Castellano I

Hotel Castellano I
Priceline.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 1 star hotels

More about Salamanca

Having fun with the tuna in the Plaza MayorHaving fun with the tuna in the Plaza Mayor

University of Salamanca main entranceUniversity of Salamanca main entrance

Plaza Mayor in the afternoon.Plaza Mayor in the afternoon.

Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)

La Alberca or Avila to Porto...via Salamanca?

by kgiesting

My husband and I will be participating in an English immersion program in La Alberca (a lovely place) for the 2nd time this September. After that, we need to get from La Alberca to Porto for a Douro River cruise. We have a few over 48 hours to do this.

From the train maps, it appears there is a path, through Salamance to Coimbra to Porto. Would that be the best way to go or should we try one/more bus rides or even a rental car?

One challenge: my husband travels with a Segway (www.segway.com) to help him get around. Method of transport needs to accommodate it. We have flown with it to/from Madrid and other places and he's used it in La Alberca on the cobblestones and in parks on groomed trails.

MTIA

by Ribeirasacra

If you hire a car then it has to be returned to the country of origin. Some companies allow you to leave the car in another country, but they will charge you a hefty fee for the privilege. You best bet is a train. Then you should arrive in time.
Are those Segways legal over here? Any form of motorised vehicles have to be used in the road. Not on a footpath..sidewalk?
Ian and Irene

by marilynlouise

We are thinking of doing the same- teach English and take a river cruise. How did you make out last year? Who was your cruise with?

by kgiesting

We had a great time in 2006 doing the speaking English part. We are doing the cruise this year as our 2007 plans when my mom died. At some museums in Madrid, we had to check or lock up the Segway and borrow a wheelchair but had no problem on the sidewalks. Some restaurants were also a bit reluctant to let us enter. Same as here unless it is an assistive device, which it is for my husband.

Travel Tips for Salamanca

Salamanca is known above all...

by davidcross

Salamanca is known above all for its grand Plaza Mayor - and the sun was not shining when I was there.
That water on the ground is real and it fell from the sky very, very quickly! A free concert in a church just off the Plaza Mayor.

Birthday humour

by fairy_dust

On my birthday, me, my professor, and Josh (a guy from my university who came to Spain with us) went to a cafe, where my prof bought me a glass of sangria. Then, she told the waiter that it was my birthday, and he proceded to pull my earlobe 21 times (because I was turning 21). Then, he got someone from another table to do the same with my other ear.

Around Castile

by orlikins

You could go to Avila by bus from Salamanca or go west & cross the border into Portugal, which we had planned to do but didnt happen. Ah well.
Photo of the Translation faculty in Salamanca - see my 'Warning' tip

Architecture of Salamanca

by andal13

Salamanca has beautiful buildings, mostly from 16th and 17th centuries; walk around its narrow streets and enjoy this exquisit architecture.
The picture shows "Casa de las Conchas" (House of Shells), and across the street, a magnificent church of 17th century.

Salamanca tiene hermosos edificios, principalmente construidos en los siglos XVI y XVII; caminen por sus estrechas callejuelas y disfruten de su exquisita arquitectura.
La foto muestra la "Casa de las Conchas", y cruzando la calle, una magnífica iglesia del siglo XVII.

Cathedrals (1/5)

by Redang

In reality, there are two Cathedrals in Salamanca joined together:

- The Catedral Nueva (New Cathedral) from the 16th century.
- The Catedral Vieja (Old Cathedral) dating from the 12th-13th centuries

Entry fee: New Cathedral: Free admission. Old Cathedral, Cloister and Museum: General admission: €4.25 Reduced: €3.50 (groups, over 20 people, retired people and students); €2.75 (schoolchildren). Free: Tuesdays, 10.00am-12.00midday (Dec. '08).

- Fax: (+34) 9213 28 10 45