperate shower to the bath - fresh towels every day and the room was cleaned daily.
The pools around the hotel were very clean, some heated some not. The heated ones were not really warm but perfectly fine once you got in - you can definitely feel the difference between the heated ones and the ones that aren't!

Food:
One of the main things we were dubious about was the food (some of the other reviews talk about how awful it was and having to queue), however we found it absolutely fine. Granted it is a buffet and nothing flash but there is plently of variety so you don't get bored from one day to the next. We only noticed the restaurant to be busy if you went as soon as it opened but we never queued once. Also we went All Inclusive and found it to be definitely worth doing - we still ate out a few times but it was good to come back to the free drinks at the end of the night!

Staff:
Generally the staff were very good although in the restaurant they were very busy so occasionally you would have to help yourself to coffee etc. The entertainment staff were really good during the day - usually on the lookout for people to join in the activities but they didn't hassle you at all.

Overall I would say that we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to others. Any negatives? Ok if I'm going to nit pick, the TV only had one English channel and the white wine was not great (I switched to vodka tonic for the week). Other than that I can't think of anything else!

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member guzzlers

After reading the other reviews on this site we were expecting something pretty ropey, but were pleasantly surpised. We booked this last minute with 'on the beach's website for a holiday with the kids, who are 4 and 3. The hotel proved to be spot on for them.

We booked a superior suite, which was a bit bigger than the normal suites. It only cost an additional £20 and was really worth it. It was within easy walking distance to the pool and the restaurent and the play park. It had two large bedrooms seperated by a living area, and there was a reasonable bathroom. OK the TV was a bit of a let down in that they only had CNN as their English channel, but you don't go on holdiday to watch TV, so I lived with it for a week. I had a good book.

The food was much better than I expected. We ate our breakfast in the covered area by the pool which was much quieter, if you couldn't find what you wanted at their buffet, you could wander into the main restaurent and choose something else. You had a choice of cereal, cooked breakfast, bread rolls, cakes, fruit, cheese, cold meats, in fact more than enough for breakfast. We didn't have lunch as we were half board but the evening meal definitely filled the gap. They always had different types of fresh salad, fish, one night they had giant garlic prawns that the guy cooking them on the griddle was practically giving away in huge piles, as people were not going for them! And they were delicious, if you like prawns. For the kids there was pasta each night, chips, meat of various descriptions, but mine ate the fish, they also liked the soup. The puddings were a disappointment, they did have funny cream all over them, but then the cheese was really good and there was always a vast array of fruit. We certainly didn't go hungry.

The staff were helpful, and I dind't come across any that were grumpy,maybe I was lucky. The maid cleaned our room every day, and it was spotless. The pool area could have been a bit cleaner but I'm fussy.

The beach and sand dunes are lovely, it is unfortunate that naked fat germans quite literally hang out there. There isn't much to do outside the complex. The complex by the way was lovely and green with palm trees and various plants, comapred to outside which was all a bit barren. The cheapest supermarket was Faro 2 not the one in the complex. Oh and if you want to buy duty free, don't get anything at the airport as its a big rip off, get your stuff on the flight which was a lot cheaper.

The baby pool was safe, the main pool was just about warm enough, and next to it was a heated pool. The only shame was that the only people putting their towels out and hogging the sunbeds near the pool and creating a morning panic were us Brits.

But if you want sunshine, this has our thumbs up.

The beach.The beach.