AB Viladomat Hotel Barcelona

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about AB Viladomat Hotel Barcelona

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Johnor99

Stayed at Ab Viladomat in early March. It was nice and clean and in a good location. Breakfast was quite spectacular - everything on offer - english & continental - even chocolate cake.It is about 20 mins walk from the Ramblas. The airport bus stops very close to the hotel.
Be careful around the Ramblas though as I was nearly robbed by some youths.
We found a nice Irish Bar called Scobies on Ronda Universitat a few minutes walk from Placa de Cataluna. The owner was friendly and they show lots of GAA matches there.

Absolutely Excellent

by TripAdvisor Member P-Hopper

The Breakfast, the room, the service all top notch. The only reason that this is not a 4 star hotel is lack of swimming pool spa, etc.
Otherwise, this hotel is definitely up there with the Shearaton's and Westins.
Hotel staff were all friendly.

I agree and second all of the other positive reviews regarding AB Viladomat. I cannot emphasize the cleanliness and spaciousness of rooms.
Only downer, was road noise/traffic. if you are a light sleeper, consider earplugs. But the view of the busy street in the morning, with sunshine pouring in---is kinda neat.

The only difficulty was finding the place from Sants station. When you reach the intersection the hotel is located on (if you are walking) you could walk right by as the sign is quite discreet.

Location i proximity to sights is good if you are fit, but possibly a slight problem if you are not able to walk. However, bus stop is almost right outside the door and taxis abound (llike new york). I would stay at AB Viladomat again and again!

Clean, pleasant and good value

My husband and I along with three friends stayed at the Hotel AB Viladomat late Janaury and we can highly recommend it for good value and pleasant place to stay. The rooms were spacious and clean with fresh modern decor. The large tiled bathroom was spotless with a lovely marble finish. Shower was heaven after a long day's sightseeing. The only thing missing was tea and coffee making facilities. For breakfast buffet you could choose from orange juice to champagne, bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs to fresh fruit salad. There was also chocolate cake and strawberry cheesecake available!!.
The only draw back of the hotel was it's location. It was 20 to 30 mins walk to Playa de Catalunya and Las Ramblas but we found that the No. 41 bus ran along next street (Carrer de Calabria) on its outward journey from the city centre and returned along (Carrer de Rocafort) which is two streets up. The nearest metro station was about four blocks away (10/15 mins walk) if you are wanting to go further field. Purchase a Barcelona Card at the Tourist Information desk in the airport if you are staying a few days as it gives you free travel on buses and Metro, as well as discount into a lot of the attractions, we certainly got our money's worth. The Aerobus which runs to and from the airport stops two minute walk from the front of the hotel on Avinguda de Roma, and the Sants railway station is approx 10 mins walk.
Overall we decided it was a good choice and we would have no hesitation in booking again.

Great hotel, good value

by TripAdvisor Member RWC99

I had a very pleasant stay for a business + pleasure trip to Barcelona in Feb 2005. The rooms are nicely appointed, and the bathrooms are spacious and clean! The staff is friendly and accommodating, even to us “silly Americans” who make no attempt to speak Catalan or Spanish! The breakfast buffet is delicious and offers a nice variety for the price (12,50Euros per person). The business part of my trip was a training class, held in their basement salon. The training room was bright and comfortable, despite being underground and windowless. The tea/snacks service was sufficient, bottled water was bountiful.

For the pleasure part of my trip (I stayed on for the weekend after the class), the hotel was in a great location. I quite enjoyed the longish walk (about 12 city blocks) to the attractions and shopping areas (Pg. Gracia, Casa Batllo, etc.). Those are not into walking that distance can certainly catch a taxi very easily (they are bountiful and cheap). I would certainly stay here again when I’m back in Barcelona.

Great hotel good location

My husband 2 girls and I stayedat A B Viladomat in Jan. 2002. It was our 1st visit to Spain and although we had done background research on Barcelona and knew how to get around the staff were very helpful, providing us with tourist maps and giving us advice on what to see etc. All had a high standard of English.

The hotel was very child-friendly with very competitive rates. The room was gorgeous as was the ensuite bathroom with toiletries replenished daily. breakfast was a buffet with a good selection of breads, cold meats, cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurt and cereals. Their coffee was delicious!

The location is quite good too - bus stops outside and opposite the hotel, with Sants station within walking distance. Metro stops are 10 mins walk away (several stations, different lines scattered around hotel location). Placa Catalunya was just a short bus ride away. There were plenty of food places locally to eat at.

Anyway, all I can say is that our stay in Barcelona at that time (weather was not good due to time of year) was definitely enhanced by our staying at this hotel.

Superb hotel, not without a few niggles though.

by TripAdvisor Member Attwell99

Myself & 2 friends stayed here in august 2004 for 5 nights. Upon booking i requested a room with 3 proper beds to which i was told i would have them without fail. Upon arrival we were very impressed with everything until we opened the room door to find a flimsy camp bed in the room. It took at least 30 minutes of arguing with the hotel manager to resolve the problem & get a 3rd proper bed in the room but they did it in the end. My only problem during the stay was that the temperature in barcelona was unreal, it was extremely hot & the cleaners insisted in turning off the air conditioning every time they cleaned resulting in an uncomfortable room for about 30 minutes until it got itself going again.
Upon check out they tried to charge us for phone calls we never made & for a blue movie that we also did'nt watch. Again 30 mins of head to head with the manager resolved it.
All in all i'm sure we had an isolated few problems & nobody should be put off staying here. Great location & superb quality hotel.

Poor Room, Lack of Facilities, do not recommend

We arrived at 12 and was checked in to a very small room, which was very warm. We were pleasantly suprised at the price of the mini bar (only 2 euros for a beer) so had a few drinks.

The hotels location does let it down, we had to carry our bags for approximately 15 minutes from the station. With the only other option being a Taxi.

We returned to our room and activated the Air Conditioning, over the course of the next few hours the room got progressively warmer. At 1AM I went to reception to complain about the heat. We were advised that air conditioning is only turned on in June (we arrived in March) and therefore our attempts to cool the room actually heated it (as when AC switched on it heats it). There were no notices to this effect in the room or anywhere in the hotel.

I requested that we were moved to another room, which was rejected (no reason given). By this time the room was approximately 35 Celcius and we had no windows to attempt to cool the room down. After a further complaint the night porter came up with a special key to open the door/window. As he was leaving, he stated that were staying in the hotel at our own risk as the window/door was accessible by the road.

So from the extremes of the heat to the noisy road (half wondering if were going to get an unwelcome visitor) we didn't get any sleep.

I tried to settle this matter with the manager in the morning, however he was not available. No compensation or discount on the rate was offered for the sleepless night we suffered. I am taking this up with the booking agency as we speak..

Awesome staff, awesome location, awesome hotel!

The hotel was awesome, the room was very well tended too, all modern facilities. The front counter staff was friendly and helpful and the food that we ordered from room service was excellent (veal hamburger, sandwich). From this point in the city, my wife and I walked to La Ramblas made our way up and down it, also walked throughout the entire Gothic area easily found La Cathedral. It was a lengthy walk but it was beautiful, and it was so easy to get around the city on foot (at least this part of it). There were plently of resturants within walking distance and the surrounding area was plesant and a short walk to Bareclona Bus/Train terminal. (it is on the same street as the hotel).

Next time I come to Barcelona, I will absolutely stay here again!

Very Poor Location in Rough Neighbourhood.

The hotel is very poor and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

They have renovated the rooms, however the finish was very poor, the wardrobe door fell off when opened. The laminate floor had massive gaps in it, which I nearly tripped up on.

Also this is in a very rough neighbourhood, as I left the hotel I saw a tourist being mugged right outside the front of the hotel.

Overall, I didn't feel safe during the stay and the facilities did not help.

barcelona

by pumpkinn_juice

Hi there

Im planning on taking my boyfriend to barcelona for 5 days in the summer. Would somebody please advise me what the Ab Viladomat Hotel is like and also how much money should I budget for food, transport and having fun ...

pumpkinn