AC Diplomatic

Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
Renaissance Hotels Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• perfect stay

Jo tenia 5 dies en hotel AC, l'habitació era molt agradable. L'hotel està situat al centre de Barcelona, molt a prop del metro que ens permetrà passar tranquil.lament per la ciutat.
    Les habitacions de l'hotel és molt tranquil i molt espaiós.

• akskibunny's Profile Photo

Classy & Comfy in BCN

We stayed in Eixample the last time in BCN and loved the AC Diplomatic Hotel. It was reasonable (about $150/night) and is one block from the Metro, shops on Passaig Gracia and Casa Mila. The room was very large and comfortable. There is a roof-top gym and lounging area with a small pool which was nice to get away for some peace and quiet from the masses. They also provided complimentary beverages stocked in the mini fridge... very nice when you get "home" parched from a night of trying to keep up with the locals!

(I think we booked on Expedia)

Unique Quality: Loved the sun deck on the roof.

• Great location and lots of style

I stayed here for 3 nights in summer of 2008. It was recommended to me by someone who had stayed there recently. I found the location to be excellent for visiting Barcelona's Modernista architecture sites, one of the primary goals of my visit. The rooms were very stylishly decorated with contemporary furniture and the bathroom was a glistening combination of marble, glass and chrome. The pool was on an 8th floor terrace and while small, seemed little used. During my stay, the sauna in the pool/exercise area was out of order for the three days of my stay. The housekeeping staff kept my room immaculately clean and even organized loose papers and small personal items on the desk and bathroom sink top. The staff seemed friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English. The hotel is located only one block off of Passeig de Gràcia which puts you within a few blocks of a multitude of shops and restaurants in addition to some of Barcelona's most visited architecture. I did not eat in the hotel, so can not speak to the quality or price of the food there. The air conditioning functioned perfectly for me, so i did not have the problems mentioned in the previous review.

Unique Quality: Great views of the Sagrada Familia from my room window on 10th floor. 8th floor sundeck and pool. Close to Metro access. Nice coffee shop right across street. Clean and pleasant internet/computer center across street at 3 euros per hour. Passeig de Gràcia, one of Barcelona's most elegant thoroughfares, is only a block away. Aerobus (shuttle to airport) stops only 1.5 block walk from hotel on Passeig de Gracia.

Directions: Eixample

• eurotraveler5's Profile Photo

4 Star Price -- 2 Star Quality

We stayed here for 5 nights. Major problem with the AC in the room. First night told us that AC not working that early in the season and we would have to leave the window open (to street noise and church bells--and we were on the "quiet" side of the hotel). Next day were told that the AC should work. Technician "fixed" the problem, but woke up in the middle of 2nd night to buzzing thermostat. On the third day, they determined that thermostat was defective and replaced it. Apparently we are not the first people to have this problem. Six complaints about heating/AC problems on TripAdvisor web site--wish I had seen that site before booking this hotel. Refused a reduction on first two nights, then told us manager was "in a meeting" after waiting 15 minutes. Front desk finally refunded two days of the over-priced breakfast (16E per person) that is not included in room rate as compensation, but took us 35 minutes at check-out to deal with this. Would not recommend this hotel.

Directions: Exiample district

More about AC Diplomatic

AC Diplomatic Top Notch

Just returned from Spain (Barcelona and Madrid). Loved Barcelona and the AC Diplomatic Hotel. Hotel is decorated in a modern, minimalist (i.e. Asian) decor. The standard rooms were of good (not great) size and well appointed. Our kids could not get over the fact that the mini-bar was FREE!

The staff was helpful and courteous. All spoke English. Their restaurant recommendations were always right on.

The hotel is situated a few blocks from the North end of the Ramblas and walking distance to fine shopping and eating. Overall, our stay in Barcelona was enhanced by the AC Diplomatic Hotel.

Very close to the shopping streets, clean hotel

We recently stayed at AC Diplomatic Hotel in Barcelona. This is a very quiet hotel with a great view of the city from the balcony near the pool. This hotel is about a 10 minute walk to Las Ramblas and about 2 blocks away from the main shopping street in Barcelona. It is very convenient. The hotel is very modern and clean. The price was reasonable for what you got as well. The staff were also very helpful. No complaints! P.S. you also get a free mini bar when you stay there.

Great views from the rooftop pool

Arrived at El Prat Airport and hired a car from Hertz - very easy drive to this hotel. Straight along the Gran Via and left up Passeig de Gracia and right onto Pau Claris. This means that the hotel is just one block from the Passeig with all its trendy shops and restaurants (and the Bus Turistica stop) and just two blocks from La Rambla to the North of Placa Catalunya.

The AC Diplomatic is part of a chain of hotels in Barcelona and the service offered was high quality - seems that all languages were spoken fluently by the very helpful staff at reception.

The room cost 190 euros for a superior room including valet parking and 7% IVA tax. The very clean room had a comfy superking size bed and there was an enormous marble bathroom and a free minibar. If you stay here you must visit the top floor gym and roof top swimming pool - amazing views of the city.

People staying there were generally couples and it was great to get away from the madness of all the stag and hen parties (of all nationalities, but unfortunately the Brits were the loud drunken ones!).

A great way to visit many places in a short amount of time is to take the Bus Turistica. We took a day ticket at 16 euros each but would recommend a 2 day ticket. There are two tours, one red and one blue = North of the city to the hills and South of the city to the port which takes about 4 hours of bus time for both. We would recommend spending a day on each route as there are so many fantastic places to stop and while away a little time.

Another great way of sampling local life is to spend the evening hopping between tapas bars from early evening through to midnight. Some great ones were BBrB (Passeig de Gracia) and Tapa Tapa (Passeig de Gracia) but sit up at the counter to experience the atmosphere. We found the bars on Las Ramblas to be much more touristy but great for people watching.

The locals were then either getting ready to start partying or heading off to neighbourhood cafes for desserts and coffees. We followed them to Valor on Rambla Catalunya - a chocolate lovers heaven!!! Just pots and pots of hot rich chocolate, fondues, profiteroles. You name it, they had it ... covered in chocolate.

Great hotel in a great location but watch out for breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Superleeds

I booked this hotel after reading the good reviews on this site.

I stayed here on 18/19 April 2004 and the hotel is in a great location.

The only downside to my visit was the issue of breakfast. When I booked the hotel the webpage showed that breakfast was included. I also got written confirmation from the website that this was the case.

However, when I checked into the hotel they stated that breakfast wasn't included. I then had to argue with them and after producing the written confirmation they agreed that breakfast would be included.

However on checkout, I had to have the same argument again which wasn't very pleasant.

As an aside, I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you have small children since the rooms feature a lot of glass and sharp edges.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member Chrisjb66

Stayed here following good reviews on Tripadvisor.
Pluses- good location for 50+ year olds, near to everything but not in the flashier, noisier Ramblas areas.
Good shopping and art galleries to hand
Smart rooms, comfortable beds, free drinks cabinet!
Pleasant, smiling staff
Minuses- dodgy results at breakfast and lousy service at lounge bar.

nice but expensive

by TripAdvisor Member susannahMelbourne

Stayed in this hotel at the beginning of April. The position is great and the hotel is really modern but comfortable. Found the glass bedside tables a bit dodgy and disappointed with the breakfast. On the internet it stated that breakfast was included but found out later that it was not (when we got our bill). Would have argued but running late for our plane. This was disappointing because it made the hotel quite expensive for what you got. Staff very nice and extremely helpful but found english a bit of a problem, Gym and pool area really nice.

1st September & Hotel availability

by plboy

I have noticed that there is many hotels unavailable to book for dates 1-4 September. I just wonder if there is any FERIA or event in the city at that time? What is going on that date? Can anyone tell me? Do you have any recommendation for a good hotel in the city centre? Cheers. Martin

RE: 1st September & Hotel availability

by qaminari

I don't know whether this is why the hotels are full, but the World Congress of Cardiology is on in Barcelona from 2-6 September 2006.

RE: 1st September & Hotel availability

by RicardoBA

Answer: Cruise Ships arrivng and departing.

RE: RE: 1st September & Hotel availability

by Belsaita

No idea about what's going on these dates, but it's still high tourist season.

I only know the hotels that we used for corporate meetings or when colleagues/clients do visit Barcelona. And these are the ones I do recommend when someone ask me: Any hotel from the chains AC, H-10, NH or Apsis are usually fine, corporate hotels (so functional and not specially charming, but good quality/price rates). There are several of these around the city centre, and sometimes they have special deals (first days of September is still low season for business trips so you may try), the most centrally located are:

- Apsis: Splendid, Gran Ronda, Gran Ducat or Atrium (www.apsishotels.com)
- H-10: Gravina, Montcada or Catalunya Plaza. Marina is not bad location but not so central (www.h10hotels.com)
- AC: Diplomatic (www.ac-hotels.com)
- NH: Calderon, Podium, Duc de la Victoria (www.nh-hotels.com)

I've these addresses at hand as my colleagues from the UK ask me for these now and then :-)

RE: RE: 1st September & Hotel availability

by plboy

Thank you all for information. Yesterday I was really confused. I have stayed before at Apsis and NH in Barcelona and all of them were impossible to book. Will try again. Hope will work.
Martin