America 32 B&B

Calle America 32, Barcelona, 08041, Spain

More about Barcelona

Venetian TowersVenetian Towers

Excavations of the Santa Caterina ConventExcavations of the Santa Caterina Convent

Outside the house of Gaudi.Outside the house of Gaudi.

the magic fountainthe magic fountain

Location of La Palau de la Musica

by lindanne

Can anyone tell me if the Palau de la Musica is near the Gothic Quarter? Or what area it's in exactly?
Thanks for any info,
Linda

by Belsaita

It is just next to Gotic, in La Ribera neighborhood. Via Laietana is the 'border' between Gotic and Ribera/Born.

If you consider the Plaça Sant Jaume (Generalitat/City Council) as the center of the Gotic, is less than 10 minutes walking to the Palau, Las Ramblas is less than 15 minutes.... all the Old Town is very compact.

As suggested above, get a good map. The old town is a maze of narrow streets and I still get lost (after nearly 10 years living in Barcelona). Good point is that every time I get lost I discover a nice building, corner or shop... so if I'm not in a hurry I forget about maps ;-)

By the way, if you plan to do the guided tour of the Palau (highly recommended), better book in advance.

Happy travels!

by nomad7890

I have to return to Barcelona! Lately I've been using the little orange guy in Google Maps go take a peek around - so this post sparked my curiosity - but you can see about those narrow streets mentioned ealier if you go to Google maps.

I entered "palau de musica, barcelona" and it came back with "palau de musica catalana". It was quite difficult to get the little orange guy to get into the right street since they are so narrow, but finally I made the map as big as possible and finally! It looks beautiful!

My Catalunya map looks pretty deserted of pins ... hmmm!

by Belsaita

Martha, I just put my 'orange little man' there, just for fun. You're right, is like a skill game to make him on the right street! Very fun! ;-))

The Palau may be my favorite building in Barcelona, but it's very difficult to photography due the lack of perspective. But I'll keep trying...

Let me know when you are able to come here and I'll help you to pin your map

by nomad7890

Gracias Isa! I do need to plan to return - also want to take some of the Pyrenees trains.

I've had lots of fun with this little guy. My grandson in California loves football and the last time I visited we "went" to Manchester as he wanted to find the stadium - but as he had the little guy he accidentally dropped him in the woods, and lost him for a while. I've never laughed so hard! Kept telling him "Justin, you lost him in the woods" and he was bending over laughing and crying. The little guy did come back, eventually but I think we traumatized him.

On a serious note, I've used "him" when I want to make sure, for instance, that there "is" a bus station where Google says there is one, so I place the little guy there just to check. ;-)

Sorry, a little thread hijacking.

Travel Tips for Barcelona

Starting my traveling in...

by Tanechka

Starting my traveling in Europe I was exactly sure, that if ‘ll have chance to visit Barcelona, obviously I’ll go to see famous Gaudi’s creation - Sagrada Familia . Barcelona appeared to be more big then I was thinking of it. After an hour walk under strong sunlight towards the cathedral from Catalonia square , I understand it was a mistake not to use metro. Metro net is not so developed as in Paris, but near the places of interest you can find nearest one.

Casa batlo

one of his works....

by eladr

Casa batlo

one of his works. Gaudi is barcelona and barcelona is Gaudi.
His main 3 buildings(batlo and casa mila) are located
in the same street (pessag de gracia) so it's easy to
see them all.(pessag de gracia metro station)

Make the effort to speak the language

by JulesH

As with any country in which you are a visitor, it is manners to try and speak the language. In Barcelona, the language is Catalan, but most people will be just as pleased if you attempt Castillian Spanish as it shows you are at least making the effort. If you try, most Catalonians will be only too pleased to help you out, and a little language lesson can be a two way thing. We helped a cab driver to perfect his English pronunciation!

The picture shows a little shop selling masquerade masks close to the Picasso museum and looked like it was frozen in time. This is the beautiful, cultural Barcelona I aimed to discover alongside the modern and cosmopolitan port town. I wasn' t disappointed.

Tossa de Mar

by Amareyui

With the less than impressive beaches in Barcelona always congested by the locals and tourists, it is a good idea to take the two hours bus ride from Barcelona to Tossa de Mar.
The beach here is nice and relatively spacious, and water sports oppuntunties are plentiful.
Stroll uphill past the unappealing remains of the Vila Vella is a good spot to enjoy the view of the Mediterranean Sea.

great deals, tons of shoes

by emilybcn about Shoes / Clothes

My favorite area for shopping in Barcelona was portal d'angel and the surrounding areas. There a tons of cute and original shoe shops in Barcelona, especially boots. Portal de angel is a moderately priced area compared to the more upscale passeig de gracia and diagonal.

Comments