Plaza de la Libertad, 1, Salamanca, 37002, Spain
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Salamanca

Plaza Mayor of SalamancaPlaza Mayor of Salamanca

The Cave of SalamancaThe Cave of Salamanca

Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)

Torre del Clavero (Slamanca, Spain)Torre del Clavero (Slamanca, Spain)

security in salamanca

by Jacques1983

How is the security situation in salamanca?? especially around trhe train station?
does anyone know pension acuarela? is it ok?
do you know an other good hostel?
thanks

Re: security in salamanca

by orlikins

I was told, when I was in Salamanca in 1998, that there was a "red-light" district by the train station. But when I was there, I didnt experience any major safety issues around the town, i think you will be ok on that score.

O.

Re: Re: security in salamanca

by Rixie

My daughter, who studied in Salamanca, says that the area around the train station is safe, but it's far from downtown. She says it's about a 10 minute cab ride.

Travel Tips for Salamanca

Relaxing in the Plaza and at cafes

by fairy_dust

Even with all the excitement of being in Salamanca, there are times when it's nice to just sit down at a cafe in town, have a drink and/or snack, and relax. During the day after class is a good time for this, since most shops and public places are closed for lunch. Since the city is quiet during that time of day, it's good for studying, chatting with a friend, and relaxing in general. Also, in the evenings it's nice to chill out a little and have a few drinks before going out dancing and partying. During my first trip to Salamanca, my group and I would always go to the same cafe in the Plaza Mayor, where the same friendly waiter would bring us our drinks and chat with us. We'd get some studying done and plan our adventures for the next few days. One time, we tried to get our professor to down a tequila shot, but she didn't know how to drink it so she was nervous and jittery, and she sipped it! We had a good laugh over that!

On my second trip, during the day I'd often go for a batido (milkshake) at different places in town, but one of my favorites was a cafe on Rua Mayor (I think?) near the Plaza de Anaya. I'd often have a batido or glass of sangria and a bowl of fried squid rings, and get some studying done. My professor often went there too, so the waiter there knew her and was friendly. On my birthday, she and I and Josh went to that cafe, my prof bought me a glass of sangria, and that waiter pulled my ear 21 times (since I was turning 21).

And of course, I always enjoyed sitting in the Plaza Mayor in the evenings, drinking sangria and watching my favorite tuna group put on their little show. Although they made it much more exciting than relaxing! ;)

Soccer is huge in Spain

by fairy_dust

During my first trip to Spain, I was there during the World Cup. Spain in general is obsessed with soccer. Every sports magazine has at least one soccer player on the cover, and soccer games are often playing on tv or on the radio.

I remember on the bus coming back from Barcelona, they had the World Cup on the radio and Spain's team was playing at the time. Every time the announcer would say "Gol!" the whole bus would cheer!

Bus to Salamanca

by fairy_dust

To get to or away from Salamanca, you can take the bus. We took a bus from Madrid, and the ride was a few hours. I personally prefer the train, since it's more comfortable, but the bus is fine too. A bus ride between Salamanca and Barcelona is about 10 hours. On the way to Lisbon, Portugal, we took a tour bus (it was a tour organized by the university). We left Salamanca early in the morning, and arrived in Lisbon in the afternoon.

A one-way ticket from Madrid to Salamanca is around 14 Euros, and a return ticket for Salamanca-Barcelona is around 30 Euros. For long bus rides (like to Barcelona or Lisbon), the bus makes pit stops so you can walk around for a bit (to loosen up cramped legs) and get something to eat.

On the way to or from Salamanca, look out the bus windows. You'll see all sorts of fields and landscapes. Once, I saw a field with bullfight bulls in it, and I've also seen a few hills covered in houses. You might pass through a few small towns too.

The bus station address is:
Avenida De Filiberto Villalobos, 71-85

When asking a taxi to take you to the bus station, it's "Estacion de autobus".

Well, go to the two...

by MarcoAntonio

Well, go to the two Cathedrals, both are quite magnificent, and of course the Plaza Mayor. I hope there is still a great ice cream stall on one of the corners there. All of the central architechture is wonderful.

Hopefully the Club Camelot is still there too!!
As I said, I loved the buildings! I think the best time for photos is about 5:30 in the summer mornings, when there are few people around and the light caresses the stone masonary!

Look out for the frog on the door of the Univeristy examination hall!!

Old Cathedral

by andal13

Old cathedral is a charming Romanic building; the picture shows the Torre del Gallo (Cock's Tower), wich has a weathercock. Inside the Cathedral, you will find some interesting stuff, especially the magnificent altar.
To visit the Old Cathedral, you must go through the New one.

La catedral vieja es un encantador edificio de estilo románico; la foto muestra la Torre del Gallo, que tiene una veleta en su cima. Dentro de la Catedral se encuentran elementos muy interesantes, en especial el magnífico altar. Para visitar la catedral vieja, se debe atravesar la nueva.

Comments