Calle La Hondura S/N, Los Gigantes, Puerto de Santiago, Tenerife, 38683, Spain
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Aparthotel Tamaimo Tropical

Tamaimo Tropical stinks - No, it literally stinks!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member theworldsmyoyster

I have just got back on Friday after a week at the Tamaimo Tropical Apartments with my significant other and two children aged 9 and 6. We booked on the internet only three weeks before going and then read some pretty awful reviews which frankly were a bit scary especially the reports of thefts - we therefore didn't take anything we valued. We decided at the onset to go with no expectations but just to relax as this break was an added bonus having been away for two weeks in June. Our tour operator was Direct Holidays and we flew from Liverpool as opposed to Manchester as usual and we found this to be absolutely fine with no delays whatsoever unlike our previous experience with the much busier Manchester. On arrival at the apartments, which on first impressions seemed OK, we were led by a security guard through a maze of corridors and then up some steps to the 'Attica' only to find that firstly the key didn't work and then to an apartment on a rather tatty looking roof terrace which was only suitable for two people - back to reception, where a very flustered and embarrassed member of staff explained that Direct Holidays had only advised them to expect a party of two - we were asked to wait whilst a suitable apartment for four was cleaned, which we did (I have to add here that the staff were very helpful and promptly had us sorted out).

When we entered the apartment the smell (hence the title) hit us immediately, it seemed to be coming from the bathroom and was evidently the drains, it seemed to ease during the day but came back at night and in the morning it was terrible (or maybe it's because I'm somewhat delicate first thing in the morning), anyway all my necessary ablusions were carried out one handed with the other holding my nose. I must say that the cleanliness left a lot to be desired and initially I put this down to the fact that the apartment had been prepared in a hurry and this would be sorted out by the maid the next day, however, this was not case. In the whole week we were there the room was only cleaned every other day, I say cleaned - beds made and towels changed more like - the sheets were not changed at all and the floor most certainly never swept let alone mopped - I did a bit of a clean up but why should you have to? Some people complained of cockroaches - we came across one on the first night which was swiftly despatched - we didn't see where it emerged from and we never saw another - probably because the apartment smelled so awful even the cockroaches avoided it. The complex as a whole was generally very clean but we found the larger pool (there are two) very tatty, in desperate need of updating and dirty with cups and other debris floating in it. We chose to go to the smaller of the two pools which seemed less crowded and cleaner. We didn't ever get sun loungers though as on the first morning I went down at 8am only to find the loungers chained together and people with towels wrapped around umbrellas - I was told by other holidaymakers that the chains only came off at 9am and unless you sat around for an hour you had no chance of getting one. We decided that we weren't going to waste seven hours of our short holiday doing that so we went down in the morning and afternoon for an hour or two and let the kids go in the pool whilst we sat at the tables near the bar reading. Fortunately, we got sun on our balcony much of the day. Most of the people at the Tamaimo were either on all inclusive or half board but we were self-catering (something I prefer anyway, but was even more relieved of on this occasion). The restaurants in the near vicinity were generally quite good but we liked the San Francisco the best which served nice food at fair prices especially if you have a family as all dishes could be prepared as half portions and at half price. Our end of the resort was nice and we much preferred it to the part either up the steps or the hill (not suitable for the infirm and a challenge to most in fact), but we thought Los Gigantes was well worth the 15 minute walk across Crab Island, more pictureque with some good restaurants. Our favourite was the Indian called Krishna's, so if you like curries I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, better than most English Indians we've been to and with a kids menu offering plainer fayre.

I have to say that I most definitely would not go back to Tamaimo Tropical Apartments but to be fair we rarely repeat anyway. The tour operators rating of 3 star plus is in no way accurate and I would say it would probably rate only as a 2. Our fears regarding thefts never materialised, however, we carried our money and digital camera with us at all times and at night put a chair against the door. Therefore, as we never left anything worth taking lying around it's hard to say whether anyone ever tried to enter when we weren't there.

I know it sounds paradoxical but despite a smelly and mucky apartment and no sun loungers etc we all had a very relaxing holiday, the resort is very peaceful and the sun shone everyday. We are quite frequent travellers and long ago resolved to make the most of every situation within reason, but if you like spotless accommodation, a touch of luxury and a lively resort I'd advise you to steer well clear of this one.

changes at tamaimo

by TripAdvisor Member ceach

date 3rd July 2005 Have just returned after having 2 great weeks at the Tamaimo Tropical We were a bit apprehensive about staying there after reading other reviews about thefts going on there. We approached our rep when we arrived he old us to speak to the manager we did and he assured us that a member of staff had been involved and had now been dismissed .while we were there the hotel was changing from key entry to rooms to electronic card system.they seem to be making a good effort to improve facilities. the hotel in general was well run. a good holiday.

great hoilday

by TripAdvisor Member hoildaylover

Spend 2 weeks at the aparthotel tamaimo tropical and it was a great hoilday went with my partner and my two kids aged 1 and 3 and also with two other familys and we did'nt have one complaint about the apartments which were a good standard and clean all the staff we met were polite and helpful the swimming pools were clean which the kids enjoyed everyday.
the surroundings were nice with everythink near by with the supermarket a 1 minute walk with bars in the same area which do food and drink all day with the restaurants opening at 5.00 pm which we found to be good value for money.
A small problem we did find when we got there was when wanted to go to the main part of the town (playa del la arena ) it was quite 'hilly' and has we took a double buggy with us the first night we went there it was quite tiring ! also with the paths quite narrow people with buggys or wheelchairs be warned !.
But we found the best way to get there was to get a taxi from the hotel which costs about 4 euros return.
We also found that if you are booking excursions (aquapark, loro parque) go thought your rep because if you try and book from other places they do not include your coach return.
if you want a quite family hoilday try tamaimo tropical.

Non existant Customer Service

A cautionary tale I can honestly say this is the worst place we have ever stayed in and the area was quite poor in terms of facilities and restaurant choices too.
We arrived on the Tuesday and the following day it rained and or studio apartment roof leaked.We reported it to reception who sent up a "maintennance chap" who looked at the hole in the ceiling and exclaimed "not possible" and promptly used all our towels to put underneath to catch the dripping. A few dry days past and despite repeated visits to reception and mentioning the lack of repairs to our rep nothing had happened and the hole in the ceiling just above the curtain rail was still there, unresolved. Saturday and it rained heavily all day and all night and the hole grew bigger and water began to drip heavier into the room and we captured it in buckets. So a sleepless night ensued and when we spoke to reception next morning we encountered rudeness and brusqueness on a level we have never before experienced. Despite the fact our room was swimming and no attempts had been made to rectify the ceiling we were told quite rudely that no alternative rooms were available and to put up with the situation. I rang the `Mytravel emergency number and with in an hour and a half we were moved to an alternative hotel in Playa L`Arena and upgraded to half board. Poetic justice since Tamaimo tropical would be footing the bill! If you are visiting the local restaurants watch out for the Spanish waiter who is very lecherous and touchy towards young females.

Burglaries rife in hotel rooms

My partner and I have just returned from holiday on Friday 19th August after a fortnight at the Tamaimo. We booked late through Airtours with allocation on arrival so we couldn't research the hotel beforehand. Big mistake! First impressions were great; big apartment (a family room for the two of us) large balcony, all immaculately clean. We met a family in the first couple of days who warned us there had been thefts from the rooms but no break-ins, suggesting inside jobs (the entry systems on the doors were electronic cards). A bit unnerving but we kept money etc with us when we went out and thought no more about it.
Holiday was great till the last night when I got up for a drink about 2am and the front door was slightly ajar. Thought we mustn't have shut it properly, but went for our beach bag with bottle of water in it and couldn't find it. It's the most sickening panick when you put two and two together and realise they were in the apartment while we were asleep. Luckily we had shut the bedroom door or they could have been in there as well. (Wallet and one phone etc. still in the bedside table). We lost our digital camera with a fortnight's photos on it including dolphin trips etc, one mobile phone and about 100 euros.
I reported it to reception who told us to phone police in, wait for it, Madrid! Of course we couldn't get through. We spoke to at least 9 other families from the same landing (we were in room 432) who were burgled in the same night, some from their safe (with key), and all returning home the following day. Shame they haven't sorted this out. It's been going on for months and spoils a lovely hotel. I'd be interested to receive e-mail from anyone who was there while we were. All the more ammo for the tour operator and insurance company. Safety in numbers etc!

Great Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member NatalieMinett

Had a great time, me my boyfriend his sister and her 18mnt old son. We stayed on the 2nd floor with is reception level. There pool area is great but the food around the pool is not that good.

round the corner is an aberbeen steak house which is great value for money.

DON'T GO TO THE COCKTAIL BAR!! it round the corner we went one morning for breakfast and in the pepper celler there was beatles in it, we has no apologys or anythink.

little walk along to los gianties but worth it. on the marina there is a small bar called offshore 44 staff aree frendily and foods great.

shame about the thiefs!!

we have just got back from a one week break at the tamiamo tropical appartments...and am i lgad to be home. although we were three 20 ish year olds in a very family and couple orientated resort, we had a lovely time relaxing by the pool and eating and drinking in the local bars and restaurants. our appartment was on the ground floor next to the pool, was very clean when we arrived, although we only saw a maid once during the whole week.

BUT! after our first day my small brand new mp3 player went missing in out appartment. my friends convinced me i was losing my mind but when, 4 days later a mobile phone mysteriously disappeared within an hour of us leaving the room, it became obvious that someone was letting themselves into our room with a key. that night we had locked the patio doors, pulled the cutains, left a light on to make it look like someone was in and double locked the main door. No forced entry. however, even more weird was some missing underwear and a cigarette lighter that had been brought in by the fairies from the balcony to the bedroom...i hoped the cigarette gives them a cough!

just like the other reviews we were met with a wall of 'dumbness'. the staff were of no use what so ever, the police were a waste of time....my friend had to call madrid police to get a crime report sent to the los gigantes station!!! we did feel the security guards were of no use at all, or even were aware of what was happening as they were the only ones to see all three of us leave at the same time. again, just before we left someone knocked very loudly on our door to see if we were there after midnight....we told them to go away. its not a feeling of security that three young women have when faced with intruders with keys!! what was the point in moving us to a different room??

my advice, go if you want somethnig basic and don't value your possessions...otherwise, give it a miss.

lovely but!

accomodation was very pleasing but we had to be moved to another room after three days because of noise. This was no problem and the member of staff who dealt with it was very helpful. 2nd room was great. Only other very worrying problem with this complex is that there have been regular thefts from rooms involving 'Key Entries'. This made us very on edge when out ( a couple we had got friendly with having been robbed ). The hotel also charges a huge 49 euros to rent a safe for a fortnight (with only 5 euros back on key return.)

great holiday

Have just returned from 1 week holiday at this hotel with my 2 sisters. Was very aprehensive about going after reading other reviews. How I wish I hadn't. The hotel was lovely and clean. Stayed on s/c basis & the cleaners were in every day apart from the Sunday.
Went on 4 trips organised by our tour operater. Would really recommend Loro Park & Aquapark(but watch coming down the flumes the water is salty)
Ate a few times at the holiday and it was Okay.
The best places to eat were Aberdeen Steak house & the chinese. Both quite close & a few shot after every meal. very cheap.
The only 2 bad points were the price of the safe & 21euro for a late checkout which was only to 6pm & we weren't leaving to nine. The bar in the hotel had bingo & entertainment every night. 3 pools clean. rooms well airconditioned.

worst holiday ever

We arrived after a great flight, to find that we didn't have 2 bedroomed apartment as requested, after an hour and a half of travelling round the complex we finally found a 2 bedroomed apartment that we thought would be suitable, but on opening the oven door the whole cooker fell out. The apartments were filthy, sheets were changed once in the fortnight with towels slighty more regular, we were infested with cockroaches twice. Maintenance was being carried out, on the pool showers, but thet were kind enough to leave metal chainsaws and diamond cutter out, when they stopped for lunch, the big pool had very dangerous slope to get into, which injured a few people, the hotel staff were all unfriendly and you had to wait 50 mins for a drink in the bar in the evening, luckily we went over the road for the entertainment at the barcelo hotel which was fantastic and all staff were friendly, there was 5 burgalaries in 1 week while we were there, the hotel management were unsupportive and told people to make a report to the police they had to go to playa das americas, an hour away, this is just a few of the distressing details, 15 of us went all with children and i can honestly say it was the worst holiday i have ever experienced, one good resturant to try though is the italian called nino's fantastic food.

Which canary island should i go to and which resort?

by lynzuk09

I'm looking to go on holiday with my husband and 10 month old baby which island should i go to and which resorts? I've been looking at lots of different resorts but i'm struggling to find a cheap and cheerful apartment that has all inclusive? Any ideas? Any ideas of hotels/apartments with good reviews? cheers lynda

by tango_jd

We stayed at the Tamaimo Tropical apartments way back in 1996 or 97 so it may be worth checking out properly.
However, I note they are now all-inclusive.
The location is nice because its a much quieter resort than the "main two" - Las Americas and Los Christianos. That may appeal more.
They are in Los Gigantes although a good 500 meters from a small (black sand) beach and th emain shops etc are up a hill.
However, there is a lovely coastal path walk to Los Gigantes proper and is near a lovely natural rock swimming pool which is nice to sit-at.
The pool at the apartments is large and there were always plenty of places to sit, sunbathe or stay in shade.
There is a video and some info here:

Although nearer Mt Teide for a nice trip out, it is in the opposite corner of the island for Puerto de la Cruz and the "Parrot Park" which is worth the drive over the mountains should you be hiring a car. It is a fantastic route.

OK - so reply no 2.
We went to Lanzarote TWICE in the same year and stayed more or less in the same resort - Puerto Del Carmen.
The first time was just me and the wife - we had apartments (not all-incl) in the centre of town.
The second time we stayed in a lovely hotel out of the main town in an area called Matagorda - the Sol Lanzarote. They do an All-inclusive option.
THAT was fantastic. Th ehotel was absolutely brilliant. You THINK you are going to be upset by aircraft noise as it is a matter of meters from the end of the runway and you can see the planes go over the sea but the angle is right and the noise isn't very noticeable at all!
The small mini-resort area is quiet, clean and safe and the beach is wonderful - just across the promenade (no traffic) from the hotel pool.
Google here: Sol Lanzarote Aparthotel
in Matagorda, Lanzarote.
The youngster might not appreciate too many trips out but theyy do a North Island tour and a South Island tour which were great value - one is the volcanoes etc and one is the beautiful Jameos del Agua, and Cesar Manrique territory.

by tango_jd

Woah! From that fab aerial map it looks like my Rock swimming pool in Los Gigantes, Tenerif, has been developed into a "proper" pool!

Comments