Sun Tropical

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Sun Tropical

Great, but not again

I recently came back from Lanzoratie, I was self-catering. The Hotel sun tropical was a great resort, great for Kids however the night-time entertainment was loud and frankly poor. The food in the hotel was great, buts thats not from the main resturant, but from Tex-Mex, Pizzera and the Chicken shack. The staff were extremly friendly esspeially a bar maid who works in the Village Taveren, she was extreamly helpful and spoke exelent english. However this resort was very under staffed and one person worked on the bar in all the bars.

The surrending town was great, because I was self-catered I had to eat of ever night, which turn out for the best because I never had one bad meal in the two weeks in which I was there, there were small problems with service in some places and one in particlar was Don Camilliolie's, the food was great but the service was poor, the kids meals came 20 miniutes before the adults and when the kids finished their meal it is hard to keep them entertained while you have to eat, also my brother in law had asked for a mexicain chiken breast but it came cold after waiting 40 miniutes for it so he didn't have it and never paid for it.

So if your going to the Sun Tropical Playa Blanca, then I strongly reccomade a chinesse Resturant called Jasmine. Also for a great pub luanch/dinner I recommand Mollies Irish Pub (its next to Burger king) plus on football match nights they always have the best matches on because they have Sky sports.

If you go on trips with the Hotel I strongly Recomand Rancho Texas, its a place for all the family theres a kids area, bucking bronco, live enterainment (Line dancing, bull whip show, lasso show). The food is paid for and so is the beer, so when you want a refill for your beer, you just had to hold you glass in the air and shout "Yee Haa" and a member of staff (Dressed as a cowboy) would come and refill it.

So thats it for my review.

PS, if you go on the Grand tour with the Sun Tropical watch out for Manfredo, he's the over male friendly tour guide, so men watch out.

good holiday had by all

Stayed at at sun tropical 14th to 21st febuary on all inclusive basis with a group of 6 adults and 3 kids. Couldn't fault anything even the weather had picked up the food was better than most of the all inclusives i'd been on before even enjoyed the tex mex was ok, kids loved it my 12 year old thought the astra turf football pitch was brill has he put it.

Came home early !!!

My boyfriend and I travelled to Sun Tropical with First Choice from the 6th - 16th June.We knew from the brochure that both Sun Tropical and Playa Blanca itself it would be family friendly places, but we were very disappointed to see exactly HOW family friendly it was. The place was just over-run with children (some very young - why would you take a 3 month old baby to a place with 80 degree heat ?) and some parents feel it is appropraite to :

a) let their 2 and 3 year olds run up and down the corridors outside peoples apartments at 2am making as much noise as they like

b) bring their babies to the bars at night and insist on staying in these bars till 1am,again, letting their children run riot because they are so tired and actually should have been in bed hours ago.

also, how about sun tropical allowing ADULTS to use the jacuzi, rather than children every minute of the day ? would it really kill you to make something adults only ? tip - the pools are always FREEZING, no matter how hot it gets. be careful.

And the food court? do me a favour - we went self catering but if we had gone all inclusive i would be cross at the standard. Also - dont bother using the on site supermarket. wait and go to the supermarkets in play blanca as they have much better choice and fresher produce.

Sun tropical has NOTHING for couples without children, so we escaped to playa blanca every day. If you get your swipe card for the back gate, it is only a 15 min walk to playa dorada beach, which is a lovely little beach, suitable for everyone. Either that or go to reception and ask them to get you a taxi. taxis are very good, about 3 euros a trip and very quick.The beach bars do very nice salads, toasted sandwiches and baguettes as well.

we were dissapointed in playa blanca as a town, espcially at night. we struggled to find anywhere decent to eat, as all the resturants served exactly the same food. I would recommed the Ponderosa - which is on the main street, just up from the taxi rank, next to a chinese resturant. Beautiful steak and fish, lovely wine and great service. also there is a lovely italian place just up from the seafront. when youre walking along the front it is just off to your right, with turquiose blue shutters. wonderful food and good service.

Not much to do at nights though. the 3 best places to go were the kings head on the seafront parade - good live music and choice of beers. The irish pub just off the seafront, good irish live music every night. and Mollies irish bar, just up from burger king at the play dorada beach. good live music every night and good atmosphere.

we were meant to stay until the 16th, however, due to the weather not being great (no-ones fault) but also being bored out our minds with both playa blanca and sun tropical ( our fault for picking the wrong place ?) we decied to call it a day and come home a few days early on the 13th. first choice reps very helpful in getting us a flight home as soon as we asked for it and were always on hand at the resort when needed. i would recommend going to your welcome meeting as they do offer some good trips , although pricey, they are worth going on.

although there isnt much you could really fault sun trop on itself - they keep the whole place very clean, our apartment was very spacious and kept clean and the reps on site were good - we felt it should be emphasised in the brochure exactly how geared to families sun tropical is. if it had made it clearer that it wasnt really suitable for couples, we would have gone elsewhere. or if they are going to market it for everyone, try remebering that are people in the world how dont have children, and we still like to have a holiday as much as those who do have children.

Wonderful relaxing holiday

We have just returned from a weeks rest in Lanzarote - and we didn't want to come home!!! Another week would have been ideal!

We were very wary about the "Holiday Village" initially, but that wore off very quickly! We couldn't fault the complex. Even though we managed a weeks holiday without our 4 kids, had they been there with us - we would never have worried about the safety and security around the complex. Even though its a large area, the fences and gates keep out strangers, and keep the kids IN! We would definitely consider going back with them at some point.

We would definitely recommend the Sun Tropical for people like us - wanting a nice relaxing time, but also to families! Good all rounder.

Much Better Than I Feared

by TripAdvisor Member Sheryl_McQ

I booked this as a late deal and was somewhat nervous after reading previous reviews. I can only say that I needn't have worried. The check in was quick and efficient. We were situated in the Strawberry block just outside of reception. I very much liked this cul de sac as there was a garden in the middle as opposed to some of the others that had pools. This made it nice and quiet through the day if we were sun bathing. Other blocks had either pools, gardens or jacuzzis. Them main pool was closed during our stay as it is getting repainted. This didn't bother us at all as there are plenty of other areas to sun yourself in. The food was very good. I do not take a cooked breakfast myself but my husband did say that that was somewhat disappointing. Plenty of other things to be had though. Lunch and dinner were varied every night and I thought they were of a fine standard for an All Inclusive property. The food in such establishments is never five star but I am a fussy eater and I can honestly say that I enjoyed my food every day. The maids cleaned the room every day except Sunday and seemed to make a good job of it. Ask at Reception for a back door card key. You pay a 5 euro deposit but get this back when you hand your card in. This makes the walk to the resort much quicker. The resort is not very far away anyway and we found it a very nice walk in the evening. Hire a car if you want to make the most of the island as admission to the attractions is ether free or about 8 euros (Timanfaya/Jameos del Agua)and considering what the operators charge for excursions, hiring a car suddenly becomes a very good option. I would definitely travel to the Sun Tropical again as I had a very enjoyable holiday. There are a lot of kids there but they have plenty of activities and things to do so are not really running wild. I would however recommend it mostly for families who will probably not be able to fault it.

great if your english

by TripAdvisor Member moyle-rvrs

just back from lanzarote Sun Tropical.It is one of the best hotels and complex resorts i have ever stayed. All the bull about bad food is not true. First choice sent two chefs over there to sort it out and they done a fab job(congrats Mike and Neil ).
The weather was not great but you cant blame the hotel for that like other reviewers were doing.
The lobby bar needs some sort of character to it other than the very friendly Freya behind the counter.
If you dont mind seeing every person you meet there in union jack tops ,shorts ,socks. its a great place even though we are Irish, What capped the holiday was when we beat them in rugby. Sorry I had to get that in.

to many kids

we found far more kids than we thought there would be due to it being term time. but the apartment was very clean and well set up. the pool was a little cold and the sun loungers could do with replacing . we never used the nigt-time food or entertainment ,it seemed more geered towards young familys we got aback gate pass and walked to playa blanca its a fare step but worth it i would recomend tipico on the waterfront. would i go back you bet i would ,but would prefer to go somewhere with less kids ,

Nightmare

I have just returned from my holiday to the Playa Blanca resort in Lanzarote. I was angered by the way we were treated by the staff just because we were not all inclusive. We went to book the tennis court on several occasions and each time they had stupid excuses. Also when it got too dark to play football we went to ask if they could put the floodlights on and their excuse was "no because it is too dark". I would only reccomend this outragous place to familys woth small childeren as the reps only entertain the kids.

Great Holiday!

We stayed at this hotel in mid May, I travelled with my husband and 2 1/2 yr old. We all had a great holiday, the ammenties in the room were fantastic, kitchen wise we had everything thing we needed and more. Plenty of pools so none of them felt over crowded. I would agree that the pool was a little cold but once you were in for a minute you soon got used to it. It was quite refreshing after being in the warm sunshine. I would say this had another bonus for us as it meant that our daughter was only at the water for about 1.5 hours at a time. Which certainly stopped her getting burn't or sunstroke. The food on site was nice also, we went self catering so did eat out or cook in alot. Can reccommend 'The Grill' on the sea front went back twice!
The reps were great, you have to see there reps night on a tuesday night, good laugh. My daughter I have to say was in love with Jimmy the rep, tears when we left. Def go here if you have small kids but I do now older people who had great time also.

My honest opinion

Arrived at this resort after reading mixed reports but overall it was a great complex ideal for families with young children. I can't understand people who criticise this resort for having too many children. It is designed for kids so if you don't like children book somewhere else!! The complex is enclosed with a large fence but this is for secuirity and safety of guests. The last thing anyone wants is children wandering off or thefts taking place. We were immediatlety impressed by the cleanliness of the place. An army of gardeners, cleaners, maid etc seem to work hard in the coolness of early mornings to make the place clean and tidy. There is a maid service 6 out of 7 days and they leave your pad very clean. Food in the complex is OK but nothing brilliant. If we had gone all exclusive then I would have been dissapointed as the food was very similar on most nights. However, the beer and wine is good and there is plenty of it. Playa Blanca is good for restuarants (avoid the buy one get one free bar/arcade at the front) but you do have to shop around for a good choice/deal.

The three restuarants in the complex were again OK but again lacked choice. Playa Blanca is easily reached by the coutesy bus. Arsy driver mind who will only pick up if you wait in the car park next to the bin that reads"STOP BUS". Taxis cheap but drivers not very friendly.

The reps were helpful in the main and the entertainment good on most nights. We did a number of excurions including the Grand Tour and Teguise market. Do not do the Grand Tour if you are scared of hieghts as the trip to the volcanoes involved winding country roads with nothing between you and a 300ft drop. Thankfully our driver was well qualified and took his time. My wife however was terrified and when she reached the top deposited a large amount of poo in the nearest toilet. Teguise market is Ok if you like tacky goods but it does get very busy.

Weather was great -the breeze is a god send and we were never uncomfortably hot at any time.

Overall would go back to PlayaBlanca and the complex but if you do not like noisy kids dont even go there.

Comments