Peninsula del Jablillo s/n, Costa Teguise, 35509, Spain
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Apartamentos Galeon Playa

Our weeks stay at the Galeon Playa from 24th August 2006.

by TripAdvisor Member Stephen50

Upon arrival at the Galeon Playa 24th August 2006 my daughter and I we were a little bit disappointed that they didn't have any record of our booking from the travel agent. However full marks given to the reception staff who made every effort to ensure that we had a room as quickly as possible.

The room was excellent and had everthing you need for your stay, with a fridge, microwave, toaster, mini cooker complete with all pots pans etc that you need.

As we were on a half board basis and we found that this was ok even though a majority of the other quests were on a self catering basis and that a good thing was that it was a buffet style.

The amenities and evening entertainment was a little bit below par compared to other places we have stayed in the past on other islands. Unfortunately the evening entertainment was not very well supported by the other quests and sometimes felt a little bit sorry for the performers.

But overall we had a nice relaxing time, the weather was good, nice and near to the beech, we made some friends and we would not hesitate in staying here again.

Basic and clean

by TripAdvisor Member MaryRob

We sayed here from 7 - 21 September 2006. We are a middle aged couple who enjoy a good nightlife and good food.
Sadly the nightlife in the Galeon Playa was lacking, but the food was good and the service in the restaraunt was excellent.

The hotel is situated at the far end of Las Cucharas beach and I would say is the perfect location as the centre of Costa Teguise is only a 5 minute walk.

I would recommend the centre of Teguise as the perfect place to unwind, we found a lovely little bar called the Scots and Wry where we spent many a happy hour, the centre of Teguise caters for all tastes and you can find pretty much anything you are looking for from a quite little pub to a full on nightclub.

Unfortunately I won't be going back to Galeon Playa simply because it caters more for young families rather than couples.

All in all a good basic hotel with well equiped rooms and good but not great faciities.

Great time

by TripAdvisor Member Gemma6

Had a great time at the Galeon Playa. Was a little worried when I read some of the over reviews but had a pleasant suprise when We arrived. The rooms were lovely very clean with a nice balcony. the pools were great for my four year old son as were the kids clubs the tiles are very slippery around the pool but are fine if you dont run. the food was a little odd sometimes but it is ok. The Atlintic bar is fine but you might like to go out in the evening to the other bars in the resort such as Saxos which caters for kids as well as adults. Any problems are sorted out straight away by the reception team who are very polite. overall great time.

beware building works

by TripAdvisor Member gretru

We stayed at the Galeon Playa for the first 2 weeks in may. The galeon was near shops and restaurants which was great. The beach was just a couple of minutes away There was a netto across the road for our water and other essential items as we were self catereing. The Galeon had 2 great pools and my kids aged 5 and 13 had a great time. The cleanliness was good and we had maid service 5 times a week changing towels and bed linen. The Galeon is situated in a good location and great for familys but the accomodation itself is extremley dated and in need of modernistion. It is the worst accomodation i have ever stayed in. Booking with Thompsons i would of expected quality accomodation but this was not the case. I booked my holliday a year in advance so i expected great service from thompsons. Now for the worst bit. There were building works going on during our stay we had workmen passing our door at 8am being very noisey and during the day workmen were passing the pool area with there wheelbarrows and building equipment. You could also hear drilling,banging and windows smashing during the day and if your trying to relax this is the last thing you want to hear. I complained to Thompsons twice when i got back but they did not want to know and said the building works were minor but i can assure you they were very very noisey and Thompsons just disregarded my complaints. I would never go back to the Galeon Playa and defeniatley never book a holiday with Thompsons ever again due to there lack of customer service. Thompsons say they did not feel necessary to inform of us of the building works as they assume the works were only minor. The building works were noisey and disrupted our holiday which we saved hard for but Thompsons were simply not interested and totally unhelpfull. I WILL NEVER BOOK WITH THOMPSONS AGAIN.

Beware of ongoing building works!

Have just arrived home from Costa Teguise, Lanzarote. After staying at the Galeon Playa for one week.
The apartment was a 2 bedroom (2 single beds in each room, i.e 4 total) first impressions of hotel were good, until we got to our room. As we entered the bathroom, all we could smell was pee (urine), we reported this to our rep. at the Welcome meeting later that day one of the cleaners arrived with a bucket & detergents, but after them leaving the smell still lingered & oh how we tried to disguise the whiff!
The fridge in the kitchen smelt horribly of cheese - even after opening the door for a few seconds then closing it the smell would linger in the kitchen/lounge area.
There is also currently building works going on in one wing of the hotel, so if you are one for not going to the beach in the daytime & like hanging around the pool/or on your apartment balcony then take some ear defenders!

Worst hotel we ever stayed in.

by TripAdvisor Member Maisy123

We stayed at the Galeon Playa for2 weeks in July. 2 adults and 2 children. We are very well travelled, and have never had cause to make a complaint on our past holidays, EXCEPT this one. The hotel is awful. We had numerous complaints, mainly about the food. We were half board and could not eat it. We had to eat out every night, which we hadn't budgeted for!! It is the worst hotel we have ever had the misfortune to stay in I am afraid. We were very very dissappointed with Thomsons, and definately will never book with them again.
The reps at the hotel were very rude and offensive. I am trying so hard to think of something positive to say, but I honestly find it extremely difficult. Most people were complaining, we weren't alone.
Costa Teguise is a nice place,and my advice is stay somewhere else. If you get poor accommodation is ruins your holiday. It is a 2 star hotel according to the rep, and to be truthful I wouldnt even rate this a 2 star it is that bad.

3* Accomodation - but in a great location !

by TripAdvisor Member buntyshah

We stayed at the Galeon Playa from 5th November 2006 to 20th November 2006. The weather was great 25C! Very sunny but a few days we had clouds. So leave the jacket at home!

We had a 2 bed apartment on a Self Catering basis, which we found was a bit basic but adequate.

These apartments are 80% Thomson guests. It used to be a superfamily apartment but got down graded to a kid zone.

The majority of guests are young familes. So the atomosphere is friendly. The evening entertainment was not bad they have 3 proffesional shows a week and there not that bad!

Our booking was through Thomsom and we really don't have any major complaints the reps were great (Barry and Vicky). We had a few noise problems and they dealt with it promptly. We also had a few kitchen and lighting problems which the Apartment reception team dealt with very quickly too.

There are lots of good restaurants near by so I would suggest the Self Catering option as I have heard the food is a bit naff at the Apartment restaurant.

If you are looking for something central in Costa Teguise and not botthered about the quality of the apartments then this is the one for you.

Remember it is a 3 star so don't expect anything more. The location however does make up for the downfall in accomodation.

Summary

Basic apartments, good location, helpfull thomson reps and apartment staff.

Great time at the Galeon!

We had room 373 which was in a great location with sea views to 3 sides, and 2 balconies. Rooms were clean and quite well equipped, including a Large screen TV (although Sky movies & sports was not available at the time we went), and a microwave. We had cleaners in 5 times during the week we stayed. The pools were reasonably clean, although the heated one was just as cold as the none heated pool on the other side! The Atlantic bar only opens at 4.30pm : this is where the entertainment happens every night. I found it a bit sweaty & there were many stains on the seats. The entertainment itself was great for the kids, particularly the Mini-Disco. The 'animation team' Martin & Paco were very funny and helpful too. The Thomson kids reps were also excellent and very patient and always full of beans just like the kids! Some of the other evening entertainment (hired singers) that played after 10pm were truly awful and managed to clear the bar! Jumbo chinese restaurant was really great value & delicious. There are 4 internet stations in reception available at a small charge. Pool tables in the hotel, like most of the resort, are a rip-off 2 Euro per game!!

Would never go back

Nice place but would never go back to this hotel ..... the bar staff were nice but reception were so rude it was shocking. Had my bag stolen on the last day and reported it to reception for them to simply shrug their shoulders and ask me what I expected them to do about it!! Food was ok sometimes but mostly I ended up going elsewhere to eat even though I was full board. Wild horses would not drag me back there!

Pleasantly suprised!!! Really!!!

by TripAdvisor Member LSYS

We booked our holiday before I read the reviews below and i can honestly say, I was dreading staying at the Galeon. When we arrived, however, I was pleasantly suprised! We had emailed the hotel to request a rooms in one of the new block (9,10or11) and although we didn't receive a response to our email, our request had been granted. Our room was 356, which was much larger than we were expecting, we had booked a studio but infact stayed in a one bedroom apartment. We had a view of the bay from our apartment bedroom and the balcony faced into the complex. (pics posted of the room and views). On the downside, we did find ants in the lounge, but after speaking with our reps, Barry and Vicky this was sorted out on the first day, and they didn't reappear while we were there......trust me i checked! As we were in the quieter side of the hotel, we seemed to have the smaller pool area to ourselves on most days, the only noise was the guys moving the linen trolleys from one side of the place to the other. The pools were cold as other reviews have mentioned, but I found that to be a welcome relief from the heat, even if you do have to psyche yourself up to jump in! It all adds to the fun! The entertainment in the hotel was tired to say the least. Air rifle shooting?? some kind of Dutch shuffleboard?? Needless to say most people declined. We didn't visit the hotel bar as it was always really quiet when we went past, but from the sound of the kids screaming and singing later on, I'm sure they had a fab time!

Costa Teguise itself wasn't what I'd imagined. Much quieter. Its a great place for families. I love nothing more than an evening with wonderful food and wine, to me thats a holiday! Although most places offered really good service, the food was mostly the same. We had a really nice meal at El masa (not sure about the last part of the name but its next to La Ola's on the front by the main beach) and the staff were really friendly. The best bar we found was Ryans Bar. Really friendly in there and cheap too! The worst was the Shamrock (on the left in the square near the chinese as you wlk up the main street from the hotel).The drinks were so expensive compared to other places 9 euros for 2 bottles when you could get the same drinks for 4euros at other, much nicer bars. Oh and before I forget, The Lively lady, I think she was on her hols when we paid a visit, it was anything but lively! I was so disappointed that we didn't like it as all the other reviews on the forums had said what a fab night it was.

All in all, if I went back to CT, I think I would stay at the Galeon again, it good value for money if you self catering. If your half board.......good luck! I heard the complaints in the hotel reception after dinner and it wasn't a pretty sight. But you do get what you pay for, we had a cheap and cheerful holiday which perfectly reflected the price we had paid for our much needed week in the sun. Our Thomson reps Barry and Vicky were fantastic and very funny, they always seemed to be in the hotel and made everyone feel relaxed and at ease.

My advise to you if your staying at this hotel, make your own mind up! We had a really good week away. Your holiday is what you make it, we hope you have a fab time!

:o)