Solatorre

Paseo Solatorre, s/n, Comillas, 39520, Spain
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Comillas

We're walking, we're walking...We're walking, we're walking...

See the fencing?See the fencing?

Capricho de GaudiCapricho de Gaudi

Deserted beachesDeserted beaches

Transportation Santander-Comillas, and Comillas-San Vicente de la Barquera

by nomad7890

I am looking at different options to visit Comillas and have a day trip to San Vicente de la Barquera (if I find accomodations in Comillas that is).

(1) It looks like there's around 50 KM between Santander and Comillas - is it feasible to use a taxi? Any idea what the fare would be?

(2) Once in Comillas, are there taxi's in the town (to go down to San Vicente de la Barquera then return to Santander) ?

(3) Are both Comillas and San Vicente de la Barquera walkable once there?

Also ...

Is Comillas and Comillas Beach the same ... one of the US websites lists them separately, but Google map looks like it's the same place.

by AsturArcadia

First of all, please check out my AsturArcadia 'Cantabria' section and my 'San Vicente de la Barquera' pages, to see where you wilol be going.

Autobuses La Cantábrica, based in Comillas, runs a service linking Santander, Torrelavega, Santillana del Mar, Cóbreces, Comillas and San Vicente. Fares are cheap, services geared to local needs, not that frequent but not impossibly infrequent.

Several hotels in Comillas - up to four-star.

But if visiting in July or August DO BOOK IN ADVANCE. The coast can be packed out if the weather is fine.

In San Vicente my hotel recommendation would be the Miramar, on La Barquera, super views of the coast. Failing that either the Boga-Boga in the town centre, or the Noray, also on the Barquera, and up the hill from where I used to live.

Explore on foot - how else? Both are small towns (around 2500 inhabitants in winter), built on hills.

If you enjoy walking, you could even manage one way Comillas to San Vicente - lane to Trasvía, along Oyambre beach, over the headland at Gerra, then along San Vicente beach to the Puente la Maza across the ría. Half a day - delightful!

And to return from San Vicente to Santander - try the train (FEVE), two services per day, station 2 km distant in La Acebosa. Lovely trip, away from the main roads!

by AsturArcadia

The beach at Comillas is just below the town , separated from it by a ridge - Comillas spreads itself over several small hills. No doubt it is continuing to spread, thanks to the greed and insensitiveness of the property speculators who build for a clientele that fills the place for six weeks or less each summer. A curse, a hideous curse, on the 'Síndromo de persianas bajadas' . . . and those companies and municipalities that encourage it to flourish.

by nomad7890

Thank you Mike. Yes, I think even if it is farther I should head north after Teruel and leave Cadaques/Figueres for when I return to Catalunya for a longer period of time.

Had just checked Feve (I forgot when going to Ortigueira I had to switch to Feve in Ferrol) - but knoing there is a bus is very helpful.

I think Comillas is more of a locals beach than Cadaques, so if I find a place to stay even nearby, I may go there.

by nomad7890

I like walking but I think the 11+ miles between Comillas and San Vicente would take up quite a bit of time.

Staying in San Vicente looks like a much better option - I can come straight in Feve.

Is there taxi service in San Vicente? Perhaps I can even pay someone to drop me in Comillas and go pick me up later - unless there are taxi's in Comillas too. Don't recall ... I've been in Santillana but with as part of the Transcantabrico, which is the only big tour I have gotten into. ;=)

by nomad7890

I think I've found a bus!

by AsturArcadia

There is a taxi rank next to the plaza, outside Confitería Ramos, in San Vicente. Any of the local hotels will be able to fix up a taxi for you from Comillas (if I recall correctly the taxi rank used to be near El Cruce, in the old centre). But locals will direct you. Comillas beach - catchment area definitely local. Folk from Cabezón and other villages tend to go to Oyambre.

Beware if bathing at any beaches on this part of the coast. Strong currents and undertow!

by nomad7890

Thank you. I'm not even sure I will actually go in the water, but may spend time at the beach.

Comments