Candido Hotel

More about Segovia

Segovia - SpainSegovia - Spain

CathedralCathedral

Inside the Cathedral's cloisterInside the Cathedral's cloister

A delicious meal in Segovia!A delicious meal in Segovia!

Segovia Salamanca or Avila

by greenday

Hi, we are trying to decide between Salamanca, Segovia and Avila. We have never been to this part of Spain. We have 3 spare days as part of a trip including Spain and Portugal. Is it possible to maybe fit in 2 of these places? Thanks for any help.

by puerto_lover

Each has own wonder. In my opinion depends what time of year, how you are travelling, whether en route from say Madrid to Portugal with 3 days in between, etc etc.

by dino335

Segovia and Avila are 36 miles apart. Salamanca is 54 miles west of Avila on one of the main routes to Portugal. With three days and A CAR, I see no reason why you couldn't visit all three.It's probably doable by train also.

The main attraction of Avila is the wall and towers and the location. The view as you approach from the south is quite impressive. But you can take it in in a couple of hours.

The Roman aqueduct at Segovia is one of the most impresive you will ever see, and you can take that and the other main attractions in in a half day.

Never been to Salamanca, but it's on my list. If you take a day to see Avila and Segovia, spend the night in Segovia, you can spend two days in Salamanca.

Or do the reverse if you are coming from Portugal.

That my two cents not knowing the details of where you are starting and ending your trip.

by Maurizioago

I'd go for Salamanca or Segovia. I didn't like Avila much, except for its beautiful and weel preserved walls.

by johnincornwall

We stayed in a little village on the River Cega just south of Valladolid 3 or 4 years ago, and did all these places. Slightly agree with the last poster in that perhaps Avila doesn't have too much to offer beyond fantastic medieval walls - if I recall correctly (I dont have my books right now) the huge walls were built after the reconquest rather than being the usual Roman/Arabic based. Salamanca is pretty impressive in the old town/Plaza Mayor down to the cathedral and the university. And as an avid collector of Spanish books, the bookshops around the uni are a goldmine! It was also the setting for that decent thriller about assassinating the US President, cant recall the name.

As with other posters I agree you should do all 3 in 3 days, they're none of them that big. Another alternative is to take in Zamora, depending on which way you are heading to Portugal. Maybe Segovia/Zamora/Salamanca? Toro worth an hour stop on the way.

by greenday

Thanks everyone for your replies. After reading what you have said it seems we might be able to fit in all 3 after all, probably with just a half day at Avila. Would we be best to see Avila early in the morning, or late afternoon and spend the night? We will be travelling by train, starting in Madrid then moving through Andalusia (Cordoba, Seville for easter, Granada, Ronda), back to Madrid for an overnight train to Lisbon, then up to Obidos, Coimbra and Porto. I believe there is an overnight train from Porto to Avila or Salamanca. We have 3 weeks in total for Spain and Portugal. Many thanks again.

Travel Tips for Segovia

The dog that did not like music!!

by Jefie

This picture always makes me laugh because it reminds me of a funny moment that happened during our day in Segovia: that poor street performer was trying to entertain passersby, but the dog obviously had a very low opinion of his musical talent as it would start howling at the top of its lungs everytime the guy would play a note on his saxophone. I thought they might be putting on a funny act together until I realized that the saxophonist was doing his very best to ignore the dog and keep on playing. The result was rather cacophonic, but it did entertain us for quite a while!

Banks and ATMs

by mindcrime

In case you’re out of money there are many banks around (at least 2 of them at Calle de Cervantes that leads to plaza Mayor) and even on weekends when they are closed you can use their ATM machines so to have some more euros to spend at the souveris shops or in one of the restaurants (come on you have to try the cochinillo!).

I think that Segovia is more cheaper than Madrid. One night in a nice bar I drunk 5 beers and I paid 5.50 euros…. Oh yes! :) staying with Brazilians and speaking turkish in a restaurant! :)

Beautiful Views

by MarvintheMartian

The countryside views from Segovia are fantastic. This picture was taken from the Alcazar looking toward the Church of La Vera Cruz. I'm sure the view from this church is equally as stunning toward the Alcazar!

In Avila and Segovia both, I noticed...

by morgane1692

the habit of using raisins in the concrete mix used to keep the stone walls together. A tradition unique to medieval southwestern Europe, I think, but it looks good. That's what counts. And the fact that the raisins have lasted for so many years now, right? ;-D

DYC's DISTILLERY

by Chus69

In the picture you can see my friends Fredo & Pablo, dressing their fashinable clothes to drive these wonderfull motorbikes. I'm sure you are admiring the red and blue ones, and not the perfect pose of Fredo, you are losing your time.

Comments