Cantabria Hotels

• ranger49 profile photo ranger49
  • Reviews: 856

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Parador de Pisuerga: A mountain retreat

As we approached Cervera de Pisuerga we followed the familiar Parador directional signs that seemed to be leading us away from the little town up in to the hills.

Suddenly the road turned right and began to wind upwards and there we were - at the Parador. A modern building which appeared to be constructed of wood and blended perfectly with the scene it overlooked - the Ruesga Resevoir and the pine woods and mountains of the Picos de Europa.
We received the warmest of welcomes and were allocated a large room with a small balcony overlooking the scene described above.
We stood on the balcony enjoying a pre-dinner drink as dusk fell and heard a strange noise. We listened and watched; as our eyes adjusted to the gloom we saw a whole family of deer on the lawns below tugging on and chomping the grass. As soon as they became aware of us they disappeared silently from view into the trees.

Wonderful views, excellent food , warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Nature all around, peace and tranquility.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written February 16, 2008
Tip Photo

View from the Balcony

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hosteria Picos de Europa: Great hostal in Potes, Picos de europa

A great Experience, If I am back to Potes, I will stay there again!

Price was 42 Euros per night the double, we were very lucky to get a suite room with terrace. You must be wondering, How she can have a suite in a hostel? Well, this is because it was not really a hostel it had the same service as a 3 stars hotel, except lifts. The only expensive part was the breakfast, 5 Euros per person and not very good.

they also provide excursions with 4x4 and other activities in the Picos de europa.

I recomend 100%

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Las Rocas: A 4 stars hotel in Castro urdiales

A four stars very close to the beach, very nice rooms, drinks at the mini bar in the room are free (only water, sodas and other non alcoholic drinks).

I did not stay there as it was more expensive, but it looked very nice place. Except the barman, and kitchen.

The restaurant of the hotel has only frozen food, and when my friend complained as the chicken was still frozen in the dish, they were difficult with them because of it, and even wanted to charge for it, even if they had not eaten it!

The guy at the bar was anything except a professional at the bar, as the whole group was British, he though we would not understand him, he was talking all the time about us, until he realised I was understanding him. specially after we asked for burgers, that came with some crisps, when I asked him to bring me new crisps as this were bland from nearly a week ago, he said to me that they were only decoration, not for eating! (In that case why they put them in a dish with a burger?, I still wonder!) anyway the burger was, in opinion of Stace, the worst ever, still frozen, uncooked and full of water and blood!

so if you avoid the restaurant, this is a great place to stay! :-))

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Miramar: A Hotel in the Beach: Castro urdiales

And when i say IN the beach, I really mean it!

A 3 stars with tradition, maybe the oldest in Castro Urdiales (my mother told me we stayed there nearly 28 years ago, but I do not remember). In my last visit, we stayed there.

Try to get a room with Beach view on the second floor, the terraces are incredible, overlooking the beach.

to go to the beach, you just step out the Hotel lobby and there you are!

The personal were nice, except in reception, the guy we had in the mornings was the rudest person I have ever seen in a hotel reception (and not only in the ones I have been, also in the receptions I have worked!)

The hotel is in bad state in need of renovations, but due to the situation by the beach, the government do not let them, trying to demolish (as since the law in late 80´s it is illegal to construct so close to the beach!)

also I found it a little overprice for the service provided, but in summer in Castro Urdiales you do not get anything cheaper!

• Opinion of Price: about average

• Emke profile photo Emke
  • Reviews: 188

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Camping las Arenas: Definitely the best campground ever!

Brilliant brilliant brilliant!!!! This is the view from the campground. You can see a beautiful sunset every evening and you sleep with the sound of the ocean at the background.

Warning: I don't think it is a good idea to come here in july or august. But in the low season it is the best campground ever!!

The sanitery wasn't modern or spotless clean, but look at the VIEW!!!

In the low season two persons, a car and a tent cost 16,69, not very expensive.

It is a 2ª category campground, which means moderate.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average