CH Victoria Alojamientos
Mateo Miguel Ayllon 2, 10A, Cuenca, 16001, Spain
More about Cuenca
Cuenca - Spain
Cuenca - Spain
Jucar river, Mangana tower and the Seminary
Travel Tips for Cuenca
a "hanging" city
The landmark of the city are the infamous hanging houses: a couple of old buildings that got the fame for their beautifully carved balconies and their stunning location that defies the law of gravity. But actually most of the prominent buildings in Cuenca hang from one of the city's cliffs, even the cathedral, as you can see in this picture.
San Julián el Tranquilo
Saint Julian (1128-1208), the second Bishop of Cuenca, was born at Burgos and studied at Palencia. He was a brilliant student and was appointed professor of Philosophy and Theology at the University of Palencia at the age of 25. In 1196 he was appointed Bishop of Cuenca under the reign of Alfonso VIII. He arrived at night to avoid the crowd that was waiting for him. His apostolic and missioner labor drove him all over the province. He was known for his worries about the people in need no matter their religion. He died on January 28th 1208. This day is a feast day in Cuenca. Also the fair and feast of Saint Julian are celebrated during 10 days of August.
Saint Julian used to retire to pray in a cave in the Cerro de la Majestad, where there is a spring. He used to call it “the place of my tranquil day”. There, he also used to confection wicker baskets that shared out among the poor. Now there is a small chapel in his honor, where the mass is celebrated every Sunday. There is a recreational area with some stone tables and seats where you can enjoy a picnic. The viewpoint offers a fantastic view of the Júcar gorge.
There are two ways to reach this place. Leave the city following the Júcar gorge. Some 430 m from the Church of Our Lady of Light, on the left hand side of the road, a path starts that leads to San Julián (third picture). The chapel is quite high above the river level, but the path ascends slowly and the walk offers nice views of the city. There is also an access from the road: 2.25 km from San Anton bridge, on the left hand side, there is a small parking space. From there, big stair steps carved on the rock take you up.
Who said that there is no beach in Cuenca? After a short and nice walk along the Júcar river, you will arrive to the Playa, where there are also swimming pools.
First picture: the beach seen from the castle, on the left.
Second picture: the swimming pool beside the Jucar.
Hanging Houses - Las Casas Colgadas
The Hanging Houses were built in popular gothic style. Some original elements are preserved in the section occupied by the Museum, such as the coffered ceiling in Mudejar style and an Arch in Gothic isabeline style. The interior is rich in wood components. The front is Renaissance style and comes from an old palace.
The origin of the houses is uncertain, but there are documentary evidences of their existence in the 15th century. All the façade of the Huécar gorge held hanging houses, but only the famous ones still stand. They have been remodeled throughout their life and they were restored at the beginning of the 20th century. Nowadays, the Hanging Houses contain the Museum of Spanish Abstract Art and the Restaurant Mesón de las Casas Colgadas.
The Casas Colgadas (Hanging Houses)
From the rickety old footbridge, it is possible to get great views of the Casas Colgadas (Hanging Houses) which appear to literally hang off the side of a huge drop. In reality they have huge bay windows that jut perilously out over this drop. They look most impressive!
One of these houses contains an art gallery, so it is possible to go inside, which is well worth doing.