1898 Hotel

Hotel 1898
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 103% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Superb location, even better breakfast

Hotel 1898 is located right on La Rambla, and we enjoyed being near the center of Barcelona's party atmosphere. The old city center is just across the street. Museums, restaurants and shopping are all within walking distance. I would have rated this hotel as a great experience, but it did have one flaw. Our room was fine - fabulous, in fact. However, my children's room, which was next door to ours, had a musty mildewy odor. Very strange. I think their room number was 330. Or maybe it was 329. I can't remember. We would have asked for another room, but teenagers, being less picky than us persnickety adults, didn't want to be moved.

Unique Quality: Rooms and beds were comfy, A/C worked really well, rooms were quiet. The staff was really helpful and the front desk had some very good restaurant recommendations. One of the best features of this hotel is the breakfast. Go for the buffet. It has an amazing selection of food, from delicious fruits and yogurts, to cheeses, Iberian ham, pastries, cakes, and champagne. I ate far more than I usually do that time of morning, and reminded myself that you live only once, and anyway, I'd be walking it off shortly with all the sightseeing we had lined up.

• Avoid this hotel

My husband and I were very disappointed with our stay at the Hotel 1898 starting with our arrival. We chose this hotel for its location, primarily, and the hotel is located on La Rambla. When our cabdriver pulled up to the door, on La Rambla, and we tried to enter the hotel, the staff very rudely waved their arms and scowled at us. We didn't know what was going on. When we did enter the hotel, we were not greeted with words or smiles. As it happens, there is a main entrance to the hotel on a side street which we and the taxi driver were unaware of, since the hotel's address is on La Rambla. This sort of reception at the desk was commonplace, we found out. Often, when passing through the lobby, there would be four or five staff members standing around and not one would greet you or look you in the eye, let alone smile at you. When inquiring about tours or transportation you are on your own. No one offers to make a call for you or a reservation or even draws you a simple map. No brochures are given to you. When you approach the desk, no one looks up or acknowledges your presence until they are done what they are doing; even when there is more than one clerk present, they all ignore you. I have never encountered such rudeness in any hotel. Our room, a "superior" had no view and no balcony. The bathroom is lovely but there are serious safety issues with the slick marble surfaces when wet. Also the pool area is very slippery. Be careful that the staff doesn't take your towel or slippers when you are still in the sauna (!) because it is a long walk to the reception area to get another one. Above all, don't make any phone calls, we were charged 103.45 Euros for 5 phone calls, none lasting more than 6 minutes. Some very ill will was created here that could have been alleviated by a smile at the desk or some assistance with a ferry reservation.

More about 1898 Hotel

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member RedN

This is the first time I've ever commented on a hotel but find this website invaluable for honest appraisals of hotels around the world. I know it's probably more likely that a poor hotel/etc would warrant someone posting comment but I was so impressed with Hotel 1898 that the hotel deserved some more warranted praise.

Ideal location on La Ramblas, the hotel is a new, nice looking hotel with courteous staff. The room was even cleaned twice a day- once at lunch and then another when we were out at night - never known that! Lovely shower (always a bug of mine when travelling, so often poor showers), plasma tv, comfortable bed - only thing I had a problem with is working out how to use/close the safe.

Barca is a great city, and this booked through expedia was the perfect hotel. Best I've stayed in I'd go as far to say.

fabulous hotel

My mum and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Hotel 1898 and it was fabulous. It must have been very recently decorated, the rooms were immaculate and the decor fantastic, it really is a beautiful hotel. The location is perfect, at the nicer end of La Ramblas with everything you need close by, it was a treat to return to the tranquility of the hotel after a busy day sight seeing.The staff were attentive, polite and spoke perfect english. The only down side was the price of drinks at the bar which although you expect, was a little hard to swallow after having had a gorgeous three course meal for two at a local resturant for the same price as two gin & tonics.
Although the roof top pool was still undergoing refurbishment during our stay, the basement pool and surrounding facilities were more than adequate.

Nice Decor Nice Staff Good Location

The 1898 Hotel is in a good location, the decor is very pleasant and the atmosphere quiet and peaceful.

However our stay was marred by the rooms being too hot. Strangely, rooms have lots of flashy controls for individualising sound and lighting but have none for temperature and have no air conditioning unit. We were sweating buckets and this is in March! So goodness help anyone staying there in August! We had no option but to open our windows which then brought in lots of noise.

Our other bug bear was that this is one of those hotels which seems to think that twin beds pushed together somehow constitutes a double room. Very disappointing for a romantic break!

1898: a jewel on the noisy ramblas!

by TripAdvisor Member RobiOne

We must admit that we selected the hotel after reading enthousiastic reviews from other people. We had not found a place in our first choice (Banys Orientals) and were almost falling in the trap of the fancy website of GAT RAVAL.
Still, one of the reviews claimed 1898 was not at all a luxury hotel and staff was unhelpful so we were warned...

Our experience was JUST PERFECT.

As we arrived, we were upgraded to a superior room with no extra charge because all standards were taken.
The room was tastefully decorated. Having myself worked in the building sector I particularly appreciated the choice of marbles, the quality of the parquet and the finishings.
The air conditioning was not perfectly working, so they sent a person to fix it within minutes.

Reception people were helpful and friendly (maybe because I am fluent in Spanish and we could exchange more)and the hotel very clean.

The only negative thing we experienced was the room service, really too slow...

If you can choose your room, prefer one that does not overlook the street: everybody knows the Spanish (but also the visitors of Barcelona!) like to celebrate and stay up late! The alternative is to bring your earplugs!

We will definitely go back to this hotel, maybe even organize a business event there, because the facilities are brand new!

Great location, generally ok

by TripAdvisor Member Spuggers

this is quite a good hotel with some great facilities and a great location for exploring Barcelona. The shower is a challenge to switch on, but generally everything is functionally ok. The downside is that there is not much extra here. There are some nice little touches but nothing extra special. The rooms are very clean and everything is new and looks great but I just got the impression I got a lot more in terms of functionality in other hotels of a similar price. I would stay there again, but wouldn't rush back.

Very, Very, Very good!

by TripAdvisor Member Maurjmuisc

Beautiful Hotel located on Ramblas was an old buildig of Company Tabaccos of Philippines converted in Hotel -
If you want live a Barcelona holiday with a strong ( classic room) quality - price value for money don't miss: why?
a)Close to Plaza Catalunya ( Starting point of Bus Turistic see sight ( make a two day ticket, you need!) and Barrio Gotic and the Cathedral is about 5-8 minutes by walk.
b)Classic room and is a good size not too much large but was very pleasant stay and is equiped with high standard like a a big Lcd TV.
c) Very, very good hall
d) Pleasant pool and fitness room at - 2 floor.
e) Staff friendly and very helpfully.
f) Wonderfull breakfast!!

Usually in my holiday m me and my wife stay in four stars hotel but we think that this one is much close to five star.

Don't miss in Barcelona

Maurizio
Italia

Amazing Gem

by TripAdvisor Member maliblue

My fiance and I just finished a 3 night stay at 1898 and was wonderfully suprised at every turn... the style of the hotel is fantastic, the service was top notch and the bathrooms made you look forward to a shower (I am not sure where all that water comes from...).. the underground pool is in what appears to be an old wine cave with water sculptures, it was beautiful.......the only suggestion I have is to make sure that you get an exterior room if you want to feel part of the city, the interior rooms look out upon a small courtyard of the hotel which is not unique. I have travelled extensively and stayed at hotels as varied as the burj al arab in dubai or the George V in Paris.. this hotel is not five star, but one of the nicest in town four stars you could find.....also, skip the breakfast as with most hotels in spain, it is better to take a walk down the street..... Try to attend and opera if that is your thing.. the opera is just around the corner. Also, there is a very modern and chic restaurant with great food just across the Ramlbas called "Attic"... stop by early or have the hotel call for reservations.....

What a beautiful, elegant and tasteful hotel !

What a beautiful, elegant and tasteful hotel! We stayed 4 nights and wished we could stay longer in order to enjoy some time more the beautiful environment and excellent service. We will certainly come back.

Hotel 1898 vs. Grand Hotel Central

by rsmillner

Hello:
My partner and I are traveling to Barcelona in late May and have bookings at both of these hotels. We booked these two because they both have rooftop pools (is it warm enough to swim outside in late May?) and we wanted to be near the Barri Gotic and El Borne. Any information about these properties would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks