Rua Salamanca

Calle Sanchez Barbero 11, Plaza Isla de la Rua, Salamanca, Castile-Leon, 37002, Spain
Hotel Rua
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Salamanca

Me with Francisco de VitoriaMe with Francisco de Vitoria

Near the convent of the UrsulinasNear the convent of the Ursulinas

Plaza mayorPlaza mayor

Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)Cathedral (Salamanca, Spain)

Bus service in city

by Parkmore

Is there a bus service from train station to Plaza Mayor? Taxis appear to be expensive.

by HalaMadrid

Bus service does not run directly to Plaza Mayor and it can be confusing to find the right bus to take to get closeby. Taxis take a roundabout way to get you close by.

Depending on your luggage situation, it may be a managable walk to get there. Continue down Paseo de la Estacion until you come upon Plaza de Espana (ask locals for where this is. To get to the Plaza go down Calle TORO and keep walking til you're inside. All told, train station to Plaza is roughly a 25-30 min. walk, but is the most direct way there.

Hope this helps.

by salachic

I have a place outside the city, and it only costs me about 6 euros for a cab ride home. Sure beats walking. The bus station to the Plaza mayor may only be a 4 or 5 euro trip - or less. What might raise the rates more is if you have tons of lugggage - although i've heard cab drivers are not supposed to charge the luggage supplement anymore. While it's a fine walk on a nice day, if you have a suitcase (even with wheels) and a carry-on, take a cab.

by salachic

Oops, meant "train station" but the same goes for the bus station.
If I find the bus info from train station, though, I'll post it.

by salachic

According to the lastest route maps, bus service could be rather direct. Take Line 1 (Cipreses) and it goes right past the plaza. Here is the route http://www.gruporuiz.com/plantillas/salamanca/verlinea.php?id=1

Travel Tips for Salamanca

La Tuna

by fairy_dust

When I say "tuna", I'm not talking about fish. I'm talking about the traditional groups of very cute guy students (each faculty has its own group, represented by a different colour) who dress in 17th Century minstrel costumes and play old Spanish tunes in public places. They're very talented (both musically, and in the fun stunts they perform), and always attract crowds. I had a thing for one tuna in particular - the Tuna de Medicina de Salamanca (the U of Salamanca's medicine faculty tuna). They played every weeknight at an outdoor cafe in the Plaza Mayor.

The tunos (members of a tuna) are always charming, friendly, and very flirty. When they're playing a song, the lead singer/tambourine player often pulls a girl up and dances with her (I got pulled up once). One of the bandurria (instrument similar to a lute) players in the Med faculty tuna literally made me weak in the knees whenever he sang a solo. What a beautiful voice he had! *swoon*. The accordion player was also quite the cutie. One night, after their little "show", a few members of this tuna sang a few songs to me and my Mexican friend, and I felt like swooning the whole time!

Whenever the tunas sing to a girl, the girl also has to kiss every one of the tunos on the cheek to thank them, and the tunos often use this opportunity to do silly things to attract attention. The tuna sang to me individually twice. On my birthday and on my last night. On my birthday, they got me to stand on a chair (they often do this to the girls they sing to), and while they were getting ready to sing, the cute bandurria player started playing a little tune and singing to me "Que guapa, que guapa, que guapa..." (how gorgeous you are). Then, they sang me Happy Birthday in Spanish.

On my last night, I wanted them to sing to me but I was too shy to ask, so my professor asked them. They then put me on a chair, and serenaded me with the most romantic love song! It was the song I had wanted them to sing to me. In the middle of the song, they all got down on one knee for me, and the whole crowd clapped. Before and after singing to me, the lead singer kept making flirty comments on the short skirt I was wearing. I even have a picture of him kneeling down with his arms wrapped around my legs! Being serenaded by my favorite tuna was the perfect grand finale for an amazing trip!

Viva la tuna!

Traditional Spanish Greeting

by pabertra

The traditional Spanish greeting consists of 2 kisses, or "besos," one on each cheek. First the right cheek and then the left. It is important to note these kisses are not directly on the cheeks, but rather grace the cheeks and do not last, but for a second.

For those who do not wish to accept kisses it is perfectly acceptable to hold out your hand for a handshake instead. In fact, the latter may be recommended for the people you meet at night in the clubs, because the men may purposely try to make one of the kisses land directly on your lips.

Parque de la Alamedilla

by fairy_dust

This is a park very close to downtown. At first glance, it just looks like a plain old park, but it's beautiful if you go in. There's a pond with all sorts of birds there. Ducks, doves, geese, and even a black swan (my favorite). Last time I was there, there were also cages with chickens in them. There's lots of space to walk around, and if you play a musical instrument and want to practice, this park is a good place for that. Like Josh, who practiced his trumpet every day in the park, you might even meet a local or two, or some children, who might teach you how to play a Spanish song. There's also a cafe in the park.

Yes, I know what you’re all...

by SusanneBeck

Yes, I know what you’re all thinking. In Salamanca for one weekend and eating in Burger King ??!!! But when you’re starving hungry, don’t have much money and just want something quick, Burger King does seem like a good idea. I actually really wanted McDonalds but we couldn’t find it anywhere. Of course, 2 minutes after leaving Burger King, we found it! Typical

Clerecia y Universidad Pontificia

by acemj

The Church seen in this photo is part of the Jesuit University and was begun in 1617 by Juan Gomez de la Mora. The towers were completed later by Quinones, the same guy that did the Town Hall in Plaza Mayor. If you look at the lower section of the facade, it is pretty basic architecturally so the more flamboyant towers by Quinones somewhat distort the originally intended appearance of the structure.

Inside there is a large Baroque cloister and there is also a great altarpiece of note.

Comments