Hostal Conde David

Booking.com eDreams Priceline.com

More about Salamanca

Plaza MayorPlaza Mayor

Lumbreras streetLumbreras street

Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)

Plaza de los Bandos (Salamanca, Spain)Plaza de los Bandos (Salamanca, Spain)

about Salamanca

by GuiLa

I´m law student from Brazil and i´ll be in Salamanca in 12/01/2003 until 02/10/2004.
Does anyone heard about Colegio Delibes?
Where´s the ship place to stay?

Waiting for your help.
Tnks!

Re: about Salamanca

by fredbanks

Colegio delibes was one of the worst experiences of my life. They are not friendly and do not care about their students, and though the teaching is pretty good, you will not be able to take advantage of it being in such a negative atmosphere.

Re: about Salamanca

by fairy_dust

Fredbanks isn't the only one, a lot of people here don't seem to recommend Colegio Delibes... I can't really speak for it though, I didn't study with this school.

If you're looking for a Spanish language program to learn the language, I highly recommend the program at the university of Salamanca. If you want more info, check out my Salamanca page, I wrote a lot on my experience simply because I loved it so much.

Travel Tips for Salamanca

Museo de Bellas Artes.
C/Patio...

by Christianne

Museo de Bellas Artes.

C/Patio de las Escuelas,2.

On Monday the Museum is closed. From Tuesday to Saturday it is open from 10.00 to 14.00 and from 17.00 to 20.00. On Sunday and on holidays it is open from 10.00 to 14.00.

It's hot in the summer

by fairy_dust

On both trips, I brought one suitcase and my backpack. During my second trip, I also bought a kid's backpack in a bookstore in Salamanca to carry extra stuff that I was bringing back. Since it was lime green, it was easy to spot when I retrieved my luggage at the airport! Comfortable summer clothes for the day. It can get hot in the summer. It cools down at night, so it might be good to bring a sweater too. An umbrella is a good idea too (although it rarely rains in summer). I would bring trendy, stylish clothes for the nights, since that's what the locals are usually wearing.

On my second trip, I knew I would be doing a lot of shopping, so I didn't bring too many of my own clothes from home. I just bought clothes in the many stores and boutiques in town.

Comfortable walking shoes or sandals are a good idea, because of the cobblestone streets in town. But I never had any problems walking in heels around town. Toiletries:
Shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodorant, and any other things you use regularly at home. I usually bring it in small bottles and containers that I can throw out as I use up the contents which helps to lighten my luggage load. But most necessities are available in town, though you might not find the brand you want.

Medical supplies:
Sunscreen (especially if you burn easily or are planning on spending a lot of time outside), bandaids (your blistered feet will thank you), your own prescription medicines.

Also, I had to bring a dose of twinrix (Hepatitis A and B) vaccine during my second trip (I had to take the second dose during my time in Spain, I went to a local clinic to have it done). If you have to bring any syringes, needles, or medicines, bring them in your carry-on, along with a note from a doctor showing proof that you're bringing them for medical reasons. Ask your doctor about what temperatures they must be kept at. When I brought the twinrix, I had to keep it in a fridge whenever I could. Bring your own camera and film. But if you run out of film, there are many photo supplies stores around town where you can buy film, disposeable cameras, and get pictures developped. If you want to go swimming at the pool, bring your swimsuit and towel. But if you forget, there are stores where you can buy swimsuits and cheap towels. If you wear glasses or contacts, bring a spare pair, in case you lose or break your normal pair. It didn't happen to me, but it's always a good idea to be ready for it.

If you're not fluent in Spanish or if you're going there for the language program at the U of Salamanca, I highly recommend that you bring a Spanish-English (or whatever is your first language) dictionary. It will come in very handy. Also, if you have a grammar book or anything like that, that can come in useful too.

Also, if you want to wear heels or other uncomfortable shoes, it's a good idea to bring tape. Just tape your feet where the shoes rub your feet the most, and you'll get fewer blisters.

I also brought a travel-size blowdryer with a European plug (I had bought it in Sweden). If you want to bring a blowdryer or other electrical device but it doesn't have a European plug, you'll need to bring an adapter too, and a converter if the voltage is different.

Jazz concerts

by fairy_dust

During my second trip to Salamanca, there were many jazz concerts going at the time. There were big names like Chick Corea and Bebo Valdes, but also many lesser-known bands. There were a few open-air concerts in the Patio de Escuelas put on by lesser-known jazz bands for free.

I went to see an open-air jazz concert (one of the free ones), and I enjoyed it. It was nice and relaxing, and the music was great. It's also nice to go for a glass of sangria at a cafe near the venue, before going to the concert.

Casa de Las Conchas

by j_laurent

The House of Shells was built around 1500 for a professor or medicine named Dr. Rodrigo Maldonado de Talavera. The interor has been converted into a public library. The motif was a reference to Talavera's status as chancellor of the Order of St. Jamse, whose symbol is the shell.

Casa de las Conchas (House of Shells)

by wanderlust23

We then walk to the Casa de las Conchas (House of Shells), decorated by over 300 carved scallop shells. A very interesting and unique building, the Casa de las Conchas now houses the Tourist Information Office and a library.

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday, from 9:00 to 21:00. Saturdays from 9:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00. Sundays, from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00.

Comments