Avenida de Papagayo, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, 35570, Spain

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Royal in Name and Nature

This is without a doubt the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at in the Canary Islands, and I have stayed in very many over the years.

We had a junior suite, which was excellent in every way. The room was huge even by modern hotel room standards, and very well furnished. In addition to what you might expect, the rooms here have little kitchen areas with a microwave. Ideal for people with young kids who might want to prepare special meals for them.

The public areas are exquisite - even the check in desks are attractive and made to look rustic. There's a huge indoor pond with trees and other greenery, plus an ornamental bridge.

The pool area is again very spacious, with no shortage of sunbeds and fluffy towels. One of the things I find really cute is that some sunbeds are on a sort of ledge in the swimming pool so that, on really hot days, you can lie with your back in the cooling water and your top facing the sun.

We booked half board and there is a selection of restaurants to choose from. The food was good. They kept seating us beside the dessert table, which was deadly!!! There is in house entertainment every night.

The hotel opens directly onto the seafront promenade, and there is a good selection of restaurants, shops and bars a couple of minutes walk along that prom.

I just love this hotel and will definitely be back.

Unique Quality: Wonderful views of the sea, a terrific location, and very high standards of accomodation.

More about Princesa Yaiza

A lovely family holiday at the Princesa Yaiza

by TripAdvisor Member FamilyT-Stokesley

We have recently returned from the Princesa Yaiza and have had a lovely family holiday in what we considered a great hotel. We read the earlier reports on trip advisor and we're a little apprehensive but any concerns were unjustified.
Check in was easy and very pleasant with the offer of bubbly for my husband and I (juice for the children). Our room was lovely, a duplex suite which was very large and had both pool and sea views (room 449b). Lots of nice touches in the room including bath robes, slippers, toothbrushes, shaving kits, etc.
We thought the hotel itself was lovely lots of nice public areas and very spacious. Yes the pool was cold but the children didn't mind and neither did my husband and I after the initial shock!
We were on a B&B basis and thought breakfast was very good, lots of choice and very satisfying. We ate out of the hotel for our evening meal and generally found the food good and the service friendly.
The children enjoyed kikoland the youngest (age 4) thought the kooky club was great and the oldest (age 8) enjoyed the sports facilities tennis, paddles and football.
We would recommend the hotel to familiesand would return for another relaxing holiday in a family friendly luxury hotel.

Princessa Yaiza April 2005

Like some of the other reviewers I had been concerned to read some of the critical reviews of Princessa Yaiza after booking my 7 night stay.

Overall my concerns were ungrounded. Physically the hotel is very impressive and well maintained. We stayed in a Junior Suite on B wing which is in the middle of the hotel with sea and pool views. The room itself was excellent - large comfortable bed, living area and large well fitted bathroom. As previously reported there is a kitchen area with minibar and microwave. TV options were limited to news channels for English language, but then we didn't go on holiday to watch TV.....

The staff overall were good. Check in was efficient although the bell boys did take 60 mins to deliver our bags - we didn't tip !.

Facilities were pretty good. The pools were pretty clean and were cleaned daily. Although unheated they were not unduly cold and the kids present didn't appear bothered at all. The Bar areas were fine and not too expensive. We also managed to get Internet access without any problem - if you take your laptop you can use that in your room, but we paid 5 Euro for 30 mins access in their business centre [Open 24 hrs].

For families concerned that they might be put up in a "concrete annexe" as described by one reviewer - there is a seperate wing linked by an underground corridor but on our inspection it looked fine and had a seperate pool area, being only 2 mins walk from the main hotel area.

Food wise we paid for Bed and Breakfast. Breakfast is a buffet affair with a wide choice of Continental and Cooked Breakfasts . The standard was good and usually negated the need for lunch. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants in the evenings because a. They were expensive and b. they was a good choice of local restaurants. Buffet Dinner was quoted at 35 Euro without drinks which I think is steep especially as a nice restaurant meal with wine could be had for 60 euro. All the restaurants were open however, including the Japanese restaurant.

The nightclub was closed for refurbishment so I cannot comment on its quality. the town itself is modern ++. Although there was not a great amount of building near the hotel in the next few years I imagine that the resort will have expanded greatly. The Beach was nice - but shelved pretty steeply and sea very clear and clean: as you would expect. Overall the town/beach were fine and modern - OK for a week in the sun but probably not much longer or for return trips

The bottom line: Princessa Yaiza was as advertised and didn't disappoint. I think it is probably wrong to compare with American/European 5 star hotels as in view of its size [massive] and catering for families it is in a rather different niche. Would I go back: No but this is because we saw most of Lanzarote in a week and there are plenty of other places I would like to see, rather than because of the hotel. Would I be worried if I had just booked a holiday: NO

Yaiza

by cheekymarieh

This is a village in the middle of the malpais which miraculously managed to escape the volcanic eruptions of 1730-6. It is like an oasis in the middle of the desrt.
All around the village you can see the black larva trails which narrowly missed the village.

Parque Nacional de Timanfaya -...

by Herttuli

Parque Nacional de Timanfaya - Yaiza, Lanzarote.
Observing the volcanic and arid landscape of Timanfaya - also known as the Fire Mountains - with its diversity of colours and shapes you perfectly can imagine how it must feel to walk on the moon. The massive volcanic eruptions took place between 1730 and 1736, formed 100 volcanic craters and wiped out 10 villages.

Relaxed, unpretentious 5* Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Piglet34

We returned to the Princesa Yaiza for the 3rd time and yet again we had a fantasic holiday. We've stayed at some top hotels but find many very pretentious. Here we are able to relax and not worry that the children are just behaving like children!

The hotel is well laid out. The rooms are a good size and well equipped. A full size 'fridge in all rooms is useful for storing supermarket bought soft drinks etc. The pool area is lovely. There is a good sized children's pool and two large other pools. Yes they are a tad on the cold side but the children didn't seem to mind! Never been during the school holidays but never had any problem getting a sunbed. The food at the poolside restuarant is excellent. (Fish of the day with the Canarian Potatoes was to die for!!) The Breakfast buffet is very extensive and efficient and they rotate the 3 resturants during the morning meaning each stays looking fresh.

The position right on the fantasic Playa Dorada beach is brilliant. The facilities here are superb - very clean, 3 bars/restuarants/small selection of watersports.

A very pleasant 10 minute stroll along the front (no road) takes you into Playa Blanca. It's not the pretiest town in the world but hey this is Lanzarote. There are loads of places to eat/drink. Almacen del Sel and the La Vaca Tijuana being our favourites.

Back to the hotel..The buffets in the evenings are ok but a bit repetitive and we prefer to go out anyway. They have a varied entertainment program which we didn't think was tacky in any way.

The service can be, shall we say, laid-back at times but generally I'd say it wasn't a problem. You are on holiday after all!

We love the place and have already booked our 4th trip later this year.

Five Star facilities & location but poor service

by TripAdvisor Member Scareys

Just returned from a week at Princesa Yaiza with my wife and two children (aged 7 & 5). Facilities were excellent and the family suites provided superb accomodation. The kikoland restaurant (within the family suite complex) had just opened and was providing breakfast only. There were insufficient staff to cope with clearing tables amd providing tea / coffee. Management were rarely seen in the complex.

The other restaurants in the main complex also provided a breakfast buffet but there were queues to get in and also queues for the chef to cook you a spanish omelette, scrambled eggs, etc. Also ensure that if you are a non-smoker you ask the staff to seat you in the (far too small) non-smoking sections of the restaurant.

Lunches/snacks were very expensive and not the quality one would expect for the prices charged. Eating in the resort just a short walk away proved much better quality and value. I would particularly recommend Tipico Canaria - a small and very friendly restuarant whose meals were excellent quality.

Kikoland complex was superb for the kids but again the catering facilites were not clean enough and there were not enough staff.

Toilet facilities throughout the hotel complex were not maintained to the standard we would expect in UK.

In summary, a fantastic asset in terms of location and facilities let down by poor service, bad management and not enough attention to detail. This hotel does not deserve its 5 star deluxe rating. Want to see how it should be done? - Go to Dubai.

Absolutely wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member LadyRose

Me and my husband stayed at the Yaiza for our 10th aniversary for two weeks. We expected luxury, and the Yaiza was all we imagined and more. The suites are big and really nicely furnished. The design of the hotel I admired every day and never got tired of walking the long halls, cause they are just so beautiful there is always something new to see. The breakfast is simply beyond imagination and impossible to get tired of, even for two weeks. We only had dinner at the Japonese restaurant in the hotel, the food was good, but the "SHOW" was pretty much non existing. And a little bit weird haveing the same waitress waiting on us at breakfast the morning after.
Anyway the location is one of the best in Playa blanca, a little quiet beach, but nice for a relaxing holiday.
Everyone is greeted there with a drink while checking in, and because of our wedding aniversary they even placed a bottle of champagne in the fridge and some chockolate dipped strawberrys on a plate decorated with chockolate and almonds. And if that was not enough they placed a flower decoration in the living room. Would I go back? DEFINATELY!!!

Great rooms and location....

by TripAdvisor Member hotelscout

Superb rooms, location great. Close to some good restaurants and bars but far enough away to stay out of the crowds if you want to. Buffet breakfast is superb, and the staff are all really helpfull (apart from the reception bar which has terrible service).
Food is good if you decide to stay in but try out the local bars etc. - much cheaper unless you´re really starving and want to do the hotel buffet which is excellent.
Lots of reviewers have mentioned the cold pool...well, it is cold but at least it´s refreshing! If you want a really cold experience, try the sea!
Couple of minor points that we noted....the hotel has a curious habit of welcoming coach parties late at night with a flamenco display in reception. If you have a room close to the lobby this sounds like a herd of elephants trying to demolish the hotel. The other thing is the music - until someone mentioned this I hadn´t really noticed it, but once I had, it became a compulsion! If I hear "I just called to say I love you" performed by a tone deaf frog one more time......
The lower rooms can be a bit dark due to the foliage of the trees, but this might suit you. Rooms near the reception tend to be noisier, but do have a view of the whole pool area.
All in all, a great time and good value. Thanks to all the staff.

Toddler Heaven

by TripAdvisor Member mary_im

I visited in May with my 4 year old daughter and my mum with a little trepidation because of earlier reviews. There are issues which a good management should resolve - feeling abandoned at checkin, very limited pool service, towels, chilly pools etc. But the positives far outweighed those - the staff are really friendly, the hotel is in a fantastic location right by the toddler friendly beach and the pedestrian walkway taking you to the little town. My daughter made loads of friends around the large pool and really enjoyed the kids club, toasted sandwiches and the playgrounds there (although the pool in the kids club is very strangely freezing) and mucking about on the beach. We didn't bother eating dinner in the hotel and walked into playa blanca instead - it's not gourmet cuisine but it is very kid friendly with lots of choice, tables outside, parrots to feed and lovely sunsets. We all particularly liked the italian restaurent with excellent pizza and pasta, kids sizes of everything, a balcony to watch the world go by and great staff. The spa is fantastic, and the water treatments so relaxing I fell asleep floating in the pool! For all out luxury, full time child care or michelin starred food go elsewhere, but for a week in the sun with some time off to relax and a toddler and/or granny to entertain it is fantastic!

Princess Yaiza or Papagayo Arena?

by bigbum

Just in process of booking our first trip to lanzarote in a few weeks, and cannot decide between the above Hotels? We are a 30something married couple, no kids, and we would want to go out and eat at night, rather than do the buffet thing in the hotel. We like good food, nice restaurants/bars. Which one would we be best suited to? Any advice much appreciated.

Comments