Albergue New York

Albergue New York
Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Barcelona

children on gothic tourchildren on gothic tour

July 2009July 2009

Here we go ...Here we go ...

Entrance to the marketEntrance to the market

Old Visitors to the City of Barcelona

by jcourtnellsmith

Good afternoon,

My wife and I ( both late 60s ) wish to visit Barcelona for a week in late May.
We are not as mobile as we used to be so we would want to use public transport or taxis.
We would be grateful for recommendations in regard to 3 or 4 star hotels on a bed and breakfast basis, somewhere close to points of interest. Also what is the best full day excursion from the city ( excluding beach resorts ).

by Maurizioago

You could visit Girona as a daytrip from Barcelona. Sitges is a beach resort, but has a museum to visit and is a nice place to spend half a day or a full day. It isn't far from Barcelona and you can go there by train.

I'd recommed to use the Bus Turistic in the city. It stops near the main attractions.

by unaS

Just visited Barcelona this past September as a solo woman 67 y.o.

I stayed at the Urquinaona Hotel and can definitely recommend it. Rally nice desk staff always willing to help.

I agree that the Hop On - Hop Off bus (Autobus Touristica) is a very good deal in Barcelona. It will take you to all of the sites you want to see and the Senior discount for a 2-day ticket is very worthwhile.

Agree also that a day trip to Montserrat is good, but it does entail a lot of walking. It is a day on foot, but with lots of places to sit down and rest.

If you visit only one Gaudi house, I recommend Casa Mila/LaPerera. Many buses and metro trains there. Also the Autobus Touristica HOHO.

Full details on my Barcelona pages.
Have fun!

by sandgrounder

My wife and I stayed in Barcelona in October for three nights. Stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal on Ave del Paral-lel. Hotel was very conformtable and clean and whilst the immediate surroundings were not stunning we chose it because of its convenient location. You could step out of the front door straight into a subway station on the L3 and L2 lines. Using these you could get to all the stops along Las Ramblas without changing within 5 minutes.

Again from the same subway station right outside the hotel there was a funicular railway to take you up Montjuic. This linked in with cable cars that would take you right to the top for some fantastic views over the city.

I would also recommend tickets for the City Bus Tours. I think there were a couple of companies running these where you can buy day or longer tickets that allow you to hop on and off at various attractions including all the wonderful Gaudi buildings.

An absolute must (if you have a head for heights) is to visit Sagrada Familia. Try and get there fairly early in the morning and take the lift to the top of the tower. You won't regret it.

Have fun it is a fantastic city.

by Badger1492

You are in luck! The public transport system is great in BCN. If you have trouble with stairs, then some of the metro stations might be a problem. The buses might be easier for you in that regard. With buses and the metro you should be able to get just about anywhere you want to go.

Here is the main website for public transport in BCN. There is an English button: www.tmb.es

Travel Tips for Barcelona

Barcelona Tip

by l_joo

I met 3 Brazilians in the pension of my stay, they asked me what is my personal opinion about their country Brazil, Oh I said 'Football, Samba' they reply 'That's a very bad image, everybody only think of Football and carnivals whenever mention about Brazil. Oh again I reply. That small pension was a dormitory room with 8 beds 1 bathroom. At night I was so tired but party goes on at the bottom floor, those heavy noise keep coming until I shout 'hey it's 12 midnight now, I want to sleep' but things work out the other way, my room mate quickly shut off his lamp. Oops, I don't mean that, talking to myself, learning a lesson anyway.

En Las Ramblas

by Klod5

The City and Its People

Wherever you stay, the excellent public transportation system gives easy access to the entire city. For atmosphere, you might want to be somewhere near the street La Rambla or in the old town, and thus within easy walking distance of many of the main sights and the waterfront. The architecturally interesting Eixample area is more spacious, with excellent shopping and restaurants; other hotels are relatively far out of the city center. Barcelonans are exceptionally helpful and polite, with an ability to combine efficiency with a relaxed Mediterranean attitude. English is not widely spoken, although most hotel staff speak it adequately. All signs are in both Catalan and Spanish. Both are official languages in Barcelona; like Spanish, Catalan is a romance language with Latin roots.

THE PLAçA REIAL.....

by eden_teuling

It is said that the palsm on the Plaça Reial are the tallest in Spain.

If it is true I don't know but it was great to take this photograph because you can see the brown fruit, the dates......

And this PLAçA is said to be the most wonderful one of BARCELONA....

It is a dozen meters from the Ramblas on your right hand side, coming from the Harbour and going direction PLAçA de la CATALUNYA.

Enjoy them and......perhaps also my TRAVELOGUES?????

Get yourself to one of the local markets

by mesoblonda

Outside of our flat (see my lodging tips), the most amazing market was steps from the door!

Anything and everything you could want was available! From wines to cheese to produce to seafood to jamon to eggs to cafe con leche to spices, this place had it all!

Open everyday with the exception of Monday (I think!), the market was a great place to grab a quick bite to eat or to plan the next meal at the flat.

You will find mercados like this...just ask!

Trend Shopping

by iloveBCNo5 about Shoes / Clothes

If you're looking for great shopping, Barcelona is the place. If you're in the Placa Catalunya area check out Placa Angel. It's right off Catalunya with TONS of stores - Most of the clothes you are looking for can be found here - If you have specific questions send me an email and I can find out for you Fashion is very important in BCN so the trends are ahead of the US and after returning to the states it was obvious to see - If you see local women wearing it, BUY it! You'll regret it if you don't get whatever it is you're looking at in barca - I studied over there and was broke buy the end so I wasn't able to buy all the stuff I wanted to - next trip over there is strictly a shopping trip, and I'm not really a big shopper in the states Due to Euro/$ conversion you do lose a little money but most prices are fair - you can spend a lot though if you want

Comments